Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 15:07 It is currently 04 May 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Stern Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
Is there any chat session planned in the next couple of weeks/days with current alum?
Send PM
Unbroken wrote:
Is there any chat session planned in the next couple of weeks/days with current alum?

Hi bro, We are in the middle of arranging one. As soon as one is confirmed we will update on the forum. Stay tuned!!

P.S. If you know someone who might be interested in carrying out a session then please feel free to drop me a PM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Are the chances of being accepted less when you apply at round 3 and 4 than when you apply at earlier rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
alexch91 wrote:
Are the chances of being accepted less when you apply at round 3 and 4 than when you apply at earlier rounds?

Of course! They are not only less, they are SIGNIFICANTLY Less! This is because of two reasons: one, there are more number of applications in R2/R3; two, most of the class is already selected by R1/R2, so, you are evaluated against the already selected class as well (that's because the Adcoms look for a more diverse class). The fact is that the earlier you apply, the better it is.

Also, think from the admissions perspective: you have a to assemble a class and you got 4 rounds to fill the seats. Will you wait for last two rounds to fill the seats?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
You are right in that the bulk of the class is formed from the beginning.

Maybe they reserve some seats for round 3 and round 4 applicants who are top-tier students and did not make those r1 and r2 deadlines

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
wannabemba28 wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
What is the best time to apply here? The month I mean

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Try to apply by the 2nd deadline which is usually in early Jan. I spoke to the adcom members last year and they said that for international students who apply in R1 and get invited to interview, their interviews are usually conducted in-person by the adcom members who are visiting those countries on admissions events. For R2 and R3 however, the interviews will only take place at the campus as Stern is against online or Skype interviews. So consider that aspect as well while deciding on the optimal time to apply.

I might have but I have scheduled my GMAT for late October. From the research I have done, Stern does not have any admission even in Pakistan anyway. Now that you mention that Stern is against online or Skype interviews, it's got me worried. I don't have enough to money to NY for an interview.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?
Director
Director
Send PM
DigitsnLetters wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
The essays are really interesting !!

Yes, NYU Stern essays are fun and so is the EQ recommendation! Your EQ recommender will have a fun time writing your essay. My recommender had a great time and he later told me that he wrote about a time that made me emotionally very strong. :-)

I am still working on shortlisting who to request for the EQ recommendations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HinaTabassum wrote:
wannabemba28 wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
What is the best time to apply here? The month I mean

Try to apply by the 2nd deadline which is usually in early Jan. I spoke to the adcom members last year and they said that for international students who apply in R1 and get invited to interview, their interviews are usually conducted in-person by the adcom members who are visiting those countries on admissions events. For R2 and R3 however, the interviews will only take place at the campus as Stern is against online or Skype interviews. So consider that aspect as well while deciding on the optimal time to apply.

I might have but I have scheduled my GMAT for late October. From the research I have done, Stern does not have any admission even in Pakistan anyway. Now that you mention that Stern is against online or Skype interviews, it's got me worried. I don't have enough to money to NY for an interview.

Stern has a very stern policy ;) No virtual interviews! You will be interviewed by an Adcom AND in person. I reiterate, Stern does not extend online interviews. The only options you have is: i) you travel to US and interview on campus, ii) you wait for the Adcom members to travel to your country (or the nearest off campus interview venue) and interview with them (usually the Adcoms travel in Feb/March). I can confirm this coz I interviewed with an Adcom in Mumbai, India when the Adcom visited the country for the interview. All those who were invited for interview in R1, but chose not to travel to US got the option to interview in R2 in March. Hope that resolves your query.

BTW, may I ask why are you retaking the GMAT when you already have a 770? :think:
Director
Director
Send PM
DigitsnLetters wrote:
HinaTabassum wrote:
wannabemba28 wrote:

Stern has a very stern policy ;) No virtual interviews! You will be interviewed by an Adcom AND in person. I reiterate, Stern does not extend online interviews. The only options you have is: i) you travel to US and interview on campus, ii) you wait for the Adcom members to travel to your country (or the nearest off campus interview venue) and interview with them (usually the Adcoms travel in Feb/March). I can confirm this coz I interviewed with an Adcom in Mumbai, India when the Adcom visited the country for the interview. All those who were invited for interview in R1, but chose not to travel to US got the option to interview in R2 in March. Hope that resolves your query.

BTW, may I ask why are you retaking the GMAT when you already have a 770? :think:

That is worrisome, really. I think I'll write to Stern and sort it out before I actually submit my application.

As for the GMAT, I am not retaking it. I'll be sitting it for the first time.
The 770 is mock test score. I had to add it to my profile to add B schools on the profile. I didn't want to do it but that was the only way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HinaTabassum wrote:
That is worrisome, really. I think I'll write to Stern and sort it out before I actually submit my application.

Check out the Stern FAQ regarding the interviews. Here's the link

HinaTabassum wrote:
The 770 is mock test score. I had to add it to my profile to add B schools on the profile. I didn't want to do it but that was the only way.

I don't think it's obligatory to mention your score to add schools. (Narenn will you please have a look at this issue? It should be optional, right?) BTW Hina, that's a very good mock score. All the best for your GMAT :thumbup:
Director
Director
Send PM
DigitsnLetters wrote:
HinaTabassum wrote:

Check out the Stern FAQ regarding the interviews. Here's the link

HinaTabassum wrote:

I don't think it's obligatory to mention your score to add schools. (Narenn will you please have a look at this issue? It should be optional, right?) BTW Hina, that's a very good mock score. All the best for your GMAT :thumbup:

Thank you DigitsnLetters (What's your name?)

Actually it was Narenn who suggested I do this instead.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hey DigitsnLetters

I checked the page and it says off-site interviews available in India, China and the UK.

For a Pakistani, an Indian is very difficult to get. China, I will have to look into but the UK is going to be very expensive. Way more expensive than going to the US. And I am not even rich.

I am worried now. Very much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HinaTabassum wrote:

Bond! James Bond! :cool: Lol :-D :grin: :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
DigitsnLetters wrote:
HinaTabassum wrote:

Bond! James Bond! :cool: Lol :-D :grin: :lol:

Nice :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HinaTabassum wrote:
Hey DigitsnLetters

I checked the page and it says off-site interviews available in India, China and the UK.

For a Pakistani, an Indian is very difficult to get. China, I will have to look into but the UK is going to be very expensive. Way more expensive than going to the US. And I am not even rich.

I understand your apprehension. This is a big concern that the international candidates face while applying to NYU Stern. On the flip side of it and from the schools perspective, I feel this is one area where Stern does miss out on potentially great candidates just because of it's interview policy.

Yes, India, China, and UK are consistent venues. I met a person who flew from Singapore to interview in India. If you would have noticed, the page mentions March for visiting these off-campus locations. So, you have ample time to do your research and decide the best option for you. Moreover, getting an Indian/Chinese visa wouldn't be much of a problem if you justify the short stay for interview (if you get the interview invite and choose to interview in an off-campus location, you can arrange a letter from the school stating that you would be interviewed in India/China/UK. This might help you get the visa relatively easily. Just a plausible option IMO).
Director
Director
Send PM
DigitsnLetters wrote:
HinaTabassum wrote:
Hey DigitsnLetters

I understand your apprehension. This is a big concern that the international candidates face while applying to NYU Stern. On the flip side of it and from the schools perspective, I feel this is one area where Stern does miss out on potentially great candidates just because of it's interview policy.

Yes, India, China, and UK are consistent venues. I met a person who flew from Singapore to interview in India. If you would have noticed, the page mentions March for visiting these off-campus locations. So, you have ample time to do your research and decide the best option for you. Moreover, getting an Indian/Chinese visa wouldn't be much of a problem if you justify the short stay for interview (if you get the interview invite and choose to interview in an off-campus location, you can arrange a letter from the school stating that you would be interviewed in India/China/UK. This might help you get the visa relatively easily. Just a plausible option IMO).

I guess I have a lot of researching ahead of me.

In fact I was just going through the locations of the people who have added Stern '21 in their schools, and I was the only Pakistani on the list!

On the same note, as you mentioned that you're part of class of '20, is there by any chance a Pakistani in your class who might be able to help me figure all this out?
Send PM
Following are the thoughts of a Stern Student who was a part of Spring 2018 Stern Solutions team that worked to define and present a new employer branding strategy to attract and retain the best, most diverse talent for BlackRock.

In addition to thinking through a real problem facing both BlackRock and the wider industry, we had the opportunity to work with an external design firm, focus on tangible client deliverables, and improve our research, analysis, and presentation skills. The timely feedback from Professor Gormley and senior executives at BlackRock was invaluable as our team revised and presented our ideas and solutions. This is as close as it gets to a real-world project, and it was a fantastic experience for our team.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
hey DigitsnLetters

Will applying in round 1 and interviewing later during round 2 in India hurt our chances of admission?
As this interview would most likely be treated as round 2 interview.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts