Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

Have applied to Rotman in Round 1 this year. What are my chances of getting admitted given the profile below:

1. Demographics:

Indian Male; 27 years of Age

2. Work Experience:

- One year and 9 months in a real estate investment banking company as an associate, will complete 2 plus years by the time the programme starts
- 2 years and 3 months in BIG 4 Consulting Firm as an analyst in the internal audit department
- 6 months of selling real estate units for Big Conglomerate

3. Education

Passed all Levels of CFA (USA)
Passed Part 1 of FRM
Not given GMAT since it is waived for all applicants who have passed all levels of CFA
Bachelor of Management Studies from Mumbai University (72.5% in final year)

Thanks for your inputs
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
shroff8 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Have applied to Rotman in Round 1 this year. What are my chances of getting admitted given the profile below:

1. Demographics:

Indian Male; 27 years of Age

2. Work Experience:

- One year and 9 months in a real estate investment banking company as an associate, will complete 2 plus years by the time the programme starts
- 2 years and 3 months in BIG 4 Consulting Firm as an analyst in the internal audit department
- 6 months of selling real estate units for Big Conglomerate

3. Education

Passed all Levels of CFA (USA)
Passed Part 1 of FRM
Not given GMAT since it is waived for all applicants who have passed all levels of CFA
Bachelor of Management Studies from Mumbai University (72.5% in final year)

Thanks for your inputs

Hello shroff8

I assume based on your profile (CFA, FRM) you want to specialize in Finance related majors on MBA studies ? ( Financial Reporting and Analysis/Funds Management/Investment Banking)

Certainly this major would be my choice :cool:

https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... ngineering

I think your work experience is relevant.

Having professional certificates like CFA and soon FRM is great and having GMAT waived means they will focus on other aspects of your application, but it should be advantage for you certainly.

Average undergraduate GPA is 3.5. for admitted students at Rotman.

I would say you have very good chances and would most probably end up being admitted :thumbup:

Here is their class profile as further guidance and comparison, if necessary :

https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... assProfile

Good luck and keep us posted with result ! :fingers_crossed:
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hey shroff8

Welcome to GMATClub!

To begin with, Rotman is a finance school and your credentials are a perfect fit for this school.
I wish you all the best for an interview invite at the earliest and a subsequent admit. Looking
forward to hearing from you. Do keep us informed :)

However, you could create an additional profile evaluation request in the Rotman thread
https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-evalu ... 27367.html

Hope this helps you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM

!
Post Removed. Do not post promotional content in business school threads.

Originally posted by aakashbaweja on 08 Oct 2018, 16:59.
Last edited by pushpitkc on 22 Oct 2018, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Mod warning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Male
Indian
GMAT Score- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-5, IR- 7)
Class X- 86%
Class XII- 84%
Engineer- Electrical (one of the top Engineering colleges in the country)
CGPA-8.34/10
Work ex- 8.3 years
Working in corporate strategy at CESC, a major power utility based out of Kolkata in the Regulatory domain focusing on profitability as well as balancing between public policy interests. While competition plays a key role in pricing model for any commodity in the world, electricity being an essential commodity in a developing economy like India, worked closely with Government and regulatory bodies to provide a sustainable yet profitable long term techno commercial solutions for consumer tariff and other operational parameters.
Extra-curricular activities include adventure sports, represented company and department in various football tournaments, part of company initiatives in CSR activities, Founder member at College Tech fest and Finance Head at College fests

Kindly evaluate my profile for prospects. I am targeting R2
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello wizbiz007

Pretty strong profile for Rotman in terms of work experience and GMAT. What other schools are you applying to?
I see you haven't touched upon your career goals. A clear, specific and realistic career goals narrative is the most crucial part of your written applications. You will need to present this well in order to gain an admission. You may want to read here to add to your existing research.
Coming to extracurricular activities (these add diversity to your profile)- keep in mind that most school/college activities do not carry much weight (unless you have achieved something spectacular)
To conclude, as long as you can present all the factors mentioned here in your written application, you have a decent shot at Rotman.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

wizbiz007 wrote:
Male
Indian
GMAT Score- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-5, IR- 7)
Class X- 86%
Class XII- 84%
Engineer- Electrical (one of the top Engineering colleges in the country)
CGPA-8.34/10
Work ex- 8.3 years
Working in corporate strategy at CESC, a major power utility based out of Kolkata in the Regulatory domain focusing on profitability as well as balancing between public policy interests. While competition plays a key role in pricing model for any commodity in the world, electricity being an essential commodity in a developing economy like India, worked closely with Government and regulatory bodies to provide a sustainable yet profitable long term techno commercial solutions for consumer tariff and other operational parameters.
Extra-curricular activities include adventure sports, represented company and department in various football tournaments, part of company initiatives in CSR activities, Founder member at College Tech fest and Finance Head at College fests

Kindly evaluate my profile for prospects. I am targeting R2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Hello, Can any Samaritarian evaluate my profile ?

Background and nationality: Indian, Male, 27 years
Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Chemical Engineer from Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
GMAT: 690 ( Q49, V35)
Achievements:
Awarded gold medal for achieving highest aggregate score throughout Engineering
Awarded gold medal for achieving highest score in Elective subjects ( Petroleum and Peteochemical subjects) throughout Engineering
Awarded gold medal for achieving highest aggregate score in 3rd and 4th year of Engineering
Awarded Silver medal at State level for achieving highest aggregate score in Chemical Engineering
Earned Recognition from Ramkrishna Mission Vivekananda Memorial for achieving all the above listed gold medal
Co-founder of NGO called Vadodara Toastmasters Club
Served as an Excom at Vadodara Toastmasters Club
Earned Recognition as a Competent Leader by Toastmasters International
Earned several awards as a Best Speaker and as a Participate for supporting the Toastmasters Event
Secured Most Innovative and 2nd Position in Chem car competition at Azeotropy'13 at IIT Bombay
Secured 3rd position at University level Chess Tournament
Served as an Excom at the University Department level activities
Actively participated in several Technical and non technical activities held at University level
Active member of Defunct local NGO of stray dogs.
Actively carrying out social services for the stray animals from home
Work Experience:
Acting as Senior Executive Engineer at Linde (5.5 years)
Worked in Munich, Germany for 3 months
Lead a project in South Africa for 2 months
Currently acting as a Lead for 10 billion Euro Ethylene Complex
Post MBA goals - short term (Member of Senior Management Team of a Chemical Firm); long term (become CEO / MD of Chemical firm+ start-up an NGO for bringing awareness for the Environmental problems faced by the world + open a plastic recycling plant)
Hobbies: Observing the social behaviour of Wildlife, reading Washington Post

Regards,
Daivat Buch

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello daivat21buch

Interesting profile. Seems strong on academic and extracurricular achievements. A big laundry list- you should now zero in on the stories that you want to to tell in your essays (you can't possibly tell everything, so choose wisely)
At the same time, I am slightly surprised, you have mentioned so much around your academic and extracurricular achievements and hardly anything around your work experience except the role/company and international exposure. An MBA at the root of it is a professional program and it would help if you give the same (or more) focuse to your career progress, achievements at work, impact on the business of your organization.
Career goals seem realistic, but why MBA and why Rotman- do your research.
Your GMAT is not stellar, but not a deal breaker for Rotman either. What other schools are your applying to?
To conclude, choose the right stories, highlight the depth of your work ex and tie in career goals accordingly and you have a decent shot.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

daivat21buch wrote:
Hello, Can any Samaritarian evaluate my profile ?

Background and nationality: Indian, Male, 27 years
Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Chemical Engineer from Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
GMAT: 690 ( Q49, V35)
Achievements:
Awarded gold medal for achieving highest aggregate score throughout Engineering
Awarded gold medal for achieving highest score in Elective subjects ( Petroleum and Peteochemical subjects) throughout Engineering
Awarded gold medal for achieving highest aggregate score in 3rd and 4th year of Engineering
Awarded Silver medal at State level for achieving highest aggregate score in Chemical Engineering
Earned Recognition from Ramkrishna Mission Vivekananda Memorial for achieving all the above listed gold medal
Co-founder of NGO called Vadodara Toastmasters Club
Served as an Excom at Vadodara Toastmasters Club
Earned Recognition as a Competent Leader by Toastmasters International
Earned several awards as a Best Speaker and as a Participate for supporting the Toastmasters Event
Secured Most Innovative and 2nd Position in Chem car competition at Azeotropy'13 at IIT Bombay
Secured 3rd position at University level Chess Tournament
Served as an Excom at the University Department level activities
Actively participated in several Technical and non technical activities held at University level
Active member of Defunct local NGO of stray dogs.
Actively carrying out social services for the stray animals from home
Work Experience:
Acting as Senior Executive Engineer at Linde (5.5 years)
Worked in Munich, Germany for 3 months
Lead a project in South Africa for 2 months
Currently acting as a Lead for 10 billion Euro Ethylene Complex
Post MBA goals - short term (Member of Senior Management Team of a Chemical Firm); long term (become CEO / MD of Chemical firm+ start-up an NGO for bringing awareness for the Environmental problems faced by the world + open a plastic recycling plant)
Hobbies: Observing the social behaviour of Wildlife, reading Washington Post

Regards,
Daivat Buch

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMAT : Planning to give in 1st week of December, Average score in 3 mocks is 710, I expect and hope my final score will be 740+
Indian Male 27
Class X : 83 %
Class XII : 69.4 %
Graduation : B.Tech Civil Engineer (2014) 67.8 %
2014-15 : Worked as a Civil Engineer with my father in his firm
Post Graduation : M.E Transportation Engineering (2015-17) from BITS Pilani 6.91 cgpa
2017-18 : Worked as a Highway Design Engineer in an MNC(Canada)
Was given various responsibilities regarding preparation of DPR for National Highways, Had to coordinate among various departments of the firm (Geotech, Structure, GIS etc), Have conducted various meetings in NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) & MORTH (Ministry of Road Transport and Highways), Conducted meetings in various cities for Land acquisition process, Have also worked in projects from Africa(But this work was completely technical)
2018- Present : Working as a Project Manager & Highway Engineer in a Construction firm building State Highways.
Leading the project as a Manager which involves construction of a State Highway worth 3 million $
Total Work Experience : 31 months as of now
Internships : At DMRC during my Bachelor's & at Central Road Research Institute of India(CRRI) during my Master's
Achievements : During my internship at CRRI for 2 months published my report in the 1st Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) of India, Won a corporate cricket tournament in May, Have won few quizzes in cultural fests during my bachelor's
Hobbies & Extra-curricular : Quizzing , Cricket, Trekking
Social Work : Have not done much social work but whenever I got the chance, I donated blood in Blood donation camps in my College, Work place
Post MBA goal: My short term post MBA goal is to work in a Management Consultancy firm (Preferably in Business Operations & Strategy )for 4-5 years
After that I would like to come back to India and work in an Indian conglomerate

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Mr. Sharma,
I am highly indebted to u for the time that you spent to evaluate my profile.. I will definitely imbibe your feedback in my application.
Other schools i am targeting are ISB, Haas and Duke

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys!

Glad to find this thread here and looking for some opinions on my current chances of making it into Rotman.

I'm an Indian male aged 26 years. I'm a lawyer by training from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi. (Final Year grade - 73%) Have represented in several competitions in College and won 2. Had Organisational roles in a few events as well.
I have worked at the conjunction of policy and law. My work experience is as follows:

1 year with a Judge of the Delhi High Court as a law researcher.
1 year with a Member of Parliament as a Legislative Assistant in a fellowship by a leading think tank. Assisted with policy interventions, Questions to the Govt and various constituency issues with the MP. (Also getting an LOR from him)
1.2 years with the Central Government Counsel where I worked on defending the policies and interests of the Government in the Delhi High Court.

GRE Score: 321 (163V 158Q 5.0 AWA) - (On their website they state average GRE scores as 313 and median as 316 but how safe is my score? Also, what is the proportion of GRE admits they have?)

Have attended a summer school (American Institute of Political and Economic Systems 2017) in Prague which also delved in Conflict Resolution.
Was a part of the Official Delegation of Government of India to the World Festival of Youth and Students in Sochi, Russia where I presented on Tech Policy and Universal Basic Income.

So my background is non-business, but with the mix of policy in it, I am keen on branching out into business with post MBA goals of going into social sector entrepreneurship or Government Consulting.
Please advise on my chances!

Regards,
Charitarth Bharti
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Charitarth

Yours is an interesting profile. Your work experience adds brownie points and I wouldn't stress too much with that GRE score (or how many people apply with GRE for that matter- these are futile speculations and you can make better use of your time)
That said, a lot will depend on your career goals- I don't see a mention of the same here.
With a profile that is different in terms of work ex, you will have to justify why MBA and why Rotman. You may want to read here to know more on career goals.
If you can tie in a strong career goals' narrative with the admission factors mentioned here, this GRE score can get you in. (that is a big 'IF' though)

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Charitarth wrote:
Hi Guys!

Glad to find this thread here and looking for some opinions on my current chances of making it into Rotman.

I'm an Indian male aged 26 years. I'm a lawyer by training from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi. (Final Year grade - 73%) Have represented in several competitions in College and won 2. Had Organisational roles in a few events as well.
I have worked at the conjunction of policy and law. My work experience is as follows:

1 year with a Judge of the Delhi High Court as a law researcher.
1 year with a Member of Parliament as a Legislative Assistant in a fellowship by a leading think tank. Assisted with policy interventions, Questions to the Govt and various constituency issues with the MP. (Also getting an LOR from him)
1.2 years with the Central Government Counsel where I worked on defending the policies and interests of the Government in the Delhi High Court.

GRE Score: 321 (163V 158Q 5.0 AWA) - (On their website they state average GRE scores as 313 and median as 316 but how safe is my score? Also, what is the proportion of GRE admits they have?)

Have attended a summer school (American Institute of Political and Economic Systems 2017) in Prague which also delved in Conflict Resolution.
Was a part of the Official Delegation of Government of India to the World Festival of Youth and Students in Sochi, Russia where I presented on Tech Policy and Universal Basic Income.

So my background is non-business, but with the mix of policy in it, I am keen on branching out into business with post MBA goals of going into social sector entrepreneurship or Government Consulting.
Please advise on my chances!

Regards,
Charitarth Bharti
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
I have done Btech in ECE with 80% and have around 5 years experience in IT(MNC).
I got 315 (q-165,v-150) = 630(GMAT).
I want to know if my profile has any chance to get Rotman.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos