Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 14:25 It is currently 18 May 2024, 14:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6353 [72]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3629 [6]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6353 [2]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3629 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Simple way to always control time during the quant part. [#permalink]
Kudos
Harley1980 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
In my experience, it is not at all useful to keep a track of time for sets of less than 10 questions. I always used to look up the time once I finished 10,20,30 etc questions. This way you are not overly fixated on the time.

Hello Engr2012.

I am control freak, so for me my way works better ;)
But I agree that for a lot of people is better not pay too much attention on time.

So for one the best approach will be to try both methods and decide for oneself what is better personally for him or her.

Its funny that you say this. Even for me, I deviated from what the experts say about time managament and even error logs. I personally did not create an elaborate error log but did scribble a few things as and when I used to do CR questions. So, yes I agree that you need to follow what you are most comfortable with and something that you know that you can replicate in the exam.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13487 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Harley1980 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
In my experience, it is not at all useful to keep a track of time for sets of less than 10 questions. I always used to look up the time once I finished 10,20,30 etc questions. This way you are not overly fixated on the time.

Hello Engr2012.

I am control freak, so for me my way works better ;)
But I agree that for a lot of people is better not pay too much attention on time.

So for one the best approach will be to try both methods and decide for oneself what is better personally for him or her.

If it's about opinion then I would suggest that one should always keep track of time during practice tests so that it doesn't make you conscious during the actual test scenario.

Not keeping the track of time just because it makes you conscious doesn't seem logical when the fact is you have to deal with the section within 75 mins so whether you like it or not, whether you finish test in 75 mins or not the section is going to end in 75 mins.

"To keep the track of time and still be relaxed" can be worked up on in various ways

My way is that I prefer to keep in my mind that I have Quant section of 30 Questions to finish in 60 mins. The benefit of taking test with this target is that you get sufficient time (15 mins) to attempt last 7 questions of the test which as per the feedback of majority tests takers are usually of medium difficulty level and also more important because any question left un-attempted will fetch higher penalty thank getting them wrong.

Finally it's all about practice and finding your comfort level along with being able to finish test in time. So I don't want to say that not keeping rack of time is bad idea for the people for whom it works but keep track of time is certainly better if you can make yourself comfortable with it.

In real world scenario we always get time deadlines to finish the work in daily, weekly, monthly yearly form. Deadlines which can't be ignored or overlooked at work... then why overlook time deadline here?

I hope it helps the reader to make their decision.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6353 [1]
Send PM