Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 21:03 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 21:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [190]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4726 [75]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33160 [35]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
if s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of n^st?

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)
s^st is a factor, so s^t will also be a factor.. YES

\(2) (st)^2\)
as s and t are >1, in n^st, st will be atleast 4, as minimum value of s and t is 2..
so n^st or min value n^4 = st^4, thus st^2 will always be a factor of n^st.. YES

\(3) s + t\)
we do not know what are the factors of s and t...
NOT necessary

E

Hi Chetan2U,

From the info given in the problem, I do not think we can write n = x * s * t, where x is integer.

For example, if n = 18, then possible value for s & t can be 9 & 6 respectively.

Then \(n^s^t\) cannot be written as \((xst)^s^t\). So i am still not clear how we can conclude '2' is an answer without putting individual values.

Please let me know if i am missing something. Thanks in advance!!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33160 [7]
Send PM
Re: If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
badboson wrote:
if s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of n^st?

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

Hi Chetan2U,

From the info given in the problem, I do not think we can write n = x * s * t, where x is integer.

For example, if n = 18, then possible value for s & t can be 9 & 6 respectively.

Then \(n^s^t\) cannot be written as \((xst)^s^t\). So i am still not clear how we can conclude '2' is an answer without putting individual values.

Please let me know if i am missing something. Thanks in advance!!

Hi,
yes you are correct on the highlighted portion..

we are looking for factor of \(n^{st}\), where s and t are factor of n..
2. \((st)^2\)...
we know s and t are factors of n, and they are >1..
lets assume the max value of s and t as n..
so the term = \(n^{st} = n^{n^2}\)..(i)
and \((st)^2 = (n*n)^2 = (n^2)^2 = n^4\)..(ii)
Now\(n^{n^2} >= n^{2^2} or n^4\).. because if s and t are integers >1 and are factor of n, then n is atleast 2..
so clearly \((st)^2\) is a factor of \(n^{st}\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [11]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
We can check this by

n = a*s where a>=1 (s is a factor of n)
n = b*t where b>=1 (t is a factor of n)

1) n^st = (a*s)^st = a^st * s^st = a^st*s^s*s^t
since a^st*s^s is a positive integer thus s^t is a factor

2) for st^2 to be a factor n^st/st^2 should be an integer always
n^st/st^2 = n^st / ((n/a)*(n/b))^2 = n^st/(n^2/ab)^2 = (n^(st-4))*(ab^2)
This is always an integer as st>=4

3) is clearly not a factor

Thus option E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [6]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Generally, this kind of "must be true" questions are ideal for number picking. Since it "must be true", any numbers you pick (provided you comply with the conditions mentioned in the question stem) should be valid.

However, we can try an algebraic approach as well (for those, like me, who don't like the number picking approach).

We are told that \(s\) and \(t\) are integers greater than \(1\) and that each one of them is a factor of the integer \(n\). We can take this information as \(n=s^{p}t^{q}\) (regardless of other factors \(n\) could have), where \(p\) and \(q\) are integers greater than \(0\) (since we need \(s\) and \(t\) to be factors of \(n\)). Therefore, \(n^{st}\) is the same as \(s^{pst}t^{qst}\)

Now we can go statement by statement:

I. Is \(\frac{s^{pst}t^{qst}}{s^{t}}\) an integer? \(\rightarrow\) \(s^{pst-t}t^{qst}=s^{t(ps-1)}t^{qst}\). It's important to notice that since \(t\) and \(s\) are greater than \(1\) (according to the question stem) and since \(p\) must be greater than \(0\), then \(t(ps-1)\) will always be positive and therefore \(s^{t(ps-1)}t^{qst}\) will always be an integer. This statement must be true.

II. Is \(\frac{s^{pst}t^{qst}}{(st)^{2}}\) an integer? \(\rightarrow\) \(s^{pst-2}t^{qst-2}\). Again, it's important to notice that since \(t\) and \(s\) are greater than \(1\) (according to the question stem) and since \(p\) and \(q\) must be greater than \(0\), \(pst-2\) and \(qst-2\) will always be positive and therefore \(s^{pst-2}t^{qst-2}\) will always be an integer. This statement must be true.

III. Is \(\frac{s^{pst}t^{qst}}{s+t}\) an integer? \(\rightarrow\) Well, in this case we know that a sum of positive factors is never a factor of the multiplication of such factors. You can try this: \(\frac{(6)(5)}{6+5}=\frac{30}{11}\), which is clearly not an integer. This statement is not true.

Correct answer is option E.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
chetan2u
what is the rule that allows this?: s^st is a factor, so s^t will also be a factor..

chetan2u wrote:

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)

\(2) (st)^2\)
as s and t are >1, in n^st, st will be atleast 4, as minimum value of s and t is 2..
so n^st or min value n^4 = st^4, thus st^2 will always be a factor of n^st.. YES

\(3) s + t\)
NOT necessary

E
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33160 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dc2880 wrote:
chetan2u
what is the rule that allows this?: s^st is a factor, so s^t will also be a factor..

chetan2u wrote:

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)

\(2) (st)^2\)

\(3) s + t\)
NOT necessary

E

I have added few more details for better understanding, so please check it again.
Should clear your query.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

If s=ax and b=bx, where a, b and x are integers, and as s and t are factors of n, we can write n=LCM(st)*y=abxy

\(n^{st}\) will have factors: \(x^{st}, \ \ s^{st}, \ \ and \ \ t^{st}\)
lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)
\(s^{st}\) is a factor, so \(s^t\) and \(s^s\) will also be a factor.. YES

\(2) (st)^2\)
\((s)^{st}\) and \((t)^{st}\) are factors and we know that both s and t are >1. Thus least value of both s and t is 2.
So, the min value of \(n^{st}\) will be \(n^4=(abxy)^4=a^4*b^4*x^4*y^4=a^2*(ax)^2*b^2*(bx)^2*b^2*y^4=a^2*s^2*t^2*y^4=a^2*(st)^2*y^4\).
Thus, \((st)^2\) will always be a factor of \((n)^4\) or \(n^{st}\).. YES

\(3) s + t\)
Say y=5, x=1, a=2, and b=3, that is s=2 and t=3, then n=5*2*3=30. 2+3 or 5 is a factor of \(30^{2*3}\)
But say y=5, x=1, a=2, and b=3, that is s=2 and t=3, then n=6*2*3=36. 2+3 or 5 is not a factor of \(36^{2*3}\)
NOT necessary

Only (1) and (2) must be true.

E

Responding to a PM

Adding my take on substituting some values for s and t.

Always be careful on taking values in MUST be true questions.
You may have just taken some value that fits in for the values taken but may not fit in for other values.
For example: if you take s=2 and t=6, then n=LCM (2,6)*y=6y
Option III. s+t=2+6=8, which will be a factor of (6y)^12=2^12*3^12*y^12.
Or
If you take s=t, option III will be true irrespective of values of s and t.

thank you for your reply. for "\(s^{st}\) is a factor, so \(s^t\) and \(s^s\) will also be a factor.. YES"

wouldn't \(s^{st}\) factor out to \((s^{t})^s\), not \(s^t\) * \(s^s\)?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33160 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dc2880 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

If s=ax and b=bx, where a, b and x are integers, and as s and t are factors of n, we can write n=LCM(st)*y=abxy

\(n^{st}\) will have factors: \(x^{st}, \ \ s^{st}, \ \ and \ \ t^{st}\)
lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)
\(s^{st}\) is a factor, so \(s^t\) and \(s^s\) will also be a factor.. YES

\(2) (st)^2\)
\((s)^{st}\) and \((t)^{st}\) are factors and we know that both s and t are >1. Thus least value of both s and t is 2.
So, the min value of \(n^{st}\) will be \(n^4=(abxy)^4=a^4*b^4*x^4*y^4=a^2*(ax)^2*b^2*(bx)^2*b^2*y^4=a^2*s^2*t^2*y^4=a^2*(st)^2*y^4\).
Thus, \((st)^2\) will always be a factor of \((n)^4\) or \(n^{st}\).. YES

\(3) s + t\)
Say y=5, x=1, a=2, and b=3, that is s=2 and t=3, then n=5*2*3=30. 2+3 or 5 is a factor of \(30^{2*3}\)
But say y=5, x=1, a=2, and b=3, that is s=2 and t=3, then n=6*2*3=36. 2+3 or 5 is not a factor of \(36^{2*3}\)
NOT necessary

Only (1) and (2) must be true.

E

Responding to a PM

Adding my take on substituting some values for s and t.

Always be careful on taking values in MUST be true questions.
You may have just taken some value that fits in for the values taken but may not fit in for other values.
For example: if you take s=2 and t=6, then n=LCM (2,6)*y=6y
Option III. s+t=2+6=8, which will be a factor of (6y)^12=2^12*3^12*y^12.
Or
If you take s=t, option III will be true irrespective of values of s and t.

thank you for your reply. for "\(s^{st}\) is a factor, so \(s^t\) and \(s^s\) will also be a factor.. YES"

wouldn't \(s^{st}\) factor out to \((s^{t})^s\), not \(s^t\) * \(s^s\)?

Yes, \(s^{st}=(s^s)^t\), so \(s^s \) is a factor.
Similarly, \(s^{st}=(s^t)^s\), so \(s^t \) is a factor.
Thus both s^t and s^s are factors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]
If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of \(n^{st}\)?

I. \(s^t\)

II. \((st)^2\)

III. \(s + t\)

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) II only
(D) III only
(E) I and II only

VeritasKarishma Bunuel BrentGMATPrepNow egmat
I tested some values, and got the right answer. But I wasn't totally sure if these 2 options are going to be valid for ANY set of numbers.
Could you pls explain it in an algebraic way, or maybe in some way using which I could be totally sure that the numbers will work everytime?

Thankyou in Advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
(I) If s^t is a factor of n^(st), then n^(st) / s^t is an integer. From the q we know n/s and n/t are integers (as s and t are factors of n).

Then n^(st) / s^t = n^t * n^(-t) * n^(st) / s^t = (n/s)^t * n^(st)*n^(-t) = integer * n^(t(s-1)) = integer, since t and s are > 1 (so s-1 is at least 1)

(II) Is n^(st) / (st)^2 an integer? We know n/s * n/t = n^2/(st) is an integer. So is n^4 / (st)^2

Then n^(st) / (st)^2 = n^4 / (st)^2 * n^(st) * n^-4 = integer * n^(st-4) = integer, since s and t are > 1, so st>=4, so n^(st-4) is at least 1

At this point the correct answer must be E (I&II are true). There is no option for I&II&III true. Not sure how this could be done in 2 mins though! Anyone see errors with my solution?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM