Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 18:21 It is currently 02 May 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3814 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [1]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Bombed quant after a good trajectory, 680 Q38 V44, need advice. [#permalink]
Thanks for the info everyone. Fun fact, I like to warm up a bit by answering a few practice questions untimed as I start with quant and want my brain to be on already. While doing so I definitely multiplied 7 by 4 and got 35... so maybe it just wasn't my day for accuracy :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Bombed quant after a good trajectory, 680 Q38 V44, need advice. [#permalink]
Hey NycEngineer,

Congrats on the great verbal score - and overall score, too. I experienced a similar problem when I last took the GMAT. I had been scoring in the high-40s and ended up with a Q36 on the test (I scored a 47Q on my first try). I ordered the ESR and I don't think I started off very well, resulting in lower difficulty questions. My test was scheduled for 8:00AM and I don't think I was fully awake when I started the Q section. It sounds like you got a slow start- was your test early in the morning as well?

The GMAT Club tests are pretty tricky and do a good job solidifying your fundamentals. Maybe do a few of those before the retake.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
Send PM
Kudos
imo real GMAT/OG/GMAC practice questions are really different than unofficial practice b/c they are hard in an elegant way, and a lot of 3rd party practice problems are had b/c they take lots of time/computation.

so i tried stick to official questions for 1-2 weeks preceding the test to get used to that. maybe u did something diff't and were still in the 'hurry up' mode u need for things like manhattan etc tests??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just went again this weekend, 730 Q42 V48. Not as good as it could be but I think I'm going to stick with this not sure I can go through it again :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
NycEngineer wrote:
Just went again this weekend, 730 Q42 V48. Not as good as it could be but I think I'm going to stick with this not sure I can go through it again :/

Congratulations on the amazing score. V48??!! You are a living Verbal book! And here we are - lesser mortals struggling to reach even V40.

We must have a lot to learn from you. Mind sharing some tips on the individual Verbal sections?

Best regards

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Send PM
Bombed quant after a good trajectory, 680 Q38 V44, need advice. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Yeah, I'll admit I don't really know how I do it, but here are my thoughts...

In terms of material, I went through the MPrep course, and after that did primarily OG and the special OG verbal book.
For time management, I find that some questions are incredibly easy and I can do in ~20 seconds. Most questions I do in ~1 minute. I plan on about 1.5 minutes to read any passage (mprep suggests 2-3, I am a fast reader, to improve at this read the NYTimes and WSJ every day). This leaves me the ability to spend even 3-5 minutes on really tough CR questions. I finished this most recent test 12 minutes early as well.

I was doing mprep tests in the beginning but switched to official practice only. My official practice scores were all about 44-46, 48 is the highest I'd ever seen.

It's my impression that to get a score this high you have to get almost every question correct. On my last practice I answered only 5 incorrect and got a 45 or 46.

In terms of strategy. For SC, make sure you know the basics of parallelism, ", which" structure and comparisons (i.e. don't compare a review of books to books themselves), both X and Y, neither X nor Y, "that" structure, complete clause after ";", -ing clause must immediate precede what its modifying, "being" is always wrong. Don't waste time learning the fancy names for them, I literally have no idea what a participle is. Just learn how the language should flow.

First step, quick glance at the first split to get they lay of the land. Next, slowly read and figure out what the sentence should mean. Attempt to apply the rules above while maintaining some kind of real meaning. Many answers will be wrong for some complex grammatical reason but really just don't mean anything the way they are written.

Most difficult sentence correction questions are just variations on this theme with large quantities of information. Learn how to focus on the phrases in the sentence that matter and ignore the rest. I put some idioms to heart but it is so rare to see them repeated that I'm not sure it's worth it. Then when all else fails, I listen to my ear if I have to.

For CR/RC, most important is to know exactly what the conclusion is. Boil it down to "because of X, Y will happen" With CR I try to picture the people/scenario in my mind very visually and then go over each question option and imagine it playing out, and I figure out if the result answers the question. Most CR answers are easily ruled out for either:
1. Doing the opposite (make the point stronger not weaker)
2. Being irrelevant
3. (Harder) affecting part of the argument, but not the right part, FOCUS on the the conclusion and do not be distracted.
4. (Harder) being to big a claim. Words like "always", "in general" "most" are red flags. The result should be very focused.
Get rid of these options quickly and then really think through the rest.

For RC, read the passage like you will have to summarize it for a friend later. This will help you get the broad strokes in. For any specific question, use your SC skills of reading only what matters to quickly distill the ideas relevant to the question. Then use your CR skills to find the answer hiding out there.

Verbal to me is much easier than quant (even though I'm an engineer, weird). The answer is RIGHT THERE staring at you. You don't have to do any long division to get to it. They will try and trick you, just know the tricks they use and don't be fooled.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72979 [0]
Given Kudos: 18904
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats on improving 50 points! That was great!!!
V48 is a killer score!

P.S. Some schools may be surprised by your Q42 since you are an engineer. Some look for a higher percentile ranking in Quant. I usually consider Q45 to be a safe start for the top 20. Just FYI, so it is not a surprise down the road - you may want to consult with an admissions consultant about your particular schools/profile. Thought you may as well research it now rather than scramble later.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 970 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Congratulations for the great improvement in the score NycEngineer - 50 Points Jump is commendable! :-)

Also, thanks a ton for some great tips on verbal, you have put it in very simple form and easy to understand. Hope we all can learn something and apply that in our preparation.

This point you mentioned on RC was an eye-opener: For RC, read the passage like you will have to summarize it for a friend later. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Best piece of advice and would love to try this as well during my preparation.

One request - I know you have covered some bit of time management, it would great if you can provide some more depth on the time management strategy specifically for the verbal section. My accuracy is improved, but what I need to work on is time management.

Thank you for the post and all the best for the applications. :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37348 posts