Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Hi..
I have a situation and would be really glad if someone could help.

My GMAT score is 720 (Q48 V41), which from what i read on the forum randomly, is just about fine for ISB. (If i have assumed it incorrect, please let me know)

What iam concerned about is my profile. I have been in Merchant Navy (Deck,ie, Non Engineer) and sailed from 2004 to 2010, out of which 2004 to 2007 was apprenticeship. 2009 to 2010 i have sailed as a deck officer. My degree, B.Sc., Nautical Technology (Distance Learning from Mumbai University) is structured in a way that i could have only obtained it 2010. Would my work ex as an officer in Merchant Navy not count as it was prior to my graduation?

Also, since 2010, I have been running a digital marketing (partnership) firm as an entrepreneur. Iam confused about calculating my work experience.

Also, are distance learning degrees valid for applying to ISB and other colleges?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
Hi,

I am planning to apply to ISB in round 1.

I have already started with essays, although, I do need some help who can guide me and provide me feedback or a brainstorming session, may be.
I am looking for a professional help however I am confuse which one should I opt for :? . Seniors, if you have any idea your help would be much appreciated or even you can help me out given that you already had gone through the entire application process. :-D

Also one thing - Will a full time but unpaid job be considered as work experience.

Any reply would be grateful.

Thankyou :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
chesterstreet wrote:
Hi..

My GMAT score is 720 (Q48 V41), which from what i read on the forum randomly, is just about fine for ISB. (If i have assumed it incorrect, please let me know)

What iam concerned about is my profile. I have been in Merchant Navy (Deck,ie, Non Engineer) and sailed from 2004 to 2010, out of which 2004 to 2007 was apprenticeship. 2009 to 2010 i have sailed as a deck officer. My degree, B.Sc., Nautical Technology (Distance Learning from Mumbai University) is structured in a way that i could have only obtained it 2010. Would my work ex as an officer in Merchant Navy not count as it was prior to my graduation?

Also, since 2010, I have been running a digital marketing (partnership) firm as an entrepreneur. Iam confused about calculating my work experience.

Also, are distance learning degrees valid for applying to ISB and other colleges?

Thanks

Hi Chesterstreet,
I have pulled out some FAQs from the ISB website, which should answer your questions.

"I have completed a three year diploma course but do not have an under-graduate degree. Am I eligible for the ISB Programme?

The eligibility criterion at the ISB requires all students to have an undergraduate degree. If your diploma is considered to be equivalent to a degree by the appropriate authorities then it will be acceptable otherwise not."

"The eligibility criteria are:
Students must possess an undergraduate/graduate or post-graduate degree in any discipline
A minimum of two years' full-time post qualification work experience is preferred. Exceptional candidates with lesser experience will be considered for deferred admission."

Going by these:
1. If your distance learning BA is from a deemed university (which it is), you should be eligible.
2. If your work experience is more than two years (in your case 4 years plus after completing undergrad), then you should be eligible.
As your questions are technical in nature, I would urge you to reach out to the admissions team and get a confirmation.

Apprentice does not count as full time work experience at ISB. So the period between 2004-7 may not be counted as full time work experience. But even then you must show your entire experience (2004 onwards) in the application, and can also use the optional essay to explain this.

And you are good with the GMAT. Don't get talked by anybody into a retake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
MBADecoder wrote:
chesterstreet wrote:
Hi..

Thanks

Hi Chesterstreet,
I have pulled out some FAQs from the ISB website, which should answer your questions.

"I have completed a three year diploma course but do not have an under-graduate degree. Am I eligible for the ISB Programme?

The eligibility criterion at the ISB requires all students to have an undergraduate degree. If your diploma is considered to be equivalent to a degree by the appropriate authorities then it will be acceptable otherwise not."

"The eligibility criteria are:
Students must possess an undergraduate/graduate or post-graduate degree in any discipline
A minimum of two years' full-time post qualification work experience is preferred. Exceptional candidates with lesser experience will be considered for deferred admission."

Going by these:
1. If your distance learning BA is from a deemed university (which it is), you should be eligible.
2. If your work experience is more than two years (in your case 4 years plus after completing undergrad), then you should be eligible.
As your questions are technical in nature, I would urge you to reach out to the admissions team and get a confirmation.

Apprentice does not count as full time work experience at ISB. So the period between 2004-7 may not be counted as full time work experience. But even then you must show your entire experience (2004 onwards) in the application, and can also use the optional essay to explain this.

And you are good with the GMAT. Don't get talked by anybody into a retake.

Many thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure whether to mention my work ex at merchant navy. I have more clarity now.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
msknext wrote:

1. I worked in IT for 2.5 years. Then quit and started my own business, ran the show for 9 months and again now working in IT. I used to sell some imported goods online but I have no license or any kind of certificate which shows I did that. My father is a business man (construction and bakery), can I use this to any sort of advantage?

2. I haven't given my gmat yet, planning to give it end of July or first week of August. Is this any good or should I just forget and try next time?

3. Can someone prepare their application and profile in like 15-30 days so that I can apply for round 1 (Deadline is October 15)? Or should I try for second round?

4. Is there any difference or advantages by applying in round 1 rather than round 2.

Regarding the GMAT score, I very well know I need 700+ and I will work hard and try to get that. If not, then god help me.

1. Typically b-schools do not ask for certificates etc. But just to make sure, if you asked for proof, I am certain your bank transactions should work as proof. I didn't understand how you intend using your father's business to your advantage- unless if you are working there (full time or part time).

2. You can take your GMAT this year even if you plan to apply next year. GMAT scores are valid for 5 years. I think you need to understand whether your profile is competitive for this year. If you are able to show achievements and learning in both your IT and entrepreneurial experience, then it should be okay to apply.

3. You can prepare your application in 15-30 days...but hearing this almost 5 months before the application sounds odd- why would you be in this situation? you can start your preparation from now itself.

4. You will not be disadvantaged if you apply in Round2.

Yes, do try to score 700+

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 14 May 2015, 11:33.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 15 May 2015, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
msknext wrote:
Hello all,

Regarding the GMAT score, I very well know I need 700+ and I will work hard and try to get that. If not, then god help me.

I guess Namita cleared most of the doubts.

One thing I want to say, 700+ doesn't guarantee anything, it gives you a fighting chance. That's it, post that your profile and your interview matters.

And always Round 1 - always and then Round 2 is the last ditch effort.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi All,

Can u plz provide the difference while applying in R1 ,R2 and R3 round in terms of probability percentage to get admission in ISB.

Also if I would apply in R2 or R3 round and would not able to make it, then would it be possible applying for next year i.e. Class of 2018 Round 1 ??
I am planning to give GMAT but my Verbal score is not improving especially in Sentence correction. Any help is highly appreciated..

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
reshu1010 wrote:
Hi All,

Can u plz provide the difference while applying in R1 ,R2 and R3 round in terms of probability percentage to get admission in ISB.

Also if I would apply in R2 or R3 round and would not able to make it, then would it be possible applying for next year i.e. Class of 2018 Round 1 ??
I am planning to give GMAT but my Verbal score is not improving especially in Sentence correction. Any help is highly appreciated..

Thanks.

ISB doesn't have R3. Almost all the US schools have R3 apart from MIT Sloan as far as I know.

The data I guess Namita can highlight but R1 has the least seats of the both the rounds as less number of applicants apply compared to R2. So R2 has the highest number of seats as highest number of applicants apply. R1 gives you an advantage as still the applicants are not that competitive (general assumption).

Also there are scholarships on offer for R1
"As a new initiative to support top talent, the ISB has decided to introduce 10 merit-based full tuition fee waivers to those applying in Round-1 of the selection process"
: https://www.isb.edu/pgp/fees-financing/Scholarships

Yes, you can apply again but you need to have another mandatory essay called reapplicant essay. Reapplicant essay is not required if you are applying for the 1st time.

Hope this clears.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kinjiGC wrote:
reshu1010 wrote:
Hi All,

The data I guess Namita can highlight but R1 has the least seats of the both the rounds as less number of applicants apply compared to R2. So R2 has the highest number of seats as highest number of applicants apply. R1 gives you an advantage as still the applicants are not that competitive (general assumption).

Hope this clears.

Its difficult to give numbers because ISB takes in applicants from a number of sources- the regular PGP, the YLP and the EEO. Although I agree with you Kinjal, that there are more seats in R2 as compared to R1.

Having said this, I will emphasize that you should apply when you are ready with your application. An unimpressive application will get rejected whether its R1 or R2 - afterall, applicants do get rejected in both rounds for a number of reasons.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos