Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51451 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: HEC Paris - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris (Sept Intake) Class of 2015: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hey guys, good luck with your applications! If you have any questions let me know.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Hey everyone is it too early to fill out the application form for HEC Sept 2014 Intake???? What are the essay topics this year?? :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Send PM
gr8tWo wrote:
Hey guys, good luck with your applications! If you have any questions let me know.

gr8tWo - Thanks for the wishes and helping out!

HEC Paris MBA ranked 8th in the world by The Economist, 2nd in EU, 1st worldwide for networking!

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/ ... h-mba-2013
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi,

I am new to this group. I don't know if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. I am planning to take MIF in HEC for september 2014. What is the Ideal time to apply for this course (Session) ? will there be any special preference for people applying at first ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
farhanc85 wrote:
Hey everyone is it too early to fill out the application form for HEC Sept 2014 Intake???? What are the essay topics this year?? :)

It is never too early! The earlier the better (as long as you have a good application prepared)! Better chances for getting accommodation (especially for those who want an apartment (couples)), better chances for scholarships and more time to receive guidance from existing students so you can be better prepared when you arrive.

The September 2014 intake is going to be the luckiest ever as the HEC Paris MBA is constantly improving and HEC has great things in store for the next September batch.

Good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.81
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Just submitted my application. A few weeks back I received the following e-mail from HEC:

"You have recently submitted a Candidate Profile and I would like to thank you for your interest. You appear to have a profile we would like to pay special attention to. We would be happy at this stage to provide you with some more elements for you to best prepare your application and explore the ways in which HEC Paris MBA could add value to your career, including putting you in contact with current students or alumni."

Wondering if anybody else received this message?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi HEC Aspirants - So at last! Its done - Got my admission confirmation for Sep 14 intake on 15th Nov :-)

Super duper excited! If any of you guys need any help in the admission process, feel free to PM me.

Admitted folks - lets get in touch.

my profile - 29 M, Indian, 710 gmat, 9 years work ex (Sep 14) currently managing information security function for a middle eastern bank.

Cheers & good luck,
Subbu
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jthespartan wrote:
Just submitted my application. A few weeks back I received the following e-mail from HEC:

"You have recently submitted a Candidate Profile and I would like to thank you for your interest. You appear to have a profile we would like to pay special attention to. We would be happy at this stage to provide you with some more elements for you to best prepare your application and explore the ways in which HEC Paris MBA could add value to your career, including putting you in contact with current students or alumni."

Wondering if anybody else received this message?

@jthespartan, Yup - i too received this mail and as of today admitted. Good luck to you mate!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.81
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I woke up to an interview invite this morning. VERY excited. Now I have to prepare the 10 minute presentation. Just wondering, what topics did you guys cover?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
jthespartan wrote:
I woke up to an interview invite this morning. VERY excited. Now I have to prepare the 10 minute presentation. Just wondering, what topics did you guys cover?

Congrats for the interview invite! You are more than half way there!

My criteria are a) pick a topic you are passionate about b) pick a topic that the interviewer is likely to find interesting and engaging. If you meet these two criteria you are good to go. Be prepared to answer questions around your presentation.

Good luck with your interviews!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gr8tWo wrote:
jthespartan wrote:

Congrats for the interview invite! You are more than half way there!

My criteria are a) pick a topic you are passionate about b) pick a topic that the interviewer is likely to find interesting and engaging. If you meet these two criteria you are good to go. Be prepared to answer questions around your presentation.

Good luck with your interviews!

I agree with gr8tWo- These are the two criteria i also kept in my mind - my topic was on "Kalpathy Car Festival and Its Socio-economic Impact" - Kalpathy is a 500 year old heritage village, my native place. Her Car festival attracts over 500,000 people in 10 days. I have been a part of this festival for over 20 years - both the interviewers liked the concept and my passion towards it :-) - hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: HEC '15
Send PM
Hi guys,

I am thinking about applying to HEC in January, as I am currently finishing my 3-year undergraduate studies(BSc in Finance and accounting) in Poland(the 2nd best Economics University in Poland). I took GMAT and IELTS recently - scores 680(Q47 V36), 7.5 respectively. My GPA in June 2014 will be 4.5/6.0(polish scale, which by the way is a disaster because grade 6 is included in the grading scheme but in reality oftentimes the highest grade on the exams is 5). I have had a one monthly internship in one of the best banks in Poland(July-August 2013) and now I got myself a job in the biggest polish online exchange office(the founders of the company received the EY Entrepreneurs of the year awards last month, so this is a highly prospective business) and I believe I will work there until my graduation and there is a chance that I will be offered then a place in a new branch in London, where they are expanding next summer. I have also some certificates(Wharton, Columbia, Un. of Michigan) on the subject of finance, management, marketing etc. + I have obtained BEC Higher and LCCI Lvl 3 certificates last summer. I believe that doesn't look bad, but I would like to know whether there is a chance that I will get in. Of course I think about MSc to continue my education but I do not know which one exactly(maybe MiM, maybe MSc in Managerial and Financial Economics). Should I choose any particular programme?

I do not know whether I should add it, but my languages are polish and english. I know some german and only a bit of french(I had french classes in high school, I have forgotten almost everything since then). Is it a disadvantage?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: 2013 Virtual Panel European MBA Admissions Adcom Interview Available Online

Some of the benefits of pursuing a European MBA.

Thank you so much to Marie-Laurence Lemaire, HEC Paris Senior Development Manager, Jeroen Verhoeven, ESADE MBA and Executive Masters and Associate Director of Admissions, and Lisa Piguet, IMD Assistant Director of MBA Admissions and Marketing for an outstanding panel discussion about the European b-school experience.

In the following excerpt, our panelists discussed some of the benefits of pursuing a European MBA.

Linda Abraham: Diego asks “Why choose a European MBA instead of a U.S. MBA? What is the main difference/advantages?”

Marie-Laurence Lemaire
: Yes, this is a tough one…Well, a simple question, what do you want to do after your MBA? If you want to work in the U.S. and be happy with your job…stay in the U.S. and you will be happy. You will get a great education, because you have great schools there, highly ranked and so on, so that’s fine. But if you want to have a really strong diversity, get mixed up with different cultures, people coming from all over the world to have a very rich sharing of experience from people coming from countries that are so remote, sometimes you don’t even know where they are on the map, an MBA in Europe is really the place. I’m sure in Spain, in Switzerland, as well, this is happening, but really the major difference between doing an MBA in Europe or doing an MBA in the U.S., [is] if you want to make that jump into becoming international and to have that experience, an MBA in Europe would be the big difference that it will make on your CV.

Lisa Piguet: Sure. I’m American, I actually can relate to the person who asked that question….The one thing about the U.S. is that you have a different kind of…education process there. But [regarding the] international focus of Europe, the programs here, it’s very different…for example, I would be sitting in a class of 90…but everybody spoke like me. They might have considered themselves Mexican, for example, or Argentinean, but in fact, they were born and raised in the U.S. just like I was. But in the European schools…you’ll actually see the true international diversity that is represented worldwide. So in our program this year, we have 46 nationalities with 90 MBAs, and they’re true…we have one Swiss….There are still a lot of multinational headquarters here and a lot of people want to work in those companies, with the hopes of going elsewhere. I think Europe is one of those places you can do that. Like Marie said, if you really want to stay in the U.S., you’re probably going to attend a 2-year program and you probably will end up staying in the U.S., more likely than not….If you want a global career, my advice is to go to Europe.

Jeroen Verhoeven: I’m completely in line with Lisa and Marie…but I would also link that somehow to back home in the United States, [you] somehow have a differentiating factor. There are a lot of top, top schools in the U.S., but there’s also a lot of different people who go to those schools. If you can present yourself in front of a group to having said, “Okay, I’ve done my MBA in Switzerland, in France, in Spain,” it is definitely something different. It will make you stand out. Standing out, I think, is very important when you’re looking for a job….Competition comes from anywhere, anytime.” So in order to be successful in that fast-changing, interconnected world, having that cultural savviness, hopefully with some additional languages, as well, that can really give you the added advantage to land a job also back home, not even including all the interesting options that we might offer in Europe…I think there are a lot of additional advantages, apart from the cultural richness that you can have, studying here in Europe…from a business perspective, there’s also a clear added value to considering European options.

For the complete discussion, please see the 2013 European Virtual Panel transcript and mp3 audio file.

Still not sure where you should apply, or even if you should apply at all? Check out our B-School Zones for detailed info on individual MBA programs (in Europe or anywhere else) and our Why MBA special report for tips on answering the big “Why MBA?” essay question.

To automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. To listen to the Q&A recordings on-the-go, please subscribe to the Accepted Admissions Podcast.

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: Accepted Podcast, ESADE, HEC, IMD, international student, MBA Admissions, podcast

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Financial Times’ 2013 Global MBA Rankings

Harvard Business School

Drum roll please…The Financial Times ranks the top 25 global b-schools as follows…

1. Harvard Business School

2. Stanford Graduate School of Business

3. University of Pennsylvania – Wharton

4. London Business School

5. Columbia Business School

6. INSEAD

7. IESE Business School

8. Hong Kong UST Business School

9. MIT Sloan

10. Chicago Booth

11. IE Business School

12. UC Berkeley Haas

13. Northwestern Kellogg

14. Yale School of Management

15. CEIBS – China

16. Dartmouth Tuck (tied)

16. Cambridge Judge (tied)

18. Duke Fuqua

19. Switzerland (tied)

19. NYU Stern (tied)

21. HEC Paris

22. ESADE Business School – Spain

23. UCLA Anderson

24. Oxford Saïd (tied)

24. Cornell Johnson (tied)

(You can read about the FT’s ranking methodology here.)

A few points of interest (from the FT’s lead article)

• 51 of the top 100 schools are located in the U.S. including 6 schools in the top 10.
  • 26 of the top 100 schools are located in Europe. London Business School is the top school in that region.
  • 14 of the top 100 schools are located in Asia (up from 12 last year). Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is the top b-school in that region.
  • Since 1999 when the FT began publishing MBA rankings, only four schools have ranked in first place: HBS, Stanford GSB, Wharton, and London Business School.
  • The male-female salary gap this year has narrowed for the first time. Instead of the traditional $20,000 pay gap (three years post-graduation), the gap is down to $10,000 at $126,000 average salary for women and $136,000 average salary for men.
FYI: Poets & Quants published a critique of the 2013 FT ranking in “Stanford Alums Make the Most Dough.” In this article, John Byrne, rankings savant and designer of the original BW rankings, points out anomalies and weaknesses in the FT results.

MBA50 provides additional analysis in “The FT Full-Time MBA Ranking 2013 – Winners and Losers.” Its final line sums up all the hub-bub about rankings – any rankings – beautifully: “Only you can work out the best business school in the world…for you.”

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: Cambridge Judge, Chicago Booth, Columbia Business School, Cornell Johnson, Dartmouth Tuck, Duke Fuqua, ESADE, Harvard Business School, HEC, IE, INSEAD, London Business School, MBA Admissions, MIT Sloan, Northwestern Kellogg, NYU Stern, Oxford Said, Rankings, Stanford GSB, UC Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, Wharton, Yale SOM

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HEC Paris Admissions Blog: My First-Hand Experience with HEC Paris Last week I attended a wonderful conference in Paris hosted by HEC for admissions consultants. We met with admissions staff, faculty, and students. Associate Dean Bernard Garrette addressed us.

I’m going to summarize here a few of my take-aways from the conference and refrain from merely repeating the raw information provided:

HEC provides incredible diversity in a small class placed just outside Paris, one of the business and cultural capitals of the world. (And I had forgotten how beautiful Paris is, but it is a gorgeous city!) Its 220 students represent 40 different countries.

• HEC also offers flexibility with two intakes and a program that takes 12-16 months, depending on internships. Students can participate in up to three internships, which can facilitate career change.

• It is a superb program if one wants to work in Europe either immediately post-MBA or long-term. If a student wants to experience Europe, develop an international network, and then return to his or her home country, HEC recommends that the student do an exchange in the country or at least the region where the student wants to work. There are approximately 40 different exchange opportunities; more and more grads have been returning to their home countries since the 2008 financial crisis.

• The Financial Times has consistently ranked HEC’s MBA highly for marketing. It is also well known for luxury goods marketing with strong ties to Cartier and other elite luxury goods vendors. The school may be less well-known as a factory for CEOs, but according to Dean Garrette, HEC (MBA and other degrees) is ranked #4 worldwide for the number of alumni holding CEO positions in Fortune 50 companies.

HEC, like many MBA programs, invests enormous time and energy in career development. Indeed, it is an integral part of the HEC program. The HEC career management curriculum is on one hand structured and at the same time individualized, with Fridays devoted to career management events.

• While HEC’s Career Management Center (CMC) provides broad guidance to MBA students both as to the viability of their goals as well as to the best means for achieving them, realize that a member of the CMC sits on all admissions committee meetings, and post-MBA employability is clearly an admissions factor.

• The student panel was the last part of the program that I attended. Not surprisingly, the four students – all from different places – were happy with their HEC experience. They all enthused specifically about the geographic diversity of the student body and faculty. Talk about diversity at HEC clearly isn’t just hype or marketing.

I want to again thank HEC for hosting me and the other consultants. Paris is beautiful. The conference was informative. I welcomed the opportunity to learn more about this top European business school. And if you are seeking an MBA that either prepares you to live in Europe or offers you a European experience you too should make the effort to learn more about HEC.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsHEC, MBA Admissions

[/rss2posts]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Student Profile: Sophie Xiao
MBA Student Sophie Xiao worked for 5 years as a senior consultant for Ernst & Young. At HEC she is taking advantage of the school’s numerous exchange partnerships with top schools in the US, and will be joining the Fletcher School Of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University to complete her international study experience.

Learn more here:  Sophie Xiao on Youtube
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: The Start of Something Beautiful: HEC Paris-IBM Business Analytics Initiative
Word on the street is that HEC Paris and IBM are working together. Indeed, we are excited to announce that HEC Paris and IBM are collaborating on an academic initiative that will provide Business Analytics training to our MBA students, helping them to develop core analytical skills that will prove essential in becoming tomorrow’s business leaders. This initiative will feature a number of new courses for MBA students in the Strategy Specialization, with students being exposed to IBM proprietary technologies, engineers, and data scientists throughout the course. This world-class curriculum on Business Analytics was launched on the 16th, 17th and 18th October, as the MBA course on Business Analytics and Big Data kicked off.

By building stronger analytical skills, our MBA students will be able to tackle complex business and societal problems such as predicting and better understanding customer buying trends, optimizing organizational design, collecting and processing competitive intelligence, building an efficient healthcare system, improving retail sales, or helping brand managers gather critical feedback on the success of a marketing campaign. With plans to expand across the curriculum over the coming years, the future of the HEC-IBM Business Analytics Initiative looks bright, with plans to introduce a series of new courses such as Big Data, Strategy Simulation Modeling and Decision Models, Data Mining, Strategy Analytics, Prediction, Social Media Analytical Tools, and Data Visualization in the pipeline. The course itself will be supported by a series of guest-speakers from IBM who will be visiting the campus throughout the year to interact with students. The provisional list of IBM speakers who will be visiting us here at HEC Paris during the course of the year reads as follows:

• Alain BENCHIOU (France): President IBM France
  • Didier BARBE (France): Vice-President, Marketing and External Relations IBM France
  • Katharine FRASE (US): Vice-President and CTO, Global Public Sector
  • Douglas DOW (US): Vice President, Business Analytics Transformation
  • Emily PLACHY (US): Past-President IBM Academy of Technology; Distinguished Engineer, Transformation Analytics
  • Arnold GREENLAND (US): Distinguished Engineer at IBM
  • Maureen F NORTON (US): Distinguished MI Professional, Executive Program Manager, Business Analytics Transformation
  • Sigrid LENTSCH (Austria): Global Leader Growth Play and Strategic Learning Initiative, Smarter Analytics Enterprise Learning Leader
  • Josiane GAIN (France): Executive Manager IBM France University Relations
  • Hammou MESSATFA (France): Government CTO IBM Europe, Government Sales Leader

As students of the IBM-HEC Paris collaboration, participants will receive privileged access to IBM technology, course materials, training and curriculum development, as well as the opportunity to collaborate further with IBM researchers and developers on innovative future projects.

Whilst constituting a vital part of our Strategy Specialization, the HEC Paris-IBM initiative has been structured to teach students vital analytical skills that will help them to prosper in any given sector. Indeed, the initiative has been designed to help meet the current need for business managers with analytical training – a need that exists in most industries today. HEC Paris is leading the way in the promotion of Business Analytics in Business Schools, as we work to transform the business world and how our students perceive it.

These welcome sessions were just the first step in what we know will be a fruitful and longstanding partnership.

Our Big Data & Business Analytics class after Friday's closing session
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts