Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
dolongdao wrote:
I am a bit confused and was hoping someone could help me understand.

From the Wharton application in the "Essays" tab:

"First-time applicant and re-applicants (those who applied to begin the program in the fall of 2015 or 2014) are required to complete one essay. The 2nd essay below is optional.

The Admissions Committee wants to get to know you on both a professional and personal level. We encourage you to be introspective, candid and succinct. Most importantly, we suggest you be yourself.

(Required) What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
(Optional) Please highlight any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about your candidacy. (400 words)

Optional Essay

First-time applicants can use this essay if you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words)

All re-applicants (those who applied for Fall 2015 or 2014) are also required to complete the Optional Essay. Please use this space to explain how you have reflected on the previous decision on your application and to discuss any updates on your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extra curricular/volunteer engagements). You may also use this section to address any extenuating circumstances. (250 words)"

Is the 400 word optional essay (the one regarding additional information for the adcom) different from the 250 word optional essay (the one regarding extenuating circumstances)?

I actually called Wharton to make sure it wasn't a typo or something they forgot to change from last year. The woman I spoke to said the 400 word optional essay is an optional part of the "first" essay and should not include anything in regard to extenuating circumstances. The 250 word optional is where you should include that information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
wcf5016 wrote:
dolongdao wrote:

"First-time applicant and re-applicants (those who applied to begin the program in the fall of 2015 or 2014) are required to complete one essay. The 2nd essay below is optional.

The Admissions Committee wants to get to know you on both a professional and personal level. We encourage you to be introspective, candid and succinct. Most importantly, we suggest you be yourself.

(Required) What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
(Optional) Please highlight any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about your candidacy. (400 words)

Optional Essay

First-time applicants can use this essay if you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words)

All re-applicants (those who applied for Fall 2015 or 2014) are also required to complete the Optional Essay. Please use this space to explain how you have reflected on the previous decision on your application and to discuss any updates on your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extra curricular/volunteer engagements). You may also use this section to address any extenuating circumstances. (250 words)"

Is the 400 word optional essay (the one regarding additional information for the adcom) different from the 250 word optional essay (the one regarding extenuating circumstances)?

I actually called Wharton to make sure it wasn't a typo or something they forgot to change from last year. The woman I spoke to said the 400 word optional essay is an optional part of the "first" essay and should not include anything in regard to extenuating circumstances. The 250 word optional is where you should include that information.

Cool, thanks for sharing! So there are like three essays - 500-word required essay, 400-word optional essay, and the 250-word optional essay
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes. I covered the differences in the essays earlier in this thread, but there are three separate ones and I advise most people to make use of the second (options/400-worrd) essay in order to continue to give the adcom information and insight into their candidacy they wouldn't otherwise have through the other materials.

dolongdao wrote:
wcf5016 wrote:
dolongdao wrote:

Optional Essay

Cool, thanks for sharing! So there are like three essays - 500-word required essay, 400-word optional essay, and the 250-word optional essay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi Tia and everyone.

I found this previous post to be the most helpful in my quest to beat the gmat.

As I cannot post urls, search for "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. My method to >700." by luishector

Hope it helps you. Remember that luck favors the prepared!

Kevin
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Why I Became a Student Life Fellow
It was hard to believe it was just a year ago I was putting on the same yellow tutu getting ready for the Cluster Olympics during preterm. Returning as a second year Student Life Fellow to help the new class get acclimated to business school life was one of my…Read More

The post Why I Became a Student Life Fellow appeared first on MBA Program.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Any re-applicants on here? I did the TBD last year after applying R2, but sadly wasn't offered a spot in the Class of 2017. I pulled together what I think is a much more solid application for R1 this year. Happy to offer advice when TBDs come around--fingers crossed I make it that far!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Kudos
LPiwi wrote:
Any re-applicants on here? I did the TBD last year after applying R2, but sadly wasn't offered a spot in the Class of 2017. I pulled together what I think is a much more solid application for R1 this year. Happy to offer advice when TBDs come around--fingers crossed I make it that far!

LPiwi , same here! I'm also a reapplicant (applied for C/O 2016) and made it through TBD's but wasn't accepted for the class. Good luck to you, my friend. Heard that Wharton's really reapplicant friendly... I hope we both get in this time around! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
munkee2018 wrote:
LPiwi wrote:

LPiwi , same here! I'm also a reapplicant (applied for C/O 2016) and made it through TBD's but wasn't accepted for the class. Good luck to you, my friend. Heard that Wharton's really reapplicant friendly... I hope we both get in this time around! :-D

Did either you munkee2018 or LPiwi get feedback from the adcom after the TBD?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
LPiwi wrote:

Did you prepare for the TBD on your own or did you happen to enrol yourself with one of the admission consulting companies? Any particular resources/tips for the TBD?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
lozi wrote:
munkee2018 wrote:
LPiwi wrote:

lozi LPiwi I did not get any feedback from the adcom. I contacted them after I was denied to ask for feedback but they told me that due to the large volume of requests, they weren't able to provide me any feedback. LPiwi - did you have a similar experience or did they give you feedback?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
munkee2018 wrote:
lozi wrote:

lozi LPiwi I did not get any feedback from the adcom. I contacted them after I was denied to ask for feedback but they told me that due to the large volume of requests, they weren't able to provide me any feedback. LPiwi - did you have a similar experience or did they give you feedback?

Same here. I believe they give feedback to dinged applicants for the Healthcare Management track since its a smaller subset. I worked with a consultant this go-around (Stacy Blackman Consulting-they're fantastic!) and we did our own ding analysis. I luckily had a lot of opportunity to improve my essays and select recommenders that gave a more well-rounded picture of me as an applicant. I also attended an admissions event where I spoke with someone from the AdCom and her advice was to really focus on the reapplicant essay to demonstrate self-reflection and how you've grown. She also said its encouraged to broaden your rec selection since they can always look back to your first set of recs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Engr2012 wrote:
LPiwi wrote:

Did you prepare for the TBD on your own or did you happen to enrol yourself with one of the admission consulting companies? Any particular resources/tips for the TBD?

I self-prepared last year and practiced with some current students. The general advice is to try to stay calm and just pretend you're in a regular work meeting. Be mindful of time limits and avoid the extremes of either a) dominating the discussion, or b) not participating. Many current students I talked to said their entire TBD group (or close to it) got in, so don't think of the folks in your group as competition, approach the situation like you're working together to collectively get in. The time goes by really fast, so the biggest thing is moving the group forward and finishing on time. That means there's no time for disagreement, try to compromise quickly and propose alternative solutions if you disagree with someone's idea. Similarly, the 10-minute one-on-one interview that follows goes by extremely fast, so its better to keep it short and specific. Remember these are all conducted by 2nd year students, so they're just human beings--try to put yourself in their shoes and think about what you would look for. It's really a great opportunity to interact with current students and your potential peers for a glimpse of what the classroom experience might be like. So really, you want to authentically fit in.

My own two cents is that the TBD really isn't a make-or-break. I stayed in touch with some folks from my group and we had an email chain going when decisions went out. One that got accepted made a couple blatant no-nos during the discussion and the other was a model interviewee. I'm pretty self-critical and don't think I did anything wrong, I think I got dinged because my application overall lacked specificity (in my essays and recs) and needed to more explicitly demonstrate fit.

Honestly, I think the whole TBD experience was what moved Wharton from my #4 choice to my #1. It's truly a great opportunity to gage how well you're going to enjoy the next 2 years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Does anyone have an idea approximately when do we start hearing back from Wharton?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBA1618 wrote:
Does anyone have an idea when we start hearing back from Wharton?

Interview invites will be sent out on 3rd Nov. it is mentioned on the website.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
MBA1618 wrote:

Thanks :) Completely missed it in the rush for R1 application deadlines and work deadlines.
So there are no rolling decisions- they release all the invites on 3rd?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
MBA1618 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
MBA1618 wrote:

Thanks :) Completely missed it in the rush for R1 application deadlines and work deadlines.
So there are no rolling decisions- they release all the invites on 3rd?

They only mentkion 1 date of November 3rd. So I would assume that they will release all decisions on 1 day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
That would be so nice! To receive your invite/reject on a single day especially given the current scenario
Engr2012 wrote:

They only mentkion 1 date of November 3rd. So I would assume that they will release all decisions on 1 day.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts