Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 17:32 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 17:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3.34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all ROSS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
740 GMAT, 5.5 years of Tech Consulting. Wrote really good essays. No invite. I think the increase in applications may have hurt. They usually favor Indians a lot, so was sure of at least an invite. Three dings now, brutal and bitter pill.

Hoping for better luck in other 5 applications. Else it is a wrap for this year.

Looks like it is the GMAT factor for Indians this time. Dont see any Indian with a GMAT score of less than 750 getting an interview invite.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Send PM
sss27 wrote:
Anyone from India, who's scheduled the interview and agreed for the team activity on 7th Feb? If yes, could you please post some details like what are the timings on 7th and where is it in Delhi?

I plan to schedule my interview after a few days but want to book tickets for the event ASAP.

Also, only Skype option for India candidates?

Same query !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
philipemil wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
740 GMAT, 5.5 years of Tech Consulting. Wrote really good essays. No invite. I think the increase in applications may have hurt. They usually favor Indians a lot, so was sure of at least an invite. Three dings now, brutal and bitter pill.

Hoping for better luck in other 5 applications. Else it is a wrap for this year.

Looks like it is the GMAT factor for Indians this time. Dont see any Indian with a GMAT score of less than 750 getting an interview invite.

That is just inhuman man! 750! I was so proud of my 740. Suddenly seems very inadequate. Do any schools admit Indians below 750 now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
I am sure that's not the reason. I have a 750 and long lineage of family members graduating from university of michigan. Wonderfully crafted essays and recommendation. But then, can't help it.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1715 [0]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Gmat 700 8.5 years of solid work ex
From the review I got the essays were pretty stellar and no call !!!!
I am gutted !!!
Everyone talks that gmat is just a data point but from what i have seen maybe gmat is just the only data point
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
I am actually an Indian with 720 GMAT.. I got a call from Ross (only one yet), waiting for the other results..
I have 4.5yrs good tech experience and was pretty happy with my essays..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The more I actually get into this process, the more mysterious it gets. I don't think ANYONE can claim to know exactly how it works. And to be honest, that frustrates me more than anything else. There is no way to say what will work and what will not. No 20 variables that can determine a probability. For an engineer, that is the most frustrating thing ever. :P
But crib all you want, this is the process. So you have to live with it and hope something clicks somewhere.
All the best everyone!
Director
Director
Send PM
Is there anybody planning to attend Ross Team exercise in Delhi. I will be travelling from Bangalore. Will love to network.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sss27 wrote:
I am actually an Indian with 720 GMAT.. I got a call from Ross (only one yet), waiting for the other results..
I have 4.5yrs good tech experience and was pretty happy with my essays..

You just proved my point! No idea what works! :D

Congratulations! Ace that interview!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
The more I actually get into this process, the more mysterious it gets. I don't think ANYONE can claim to know exactly how it works. And to be honest, that frustrates me more than anything else. There is no way to say what will work and what will not. No 20 variables that can determine a probability. For an engineer, that is the most frustrating thing ever. :P
But crib all you want, this is the process. So you have to live with it and hope something clicks somewhere.
All the best everyone!

I think that there are a number of elements we can't control, and this is what's frustrating.
One thing that I believe is important is the story. Not how good are crafted your essays but what they tell. This is the element that I believe frustrates everyone, because it cannot be measured or quantified. There is no way to tell I have a 760 story, you have a 700 story so my story is definitely better. We try to simplify the process and compare GPA, GMAT and so on but this will never work.
Another key element out of the applicant's control are the other applicants. We may be awesome but the truth is that there is an insane competition, and we don't even know how the schools divide applicants in clusters, and who are our competitors in the process.

I only wish everyone the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [3]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I came across this interview of Soojin on P&Q. https://poetsandquants.com/2011/12/15/the-gatekeeper-to-michigans-ross-school-of-business/6/
IMO, she gave pretty good answers.
Few quick figures -
Applicants invited for interview - ~50%
Applicants accepted after interview - ~70%

Keep in mind that the interview took place in 2011 and there has been a massive surge in applications to Ross. So, the %ages might have fallen down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.36
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Didn't get the invite... gutted!!

Secretly wishing that they send a mail today but I know that it ain't gonna happen :(
Totally lost - though have acceptance from two other good schools...I wanted Ross for its Tauber Institute for Operations...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ascar wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
All the best everyone!

I think that there are a number of elements we can't control, and this is what's frustrating.
One thing that I believe is important is the story. Not how good are crafted your essays but what they tell. This is the element that I believe frustrates everyone, because it cannot be measured or quantified. There is no way to tell I have a 760 story, you have a 700 story so my story is definitely better. We try to simplify the process and compare GPA, GMAT and so on but this will never work.
Another key element out of the applicant's control are the other applicants. We may be awesome but the truth is that there is an insane competition, and we don't even know how the schools divide applicants in clusters, and who are our competitors in the process.

I agree. I think the applicant pool is the one thing that just makes it difficult to predict anything. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:
Is there anybody planning to attend Ross Team exercise in Delhi. I will be travelling from Bangalore. Will love to network.

Most likely I will be too. I'll be traveling from Hyderabad. PM me!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
ascar wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
All the best everyone!

I agree. I think the applicant pool is the one thing that just makes it difficult to predict anything. :)

I would like to believe you. I hope you're right. I have a 740 gmat (just about average for an indian), did not take any expert help for my essays, but i do have an offbeat profile and some interesting stories to tell. I did get an interview invite, and I hope what you said holds true in the next round too.

All the best to you guys too.
Director
Director
Send PM
sss27 wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:

Most likely I will be too. I'll be traveling from Hyderabad. PM me!!

PMed you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.36
I don't really think it's the gmat or gpa or any type of scores, I mean my scores are well below average for my pool (I'm a Chinese).

I think your we/ref/essays/ec weight more than scores.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  58   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts