Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [37]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [7]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Set S consists of n consecutive positive integers, each less than 25. [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
santorasantu wrote:
Set S consists of n consecutive positive integers, each less than 25. If n > 3, what is the value of n?

(1) The number of factors of 2 contained in set S is equal to the number of factors of 3 contained in set S.

(2) n is odd

any easy way to solve this?

Dear santorasantu,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to chide you on your question, "any easy way to solve this?" With all due respect, that is a very poor question. A good question would tell me: what do you consider easy? What do you understand about this problem? What do you not understand? You see, if you want to achieve excellent results, you must make a habit of excellence in your studies, and part of that is asking excellent questions. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/asking-exc ... questions/

This is a brilliant question because there's no formula one can use. One has to have number sense and play around with the numbers. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/number-sense-for-the-gmat/

I looked at this and thought: OK, if n > 3, that eliminates the cheap cases. When could the number of multiples of 2 and numbers of multiples of 3 be equal?

Because the multiples of three are more spaced out, it is going to be harder for them to "keep up" with the more densely packed multiples of 2. That's why I started all my example sets at 3, so that the multiples of 3 would get a "head start."

Example #1 = {3, 4, 5, 6} = 2 of each kind of multiple (n = 4)

Example #2 = {3, 4, 5, 6, 7} = 2 of each kind of multiple (n = 5)

Example #3 = {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9} = 3 of each kind of multiple (n = 7)

All of these are consistent with Statement #1, which is insufficient.
Statement #2 by itself is useless and insufficient.

Together, we can eliminate Example #1, but the other two examples both work, so n could be 5 or 7.

We can't give a definitive answer to the prompt, so everything is insufficient. OA = (E)

You see, my friend, if you are comfortable with number sense and picking numbers, this is a very easy solution, but expect to do everything with a formula, then you will be sadly disappointed by this and so many other GMAT math questions.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks for the reply. Indeed I followed the similar approach to count the number of factors and ended up with E, but it took me almost 5 mins to arrive at the answer.

I agree with you that it is a very poor question.
The source of the question is Manhattan and do you think that it could be a GMAT question?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Re: Set S consists of n consecutive positive integers, each less than 25. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
santorasantu wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Indeed I followed the similar approach to count the number of factors and ended up with E, but it took me almost 5 mins to arrive at the answer.

I agree with you that it is a very poor question.
The source of the question is Manhattan and do you think that it could be a GMAT question?

Dear santorasantu,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I think this MGMAT question is a brilliant question, and it is very GMAT-like. It is unconventional and out-of-the-box, designed to frustrate formulaic thinkers, and yet it can be solved with tremendous elegance very quickly. That is precisely the "sweet spot" of GMAT questions, and MGMAT has written an excellent one here.

I mean no offense, my friend, but what I called a "poor question" was your question, "any easy way to solve this?" You are obviously an intelligent and talented individual, and I would say that this question of yours falls far well short of your highest capabilities. You see, if you want to achieve excellence on the exam, you have to strive to make excellence a habit in everything you do, even in the way you ask questions. Every problem you solve, every question you ask, is another opportunity to bring the absolute best of yourself forward, and you have to practice this continually so that you "own" it by the time you sit for the test. Don't focus on the "easy way" in anything. Focus on deep understanding. Focus on pushing yourself to your edge. I am chiding you precisely because I believe in you and want to see you reach your highest potential.

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.
Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Set S consists of n consecutive positive integers, each less than 25. If n > 3, what is the value of n?

(1) The number of factors of 2 contained in set S is equal to the number of factors of 3 contained in set S.

(2) n is odd

We need to know the first term and the overall number of terms in the original condition. Therefore we have 2 variables and we need 2 equations to match the number of variables and equations. Since there is 1 each in 1) and 2), there is high probability that C is the answer. (Using both 1) and 2) together from the start saves us time)

Using both 1) & 2) together, {3, 4, 5, 6, 7} --> n = 5, {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9} --> n=7 therefore the answer is not unique. Thus the answer is E.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variable, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using ) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MathRevolution wrote:
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.
Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

(2) n is odd

We need to know the first term and the overall number of terms in the original condition. Therefore we have 2 variables and we need 2 equations to match the number of variables and equations. Since there is 1 each in 1) and 2), there is high probability that C is the answer. (Using both 1) and 2) together from the start saves us time)

Using both 1) & 2) together, {3, 4, 5, 6, 7} --> n = 5, {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9} --> n=7 therefore the answer is not unique. Thus the answer is E.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variable, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using ) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

I thing that statement 1 has been misinterpreted.

Statement 1 mentions factors of 2 and factors of 3, not multiples.

The only factors of 2 are 1 and 2, and the only factors of 3 are 1 and 3. The only think that we can infer is that the first term of the sequence is not 3.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
cledgard wrote:
Sorry to disagree; statement 1 mentions factors of 2 and factors of 3, not multiples.

The only factors of 2 are 1 and 2, and the only factors of 3 are 1 and 3. The only think that we can infer is that the first term of the sequence is not 3.

Dear cledgard,

My friend, I agree with you that I wasn't precise in following the specifications of the question, but I think you are misunderstanding something as well. It is not asking for the factors of 2 and 3, each of which of course has only two numbers, because each is prime.

They are asking about how many times can we locate among all the factors a factor of 2. For example, 6 has one factor of two, 12 has two factors of two, and 8 has three factors of two. In asking for the "number of factors of 2 contained in set S," the question is asking for the total number of factors of 2 in all the numbers in the set.

Suppose
Set S = {2, 3, 4, 5, 6}
2 has one factor of 2
3 has one factor of 3
4 has two factors of 2
5 doesn't have a factor of either
6 has one factor of 2 and one factor of 3
Thus, this particular set S has a total of four factors of 2 and two factors of 3.
That is what the question means by asking for the "number of factors of 2" or 3 contained in the set. I admit, I was too casual in interpreting it simply as factors above, rather than counting the factors in each set.

Sets that would meet the requirements of both statements:
Set S1 = {17, 18, 19, 20, 21}
five members, an odd number
number of factors of 2 = three factors
number of factors of 3 = three factors
n = 5

Set S2 = {9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15}
seven members, an odd number
number of factors of 2 = four factors
number of factors of 3 = four factors
n = 7

Two different possibilities consistent with both statements give two different answer to the prompt question. Answer = (E)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
cledgard wrote:
Sorry to disagree; statement 1 mentions factors of 2 and factors of 3, not multiples.

Dear cledgard,

My friend, I agree with you that I wasn't precise in following the specifications of the question, but I think you are misunderstanding something as well. It is not asking for the factors of 2 and 3, each of which of course has only two numbers, because each is prime.

They are asking about how many times can we locate among all the factors a factor of 2. For example, 6 has one factor of two, 12 has two factors of two, and 8 has three factors of two. In asking for the "number of factors of 2 contained in set S," the question is asking for the total number of factors of 2 in all the numbers in the set.

Suppose
Set S = {2, 3, 4, 5, 6}
2 has one factor of 2
3 has one factor of 3
4 has two factors of 2
5 doesn't have a factor of either
6 has one factor of 2 and one factor of 3
Thus, this particular set S has a total of four factors of 2 and two factors of 3.
That is what the question means by asking for the "number of factors of 2" or 3 contained in the set. I admit, I was too casual in interpreting it simply as factors above, rather than counting the factors in each set.

Sets that would meet the requirements of both statements:
Set S1 = {17, 18, 19, 20, 21}
five members, an odd number
number of factors of 2 = three factors
number of factors of 3 = three factors
n = 5

Set S2 = {9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15}
seven members, an odd number
number of factors of 2 = four factors
number of factors of 3 = four factors
n = 7

Two different possibilities consistent with both statements give two different answer to the prompt question. Answer = (E)

Dear Mike:
Of course what you say makes sense; however, I don't believe I misunderstood the problem. As a matter of fact, I understood the problem exactly as you did. Nevertheless, when I stopped to think about it, I believed that I should follow literally what statement 1 said, not my interpretation.
I believe that that statement 1 should be worded differently in order to avoid confusion. How to word it is another question.

Clipper Ledgard
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos
Here is how i solved this one =>
n consecutive integers

We need n for n>3

Statement 1-->
Factors of 2=> 1,2
Factors of 3 => 1,3

Using test cases => {1,2,3,4,5}
or {1,2,3,4,5,6}
Not sufficient

Statement 2=>
n is odd
No clue of n => not sufficient

Combing the two statements =>
n=5 => {1,2,3,4,5}
n=7=> {1,2,3,4,5,6,7}

Hence Not sufficient

Hence E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20715 [4]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos