It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2429 [9], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Simple way to always control time during the quant part. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

I had a lot of problems with timing and always wanted to check how much time I have. And usually I received advice to check time only per 10 questions by making simple calculations and compare result with timer. But for me it was too extreme, because during exam I am usually nervous and don’t have sense of time and I can spend much more time than allowed during 10 questions. I did a lot a lot of mock tests but sense of time transform to another form: I begin make quant part too fast and I start make a lot of careless mistakes because of this.

Finally I found solution that advices to write quantity of remaining minutes in the corner of each page. For me I decided to write remaining minutes after each question.
Before quant part we have one minute of instructions, during this minute I write numbers in each corner of each page: 73, 71, 69 and so on.

Attachment:
2015-08-10 23-46-57 Скриншот экрана.png
2015-08-10 23-46-57 Скриншот экрана.png [ 44.82 KiB | Viewed 5874 times ]

And then I just solve tasks in each corner from left to right (4 tasks per list).

So after EACH task I know how much remaining time should I have and I completely have no needs to make some calculations and spend precious seconds: all I need it is just look on timer and at the corner of page. So with this technic you are in full control of your time and you can apply all timing strategies with full understanding do you really need to skip one question or you just have a wrong feeling that you are out of time. Also you can control that you are not to fast and not make careless error. I prefer to be 3-5 minutes ahead of time just in case if I met some difficult task.

P.S. sadly but this technic is not applicable to verbal part because of different time needed for RC, CR and SC questions.

Update:
Nice trick with RC from Engr2012 who hear this trick from bb
"For verbal, I used to write down the time at which I would start an RC passage and see to it that I finish reading the passage+ answer all the related questions within 6-8 minutes (depending on the length of the passages)."

How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2429 [9], given: 178

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1791 [1], given: 797

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Simple way to always control time during the quant part. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 18:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Harley1980 wrote:

I had a lot of problems with timing and always wanted to check how much time I have. And usually I received advice to check time only per 10 questions by making simple calculations and compare result with timer. But for me it was too extreme, because during exam I am usually nervous and don’t have sense of time and I can spend much more time than allowed during 10 questions. I did a lot a lot of mock tests but sense of time transform to another form: I begin make quant part too fast and I start make a lot of careless mistakes because of this.

Finally I found solution that advices to write quantity of remaining minutes in the corner of each page. For me I decided to write remaining minutes after each question.
Before quant part we have one minute of instructions, during this minute I write numbers in each corner of each page: 73, 71, 69 and so on.

Attachment:
2015-08-10 23-46-57 Скриншот экрана.png

And then I just solve tasks in each corner from left to right (4 tasks per list).

So after EACH task I know how much remaining time should I have and I completely have no needs to make some calculations and spend precious seconds: all I need it is just look on timer and at the corner of page. So with this technic you are in full control of your time and you can apply all timing strategies with full understanding do you really need to skip one question or you just have a wrong feeling that you are out of time. Also you can control that you are not to fast and not make careless error. I prefer to be 3-5 minutes ahead of time just in case if I met some difficult task.

P.S. sadly but this technic is not applicable to verbal part because of different time needed for RC, CR and SC questions.

Interesting approach, Harley1980.

I would say read through an article written by Stacey Koprince from Manhattan GMAT on time management http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... nt-part-1/

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... nt-part-2/

In my experience, it is not at all useful to keep a track of time for sets of less than 10 questions. I always used to look up the time once I finished 10,20,30 etc questions. This way you are not overly fixated on the time. For verbal, I used to write down the time at which I would start an RC passage and see to it that I finish reading the passage+ answer all the related questions within 6-8 minutes (depending on the length of the passages).

Hope this helps.

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2429 [0], given: 178

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 23:59
Engr2012 wrote:
In my experience, it is not at all useful to keep a track of time for sets of less than 10 questions. I always used to look up the time once I finished 10,20,30 etc questions. This way you are not overly fixated on the time.

Hello Engr2012.

I am control freak, so for me my way works better ;)
But I agree that for a lot of people is better not pay too much attention on time.

So for one the best approach will be to try both methods and decide for oneself what is better personally for him or her.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
Harley1980 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
In my experience, it is not at all useful to keep a track of time for sets of less than 10 questions. I always used to look up the time once I finished 10,20,30 etc questions. This way you are not overly fixated on the time.

Hello Engr2012.

But I agree that for a lot of people is better not pay too much attention on time.

So for one the best approach will be to try both methods and decide for oneself what is better personally for him or her.

Its funny that you say this. Even for me, I deviated from what the experts say about time managament and even error logs. I personally did not create an elaborate error log but did scribble a few things as and when I used to do CR questions. So, yes I agree that you need to follow what you are most comfortable with and something that you know that you can replicate in the exam.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2412 [0], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 03:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Harley1980 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:

Hello Engr2012.

If it's about opinion then I would suggest that one should always keep track of time during practice tests so that it doesn't make you conscious during the actual test scenario.

Not keeping the track of time just because it makes you conscious doesn't seem logical when the fact is you have to deal with the section within 75 mins so whether you like it or not, whether you finish test in 75 mins or not the section is going to end in 75 mins.

"To keep the track of time and still be relaxed" can be worked up on in various ways

My way is that I prefer to keep in my mind that I have Quant section of 30 Questions to finish in 60 mins. The benefit of taking test with this target is that you get sufficient time (15 mins) to attempt last 7 questions of the test which as per the feedback of majority tests takers are usually of medium difficulty level and also more important because any question left un-attempted will fetch higher penalty thank getting them wrong.

Finally it's all about practice and finding your comfort level along with being able to finish test in time. So I don't want to say that not keeping rack of time is bad idea for the people for whom it works but keep track of time is certainly better if you can make yourself comfortable with it.

In real world scenario we always get time deadlines to finish the work in daily, weekly, monthly yearly form. Deadlines which can't be ignored or overlooked at work... then why overlook time deadline here?

I hope it helps the reader to make their decision.

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Kudos [?]: 2412 [0], given: 51

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 04:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Engr2012 wrote:

I would say read through an article written by Stacey Koprince from Manhattan GMAT on time management http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... nt-part-1/

In my experience, it is not at all useful to keep a track of time for sets of less than 10 questions. I always used to look up the time once I finished 10,20,30 etc questions. This way you are not overly fixated on the time. For verbal, I used to write down the time at which I would start an RC passage and see to it that I finish reading the passage+ answer all the related questions within 6-8 minutes (depending on the length of the passages).

Hope this helps.

Kudos to you for this really cool trick with reading comprehension I definitely will try it ;)

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1791 [0], given: 797

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 06:44
Harley1980 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Kudos to you for this really cool trick with reading comprehension I definitely will try it ;)

I believe I read it in a post by bb .

Kudos [?]: 1791 [0], given: 797

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 13:40
Engr2012 wrote:

I believe I read it in a post by bb .

Ok, this changed a lot, I edited my post and will initiate procedure of redeeming my kudos to you ;)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 03:09
One question about this method:

So you use one side of paper to write for 4 questions only, so is it enough the space you have with the papers they give you?? How many papers do they give you at the exam, cause I don't know.

For Verbal part do they give you new papers?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Sloan (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 05:33
They provide with paper covered with a nasty plastic that supposed to be washable, but still leaving dirt on it....
So quant is 37 questions which would take 9.5 pages, do they provide enough paper, not sure...
But thanks for an idea, I will try to do during practice GMAT..

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Re: Simple way to always control time during the quant part.   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 05:33

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap