Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
star21 wrote:
Dear All,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know my suitability for the Program. My profile details are below:

 Total Work experience - 6.5 years in consulting field.
 Currently, working as Senior Consultant/ Assistant Manager with one of the Big 4, in its sustainability team.
 Female, Age 31 years
 Volunteer for UN, working for empowerment for women in Uganda
 Work Experience in 25/29 States in India and 3 countries - India, Bhutan and Bangladesh
 GRE Score - 314 (164 Quant and 150 Verbal)
 2 Publications in International Journal
 Education: Master of Technology in Environmental Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India
 CGPA - 4.27/5

Hi star21,

You have a very good profile. I can see excellent experiences and incidents for your essay already. No.of years of work ex, Big 4 in resume, international experience, etc so many good elements in your profile. But your GRE score is way below the average for Rotman. Even then I encourage you to apply since stranger things have happened. But you may want to include a few dafe schools or improve your score. Hope this helps.

Best,
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Rahul30 wrote:
Nationality- Indian

Please evaluate.

Hi Rahul30,

You have an excellent profile. Your work ex, gmat score and co curricular activities all are ingredients to a very good profile. Telus, Bell & Rogers are telecom behemoths of Canada which will love to have you with them. Just prepare a stellar application now and hope for the best. Good Luck !

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.25
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Dear Experts, I would be applying in Rotman. Please review my profile. I have average GMAT, but considerable differentated profile/experience.

GMAT - 680 :|
Schooling
• 10th and 12th Grades: 93% (CBSE, District level Merit Holder) , 88% (MP Board) respectively
• Extracurricular activities: Cricket and Photography
College (Graduation)
• College name: Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
• Degree: B. Tech [Mechanical]
• Grades: 8.15/10 (3.2/4)
• Notable projects undertaken: Generation of Hot Spots in Photovoltaic cell at Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA
Professional Experience

Total Professional Experience - 4.5 Years (International Experience - 4.2 Years)

 Polyplex Corporation Limited
 Role- Management Trainee
 Location- Noida India
 Tenure- 6months [June’13-Nov’13]
 Polyplex Europa
 Location- Çorlu, Turkey
 Tenure- 6months [Dec’13-May’14]

 Polyplex Thailand Public Company Limited
 Role- Production Analyst (Manager) reporting to General Manager (Head-Operations) and Now working as Process Manager (Production) since May’16
 Location- Rayong, Thailand
 Tenure- 40 months [June’14- Till date]

Professional Experience:-
Job Profile – I am the youngest person in the company to have been hired at the post of Manager in the company’s history of 30+ years.
Polyplex Group is the 4th Largest manufacturer of Polyester Film in the world with locations in India, Turkey, Thailand and USA and distribution offices in Poland, China, Netherlands, Singapore etc.

Operational Analyst-
For 2 years, I worked under Head-Operations (General Manager) of company as operational Analyst. In this profile, my work catered to the data analysis on various aspects for the plant improvement. I have been involved in high decision making body for the turn-around of the company. For this I worked with Managing Director of the company. I was completely responsible for CAPEX proposal, MIS Generation. One of my proposals accepted by top management resulted in annual saving of USD 1 million. I got a fair exposure of general management of the company including the financial aspects. In this role, I got a fair view of all areas of running a business, right from Inventory management to product manufacturing to Manpower Management along with the sales strategy of the company. I have been part of all CEO Review meetings, which gave me an amazing experience of how top management deals with problems and how does senior management perceive things.

Process Manager-
Looking into the good performance, I have been shifted to the core operations as process Manager (Industrial Film Division), independently handling the operations of 2000MT/Month production capacity polyester film plant. Plant is $100 Million facility, with state of the art setup
I am responsible for all process related trouble shooting and all new product development related activities, handling day-to-day operational activities involved in Production.

57 Thai nationals report me directly (Production Department)

Extracurricular Activities & Achievements
 In College
o Received Dean’s List Award for excellent academic performance in IIT in last four semesters (consecutively)
o Won College Competition organized among all IIT Gandhinagar Students. Got opportunity for Internship in Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA. Received an award of $1000 as part of competition win.
o Marketing Manager of IIT-GN Technical Annual Summit. Had at team of 15 young students. Footfall of Summit increased threefold
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
shubham12123 wrote:
Dear Experts, I would be applying in Rotman. Please review my profile. I have average GMAT, but considerable differentated profile/experience.

GMAT - 680 :|
Schooling
• 10th and 12th Grades: 93% (CBSE, District level Merit Holder) , 88% (MP Board) respectively
• Extracurricular activities: Cricket and Photography
College (Graduation)
• College name: Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
• Degree: B. Tech [Mechanical]
• Grades: 8.15/10 (3.2/4)
• Notable projects undertaken: Generation of Hot Spots in Photovoltaic cell at Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA
Professional Experience

Total Professional Experience - 4.5 Years (International Experience - 4.2 Years)

 Polyplex Corporation Limited
 Location- Noida India
 Tenure- 6months [June’13-Nov’13]
 Polyplex Europa
 Location- Çorlu, Turkey
 Tenure- 6months [Dec’13-May’14]

 Polyplex Thailand Public Company Limited
 Role- Production Analyst (Manager) reporting to General Manager (Head-Operations) and Now working as Process Manager (Production) since May’16
 Location- Rayong, Thailand
 Tenure- 40 months [June’14- Till date]

Professional Experience:-
Job Profile – I am the youngest person in the company to have been hired at the post of Manager in the company’s history of 30+ years.
Polyplex Group is the 4th Largest manufacturer of Polyester Film in the world with locations in India, Turkey, Thailand and USA and distribution offices in Poland, China, Netherlands, Singapore etc.

Operational Analyst-
For 2 years, I worked under Head-Operations (General Manager) of company as operational Analyst. In this profile, my work catered to the data analysis on various aspects for the plant improvement. I have been involved in high decision making body for the turn-around of the company. For this I worked with Managing Director of the company. I was completely responsible for CAPEX proposal, MIS Generation. One of my proposals accepted by top management resulted in annual saving of USD 1 million. I got a fair exposure of general management of the company including the financial aspects. In this role, I got a fair view of all areas of running a business, right from Inventory management to product manufacturing to Manpower Management along with the sales strategy of the company. I have been part of all CEO Review meetings, which gave me an amazing experience of how top management deals with problems and how does senior management perceive things.

Process Manager-
Looking into the good performance, I have been shifted to the core operations as process Manager (Industrial Film Division), independently handling the operations of 2000MT/Month production capacity polyester film plant. Plant is $100 Million facility, with state of the art setup
I am responsible for all process related trouble shooting and all new product development related activities, handling day-to-day operational activities involved in Production.

57 Thai nationals report me directly (Production Department)

Extracurricular Activities & Achievements
 In College
o Received Dean’s List Award for excellent academic performance in IIT in last four semesters (consecutively)
o Won College Competition organized among all IIT Gandhinagar Students. Got opportunity for Internship in Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA. Received an award of $1000 as part of competition win.
o Marketing Manager of IIT-GN Technical Annual Summit. Had at team of 15 young students. Footfall of Summit increased threefold

I think you have a reasonable shot of getting in. You should try and showcase the value of that IIT degree. For an IITian, your GMAT is on the lower side, although the dean's list will help. If possible, I would encourage you to retake the GMAT and aim for a 720+. Also, Rotman has a number of alumni who went to the IITs. Try reaching out to them on LinkedIn and try incorporating their advice in your applications/essays/interviews.

Rotman just increased the number of women in its cohort from 32% to 40% and I expect that they'll be aiming to keep that number constant. Applications last year were up 30% and 25% the year before that. This year will probably be even more competitive especially for Indian Male Engineers.
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi Ishan,

Though I am just a co-applicant who will be applying for Rotman this year(alongside you),
with those kind of credentials I feel you shouldn't think twice before applying to Rotman!

The B-School application is a lot more than just the GMAT. That being said, the
average score for Rotman is around 665, so if the ad-com feels otherwise,
ask for some time to submit an improved GMAT score!

I feel yours is a profile which has had more leadership opportunities than anybody
with this level of experience would have.
Link for what Rotman expects from its candidates:
https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... tWeLookFor

Hope that helps you make an informed decision!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.32
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hello Everyone! Hope all is well!

Here is a quick overview of my profile.

[*]--> Canadian (black), underrepresented minority
[*]--> 29 years old
[*]--> Bachelors in Public Administration from a Canadian university (3.2 GPA)
[*]--> 6 years work experience --> sales, policy analyst with federal and provincial levels of government. Currently working for major Canadian bank
[*]--> Extra-curricular --> Volunteer at community radio station at my old university. I help conceptualize and develop radio content. Super fun! Lots of work! I am also co-founder of a small NGO, a statistical project for innovation, research and empowerment in Africa. MBA will provide tools to get project off the ground running.
[*]--> GMAT --> wrote in March 2017. Bombed with a 350. Been prepping like a maniac since then. Looking to break 600. Will re-write in November 2017
[*]--> Post MBA - use existing expertise in policy formation and analysis to build a career in business-government relations. An MBA will bridge the gap between my background and where I want to go.

What do you think of the profile?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishanshroff wrote:
Hi All - Can you evaluate my profile and let me know if it will be good enough for Rotman (have an extremely low GMAT score)

Background and nationality: Chartered Accountant (Masters degree in accounting and finance) - Indian
Undergrad Information: GPA of 4
GMAT: 620 (not sure if I will have time to give another shot)
Work experience and leadership -
1. Current - Account CFO for a USD 70 Million p.a. account AND Lead Deal Expert handle yearly revenue of USD 4 Billion p.a. - I lead a team of Cohorts (IT Company - 3 years) [2 promotions]
2. Risk Consulting - KPMG - 2 years
3. Audit and Financial consulting - Ernst & Young - 1 year

Community and others - State level TT player + have some community service
Post MBA goals - Strategy and Business design
International Exp - been on 2 short term Consulting projects - goal was to train C Level executives
Anything else?
I am also an independent financial consultant for a startup in India (side / part time job)
Have lead various Finance Process automation projects in the companies I have worked with

Hi Ishan,

You seem to have an excellent profile- great work experience with leadership. Would definitely be appreciated by any business school.

Your GMAT score is low for Rotman. I'd say get close to a 700. You still have time for a retake until the first deadline or you could wait to apply with a better score in R2. If you apply now, you'll be taking a chance. I think applying with stronger credentials is always beneficial
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
helme009 wrote:
Hello Everyone! Hope all is well!

Here is a quick overview of my profile.

[*]--> Canadian (black), underrepresented minority
[*]--> 29 years old
[*]--> Bachelors in Public Administration from a Canadian university (3.2 GPA)
[*]--> 6 years work experience --> sales, policy analyst with federal and provincial levels of government. Currently working for major Canadian bank
[*]--> Extra-curricular --> Volunteer at community radio station at my old university. I help conceptualize and develop radio content. Super fun! Lots of work! I am also co-founder of a small NGO, a statistical project for innovation, research and empowerment in Africa. MBA will provide tools to get project off the ground running.
[*]--> GMAT --> wrote in March 2017. Bombed with a 350. Been prepping like a maniac since then. Looking to break 600. Will re-write in November 2017
[*]--> Post MBA - use existing expertise in policy formation and analysis to build a career in business-government relations. An MBA will bridge the gap between my background and where I want to go.

What do you think of the profile?

Underrepresented minority doesn't work the same way in Canada as it does in the States. With your GPA, you'd need a 650-680 to be considered by adcom.

Also, are you Male or Female? Rotman just increased the percentage of women from 32% to 40% so it's even more competitive for male applicants.

You have a pretty interesting profile, and if you manage to boost your GMAT, I would encourage you to look at the MPP/MBA dual degree program with the Munk School.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile for Rotman.

GMAT 660 Q48, V33 AWA 5.5
Education : B-tech from a tier 3 college in India under JNTU , Grade A (I took five years to complete my engineering instead of four as i had to take a sabbatical for an year due to my mom's health condition)
Work Ex: I started working before graduating to financial circumstances at home(as mentioned above). - Been working for close to three years now. Started as a customer support associate at a small agency where i was the single point of contact for support, set up the operations for the future associates, set up KPI's and brought the function alive.Then, I moved into an inside sales account manager role at a startup; Within 5 months of joining, shifted vertically into the marketing team of a startup. I have built the content architecture of the company's blog from scratch and performed above par he last quarter.
Nationality : Indian

I really identify with rotman's methodology and their efforts to bring in more women into the business sector. My target post b-school is into strategy roles.
Director
Director
Send PM
Monmonsta wrote:
Hi,

Education : B-tech from a tier 3 college in India under JNTU , Grade A (I took five years to complete my engineering instead of four as i had to take a sabbatical for an year due to my mom's health condition)
Work Ex: I started working before graduating to financial circumstances at home(as mentioned above). - Been working for close to three years now. Started as a customer support associate at a small agency where i was the single point of contact for support, set up the operations for the future associates, set up KPI's and brought the function alive.Then, I moved into an inside sales account manager role at a startup; Within 5 months of joining, shifted vertically into the marketing team of a startup. I have built the content architecture of the company's blog from scratch and performed above par he last quarter.

I really identify with rotman's methodology and their efforts to bring in more women into the business sector. My target post b-school is into strategy roles.

Hi there,

Your profile is average. A lot of candidates with similar profile will be applying to Rotman. Schools will be sympathetic to your circumstance but it will depend on how you present it to the adcom. Similarly, you work in start can go either way. You'll need to present it properly. Gender diversity does give you a few cookie points but still chances don't improve a lot. Hope this helps.

Best,
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishanshroff wrote:
Hi Pushpit & MBADecoder - thank you for your response, it made me take a decision - I cannot afford to take a chance with my application and hence will give the GMAT again - if it means I may have to wait for round 2, then so be it

Glad to know Ishan and I hope you are able to crack the GMAT this time.
All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
EduSimplified wrote:
Monmonsta wrote:
Hi,

Hi there,

Your profile is average. A lot of candidates with similar profile will be applying to Rotman. Schools will be sympathetic to your circumstance but it will depend on how you present it to the adcom. Similarly, you work in start can go either way. You'll need to present it properly. Gender diversity does give you a few cookie points but still chances don't improve a lot. Hope this helps.

Best,

Thank you for your honest eval!
I'm not really trying to get a sympathetic response from the Adcoms as much as explain my education gap.
Would scoring a 700+ help? I am currently working on using data to leverage our communication channels and think that it would place me at a better rapport seeing that rotman is a data driven bschool. I am also planning on doing stats courses and am ready to postpone my application by a year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
EduSimplified would you mind also evaluating my profile? I have posted by profile earlier but didn't get much respond. Here is my profile:

Background & nationality: Thai, 26 years old, Male

Undergrad Information: Have a degree in Finance from a university in the USA, GPA: 3.57

GMAT: I have passed all the CFA exams, and plan on using it to waive the GMAT requirement

Work experience and leadership: Currently working as an equity analyst for a private fund in Bangkok. The team is pretty small so the organization structure is flat. However, I am pretty much in charge of my on work from initiation of a company to analyse up to convincing investors to invests. Prior to this I worked a little over a year a Corporate Finance Consultant. I remained in the same position here but I get to be in charge of several projects where I had a few subordinates

Community and others: I have done quite a bit of community service during my undergrad days. Post undergrad, I was involved in an organization that assisted Syrian refugees in Bangkok, where I helped tutor some of the families' children in Math lessons, but this was very informal.

International experience(if any): For my current position, I became the primarily analyst for Vietnamese market, resulting in first foreign investment of the fund. I am consistently in contact with Vietnamese sources and fly to Vietnam consistently. In my previous consulting position, I was in involve in a M&A deal for British PE wanting to take over a Myanmar Telecom Company. I was the point of contact person for the Thai team and consistently travel to Yangon and was in charge of valuation of the target company

Post MBA goals: I want to work in an asset management company outside of Thailand and proceed to become a fund manager

X-Factor - What makes you different?: I think having a background in finance would be a strength as Rotman is well-known for its finance program. Also, having work experience in several South East Asia countries would be a benefit, especially if I want to get into asset management post-MBA as this is the region with some of the highest growth in world. Also, despite being in more junior positions, I was able to take charge on several projects and actually managed other people

Concerns: I have had 3 jobs in the past 4 and half years, which I think might look bad on my profile

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.67
Send PM
I need some guidance regarding my chances in MBA schools. My preferred colleges:ISB hyderabad, Mays (Texas A&M),Marriot (Bringham YU),Schuliz,Rotman,NUS Singapore and NTU.

GMAT:680 Q 49, V 34
GPA:3.1 Electrical Engg
Exp:8years in Indian Maharatna PSU NTPC

Achievements:
Was part of the team that completed erection and commissioning of steam turbine in record time of 13months,a project worth INR 450 cr

Formulated a plan to stop barring stalling in turbine leading to annual saving of over 150 cr annually.

Other than my work life i also engage in csr activities of ntpc ,participating in education and swachh bharat abhiyan.

I am planning to start my mba at the earliest so is my profile ok or should i go for a better gmat score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
ashutoshranjan wrote:
I need some guidance regarding my chances in MBA schools. My preferred colleges:ISB hyderabad, Mays (Texas A&M),Marriot (Bringham YU),Schuliz,Rotman,NUS Singapore and NTU.

GMAT:680 Q 49, V 34
GPA:3.1 Electrical Engg
Exp:8years in Indian Maharatna PSU NTPC

Achievements:
Was part of the team that completed erection and commissioning of steam turbine in record time of 13months,a project worth INR 450 cr

Formulated a plan to stop barring stalling in turbine leading to annual saving of over 150 cr annually.

Other than my work life i also engage in csr activities of ntpc ,participating in education and swachh bharat abhiyan.

I am planning to start my mba at the earliest so is my profile ok or should i go for a better gmat score.

This thread is for Rotman Profile evaluation. You might consider posting your specific query here

One advice for you: I can see that you have been posting this profile evaluation request since quite some time. You have already received several response to your request and you are still posting the same content without digging deep into it or without adding any further value. Please bear in mind that this act classifies as POST INFLATION. Hence, please try to be more specific in terms of your post and queries instead of indiscriminately posting the same request.
Director
Director
Send PM
Monmonsta wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your honest eval!
I'm not really trying to get a sympathetic response from the Adcoms as much as explain my education gap.
Would scoring a 700+ help? I am currently working on using data to leverage our communication channels and think that it would place me at a better rapport seeing that rotman is a data driven bschool. I am also planning on doing stats courses and am ready to postpone my application by a year.

Hi,

Improving your GMAT and waiting another year will both help a lot in your case. And during this year you can identify gaps in your profile and work on them.

Best,
Director
Director
Send PM
apandey123 wrote:
EduSimplified would you mind also evaluating my profile? I have posted by profile earlier but didn't get much respond. Here is my profile:

Background & nationality: Thai, 26 years old, Male

Undergrad Information: Have a degree in Finance from a university in the USA, GPA: 3.57

GMAT: I have passed all the CFA exams, and plan on using it to waive the GMAT requirement

Work experience and leadership: Currently working as an equity analyst for a private fund in Bangkok. The team is pretty small so the organization structure is flat. However, I am pretty much in charge of my on work from initiation of a company to analyse up to convincing investors to invests. Prior to this I worked a little over a year a Corporate Finance Consultant. I remained in the same position here but I get to be in charge of several projects where I had a few subordinates

Community and others: I have done quite a bit of community service during my undergrad days. Post undergrad, I was involved in an organization that assisted Syrian refugees in Bangkok, where I helped tutor some of the families' children in Math lessons, but this was very informal.

International experience(if any): For my current position, I became the primarily analyst for Vietnamese market, resulting in first foreign investment of the fund. I am consistently in contact with Vietnamese sources and fly to Vietnam consistently. In my previous consulting position, I was in involve in a M&A deal for British PE wanting to take over a Myanmar Telecom Company. I was the point of contact person for the Thai team and consistently travel to Yangon and was in charge of valuation of the target company

Post MBA goals: I want to work in an asset management company outside of Thailand and proceed to become a fund manager

X-Factor - What makes you different?: I think having a background in finance would be a strength as Rotman is well-known for its finance program. Also, having work experience in several South East Asia countries would be a benefit, especially if I want to get into asset management post-MBA as this is the region with some of the highest growth in world. Also, despite being in more junior positions, I was able to take charge on several projects and actually managed other people

Concerns: I have had 3 jobs in the past 4 and half years, which I think might look bad on my profile

Thanks!

Hi there,

You have a good profile. Having CFA will go a long way not just with admissions but also with job prospects. You have nice work ex, diversity factor, US education, congruence in previous education-work ex-future goals, and other factors too. Yes you should explain frequent job change. But overall you have a good profile. Just prepare a stellar application package and go for it. Are you applying to any other Canadian schools? Let me know if you need any help with the applications.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30   
Moderator:
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
72 posts