Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 490 Q29 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V37
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.91
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: McDonough (Georgetown) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
bllyshrs wrote:

From past comments it looks like a good amount of funds were dispersed in R1. Unfortunately, it’s possible that there were very few $ left for R2. Additionally, this forum doesn’t represent the entire universe of admitted candidates, only a sample group. So it’s also possible that due to the scarcity of scholarships remaining for R2, the few that were given occurred outside of this forum’s participants.

but I cannot digest that not even one candidate got some scholarship. GMAT club has close to at least 40% representation from the MBA aspirants. I think that there is some change in the notification system and that schol decisions will be informed via the packages couriered.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
jnljinson wrote:
bllyshrs wrote:

From past comments it looks like a good amount of funds were dispersed in R1. Unfortunately, it’s possible that there were very few $ left for R2. Additionally, this forum doesn’t represent the entire universe of admitted candidates, only a sample group. So it’s also possible that due to the scarcity of scholarships remaining for R2, the few that were given occurred outside of this forum’s participants.

but I cannot digest that not even one candidate got some scholarship. GMAT club has close to at least 40% representation from the MBA aspirants. I think that there is some change in the notification system and that schol decisions will be informed via the packages couriered.

The package just contains a pen drive with a welcome video and a pdf about the school. It is so disappointing not to get any scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kind of a silly question, but just for my 'education', how likely is it for R2 applicants to receive scholarships, not just at Georgetown but at other schools as well? I always thought that applying in R1 was the best chance of getting a scholarship. My guess is that as the scholarship money pool gets smaller, only great candidates get scholarship offers in the later rounds. Of course, I could be mistaken.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 490 Q29 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V37
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.91
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Not a silly question, and though it is true that earlier rounds can have stronger scholarship funds, usually the difference between R1 and R2 is very slight. I don't have any experience with Georgetown specifically, but for most schools, both competitiveness of the applicant pool and scholarship funds are fairly close between the first two rounds, then change significantly in R3 or later.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by bllyshrs on 24 Mar 2014, 12:47.
Last edited by bllyshrs on 25 Mar 2014, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
AdiRedDevil wrote:
The package just contains a pen drive with a welcome video and a pdf about the school. It is so disappointing not to get any scholarship.

Indeed. No $ love from the package. As has been previously reported here on the forum, it seems $ offers only go out in the admission letter. Here's a quote from the information manual on the PDF.

"Only Full-time MBA Program applicants are automatically considered for a merit-based scholarship as part of the admissions process. Scholarship notification is included in your decision letter. If your offer letter is silent with regard to scholarship, the Admissions Committee was unfortunately unable to provide you with a merit-based scholarship.

Scholarship awards are renewable for your second year of study as long as you maintain good academic standing. These competitive awards are granted based on your academic and professional record of accomplishment, work experience, interview, and potential for leadership. New scholarships are not awarded in year two."

Too bad ya can't earn a scholly for the second year. :S
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I'll echo the surprise and sentiment: the lack of scholarships is baffling and tremendously disappointing. It's definitely not a typical R2 outcome -- was fortunate enough to get money from other programs in R2, and more importantly, the differential between R1/R2 scholarship offers has been minimal more generally.

Something's amiss to not turn up a single dollar from 44 admits. Either there's been a dramatic, bizarre shift in policy at Georgetown, or we're not getting the complete picture. Hard to believe a program would reserve no funds for its largest round of applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.92
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey everyone. Current 1st year at MSB. Just an FYI- last year the online portal did not contain any information on scholarships, but in the actual package the letter did contain scholarship info for me.

Perhaps this year is different, but I would wait until you get the welcome packet before you completely discount potential funds.

Looking forward to seeing people at Welcome Weekend!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
DC1629 wrote:
Hey everyone. Current 1st year at MSB. Just an FYI- last year the online portal did not contain any information on scholarships, but in the actual package the letter did contain scholarship info for me.

Perhaps this year is different, but I would wait until you get the welcome packet before you completely discount potential funds.

Has anyone received any information when their welcome packets should arrive?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CMcAboy wrote:
DC1629 wrote:

Has anyone received any information when their welcome packets should arrive?

I received mine yesterday. The package just contains a pen drive. I am located in India.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
venividivici2016 wrote:
I'll echo the surprise and sentiment: the lack of scholarships is baffling and tremendously disappointing. It's definitely not a typical R2 outcome -- was fortunate enough to get money from other programs in R2, and more importantly, the differential between R1/R2 scholarship offers has been minimal more generally.

Something's amiss to not turn up a single dollar from 44 admits. Either there's been a dramatic, bizarre shift in policy at Georgetown, or we're not getting the complete picture. Hard to believe a program would reserve no funds for its largest round of applicants.

exactly my thoughts .

I was baffled too. Zero schol in R2 is just plain darn lame. ( checked on beatthegmat also , no schols even there ). I can guarantee a slip in rankings from the high amount of offer declines.

Only thing left to do : decline the offer , format the pendrive and reuse it , moan the 200$ I lost on the application. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
jnljinson wrote:
venividivici2016 wrote:

exactly my thoughts .

I was baffled too. Zero schol in R2 is just plain darn lame. ( checked on beatthegmat also , no schols even there ). I can guarantee a slip in rankings from the high amount of offer declines.

Only thing left to do : decline the offer , format the pendrive and reuse it , moan the 200$ I lost on the application. :(

Did you guys check the admit letter on the usb drives? If I remember correctly, that's where the fellowship info was for R1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
My pen drive did not have an admit letter. Just a Welcome video and a "Your Guide to Georgetown MBA" pdf. I'm thinking of calling the Admissions Advisor just to get a sense of whether or not scholarships would be available (even after the deposits are due).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
4YawkeyWay wrote:
My pen drive did not have an admit letter. Just a Welcome video and a "Your Guide to Georgetown MBA" pdf. I'm thinking of calling the Admissions Advisor just to get a sense of whether or not scholarships would be available (even after the deposits are due).

Same, no admit letter in pen drive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
AdiRedDevil wrote:
4YawkeyWay wrote:

Sorry - It's been a long couple of months and my memory is foggy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
thefinancelady wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
4YawkeyWay wrote:

Sorry - It's been a long couple of months and my memory is foggy.

No Probs :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
It's definitive: no scholarship offer in letter (which we've already received) = no scholarship
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
jnljinson wrote:
venividivici2016 wrote:

exactly my thoughts .

I think they may have some financial difficulty this year. Either lack of donations from corporations or alumni or simply their endownment fund had a bad year.

Anyway, I thought long and hard. May ask for deferral request. If not possible, it is a clear decline for me. Seems like some of us may be on the same boat and therefore a good number of declines and good news for those on WL...your offers may be on their way :)

Cheers
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts