Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 03:57 It is currently 23 May 2024, 03:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4609 [47]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [49]
Given Kudos: 1794
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [1]

Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Traditional social science models of class groups in the United States [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1 C, because three different models(views) are discussed: 1-The traditional 2-Social historian Mary Ryan's 3-Ann Oakley's
2 B, i did this by eliminating other options (not sure about this)
3 A, it is clearly given in the passage " Some feminist social scientists, by contrast, have argued that the basic division in American society is instead based on gender
Mary Ryan is one of the "some feminist scientists"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 374
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Traditional social science models of class groups in the United States [#permalink]
Time taken - 6 mins

1.C
2.D
3.A (feminist social scientists argued that the basic division in American society is instead based on gender and not on the economic status as described by the Traditional social science models )
Option E - seems to suggest a similarity
Hope anyone can clear this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [3]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Kudos
manishkhare wrote:
1C 2D 3A (All correct )

Time taken =4 minutes 23 seconds

Regards,
Manish Khare

I have noticed that you often complete passages within a short amount of time with high accuracy. What is your strategy?
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
why D ??

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the most recent feminist social science research on women and class seeks to do which of the following?
A. Introduce a divergent new theory about the relationship between legal status and gender
B. Illustrate an implicit middle-class bias in earlier feminist models of class and gender
C. Provide evidence for the position that gender matters more than wealth in determining class status
D. Remedy perceived inadequacies of both traditional social science models and earlier feminist analyses of class and gender
E. Challenge the economic definitions of class used by traditional social scientists
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8864 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 6 mins 10 seconds , including 2 mins 20 seconds to read
-The author does not state an opinion
- The author merely states that there have been multiple views held by social scientists

1 .Since the author provides 3 different views, he clearly wants to express the differing opinions on women’s class status held by social scientists. Hence option C is the correct answer.

"Recently, though, other feminist analysts have questioned this model, examining ways in which the condition of working-class women differs from that of middle-class women as well as from that of working-class men."

Since the latest feminist social science research changes the view on women’s relationship with other women as well as men, we could infer that this research rectifies the 2 earlier research models.

Answer D

"Some feminist social scientists, by contrast, have argued that the basic division in American society is instead based on gender"
Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Please explain Q2 in detail. I chose B as my answer. I cannot figure out what makes D correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
took around 7 mins.

got 1 wrong...can someone pls explain 2nd to me?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Bob2018 wrote:
took around 7 mins.

got 1 wrong...can someone pls explain 2nd to me?

Bob2018, I didn't address every answer choice in detail, but there's a fairly long explanation of question #2 here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprep-cha ... l#p1959414. Let me know if that doesn't clear things up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Q1 I got confused between C and D can u explain Why D is wrong and C is correct.

Q3) How do eliminate 2nd answer choice i.e " The traditional social science model of class differs from Ryan's in its assumption that women are financially dependent on men."
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [2]

Send PM
Traditional social science models of class groups in the United States [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 1

mallya12 wrote:
Q1 I got confused between C and D can u explain Why D is wrong and C is correct.

Q3) How do eliminate 2nd answer choice i.e " The traditional social science model of class differs from Ryan's in its assumption that women are financially dependent on men."

Question #1 asks us to determine the primary purpose of the passage. To do that, let's take a look at the passage's structure:
  • First, the author introduces "traditional social science models of class groups."
  • Then, the author examines the views of certain "feminist social scientists," which are contrasted with the traditional models.
  • Finally, the author examines the views of "other feminist analysts," which differ from both the traditional models and previously discussed feminist views.

Let's first look at (D):
Quote:
D. propose a feminist interpretation of class structure in the United States

There are a couple of problems with this answer choice -- first, the author does not "propose" a feminist interpretation -- he/she describes two different feminist interpretations of class structure. More importantly, the primary purpose of the passage is not just to propose a certain feminist interpretation, but rather to contrast several different perspectives on class structure. (D) is too narrow in scope, so it is not the correct answer.

Take a look at answer choice (C):
Quote:
C. consider differing views held by social scientists concerning women's class status in the United States

This accurately captures the primary purpose of the passage. The author first introduces the traditional model of class groups, then provides two differing views from a feminist perspective on the issue. From this, we can gather that the primary purpose of the passage is to "consider differing views held by social scientists concerning women's class status in the United States." (C) is the correct answer to question #1.

Question 3

Now let's look at question #3:
Quote:
Which of the following statements best characterizes the relationship between traditional social science models of class and Ryan's model, as described in the passage?

Here is what the passage says about "traditional social science models of class":
Quote:
Traditional social science models of class groups in the United States are based on economic status and assume that women's economic status derives from association with men, typically fathers or husbands, and that women therefore have more compelling common interest with men of their own economic class than with women outside it.

The conclusion reached by social scientists applying "traditional models of class" is that "women... have more compelling common interest with men of their own economic class than with women outside it."

The reason behind this conclusion is that "women's economic status derives from association with men, typically fathers or husbands."

Here is what the passage says about Mary Ryan's findings:
Quote:
Social historian Mary Ryan, for example, has argued that in early-nineteenth-century America the identical legal status of working-class and middle-class free women outweighed the differences between women of these two classes: married women, regardless of their family's wealth, did essentially the same unpaid domestic work, and none could own property or vote.

Ryan's conclusion is that "the identical legal status of working-class and middle-class free women outweighed the differences between women of these two classes."

The main contrast between these two viewpoints is as follows:
  • Traditional models: show that economic status is more important than gender when examining divisions in society
  • Mary Ryan: believes that gender is more important than economic status when examining divisions in society

Now look at (B):
Quote:
(B) The traditional social science model of class differs from Ryan's in its assumption that women are financially dependent on men.

The traditional models described in the passage do make the assumption that "women's economic status derives from association with men." But, is this a difference between the traditional models and Ryan's argument?

Ryan does not specifically disagree with the notion that women are financially dependent on men. She just believes that gender is a more important factor than economic status when examining class in society.

Because the two models do not differ on this point, (B) is not the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Hi bb - why is it that in some questions post answering it the correct answer blinks while we also get to know that we selected the wrong answer(refer pic) however in many (lot many) questions such an option is not displayed and hence post answering it I would never get to know which option did I select.
abhimahna
Attachments

error.PNG
error.PNG [ 20.16 KiB | Viewed 19341 times ]

Originally posted by aggvipul on 16 May 2020, 08:39.
Last edited by aggvipul on 16 May 2020, 08:41, edited 2 times in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5435 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
aggvipul wrote:
Hi bb - why is it that in some questions post answering it the correct answer blinks while we also get to know that we selected the wrong answer(refer pic) however in many (lot many) questions such an option is not displayed and hence post answering it I would never get to know which option did I select.
abhimahna

Thank you! Can you please provide an example of the latter case?
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
abhimahna

abhimahna, I too have been experiencing this problem: looks like the timer got stuck often (same as what aggvipul described -- the answer choice just blinks and my answer doesn't get stored). I had to refresh the page then try again (it always works after page refresh). Tried Firefox, Chrome, and Android app -- all have this problem.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5435 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Victorz wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
abhimahna

abhimahna, I too have been experiencing this problem: looks like the timer got stuck often (same as what aggvipul described -- the answer choice just blinks and my answer doesn't get stored). I had to refresh the page then try again (it always works after page refresh). Tried Firefox, Chrome, and Android app -- all have this problem.

Thank you, I will look into it. Added it to the queue and I will reach out if I need more information. Cheers! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
abhimahna wrote:
Victorz wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
abhimahna

Thank you, I will look into it. Added it to the queue and I will reach out if I need more information. Cheers! :)

Thank YOU!!! The timer, along with the error log, is such an amazing function, making gmatclub an essential part of my prep. :please: :)
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34073 [0]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Victorz wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
abhimahna

One possible reason of this issue could be your internet connection, You clicked on the answer option and your internet was not connected (even for a few seconds) the timer will keep blinking without showing the stats.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Victorz wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
abhimahna

One possible reason of this issue could be your internet connection, You clicked on the answer option and your internet was not connected (even for a few seconds) the timer will keep blinking without showing the stats.

Thanks, SajjadAhmad, for weighting in! A quick update, abhimahna: after I cleaned all the browser cache and history, the timer problem went away!
Not sure what's up with the Android App though, since there is no cache, isn't there?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14034 posts