Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 14:30 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 14:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [6]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?) [#permalink]
Thanks, couple more question if you don't mind me asking.

1) In terms of getting a job after MBA, does the start date, Jan intake vs Sept intake matters beside the optional summer internship for Jan intake?
2) Officially they say all rounds are same in terms of difficulty to get accepted, is it true? And is it worth it to apply now for 3rd or 4th round for 2016 Jan intake or should wait for Sept 2016 intake?
3) How are your views on the school so far? Any insights that is not usually shared on the forum?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I am very interested in INSEAD as the program location and student body very much align with my interests. I am white American male, and would love to be able to work and live abroad in the future. I have some concerns that perhaps you would be able to speak to. As much as the school touts international placement it seems like those numbers may be skewed based on how international the student body is. As an English speaking American what job opportunities would I really have outside of say England? I would like to work in management consulting, anywhere in Europe, Asia or Africa would be amazing especially if I had the opportunity to move around, but from researching it seems firms only hire native speakers of the language where offices are located, understandably.

(I understand the language requirement and do speak Spanish and Arabic, but there is no way I would be working in a professional context in either of those languages)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Abhishek,

I recently wrote the GMAT and scored a 680(Q48, V35). My background is as below

34/M/Indian

10 years work ex. Past 6 yrs with Accenture Management Consulting. One of the top performers. Main focus area is oil and gas.

Mechanical Engineer and have an MBA from tier 2 college in India.

MBA%- 62
BE%-65

Social contributions: have been active within Accenture in social initiatives. Apart from that, I have done some more voluntary work in the past but nothing greatly significant.

International experience- Worked around 1year in Australia and 6 months in Thailand

Team handling: Managed 6 resources in Australia. Currently handling 3 consultants.

Leadership:

1. I had set up an entire Analytics centre of excellence for a client based out of Australia. I had 6 resources working under me. I was then given the additional task of strategic sourcing for the client.

2. Currently I am managing a team of 3 consultants to work on a strategic project for a French client. I have been instrumental in providing the client with strategic recommendations related to the oil and gas industry.

Can you please suggest as to what are my chances for INSEAD? How important is the age factor and should i retake the GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
zero722 wrote:
Thanks, couple more question if you don't mind me asking.

1) In terms of getting a job after MBA, does the start date, Jan intake vs Sept intake matters beside the optional summer internship for Jan intake?
2) Officially they say all rounds are same in terms of difficulty to get accepted, is it true? And is it worth it to apply now for 3rd or 4th round for 2016 Jan intake or should wait for Sept 2016 intake?
3) How are your views on the school so far? Any insights that is not usually shared on the forum?

Thanks

Sure, no problem. To your questions:
1) There's no difference in the final job offer, but of course, internship recruitment can be a good test run for the final recruitments, and may allow you to test out before committing full time. Quite a marginal benefit, so don't make a call solely on this.
2) As the cliche goes, "apply when you're ready". In my opinion, 3rd round is fine; the 4th round becomes tricky, specially with the visa/admin challenges
3) Like any institution/organization, there are benefits and drawbacks, but overall, I love it so far - specially driven by the people around. If you have specific questions, you can PM me.

Thanks,
Abhishek
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
themange wrote:
I am very interested in INSEAD as the program location and student body very much align with my interests. I am white American male, and would love to be able to work and live abroad in the future. I have some concerns that perhaps you would be able to speak to. As much as the school touts international placement it seems like those numbers may be skewed based on how international the student body is. As an English speaking American what job opportunities would I really have outside of say England? I would like to work in management consulting, anywhere in Europe, Asia or Africa would be amazing especially if I had the opportunity to move around, but from researching it seems firms only hire native speakers of the language where offices are located, understandably.

(I understand the language requirement and do speak Spanish and Arabic, but there is no way I would be working in a professional context in either of those languages)

Fair question. I think it's more of a relative comparison. Compared to most b-schools, arguably all, INSEAD has the most number of nationalities coming to INSEAD, and perhaps more importantly, going to different geographies. You're correct that most (not all) European jobs will require local language, but things are much more flexible in Asia, Africa and Middle East (in my opinion). Another important aspect is that the INSEAD network is spread very, very well across the globe, so getting that first conversation - the "foot in the door" - can get relatively easier. I can't commit whether everyone who wants to "go international" does that, but I know many people switch geographies and have a very international career. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
puneetjain18 wrote:
Hi Abhishek,

I recently wrote the GMAT and scored a 680(Q48, V35). My background is as below

34/M/Indian

10 years work ex. Past 6 yrs with Accenture Management Consulting. One of the top performers. Main focus area is oil and gas.

Mechanical Engineer and have an MBA from tier 2 college in India.

Can you please suggest as to what are my chances for INSEAD? How important is the age factor and should i retake the GMAT?

Hi Puneet,

I can't comment on your "chances" for INSEAD but I'll make a few general observations. You do have the necessary ingredients - demonstrated leadership, international exposure; and social sector work always helps. If you have time, retaking the GMAT may be a god option, but with applicants with high work exp, the emphasis on GMAT score tends to be lower. I'll say that there are people at INSEAD in that age bracket, but they are few. You will need to demonstrate why you really need an MBA when you are already in a senior position. An implicit question would be why not an Executive MBA. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey Abhishek

I want to apply for INSEAD january 2016 intake, Is it worth to apply in R4 as I have heard people saying that most of the candidates are offered admits upto R2? because I have not given my Gmat and will be giving it in around mid june.
Can you assess my profile too? TIA :)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
pria131 wrote:
Hey Abhishek

I want to apply for INSEAD january 2016 intake, Is it worth to apply in R4 as I have heard people saying that most of the candidates are offered admits upto R2? because I have not given my Gmat and will be giving it in around mid june.

I have the same question here...
Initially I planned to apply by R3, but my GMAT journey is taking some extra time.. Hopefully I would finish my GMAT journey by early june..
Though R3 deadline is June 17, I feel I wont have enough time excellent essays..
I am pretty confident of my profile though..

I am worried about the risks in R4..
I know that I will lose scholarship opportunities(which are only for R1, R2, R3)..
But apart from Scholarship, what else is negative about applying in R4?

Could you please provide some feedback on this?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Said'16 (I)
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Retail)
Send PM
Hi Abhishek,

I am an Indian, 28yrs. I am planning to apply in R3 for Jan'16 intake. I have an experience of almost 5.5 years( Around 7 months in Muscat where I am currently working). Have decent academics(3.9 GPA, B.Tech). I have worked in Service sector (The Taj Group of Hotels)for almost 4.5 years and have quite a few achievements as well. Then I moved to consulting(SAP) for my own personal interests( Justifiable reasons). However, My GMAT score is not very impressive(670). I just wanted to check if I will make a decent application with these credentials.

Regards

Yash Patni
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pria131 wrote:
Hey Abhishek

Hi,

I'll give the cliched advice here that "it's best to apply when you are most ready". Given a choice, I surely recommend applying in the earlier rounds if possible. This is specially true for international candidates since the visa processing etc can take some time. You could also consider the Sept intake if that suits your timing better.

Hope this helps.
Abhishek
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MorningRunner wrote:
pria131 wrote:
Hey Abhishek

I have the same question here...
Initially I planned to apply by R3, but my GMAT journey is taking some extra time.. Hopefully I would finish my GMAT journey by early june..
Though R3 deadline is June 17, I feel I wont have enough time excellent essays..
I am pretty confident of my profile though..

I am worried about the risks in R4..
Could you please provide some feedback on this?

Please refer to my earlier response to pria131. I hope that answers your question.
Intern
Intern
Send PM