Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [26]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Enacted on March 11, 1941, the Lend-Lease Act authorized [#permalink]
Why not B??
With the mentioned line in the last paragraph we can infer that it was controversial.
"The congressional fear of increased presidential power may have come to fruition; while Congress declined to authorize the Lend-Lease products as gifts, maintaining that Britain would indeed need to pay for them"-
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
swati793 wrote:
Why not B??
With the mentioned line in the last paragraph we can infer that it was controversial.
"The congressional fear of increased presidential power may have come to fruition; while Congress declined to authorize the Lend-Lease products as gifts, maintaining that Britain would indeed need to pay for them"-

Hi, B is not a correct answer for the Q3 because point B states that the passage of the Act was controversial.
If we read the statement prior to the ones mentioned above, it states that the legacy remained in post-war math and it was the post-war math which was controversial.

While the Lend-Lease Act formally ended late in 1945, its legacy lived on in the post-war aftermath and beyond.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Enacted on March 11, 1941, the Lend-Lease Act authorized [#permalink]
4:30
2/3.
Got first one wrong. Marked A instead of D. Can someone explain this? When the passage clearly states that "it was an important turning point in a war that at the time was heavily controlled by the Germans". This means the Germans would have kept control if the Americans hadnt provided them with the supplies.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
4mins 38 sec got 2 out of 3. Got the second one wrong.

Mick1005, in Q1: The option A states that Germans would have had control of WWII well into 1942. Whereas the act was passed in Mar 1941, which means a number of other things could have happened in that time period which can still make option A invalid. ( for ex. a new act launched after lend and lease did not go thru and then Germans defeated by that one, or the germans implode and lose the war on their own)

whereas D: "American industry would have been unprepared to support the American war effort." Is directly mentioned in the second passage in what historians believe.

Hence D is the stronger candidate and the OA.

Best,
Gladi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I'd like to challenge the OA provided for question 1. OA provide (D) states "American industry would have been unprepared to support the American war effort." In the passage, it says "The act, they explain, was the only way that the American wartime industry would have been prepared to supply its own military effort when the U.S. entered the war later that year."

Two things that I believe justify the OA to be incorrect:

1) American wartime industry is not the same as American industry. How can we make the assumption that we are referring only to the wartime industry?
2) Supply and support have two different meanings. Supply is more along the lines of providing equipment/weapon, while support is a moral backing of the cause. The two are not the same

I believe B would be a better answer. B states "The United States would have had no financial interest in Allied success in World War II." The statement in the passage that directly reflects this answer says "more as a commitment to ultimately join the war, noting that it tied American finances directly to Allied success against Germany"

I would love to know where my thinking went wrong.. If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja, workout, GMATNinjaTwo, u1983, SajjadAhmad, Gnpth
Please explain Q3
Confused between B and C.

"isolationist opponents of the act saw it less...Most historians tend to agree, but view it positively.."
I choose B because of this.
Why is C right?

"the Lend-Lease Act served as a catalyst for American industry to produce military supplies." Even without the lend-lease act American industry would produce military supplies. The act only helped the American wartime industry to prepare.

I am confused a bit. Please explain B and C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
mallya12 wrote:
GMATNinja, workout, GMATNinjaTwo, u1983, SajjadAhmad, Gnpth
Please explain Q3
Confused between B and C.

"isolationist opponents of the act saw it less...Most historians tend to agree, but view it positively.."
I choose B because of this.
Why is C right?

"the Lend-Lease Act served as a catalyst for American industry to produce military supplies." Even without the lend-lease act American industry would produce military supplies. The act only helped the American wartime industry to prepare.

I am confused a bit. Please explain B and C.

I think a point to eliminate 'Option B' is that the passage(itself) is not controversial, but the lend-lease Act.

Hope it Helps

Thanks = Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Answer from Veritas:

Question 1
D. Paragraph two cites historians as saying the only way that American industry was able to support its war production efforts was that it passe the Lend-Lease act. Therefore, without the Act, industry would have been unable to support it.

Choices A and B are popular incorrect answers. While the Act is a turning point away from German control, it cannot be determined that German control would have lasted as long as choice A says it did. And Choice B also goes too far - "no financial interest" is a strong statement; the passage says that the act tied American financial interests directly to British fortunes in the war, but it doesn't say that there weren't other, perhaps less direct financial ties.

Question 2
D. The author's tone in this passage is explanatory, and he begins with the passage of the Act and ends with the final stage of its history, so it can certainly be inferred that his purpose is to provide an overview of it's history. Choices A and E can be eliminated in large part because of tone, as the author doesn't take a hard stand on the Act at all. And choice C, a popular trap, is also incorrect, as the pros and cons of the Act are only mentioned in paragraph two - the legacy covered in paragraph three goes to show that the author is doing more than just discussing the arguments on either side.

Question 3
C. The second paragraph notes that historians believe the Lend Lease Act was "the only way that the American wartime industry would have been prepared to supply its own military...", essentially stating that the Lend-Lease Act led to military production. Choice A is incorrect as nowhere in the passage is Britain credited with the WWII win. Choice B is incorrect as the passage does not directly provide information that the act was controversial. The act had opponents, but we cannot infer that there was any true controversy around the act. Choice D is incorrect, as historians only state that production in late 1941 would have been impossible without the act; the choice goes too far in saying that the entire war would have been impossible to win. And choice E also goes too far; all we know is that the final payment was made in 2006, not that it was because Britain couldn't afford to pay it.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32924 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nityakaul02 wrote:
difficulty 600 or 650 ?

Question #1: 650
Question #2: 600
Question #3: 650

Overall: 650
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts