Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
EduSimplified wrote:
apandey123 wrote:
EduSimplified, thanks for the feedback! I have submitted my application and I am now waiting for a feedback from the school.

So far I have only decided to apply to Rotman mainly due to the fact that they allow the use of CFA instead of GMAT (never tried the GMAT, I understand most Master in Finance programs does allow me to submit CFA instead of GMAT but other MBAs don't). Also, being in Toronto I think would give me the best chance of meeting many asset management companies/banks giving me the best chance of securing an internship or post-MBA job in my desire industry.

If you have any suggestion on any other programs, please do let me know. Again thanks for your help!

Having cleared CFA you shouldn't have trouble clearing GMAT. But if you have some schools in your mind you can always email them and ask for a waiver. Some schools have that policy but they haven't mentioned it on their websites. While being in Toronto does help, if you are targeting Canadian Schools you don't have other options in Toronto. You may also want to apply to Ivey, Desautels, Schulich & Queens.

While EduSimplified is right in saying you can target other Canadian schools, I must caution you by saying that if you're hoping to land a Front office role in Toronto, Rotman is the only school you should be targeting. Rotman usually lands about 90% of all Investment Banking Associate positions on Bay street and it's a similar story (70-80%) with other Front Office Capital Markets/Asset Managment roles on Bay street.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi, I am a Pakistani female, age 25

GMAT: 760 Q 48, V 47 AWA 5.5
GPA:3.8 Economics & Mathematics - appearing for CFA level 1
Exp: 3 years working for one of the largest conglomerates in the country in Strategy & Business growth, have worked on merger deals, greenfield investment analysis, capital budgeting, turnaround projects.

Internship at leading global FMCG.

ECA:
Started a not-for-profit tech startup benefiting 5000 people to date with a team of 60 people - currently Vice President of the startup. 5+ years of public speaking in national circuit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
As an avid reader and a relatively new poster, I have a request and please let me know if you guys agree, but people seeking validation on their profiles should refrain from posting as this group is to help people who have genuine questions and concerns, and need advice. If you simply seek validation, let's not do that here and clutter the thread.

Moderators, do you concur?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi there,
I wish to apply for the Sept 2018 intake at Rotman.

My Profile Details are as below:

Background and nationality
29 yrs old, Indian

Undergrad Information
10th ICSE (2003) : 90.67%
12th ISC (2005) : 82% (Science)
B.E. (2005-09) : Biomedical Engineering, Mumbai University (73% in Final Year) Average (66% in 4 yrs)
PGDM (2010-12) Business Design (Full Time Course) from Welingkar Mumba (Passed with Distinction)
Certified Digital Marketing Master Digital Vidya (Sept 2016 - Present)

GMAT: 680/800 (Q 49, V 33)

Work experience and leadership

Presales Consultant - Capgemini (Jul 2014 - Present)
Serving as a Bid Management Consultant for APAC region successfully delivering large sized bids

Associate Consultant - Infosys (June 2012 - Jan 2014)
Served as an Associate Consultant with Infosys Ltd, since Jun’12; worked as a Presales consultant for the Energy, Utilities, Communications and Services (ECS) Domain.

Total Work Experience : 5 yrs

Post MBA goals

Intend to work in the Consulting or Product Marketing Domain.

Please let me know my chances & improvement areas.
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Hi @dkhanna,

This thread has been specifically created for profile evaluations. I think you might have this thread confused with the discussion thread.

Link for discussion: https://gmatclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241916

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi dkhanna,

This thread has been specifically created for profile evaluations. I think you might have this thread confused with the discussion thread.

Hope that helps!

Hey bud. No, I was referring to this thread itself. If you notice, some profiles are clearly good applicants but are still seeking some form external validation of their profiles. That leads to cluttering up of the thread and is a hindrance for people who genuinely seek advice and guidance. e.g. if someone has a 670 GMAT and 4 years work ex, it is actually a point of consideration and discussion as to whether they might stand a shot at the school. If someone is telling me I have 4 years work ex and 760 on my GMAT and 3.9 GPA in my undergrad, do I stand a chance, my honest response would be, are you really that dumb that you can't figure this one out on your own. Apologies for the bluntness, but I feel that this forum has been a great help to me and I wish to see the same for others as well; and with inane queries, which can very easily be answered with 2 mins of introspection or google searching, people are sort of pushing out the genuine queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dkhanna wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi dkhanna,

Hope that helps!

Hey bud. No, I was referring to this thread itself. If you notice, some profiles are clearly good applicants but are still seeking some form external validation of their profiles. That leads to cluttering up of the thread and is a hindrance for people who genuinely seek advice and guidance. e.g. if someone has a 670 GMAT and 4 years work ex, it is actually a point of consideration and discussion as to whether they might stand a shot at the school. If someone is telling me I have 4 years work ex and 760 on my GMAT and 3.9 GPA in my undergrad, do I stand a chance, my honest response would be, are you really that dumb that you can't figure this one out on your own. Apologies for the bluntness, but I feel that this forum has been a great help to me and I wish to see the same for others as well; and with inane queries, which can very easily be answered with 2 mins of introspection or google searching, people are sort of pushing out the genuine queries.

If you look at last year's gmatclub stats there are more than a few candidates (especially Indians) with 720+ scores and good GPAs that were denied admission. Some even without an interview. Yes, people do seek validation. I did too at one point, but there are often opinions/suggestions provided my experts/alumni that applicants might have previously overlooked.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
talz94 wrote:
Hi, I am a Pakistani female, age 25

GMAT: 760 Q 48, V 47 AWA 5.5
GPA:3.8 Economics & Mathematics - appearing for CFA level 1
Exp: 3 years working for one of the largest conglomerates in the country in Strategy & Business growth, have worked on merger deals, greenfield investment analysis, capital budgeting, turnaround projects.

Internship at leading global FMCG.

ECA:
Started a not-for-profit tech startup benefiting 5000 people to date with a team of 60 people - currently Vice President of the startup. 5+ years of public speaking in national circuit.

Your profile should be the top range of Rotman's class profile. If you get admission, negotiate for a solid scholarship
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Background and nationality - Indian male candidate

Undergrad - B. Com with 57.5% (63.5% in the final year)

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Work experience and leadership -
Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
1. Participated in multiple CSR events during PG
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.
3. Active member of Blue Cross
4. Fitness enthusiast and I do work as a fitness instructor

Recommendations - I am sure I can get pretty strong recommendations

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

Thanks for the help! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
aroy10 wrote:

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

You will definitely add to the diversity of the class. Another plus is the fact that you are going to stay in the impact investment. Schools tend to like such candidates who are not looking for a major switch. The only problem seems to be your undergrad GPA. Since Rotman admits a limited number of such candidates, you will be competing with those whose GPA is less than 3. You can ask your recommender to vouch your academic abilities. How was the reputation/selectivity of your schools? A good GPA in the PGDM can also help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
vivek6199 wrote:
aroy10 wrote:

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Community and others -

Post MBA goals -

You will definitely add to the diversity of the class. Another plus is the fact that you are going to stay in the impact investment. Schools tend to like such candidates who are not looking for a major switch. The only problem seems to be your undergrad GPA. Since Rotman admits a limited number of such candidates, you will be competing with those whose GPA is less than 3. You can ask your recommender to vouch your academic abilities. How was the reputation/selectivity of your schools? A good GPA in the PGDM can also help.

Hi!

Thanks for the eval.

My GPA in PG was nothing spectacular either. Only 62.xx% :|

There's a thing about Rotman that I am confused about though, and I didn't really get a clear answer from their AdCom. The website first says that they'll consider the final year score of undergrad. But when you start looking at country specific scores, it says you need a first-class if you're an Indian. Now the question is, are they considering the third year score only for those who have done UG in Canada or does it apply for everybody? If it's the latter, my certificate will mention my overall "class" and not only the third year "class". I have a second-class overall but a first-class in the final year!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hi All,

I am Indian Female Candidate .

Please find below a snapshot of my profile

My School and College Percentiles.

10th 93.3 percentile
12th-80 percentile

I did my schooling from Bahrain

Btech in Computer Science CGPA 4

GMAT

Quantitative - 49 -75 percentile
Verbal-35- 76 percentile
AWA-5/6
IR-2/8

Overall Gmat score-690

Engineering graduate from Cochin University( CUSAT) specialised in Computer Science.
Total of 4 years of work experience in Quality analysis in Banking and Finance domain for TCS

Areas of expertise

Domain Expertise: Banking and Finance

Client Servicing
Service Delivery
Stake Holder Management
Vendor Management
Reporting and Analytics
Quality Analysis

*Client Servicing – Understanding client requirement and ensuring service delivery achieves high client satisfaction

*Service Delivery - Managed a team of 5 member in developing automation testing framework which helped the client with USD $143Million savings by reduction of manual efforts and optimized management
*Team Management –Leading a team of five members in Quality Management service and appreciated by the senior management as Most valuable team on evaluation based on project contribution and client appreciation.
*Risk Management - Identify and priorities issues, risks and challenges and escalate to appropriate team members, including management to ensure risk management protocols are aligned and exe
*Reporting -Analysis and Documentation of , Preparation of Daily Status Report ,SIT report to the concerned teams
*Stakeholder Management - Manage multiple stakeholder such as internal team, client and senior management

*Technical Skills
Client servicing
Software Testing:
Automation testing using UFT & Selenium – Cucumber
Web services testing
Soap UI
User Acceptance Testing
Business Analysis

Activities and Hobbies

Dancing,ToastMasters, CSR activities at corporate, Volunteering, NGOs

Achievements

Was Awarded the “Star of the Month Award” for contributions and efficient testing and analytical skills at the project level
Received the” Branch Excellence Award FY ‘16 “ for the efficient execution of project at TCS
Received the “The Best Executed project” from client

Languages
Taken up Certification in French Language

WHat are the weak areas to work on? Is working in develpemnt sector a huge plus for Canadian universities?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
Hi all!

I'd like to kindly request you for your review of my profile.

Background:
Male from the Philippines
Age 25
GMAT 700
GPA: 3.19

Education:
Bachelor of Science in Management from a Top 3 School in the Philippines. Was in an honors course which comprises of the top 15% of all students in the university.

Work Experience: Worked 3.5 Years (4 by matriculation)

1st Job - Large International Bank based in London and Singapore
Started out as a graduate trainee in the bank for a 1.5 year program including a 3 month stint abroad doing projects. Left the bank as a project manager handling all project management and governance and control functions for a unit of the bank.

2nd Job - Top 15 Local Bank in the Philippines
Was recruited to help start the Investment Banking (focused on Capital Markets) business of said bank. Part of a 2 man team which grew the office from start-up to becoming a top-10 player in the industry also increasing revenues by 400% y-o-y. Currently Officer in Charge of the division since the retirement of previous boss handling all aspects of the unit from business (originating and executing Capital Markets transactions) to administrative work (Person in charge of the unit for compliance, risk, audit, and other non-business functions.

Recommendations: Can get recommendations from my former boss (currently CFO in a top 10 bank in the Philippines) and the current CEO of my current workplace.

Extra curricular - Avid traveler. Play a lot of sports (Tennis, Muay Thai, Football etc.), and played some competitively. Consulted for a large local NGO as part of previous internship experience and some volunteering efforts.

Post MBA - Continue working in Investment Banking in M&A or Capital Markets in a large foreign institution. Plan B would be to go into Management Consulting (have previous experience in the field from internships). Long term goal would be to return to the Philippines and join a local bank or set up my own shop in Financial Advisory/M&A.

Thanks all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi People,

Help review my profile.

Background: Male, Nigerian, 26 years

Undergrad: 3.28 B-tech Accounting

Professional Qualifications: CFA Charterholder, Chartered Accountant (Local)

GMAT: None, intend to use my CFA charter instead of GMAT. (thinking of writing GMAT before the end of the year for applications to other business schools)

Work Experience: 4 years (all in Nigeria) as detailed below:

1. Compliance officer, an Agro-allied Company - 7 Months
2. Fixed Income Analyst, a Boutique Investment Bank - 5 Months
3. Corporate Finance Associate, Big 4 - 2 years, 7 months
4. Corporate Finance Senior Associate, An Infrastructure Finance Company - Current

Other Information: Several volunteering activities, and currently an investment officer of an Investment Club (set up by four of us)

Post MBA Goals: Private Equity/Impact Investing or Investment Management, in Canada or US

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
HI Guys

This is Aswad from India. Completed my Undergraduation in Btech - Biotechnology with a GPA of 3.5( India - Non IIT ) . Hold a Masters Degree in Food Processing from University of Reading in United Kingdom. GMAT - 660

Work Experience -
Worked for Kraft foods, McDonalds & Mccambridge Foods in UK ( Quality Assurance Technologist Role ) from 2008 - 2011.
Worked in the biggest dairy company in Saudi Arabia - Almarai (Senior Quality Assurance Technologist) in 2012.
Worked for Starbucks in Dubai as a Quality Asurance Manager managing three regions in the GCC namely UAE , Bahrain & KSA from 2013- 2015 and a Regional Quality Assurance Manager for General Mills in Dubai handling 8 regions in the middle east namely UAE , Qatar , KSA , Kuwait , Lebanon , Jordan , Turkey etc.

Wish to Pursue an MBA to leverage on my technical Skills about food processing and invest the knowledge gained in Food Marketing Roles. So basically i want to shift from a food technical field to Marketing in a food business. I really believe the way forward for effective marketing is techno commercial marketing since people are very cautious not only about safe food but also healthy food. Technical marketing is the way to go for a food business to sustain in the coming years!

I would be glad if the team comments on my eligibility for an MBA in Rotman.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi experts,

Please evaluate my profile.

My profile:

GMAT: 760 (QA50/VA42/IR8/AWA6)

Academic Profile:
B.E. Mechanical Engineering from a top Indian private university (GPA: 8.51/10, translates to 3.4/4) - 2009
PGDM from an Indian Institute of Management (GPA: 9.21/10, translates to 3.7/4, Gold medalist - Institute rank 2) - 2012

Work Experience:
Currently working as a Assistant Manager (Strategy & Ops Consulting) at a Big 4.

Overall work ex:
Post Masters
2.5 years in Strategy Consulting (2 promotions)
~3 years in Banking (1 promotion; last designation: Senior Manager, Corporate Finance)
Pre Masters
~1 year as Manager in Pharma company (plant)

Extra curricular:
Won awards at several Inter university level singing competitions

International experience:
Substantial experience of working in UAE and Hong Kong as a Strategy Consultant

Post MBA ambitions: Continue with Strategy consulting at a top-tier firm

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
GS1607 wrote:
Hi experts,

Please evaluate my profile.

My profile:

GMAT: 760 (QA50/VA42/IR8/AWA6)

Academic Profile:
B.E. Mechanical Engineering from a top Indian private university (GPA: 8.51/10, translates to 3.4/4) - 2009
PGDM from an Indian Institute of Management (GPA: 9.21/10, translates to 3.7/4, Gold medalist - Institute rank 2) - 2012

Work Experience:
Currently working as a Assistant Manager (Strategy & Ops Consulting) at a Big 4.

Overall work ex:
Post Masters
2.5 years in Strategy Consulting (2 promotions)
~3 years in Banking (1 promotion; last designation: Senior Manager, Corporate Finance)
Pre Masters
~1 year as Manager in Pharma company (plant)

Extra curricular:
Won awards at several Inter university level singing competitions

International experience:
Substantial experience of working in UAE and Hong Kong as a Strategy Consultant

Post MBA ambitions: Continue with Strategy consulting at a top-tier firm

Thanks in advance!

What's making you feel insecure about your profile for the Rotman MBA program?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30   
Moderator:
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
72 posts