It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 07:07
Mr. Sahay! I hear rumors that you got admitted to INSEAD on the strength of your memorization of every dialogue from the Indian movie, 'Andaz Apna Apna'. I think it is a brilliant strategy and I plan on memorizing dialogues from 'Liar Liar', 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Hera Pheri' to boost my chances. Before I do, could you please share details of your brilliant ideology?

abhisheksahay wrote:
INSEAD aspirants,

I want to share my application journey and hopefully, this would be useful to other applicants.
Background: Indian male, 26 years, Delhi University, work exp of ~5 yrs at top 3 management consulting firm, a few months of social sector experience in Africa
Results: Admitted to Wharton (with $40K), Kellogg & INSEAD. Withdrew application after interview from London Business School and Chicago Booth. Decline from HBS/Stanford
Decision: Joining INSEAD in Jan 2015 (yes, it was difficult to decline Wharton but I believe INSEAD is a better fit for me)

Application strategy:
1. Highlighting differentiating factors among the competitive Indian male category: international work experience, social sector experience, non-IT background
2. Spent a solid time researching unique aspects of each school and relevance to my career goals
3. Focused on keeping my profile "interesting": e.g not just focusing on work exp, career goals but also some hobbies, travel experience etc.
4. Provided very specific examples to highlight my skills, not high-level/generic comments
5. My academics and undergrad were not super impressive (and not from IIT), so I made it up with decent GMAT score (760)

Happy to answer any questions you may have. This thread is awfully quiet for a forum of more than 100 candidates.

Hit me with your questions.

Abhishek.

For free help with your CFA exams, visit http://www.pashyas.com

Manager
Manager

Re: INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 07:28
Hi Isti! I'm sure Abhishek will answer your question soon, but while he's at it, let me throw my two cents in here as well.

Your profile has similarities to mine. I spent some of my childhood in Muscat, Oman, pursued my bachelors in the states and worked in Kuwait for three and a half years just before INSEAD. You seem to have your story in place. The key to your application will be how well you articulate your goals and tie them with how INSEAD can help you achieve them. The rapid professional growth and international exposure through your undergraduate experience helps. The language skills look good too. Good luck with the GMAT. While there were candidates with scores in the low 600's in our promotion, they seemed to be more of an exception.

You definitely have a lot going for you. Give the GMAT your best shot and kill the essays! You should be in good shape.

PS: The INSEAD interviewers in Kuwait are incredibly nice people! You'll find them rooting for you throughout your journey! Hope you make it there!

isti wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if getting in to INSEAD will be a long shot for me. Can you please let me know what you think?

Profile-
Nationality: Indian

I grew up in Kuwait- completed my primary, middle and high school in Kuwait. After high school, I moved to USA to pursue my undergraduate degree.

Degree earned-
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering GPA 3.9/4.0

After completing my undergraduate education, I came back to Kuwait and have been working here since then

Work Experience
3+ years in a pre-sales role with an electrical subcontracting company. Essentially worked on preparing technical proposals and commercial offers for electrical products and involved in systems designs for projects in Kuwait based on project specification.
Awarded two promotions in 3 years, each year with increased responsibilities
Worked on various industrial, residential and commercial projects and supplied products of value ranging from $300,000 to $ 6 million.
Involved in price negotiation, promoting products to subcontractors and main contractors, product approval and resolving technical queries
I have not traveled outside Kuwait for business purposes.

I am hoping that with an MBA degree I can move in to a operations, product development, brand management kind of a role.

Languages: Hindi (Native), English (Full professional proficiency) Arabic (working proficiency)

GMAT: 530 (I was getting 680-690 on my practice tests. I guess during the tests, my nerves got the better of me and I didn't pace myself well. Anyway I'm retaking it and hoping that this time around I could be in the 70-75th percentile range)

Manager
Manager

Re: INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 07:31
If I were you, I'd email the Adcom directly with the question. You should find contact details on the INSEAD website. They're super friendly and usually quick to respond.

HimanshuPundhir wrote:
Hi Abhishek,

I want to ask you something about the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. I am going to apply for Jan 2017 intake before 2-march deadline. But I will be able to take the exam on 28th Feb, and it will take around 20 days for score to reach the college. How important is it for score to reach INSEAD before the deadline. And will they be open to consider my IELTS score from 3 years back in the meantime.

Regards,
Himanshu

Re: INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?)   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2016, 07:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

INSEAD admit from last year: Ask me anything (& Why so quiet?)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap