Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:28 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:28
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 574
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Re: Round 1 Deferred [#permalink]
@
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Usually they defer in case some aspect of the app reached them after the R1 deadline.

That's interesting. I submitted my GMAT score report ~2 days before the deadline and just noticed that the website says reports may take up to 7 days to arrive (I assumed they were submitted immediately electronically...face palm). Do you think they may have pushed my application for this reason?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I had all my paperwork submitted early. Any other reasons for deferral?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
dwenzeo07 wrote:

same here. The email from Eileen also asks that the applicant refrain from sending any follow-up materials in the meantime.

Anyone know how likely it is that FCs will be extended an interview in R2 (or does that really depend on the strength of the R2 applicant pool)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheetahsirun wrote:
dwenzeo07 wrote:

same here. The email from Eileen also asks that the applicant refrain from sending any follow-up materials in the meantime.

Anyone know how likely it is that FCs will be extended an interview in R2 (or does that really depend on the strength of the R2 applicant pool)?

Same question here. Also, do you think they would consider a higher GMAT score?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Hi All,

I was admitted to HBS in Round 2 after being placed under further consideration in Round 1, so I know ALL the emotions that are going through your guys' heads right now. :sad:

What happened?

When you are deferred (or placed under "further consideration") it means that you have been bumped from Round 1 to Round 2. It's not because you were missing any paperwork; it's just because Round 1 is shark round and they don't know if they're going to want to extend you an interview until they can see what the applicant pool looks like in Round 2.

Why are you here?

Your stats are "good enough" to get into HBS. The problem is that your application materials did not paint a compelling and authentic personal narrative to the admissions committee. You were accomplished, but they just didn't believe that the difference that you wanted to make in the world was an important one, or that you were the one to do it. Simply put, you didn't close the deal and the proof is in your essay.

What do I do now?

For all intents and purposes, you should consider yourself to be on the HBS waitlist and need to fight your way off of it. While you're waiting in limbo, all the Round 2 applicants are using these extra three months to rack up accomplishments and paint a better story of who they are. You need to use this time to fix your narrative, get some quick wins at work, and effectively communicate this to the admissions committee. You can see what process we recommend for waitlisted applicants here and here.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
NateFromHBS wrote:
Hi All,

I was admitted to HBS in Round 2 after being placed under further consideration in Round 1, so I know ALL the emotions that are going through your guys' heads right now. :sad:

What happened?

When you are deferred (or placed under "further consideration") it means that you have been bumped from Round 1 to Round 2. It's not because you were missing any paperwork; it's just because Round 1 is shark round and they don't know if they're going to want to extend you an interview until they can see what the applicant pool looks like in Round 2.

Why are you here?

Your stats are "good enough" to get into HBS. The problem is that your application materials did not paint a compelling and authentic personal narrative to the admissions committee. You were accomplished, but they just didn't believe that the difference that you wanted to make in the world was an important one, or that you were the one to do it. Simply put, you didn't close the deal and the proof is in your essay.

What do I do now?

For all intents and purposes, you should consider yourself to be on the HBS waitlist and need to fight your way off of it. While you're waiting in limbo, all the Round 2 applicants are using these extra three months to rack up accomplishments and paint a better story of who they are. You need to use this time to fix your narrative, get some quick wins at work, and effectively communicate this to the admissions committee. You can see what process we recommend for waitlisted applicants here and here.

Very helpful - thanks so much Nate!

One question I still have is how to reconcile communicating narrative 'fixes' to the adcom and Eileen's ask to not send additional materials. Do you have any insights / suggestions on if sending updates to the adcom may be viewed negatively?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
cheetahsirun wrote:
NateFromHBS wrote:
Hi All,

What happened?

Why are you here?

What do I do now?

One question I still have is how to reconcile communicating narrative 'fixes' to the adcom and Eileen's ask to not send additional materials. Do you have any insights / suggestions on if sending updates to the adcom may be viewed negatively?

I'll send you a PM. In short, there are a number of things you can do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
NateFromHBS wrote:
cheetahsirun wrote:
NateFromHBS wrote:
Hi All,

What happened?

Why are you here?

What do I do now?

I'll send you a PM. In short, there are a number of things you can do.

Nate - I have the same question about how to reach out given the instructions not to do so. Would love to get your perspective if you don't mind.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73337 [0]
Given Kudos: 19004
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived HBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our HBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated HBS Forum for all fresh things related to the HBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts