Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
GS1607 wrote:
LM10SC11 wrote:
GS1607 wrote:
LM10SC11

In my opinion, that's an unfair statement. One doesn't need to be insecure to post his/her profile.

1) You have a gmat of 760 when the school average is 670+.
2) Your undergrad record is stellar.
3) Your work ex. is top notch.
4) You already have an MBA from one of the best institutions in the world.
5) You don't plan to shift industries or function so then again a 2-year program does not make sense.
If I may ask, why do you even want to apply to Rotman?

Thanks. With the difficulties surrounding the US job market and visa these days, I am evaluating Canada as well. Rotman is the best B-School there.

Also, Canada is a great place to settle down - have a lot of friends and relatives there.

So what you basically are looking for is a job in Canada (and not an MBA). It'll be really hard for you to sell yourself to the Rotman admissions team why you need a 2-year MBA just now (this is actually their only essay in the application. So it becomes critical).
I really don't know if an MBA makes sense for you just now. I feel your best shot would be the 1-year MBA program at Ivey in Canada (strong Consulting alumni base and job-prospects). The 2-year MBA makes zero sense at this point considering where you are in your career and what you want to do post your MBA.
Even then I would say that getting a job in Canada is something you should look at instead of getting an MBA. With your background, I don't feel that would be difficult.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
LM10SC11
No. I am looking for a 2 year MBA. I have done enough research on it and spoken with tons of people with my background who have gone through this path. You would be surprised how many people do an MBA from foreign B Schools after a PGDM (which is not an MBA) from India.
Thanks for you inputs; however I am looking for advice from an expert.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi experts,

Please evaluate my profile.

My profile:

GMAT: 710 (QA50/VA36/IR6/AWA4)

Academic Profile:
B.E. Petroleum Engineering from a top Indian private university (GPA: 7.46/10, translates to 3.0/4) - 2014

Work Experience:
Currently working as a Officer Projects at a Government Oil & Gas Company (Project Management).

Overall work ex:

3 years in Project Management (1 promotion)

Extra curricular:
Won awards at several Inter university level cricket competitions

Post MBA ambitions: Would like to work in Operations consulting at a top-tier firm

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GS1607 wrote:
LM10SC11
No. I am looking for a 2 year MBA. I have done enough research on it and spoken with tons of people with my background who have gone through this path. You would be surprised how many people do an MBA from foreign B Schools after a PGDM (which is not an MBA) from India.
Hahaha! Ok genius :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abhinav2892 wrote:
Hi experts,

My profile:

GMAT: 710 (QA50/VA36/IR6/AWA4)

Academic Profile:
B.E. Petroleum Engineering from a top Indian private university (GPA: 7.46/10, translates to 3.0/4) - 2014

Work Experience:
Currently working as a Officer Projects at a Government Oil & Gas Company (Project Management).

Overall work ex:

3 years in Project Management (1 promotion)

Extra curricular:
Won awards at several Inter university level cricket competitions

Post MBA ambitions: Would like to work in Operations consulting at a top-tier firm

Thanks in advance!

You seem to have a strong profile for Rotman. Introspect properly before writing your essays, nail the interview and you should sail through! Good luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
LM10SC11 wrote:
GS1607 wrote:
LM10SC11

5) You don't plan to shift industries or function so then again a 2-year program does not make sense.

Seeing as you haven't done your MBA as yet, I would encourage you to keep opinions such as these to yourself.

The cohort right after mine had two students from IIM Calcutta. One is working at BMO in Investment Banking and the other is in Bain- A big step up from a Big 4 position. This step up is arguably impossible without another MBA. Given that he's an international student, the internship at a two year program will set him apart.

Originally posted by downsouth182 on 31 Oct 2017, 06:38.
Last edited by downsouth182 on 31 Oct 2017, 07:41, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
GS1607 wrote:
Hi experts,

My profile:

GMAT: 760 (QA50/VA42/IR8/AWA6)

Academic Profile:
B.E. Mechanical Engineering from a top Indian private university (GPA: 8.51/10, translates to 3.4/4) - 2009
PGDM from an Indian Institute of Management (GPA: 9.21/10, translates to 3.7/4, Gold medalist - Institute rank 2) - 2012

Work Experience:
Currently working as a Assistant Manager (Strategy & Ops Consulting) at a Big 4.

Overall work ex:
Post Masters
2.5 years in Strategy Consulting (2 promotions)
~3 years in Banking (1 promotion; last designation: Senior Manager, Corporate Finance)
Pre Masters
~1 year as Manager in Pharma company (plant)

Extra curricular:
Won awards at several Inter university level singing competitions

International experience:
Substantial experience of working in UAE and Hong Kong as a Strategy Consultant

Post MBA ambitions: Continue with Strategy consulting at a top-tier firm

Thanks in advance!

You do have a great profile. You should reach out to Rotman grads who also went to the IIMs to get their take on things. If you receive an offer, I would try to negotiate a higher scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi People,

Help review my profile.

Background: Male, Nigerian, 26 years

Undergrad: 3.28 B-tech Accounting

Professional Qualifications: CFA Charterholder, Chartered Accountant (Local)

GMAT: None, intend to use my CFA charter instead of GMAT. (thinking of writing GMAT before the end of the year for applications to other business schools)

Work Experience: 4 years (all in Nigeria) as detailed below:

1. Compliance officer, an Agro-allied Company - 7 Months
2. Fixed Income Analyst, a Boutique Investment Bank - 5 Months
3. Corporate Finance Associate, Big 4 - 2 years, 7 months
4. Corporate Finance Senior Associate, An Infrastructure Finance Company - Current

Other Information: Several volunteering activities, and currently an investment officer of an Investment Club (set up by four of us)

Post MBA Goals: Private Equity/Impact Investing or Investment Management, in Canada or US

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GS1607 wrote:
LM10SC11

Bro, Adcoms are well aware that the IIM MBA is actually a PGDM. Won't make a great story if that's how you position it. The question to ask is what do you bring to the class.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
downsouth182 wrote:
LM10SC11 wrote:
GS1607 wrote:
LM10SC11

Seeing as you haven't done your MBA as yet, I would encourage you to keep opinions such as these to yourself.

The cohort right after mine had two students from IIM Calcutta. One is working at BMO in Investment Banking and the other is in Bain- A big step up from a Big 4 position. This step up is arguably impossible without another MBA. Given that he's an international student, the internship at a two year program will set him apart.

Thanks. This helps hugely.
Completely agree that internship is vital.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Could you please evaluate my profile?

Background: Male, Indian, 27 years

Undergrad: 7.3/10 Mechanical Engineering IIT, Roorkee

GMAT: 670 (Q49, V31)

Work Experience: 3 plus years

1. Business Development, Drone Tech, India - 1 year
2. Co-founder, 3D printing (design & manufacturing) - 2 years
3. Computer Aided Engineer, South Korea - 6 months

CSR projects:
Educational Development, Socio-economic empowerment

Other Information: Certification in Digital Marketing, Startup Leadership Program fellow, Member at BNI (business networking international)

Post MBA Goals: Product Manager/Brand Manager/ Digital Marketer in Canada or US
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
akashbehl wrote:
Hi Experts,

CSR projects:

Other Information: Certification in Digital Marketing, Startup Leadership Program fellow, Member at BNI (business networking international)

You might want to give another shot at the GMAT. Considering your GPA is pretty average, acads could be an issue. During the QS MBA tour in India this September, their admissions team said that they would appreciate a score of at least 700+ from Indian applicants considering the competitive nature of our demographic and the deluge of applications they have received this year from India. That should also help you offset your GPA. A 720+ will be super safe for your profile.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HoneyBadgerAK wrote:
akashbehl wrote:
Hi Experts,

CSR projects:

You might want to give another shot at the GMAT. Considering your GPA is pretty average, acads could be an issue. During the QS MBA tour in India this September, their admissions team said that they would appreciate a score of at least 700+ from Indian applicants considering the competitive nature of our demographic and the deluge of applications they have received this year from India. That should also help you offset your GPA. A 720+ will be super safe for your profile.

I completely agree to this point. Giving GMAT again can really help you.

Moreover, you need to justify your diverse and short duration work ex. Ideally, spending only 6 months at a place could go negative if not very well reasoned.

Other than that I believe "IIT" tag will really help you.

What I heard is that AWA score is also taken very seriously by Rotman. So, make sure it is >=5.

Good Luck :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HoneyBadgerAK wrote:
akashbehl wrote:
Hi Experts,

CSR projects:

Thanks for the review. I am retaking the GMAT next month.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
HoneyBadgerAK wrote:
akashbehl wrote:
Hi Experts,

1. Business Development, Drone Tech, India - 1 year (start-up; employee)
2. Co-founder, 3D printing (design & manufacturing) - 2 years (start-up;director)

CSR projects:

I completely agree to this point. Giving GMAT again can really help you.

Moreover, you need to justify your diverse and short duration work ex. Ideally, spending only 6 months at a place could go negative if not very well reasoned.

Other than that I believe "IIT" tag will really help you.

What I heard is that AWA score is also taken very seriously by Rotman. So, make sure it is >=5.

Good Luck :)

Thanks a lot! I am retaking the GMAT next month. Got a 5 in AWA this time.
I completely agree with the 6 month duration. But, what about the diverse work ex? Are you referring to starting-up and then, joining another start-up ? The job function in both companies was business development. Will it still be considered diverse?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos