Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Calling ALL Admitted CBS Folks - Class of 2018 [#permalink]
thor5517 wrote:
Hello all!

Fellow admit here with a quick question.

For everyone admitted has anyone received scholarship information or does anyone have any insight into when it will happen? I know that it is on a rolling basis but do they wait until they have received all the candidates from before 1/5 (merit deadline)?

Any commentary would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

I got a call on Tuesday about a merit fellowship. So it seems like they're giving out on a rolling basis even though the website says most of them will be allocated in February.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
-

Originally posted by HopefulFella on 10 Dec 2015, 13:10.
Last edited by HopefulFella on 23 Mar 2016, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deerhunter wrote:
thor5517 wrote:
Hello all!

For everyone admitted has anyone received scholarship information or does anyone have any insight into when it will happen? I know that it is on a rolling basis but do they wait until they have received all the candidates from before 1/5 (merit deadline)?

I got a call on Tuesday about a merit fellowship. So it seems like they're giving out on a rolling basis even though the website says most of them will be allocated in February.

Congratulations that's awesome. How long ago were you accepted - did the call come out of the blue like months or weeks after your acceptance?

Also - does anyone have any past knowledge about what % of people receive scholarship? I read somewhere that the avg scholarship is 10K but is that actually ~20% of applicants getting a big chunk of money and a bunch of people getting 0?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
thor5517 wrote:
deerhunter wrote:
thor5517 wrote:
Hello all!

Congratulations that's awesome. How long ago were you accepted - did the call come out of the blue like months or weeks after your acceptance?

Also - does anyone have any past knowledge about what % of people receive scholarship? I read somewhere that the avg scholarship is 10K but is that actually ~20% of applicants getting a big chunk of money and a bunch of people getting 0?

Thanks!!

I was accepted in September so this is definitely out of the blue. I applied early decision. My guess is that they release some fellowship dollars right before HBS release their acceptances to dissuade any flight risks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I received a (quite hefty) merit fellowship as well. This was very surprising to me because CBS is focusing its endowment on developing the new campus and because the admissions officers openly stated that financial aid would be offered in the spring.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Consulting (Retail)
Send PM
a778999 wrote:
I received a (quite hefty) merit fellowship as well. This was very surprising to me because CBS is focusing its endowment on developing the new campus and because the admissions officers openly stated that financial aid would be offered in the spring.

Would you be willing to share your profile?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
barcelonafan wrote:
a778999 wrote:

Early Decision: submitted September 14, complete October 7
Asian-American male, 26 (25 at time of application)
Mathematics and Aerospace Engineering
GPA: 3.95/4.00
GMAT: 770, 51Q, 44V, 8IR, 4.5AWA (taken in June 2015)

Work experience: Five years as a commissioned officer in the US Navy, to include one year of nuclear training and three years on a submarine
Operationally served as Officer of the Deck (in charge of overall driving the submarine) and Engineering Officer of the Watch (in charge of operating the engine room including the reactor) during at sea periods and Ship's Duty Officer (managing all work on the submarine) during in-port periods
Administratively served as Division Officer for one or more divisions of up to 25 sailors
Several command collateral duties, one of which earned me a hand-written letter of commendation from an admiral

Recommendations: Two former/current department heads on the submarine I am attached to, both of whom were at one time or are currently my immediate supervisor
The most stressful part of the application--one letter was submitted literally minutes before the deadline

Essays: Honestly, due to the work schedule, I was not able to devote as much time as I would have liked on the essays. I wrote all three of them over one weekend and proofread them myself immediately after I drafted them. I made the decision to leave the military approximately a year ago and decided that CBS was my dream school. I mentioned several programs and features unique to the school that attracted me to it and clearly stated my reasons for getting out and what I wanted to do afterwards. Although my writing wasn't going to win me a Pulitzer, I answered the essay questions (important) and I believe my passion reflected in the tone of my application.

Interview: Received invitation on November 4, did interview on November 12th, submitted feedback on November 15th, and received decision on November 20th.
Like the essays, I had no time to really formulate and memorize answers to possible questions. However, according to my interviewer, it went well. I gave specific examples/anecdotes to illustrate my examples of leadership to answer his questions and I demonstrated a lot of knowledge about the school.

I was extremely nervous about the application because I was competing with very qualified peers who spent many hours and dollars on admissions consultants. Also, due to going to a state school, I didn't have that pedigree many of you do. But everything worked out in the end. :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
a778999 wrote:
barcelonafan wrote:
a778999 wrote:

Early Decision: submitted September 14, complete October 7
Asian-American male, 26 (25 at time of application)
Mathematics and Aerospace Engineering
GPA: 3.95/4.00
GMAT: 770, 51Q, 44V, 8IR, 4.5AWA (taken in June 2015)

Work experience: Five years as a commissioned officer in the US Navy, to include one year of nuclear training and three years on a submarine
Operationally served as Officer of the Deck (in charge of overall driving the submarine) and Engineering Officer of the Watch (in charge of operating the engine room including the reactor) during at sea periods and Ship's Duty Officer (managing all work on the submarine) during in-port periods
Administratively served as Division Officer for one or more divisions of up to 25 sailors
Several command collateral duties, one of which earned me a hand-written letter of commendation from an admiral

Recommendations: Two former/current department heads on the submarine I am attached to, both of whom were at one time or are currently my immediate supervisor
The most stressful part of the application--one letter was submitted literally minutes before the deadline

Essays: Honestly, due to the work schedule, I was not able to devote as much time as I would have liked on the essays. I wrote all three of them over one weekend and proofread them myself immediately after I drafted them. I made the decision to leave the military approximately a year ago and decided that CBS was my dream school. I mentioned several programs and features unique to the school that attracted me to it and clearly stated my reasons for getting out and what I wanted to do afterwards. Although my writing wasn't going to win me a Pulitzer, I answered the essay questions (important) and I believe my passion reflected in the tone of my application.

Interview: Received invitation on November 4, did interview on November 12th, submitted feedback on November 15th, and received decision on November 20th.
Like the essays, I had no time to really formulate and memorize answers to possible questions. However, according to my interviewer, it went well. I gave specific examples/anecdotes to illustrate my examples of leadership to answer his questions and I demonstrated a lot of knowledge about the school.

I was extremely nervous about the application because I was competing with very qualified peers who spent many hours and dollars on admissions consultants. Also, due to going to a state school, I didn't have that pedigree many of you do. But everything worked out in the end. :-D

Did you receive your scholarship with your acceptance? or at a later date??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Latest entrant to the Club !!! :)
Applied - Oct 7
Interview Invite - Nov 5
Interview - Nov 21
Admit - Dec 10

PS: Is there a facebook group or something for admitted folks?

Originally posted by generalist on 11 Dec 2015, 19:03.
Last edited by generalist on 11 Dec 2015, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thor5517 wrote:
Did you receive your scholarship with your acceptance? or at a later date??

Admission: November 20
Scholarship: December 9
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Anyone know how long it should take to get into the Facebook group?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AnthonyMason wrote:

I have the same question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
generalist wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:

Once you have access to your Admitted Student webpage, there is a link there to join the FB page. After I sent the request I think it was relatively quick, but the request was through the website, not FB.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bcya100 wrote:
generalist wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:

Once you have access to your Admitted Student webpage, there is a link there to join the FB page. After I sent the request I think it was relatively quick, but the request was through the website, not FB.

I followed the same process as the one you are suggesting. But it's been 3 days, still waiting for the request to be approved!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bcya100 wrote:
generalist wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:

I followed the same process as the one you are suggesting. But it's been 3 days, still waiting for the request to be approved!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
generalist wrote:

I followed the same process as the one you are suggesting. But it's been 3 days, still waiting for the request to be approved![/quote]

Sorry to hear about that, should happen any time now. I just saw that the group admin approved a bunch of people an hour ago so I am sure she is working through the requests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If anyone is interested in helping with the organization of the CBS world tour happening next summer, sign up here: https://cbsworldtour2016.weebly.com/help-organize.html
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts