Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 21:12 It is currently 08 May 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35533 [14]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35533 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [2]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Re: Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO the correct answer is C

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

Analysis of the sentence:

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, - This is a modifier phrase modifying the next following IC.
the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - the plummeting attendance figures - Subject of the sentence - Plural subject should take the plural verb; "at local races" - Prepositional phrase;"fell" - Plural verb- correct usage; "so low..." - the usage of so low is redundant as "plummeting" itself denoting a sharp decline figure. -
Hence original option is incorrect.

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - Incorrect

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway - Incorrect

C) forced the owner to close the speedway - Correct

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway - Incorrect

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low - Meaning error; - "the plummeting attendance figures" are not closing the speedway. - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at [#permalink]
Kudos
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - redundancy

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway - redundancy

C) forced the owner to close the speedway - correct answer, clear meaning, correct structure

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway - redundancy

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low - changed meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 155: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway

I don't think there's a redundancy issue here, and everything else looks fine as well, therefore keep it.

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway

The GMAT prefers "Fell so low that" over other constructions

C) forced the owner to close the speedway

I think there's a subtle meaning change here, and prefer (A).

The way I see it, and I would love a veteran to chime in: It was not the plummeting figures that caused the owner to close shop, it was that they fell to such a low level (They could have plummeted from a super high number but been sufficient to keep the business running)

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway

Unnecessary verb tense

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low

The plummeting figures didn't close the freeway.. Big meaning change
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos

Quote:

Redundant. Fell low and plummeting.

Quote:

Quote:

No redundancy here. Correct

Quote:

Quote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
Two things here:
1. Sequence of events: plummeting attendance fell so low....then the closing of race course
2. Contrast: Despite...., plummeting...closing

Now, both the events, plummeting and closing, are in simple past but earlier event, falling low, should be in past perfect followed by closing in simple past.
Since none of the options has this construction, it is better to look for an option that delivers a crisp and clear meaning without any error.
C is the only option that conveys the author’s intent and is the winner.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 155: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Hello, I know I have not attempted this question during the 24 hour window but I will mention my approach anyway.
At first read there seems to be no issue in the sentence so you should just move on to answer choices.
Between A and B, "so low" vs "low enough" is not necessarily a breaking point as per me. Both should be okay so let's just move forward.
After reading option C, you should ask yourself: do you really need the phrase fell so low or whatever it is? The moment you ask this you should go to the word plummeting and realise you don't need this phrase at all.
Eliminate A B D.
Between C and E, C is more concise. E also commits the mistake of "they".
Hence C.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35533 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:

Hello, I know I have not attempted this question during the 24 hour window but I will mention my approach anyway.
At first read there seems to be no issue in the sentence so you should just move on to answer choices.
Between A and B, "so low" vs "low enough" is not necessarily a breaking point as per me. Both should be okay so let's just move forward.
After reading option C, you should ask yourself: do you really need the phrase fell so low or whatever it is? The moment you ask this you should go to the word plummeting and realise you don't need this phrase at all.
Eliminate A B D.
Between C and E, C is more concise. E also commits the mistake of "they".
Hence C.

TheNightKing , maybe I confused people.

I welcome posts at any time!

The 24-hour mark (when the OA is revealed) is simply the cutoff for absolute eligibility for kudos.

It is still possible to get kudos after that; such kudos depend on many factors.

I hope people do keep posting answers if they feel inclined to do so.
(Not non-explanatory answers.)
Posting answers is one of the best ways to learn, and others may benefit from different strategies and phrasing.

I did not articulate what you wrote in the highlighted part, although I thought about its content as I was writing.
What you wrote is spot on.

In addition, when you could not decide quickly whether A and B were correct, you moved on.
I use this strategy. It works for many people. It is very efficient.
And a subsequent answer choice may suggest why other answers might be or are wrong, just as C did in this question.

P.S. Option E suggests that the plummeting rates rather than the owner closed the roadway.
In a roundabout way, that connection is true. But (C) is better: a person closes down the business.
Option E is redundant, too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
generis GMATNinja daagh

I want to share my doubt on the redundancy point of option (A) and how there appears to be a big difference in meaning between (A) and (B).

Quote:
(A) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

(B) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races forced the owner to close the speedway.

Isn't there a subtle yet important difference in meaning between the two ?

(A) ->The track was closed because the plummeting figures crossed a certain threshold and not just because of falling attendance figures alone.

(B) -> The track was closed because the figures started plummeting.

I understand that 'plummeting' means a big dip, still option (A) adds a trigger point (for closing the racing circuit) in addition to plummeting figures.

Based on this reasoning, I chose (A). (It makes more sense to convey a meaning that someone would close something down once their threshold has been met)

Any comments will be most appreciated.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35533 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:
generis GMATNinja daagh

I want to share my doubt on the redundancy point of option (A) and how there appears to be a big difference in meaning between (A) and (B).

Quote:
(A) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

(B) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races forced the owner to close the speedway.

Isn't there a subtle yet important difference in meaning between the two ?

(A) ->The track was closed because the plummeting figures crossed a certain threshold and not just because of falling attendance figures alone.

(B) -> The track was closed because the figures started plummeting.

I understand that 'plummeting' means a big dip, still option (A) adds a trigger point (for closing the racing circuit) in addition to plummeting figures.

Based on this reasoning, I chose (A). (It makes more sense to convey a meaning that someone would close something down once their threshold has been met)

Any comments will be most appreciated.

altairahmad , I agree that there may be a subtle difference. (I think you mean (C), btw.)

I think that C is the better answer.

When we say that "despite increased interest in automobile racing, plummeting attendance figures forced the owner to close the roadway" we know that . . . the figures got so low that the owner had to close the place.

I used the examples in my OE for that reason.
"Skyrocketing interest rates are hurting the housing market" already indicates that the threshold for harm has been reached. That signal is included in the verbal "skyrocketing."

"Plummeting attendance figures forced the owner to close the roadway" similarly indicates that the threshold (of "so low that") was reached. The signal is contained in the verbal "plummeting," (an adjective, but derived from a verb).

You make a fair point.
In addition to what I just wrote, I always urge people to wonder: what, exactly, are these people testing me on?

In this instance, I think the answer is fairly clear: the writer is testing redundancy.
Does (C) do the job? Yes.
Do we NEED to say more as is the case in (A)? Not if we understand meaning as expressed by the whole sentence in (C).
Is (C) redundant? No.
Is (C) shorter? Yes.

Do I think that this case I just made is slam-dunk? Not sure.

When some (often dramatic) verbs are coupled with a result, it is understood that the effect of the dramatic verb WAS to cross the threshold and create the final result.
-- The mushrooming population of loggers in areas of the Amazon forest destroys vital sources of the earth's oxygen. (We don't know what the threshold is, but we know that it has been reached.)

For strategic reasons related to what is being tested as well as for overall meaning, I would still choose (C).

I used to know an official question that reminds me of this one. I can't remember it. If I do remember, I will update this post.

You make a very reasonable argument.
In the end, to run a project like SC Butler requires that I use non-official questions.
Good non-official questions are very hard to find.
This source is reliable, but it is not GMAC.

Takeaway? The question is not official.
Be aware of the issue that it raised (an issue that will crop up in a less equivocal way), but do not worry too much. :)

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 497
Send PM
GMATNinja
@e-gmat
I often get confused with the verb-ed modifier.
Verb-ed can act as a verb or a modifier. To check its functionality as a verb, we check who's doer of the action.
In option C, how can attendance figures (doer) forced anything? IMO, subject doesn't make sense with the verb (forced).
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures (subject) at local races forced (verb) the owner to close the speedway.
Please help me to understand verb-ed role.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts