Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [5]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Asset Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HEC applicants (Sept 2015 intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
rejected without an interview :(
sorry to hear that. how many other schools did you apply to? What was your GMAT if you don't mind sharing. I know you wanted to make the first deadline but did you feel ready?

abilash10 wrote:
rejected without an interview :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hard luck buddy... did they tell you any reason?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
I was about to submit my application but I am worried that my brief WE may handicap my chances of admission. I currently have 2,5 years of WE, will have 3,5 years by the time I matriculate. Do you think I stand a chance to be admitted? Or shall I defer my application?

Profile:
Asian Female GMAT 740,
Specialize in Business Law and Accounting
GPA 3.5
WE 2.5 years
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hello all! We recently interviewed Philippe Oster, the director of communication, development, and admissions at HEC Paris. He discussed HEC Paris' new MBA-MSc in International Finance Dual Degree program for professionals interested in finance or consulting careers. He also provided candid advice for MBA applicants on choosing a school, and encouraged MBA applicants to focus on applying to a few top schools that match both their professional goals and personal mindset. He shares advice that every MBA applicant should hear. You can read it here: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2014/09/admissions-director-qa-philippe-oster-hec-paris/#more-50855.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pre-selected for interview :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Good luck for the interviews KamalKant10!

I received an admit for Sept '15 intake and happy to connect with potential applicants and candidates. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
parismeow wrote:
I was about to submit my application but I am worried that my brief WE may handicap my chances of admission. I currently have 2,5 years of WE, will have 3,5 years by the time I matriculate. Do you think I stand a chance to be admitted? Or shall I defer my application?

Profile:
Asian Female GMAT 740,
Specialize in Business Law and Accounting
GPA 3.5
WE 2.5 years

Hi parismeow!

I know a fellow participant at HEC (Sep '14 intake) who did not have 3 years of work experience at the time of his interviews but he had a great profile and academic record. He told the interviewers that he will complete 3 years by the time he matriculates and they agreed.
So you are eligible to apply if you can cross the 3 year mark before matriculation. However, keep in mind that you will have to make up for the lack in experience by drafting an excellent application.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys!

Good to see a fresh bunch of applicants this year. I am a current participant in the September 2014 intake and would love to help you guys out with your queries.
Feel free to ask questions about the program, interviews, life@HEC, etc. Also, check out the previous year's thread. It is like a treasure chest of information. All those who are preparing for their interviews make sure you go through the "Interview debriefs of GMATClub members" posted in this thread:

hec-paris-sept-intake-class-of-2015-calling-all-applicants-160736.html#p1272278

Also, here are some useful links about HEC:

https://poetsandquants.com/2014/06/10/he ... ne-global/

https://www.economist.com/news/business/ ... yback-time

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattsymonds ... of-europe/

https://www.businessbecause.com/news/mba ... sh-returns

https://soundcloud.com/hec-paris/mba-ol ... -2014-mbat

https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... kings-2013

All those who are done with the process we would love to read about your experiences too. So don't hesitate to write about your application/interview experience as it really helps the other applicants on gmatclub.
Cheers!
Hey,

Thanks for stopping by? What country where you in before HEC & where do you plan to go after?
zat wrote:
Hi Guys!

Good to see a fresh bunch of applicants this year. I am a current participant in the September 2014 intake and would love to help you guys out with your queries.
Feel free to ask questions about the program, interviews, life@HEC, etc. Also, check out the previous year's thread. It is like a treasure chest of information. All those who are preparing for their interviews make sure you go through the "Interview debriefs of GMATClub members" posted in this thread:

All those who are done with the process we would love to read about your experiences too. So don't hesitate to write about your application/interview experience as it really helps the other applicants on gmatclub.
Cheers!
Current Student
Send PM
angelfire213 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks for stopping by? What country where you in before HEC & where do you plan to go after?
zat wrote:
Hi Guys!

Cheers!

Hi angelfire213!

I was working in India and plan to get into the investment banking industry. Which sector do you aspire to get into after your MBA?
I want to move into a marketing function. I know HEC is more Euro centric and I was just looking for someone that successfully transitioned to and American based company afterwards.

zat wrote:
angelfire213 wrote:
Hey,

Hi angelfire213!

I was working in India and plan to get into the investment banking industry. Which sector do you aspire to get into after your MBA?
Current Student
Send PM
angelfire213 wrote:
I want to move into a marketing function. I know HEC is more Euro centric and I was just looking for someone that successfully transitioned to and American based company afterwards.

zat wrote:
angelfire213 wrote:
Hey,

Hi angelfire213!

It's not as difficult as you think it is. HEC has a huge network of more than 50,000 alumni members across the globe. Many of them have been working in American firms after graduating from HEC. Try to get in touch with some of them via LinkedIn. I'm sure they will be happy to help you out with your queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,
Since my journey to HEC has been slightly different than the ones I have read on various forums, I think it will be helpful to share my experience. Off the bat I must give big kudos to the HEC admission team for how swift the whole process was. It was way more efficient than any other school I applied to. I applied on August 2014 deadline for January 2015 intake. In hindsight, being from the over represented Indian-male pool applying so late was not the greatest idea.

The application
The whole essay writing part of the application was not that cumbersome overall. However, smaller essay quantity was slightly misleading since HEC does ask some career related questions that are not part of essays but will require similar level of thinking. I finished the essays in 2 weeks. I know this part is entirely dependent on your individual stories, so I strongly recommend reviewing the essay topics and judge yourself how much time you will need.

Pre-selection
I received the pre-selection decision within 2 weeks of submitting the application. I submitted the application on August 14th and received the pre-selection email on August 26th. It took them about a week to get me information for both interviewers and took me two weeks to get the interviews scheduled and completed.

Interviews
Both the interviews were conducted by alumni based locally. I did spend 4-5 days to figure out the presentation topic and to make sure the presentation had good flow and looked professional. I practiced the presentation few times to make sure I don’t draw a blank on any slides during the interview. The topic I chose was very generic however during the presentation I put a lot emphasis on how it was relevant to me because of my professional experiences. During the presentation I also mentioned a lot of examples of my experiences relevant to the topic. The interviews were very casual (in fact one interviewer specifically asked me to not dress formally, thank god for that, it was a particularly warm day) and were in coffee shops. I presented the slides on my ipad and handed over printed handouts for them to take notes. This worked well in coffee shop environment and I highly recommend this approach if you have access to a tablet.

Interviewer no. 1 was actually not a full time HEC student. He did his MBA from a reputed US school and went to HEC as an exchange student only for one quarter and that too in EIGHTIES. He mentioned that he has been doing the interviews for HEC for 6-7 years but was little surprised that HEC has been asking him to interview. I guess because they didn’t have many HEC alumni in the region I live in. The overall interview was very friendly. It didn’t follow any standard format. The interviewer mixed the usual MBA interview questions with some questions regarding my personal life and work. He asked for the presentation in the middle of the interview and then went back to his questions after the presentation. He did time the presentation, so make sure you practice the timing of your presentation. It was little awkward to ask him questions regarding school since he went there such a long time ago and only for a short duration. But I did ask few questions any way just to show I was interested.

Interview no. 2 did go to HEC full time and went o LBS as exchange student. He went there in early 2000s so he had slightly more updated information and was enthusiastic about sharing some of his good and bad experiences. None of the questions were unusual. Interviewer did not take any notes during the interview so seemed like he was sort of just checking on me rather than doing thorough evaluation. He never asked for the presentation. In fact, when I asked if he was interested in seeing the presentation he reluctantly agreed (out of respect for the work I put in, I guess).

Overall make sure to have your stories straight and don’t try to be someone you are not. Try to create good personal connection with the interviewer and have a genuine appreciation for them spending 1 hour of their weekend with you. The interviewers are doing the interviews as a favor to both the school and you so you better be well prepared otherwise it is insulting to them.
Both my interviewers gave me a very favorable feedback after the interviews and indicated that they will be recommending my application. After the interviews I sent both thank you emails and got positive replies.

Final(??) Decision
I received the final decision exactly 5 weeks from the submission deadline – WAITLISTED. Not a good day. Having been through one waitlist-rejection cycle already once with a different school I was in no mood to go through it again. I thanked the admission coordinator and like any good MBA applicant started googling my acceptance chances. There is not much information out there for HEC so I also contacted few people from previous years’ forums. They were mostly encouraging and suggested me to keep in touch with the admission team and show them how interested you are.

Post final decision
I decided to look for ways to be more visible to the admission committee. Out of nowhere I stumbled upon HEC’s promotional tour, lo and behold somebody from HEC’s development team will be visiting the city I live in. I immediately signed up online for their information session. Within a day or so I got an email from the development team member about wanting to talk to me about my application on the phone. On the phone she explained to me that admission jury liked my application but to maintain diversity they put me on the waitlist. BUT, if I am willing to consider September 2015 intake I will have a very good chance of getting in. Plus I will have time to apply for scholarships and on-campus housing which were already getting full. After contemplating the delay in start time with my wife I finally met the development manager in person and told her that I will be willing to attend in September. I didn’t expect to hear anything for couple weeks thinking I will hear back after the admission jury meets to look at applications from next deadline.

I received an email three days after my meeting with the development manager that I was admitted!!

I hope the post helps other applicants who might be flexible with their term start time. I hope some of the insights regarding my interviews will also be of some use to few of you.
Current Student
Send PM
ninjamba wrote:
Hi all,
Since my journey to HEC has been slightly different than the ones I have read on various forums, I think it will be helpful to share my experience. Off the bat I must give big kudos to the HEC admission team for how swift the whole process was. It was way more efficient than any other school I applied to. I applied on August 2014 deadline for January 2015 intake. In hindsight, being from the over represented Indian-male pool applying so late was not the greatest idea.

The application
The whole essay writing part of the application was not that cumbersome overall. However, smaller essay quantity was slightly misleading since HEC does ask some career related questions that are not part of essays but will require similar level of thinking. I finished the essays in 2 weeks. I know this part is entirely dependent on your individual stories, so I strongly recommend reviewing the essay topics and judge yourself how much time you will need.

Pre-selection
I received the pre-selection decision within 2 weeks of submitting the application. I submitted the application on August 14th and received the pre-selection email on August 26th. It took them about a week to get me information for both interviewers and took me two weeks to get the interviews scheduled and completed.

Interviews
Both the interviews were conducted by alumni based locally. I did spend 4-5 days to figure out the presentation topic and to make sure the presentation had good flow and looked professional. I practiced the presentation few times to make sure I don’t draw a blank on any slides during the interview. The topic I chose was very generic however during the presentation I put a lot emphasis on how it was relevant to me because of my professional experiences. During the presentation I also mentioned a lot of examples of my experiences relevant to the topic. The interviews were very casual (in fact one interviewer specifically asked me to not dress formally, thank god for that, it was a particularly warm day) and were in coffee shops. I presented the slides on my ipad and handed over printed handouts for them to take notes. This worked well in coffee shop environment and I highly recommend this approach if you have access to a tablet.

Interviewer no. 1 was actually not a full time HEC student. He did his MBA from a reputed US school and went to HEC as an exchange student only for one quarter and that too in EIGHTIES. He mentioned that he has been doing the interviews for HEC for 6-7 years but was little surprised that HEC has been asking him to interview. I guess because they didn’t have many HEC alumni in the region I live in. The overall interview was very friendly. It didn’t follow any standard format. The interviewer mixed the usual MBA interview questions with some questions regarding my personal life and work. He asked for the presentation in the middle of the interview and then went back to his questions after the presentation. He did time the presentation, so make sure you practice the timing of your presentation. It was little awkward to ask him questions regarding school since he went there such a long time ago and only for a short duration. But I did ask few questions any way just to show I was interested.

Interview no. 2 did go to HEC full time and went o LBS as exchange student. He went there in early 2000s so he had slightly more updated information and was enthusiastic about sharing some of his good and bad experiences. None of the questions were unusual. Interviewer did not take any notes during the interview so seemed like he was sort of just checking on me rather than doing thorough evaluation. He never asked for the presentation. In fact, when I asked if he was interested in seeing the presentation he reluctantly agreed (out of respect for the work I put in, I guess).

Overall make sure to have your stories straight and don’t try to be someone you are not. Try to create good personal connection with the interviewer and have a genuine appreciation for them spending 1 hour of their weekend with you. The interviewers are doing the interviews as a favor to both the school and you so you better be well prepared otherwise it is insulting to them.
Both my interviewers gave me a very favorable feedback after the interviews and indicated that they will be recommending my application. After the interviews I sent both thank you emails and got positive replies.

Final(??) Decision
I received the final decision exactly 5 weeks from the submission deadline – WAITLISTED. Not a good day. Having been through one waitlist-rejection cycle already once with a different school I was in no mood to go through it again. I thanked the admission coordinator and like any good MBA applicant started googling my acceptance chances. There is not much information out there for HEC so I also contacted few people from previous years’ forums. They were mostly encouraging and suggested me to keep in touch with the admission team and show them how interested you are.

Post final decision
I decided to look for ways to be more visible to the admission committee. Out of nowhere I stumbled upon HEC’s promotional tour, lo and behold somebody from HEC’s development team will be visiting the city I live in. I immediately signed up online for their information session. Within a day or so I got an email from the development team member about wanting to talk to me about my application on the phone. On the phone she explained to me that admission jury liked my application but to maintain diversity they put me on the waitlist. BUT, if I am willing to consider September 2015 intake I will have a very good chance of getting in. Plus I will have time to apply for scholarships and on-campus housing which were already getting full. After contemplating the delay in start time with my wife I finally met the development manager in person and told her that I will be willing to attend in September. I didn’t expect to hear anything for couple weeks thinking I will hear back after the admission jury meets to look at applications from next deadline.

I received an email three days after my meeting with the development manager that I was admitted!!

I hope the post helps other applicants who might be flexible with their term start time. I hope some of the insights regarding my interviews will also be of some use to few of you.

Thanks for sharing the experience ninjamba. Good to hear that you made it. Welcome on board! :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM