GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 23:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (00:52) correct 49% (01:02) wrong based on 336 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 155: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway

C) forced the owner to close the speedway

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Senior SC Moderator
V
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 23:11
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

Quote:

• Redundant. The word plummeting already establishes that the attendance figures have fallen and are low.
Plummeting means decreasing quickly by a large amount, HERE
• Either "fell so low" or "plummeting" must go. "Plummeting" is not underlined. "Fell so low" should be removed.
so low that the owner was forced to close is a trap. The idiom So X that Y would be fine if it were not redundant.

Quote:

• also redundant as in (A)
low enough that + clause is a different kind of trap. T
Be careful with enough. I do not know of a single official question in which the correct answer included "enough that." I know of three in which the correct answer did not include enough that.
One official question is HERE. Another is HERE
In the last example, the OE writer mentioned vaguely that "enough that" was not as idiomatic as So X as to YHERE

Quote:

• correct

Quote:

• redundant as in A and B
• no reason exists to use had been forced, the past perfect tense

Quote:
]
• the attendance figures did not close the speedway. The owner closed the roadway.

Answer C

Redundancy may be difficult to catch in this question.
When redundant words are separated from each other, catching the redundancy is harder than when the words are close together.

We can eliminate D for its use of past perfect and E for illogical meaning.
Option B is not idiomatic. ("Enough that" is very common in speech and in informal writing. The construction is not correct on the GMAT.)
Now, A or C?

Remember that plummeting is an adjective. It tells us that attendance figures had fallen very quickly and were low.
Plummet is a dramatic verb.
In English we say, "Skyrocketing interest rates hurt the housing market."
We also say, "Plummeting attendance rates forced the owner to close the roadway."
We don't need the extra words in A, let alone redundant extra words.

COMMENTS

vaibhav1221 , Peddi , and rimkahan , welcome to SC Butler.

As always, I am please to see familiar usernames, too.

I am glad to see that so many people track on meaning.

A couple of you slid in after the OA posted. I haven't been explicit, so you get kudos. I will be clearer about time constraints.
If you posted before my edit, you get kudos.
Correct answers with explanations get kudos. Finally, if you got the answer wrong but I think you demonstrated good effort, you also get kudos.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 00:59
Hi generis,

is the underlined part ok?

Option-D seems to repeat "fell" twice
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 01:54
Is fell in option d , a mistake if not my answer is a . the correct answer is optionA

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 05:23
I think option A is the correct one

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 07:46
Ashokshiva wrote:
Hi generis,

is the underlined part ok?

Option-D seems to repeat "fell" twice

Ashokshiva , thank you, edited.

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 08:26
IMO C

''Plummeting'' and ''fell low'' mean the same thing, hence inorder to avoid redundancy selecting option-c.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 09:15
IMO the correct answer is C

Analysis of the sentence:

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, - This is a modifier phrase modifying the next following IC.
the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - the plummeting attendance figures - Subject of the sentence - Plural subject should take the plural verb; "at local races" - Prepositional phrase;"fell" - Plural verb- correct usage; "so low..." - the usage of so low is redundant as "plummeting" itself denoting a sharp decline figure. -
Hence original option is incorrect.

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - Incorrect

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway - Incorrect

C) forced the owner to close the speedway - Correct

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway - Incorrect

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low - Meaning error; - "the plummeting attendance figures" are not closing the speedway. - Incorrect
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 09:43
I think the answer is C, the tense is right

A, B, D, E have redundancy in their sentences, "PLUMMETING-FELL" is redundant...
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 09:44

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - redundancy

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway - redundancy

C) forced the owner to close the speedway - correct answer, clear meaning, correct structure

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway - redundancy

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low - changed meaning
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 09:50
Imo C- plummetimg and fell low show redundancy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 10:32
generis wrote:

I don't think there's a redundancy issue here, and everything else looks fine as well, therefore keep it.

The GMAT prefers "Fell so low that" over other constructions

I think there's a subtle meaning change here, and prefer (A).

The way I see it, and I would love a veteran to chime in: It was not the plummeting figures that caused the owner to close shop, it was that they fell to such a low level (They could have plummeted from a super high number but been sufficient to keep the business running)

Unnecessary verb tense

The plummeting figures didn't close the freeway.. Big meaning change
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 21:57
generis wrote:

A) fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway - INCORRECT. plummeting and fell are redundant

B) fell low enough that the owner was forced to close the speedway - INCORRECT. plummeting and fell are redundant

C) forced the owner to close the speedway - CORRECT

D) fell so low that the owner had been forced to close the speedway - INCORRECT. plummeting and fell are redundant

E) closed the speedway when they fell so low [color=#ff0000]- INCORRECT. the owner closed the speedway not the attending figures which is what this choice seems to imply/color]

IMO C
A,B,D can be eliminated because plummeting and fell are redundant
E seems to imply that the attending figures closed the speedway
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 23:22

Quote:

Redundant. Fell low and plummeting.

Quote:

Quote:

No redundancy here. Correct

Quote:

Quote:

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 23:40
Hi,
Two things here:
1. Sequence of events: plummeting attendance fell so low....then the closing of race course
2. Contrast: Despite...., plummeting...closing

Now, both the events, plummeting and closing, are in simple past but earlier event, falling low, should be in past perfect followed by closing in simple past.
Since none of the options has this construction, it is better to look for an option that delivers a crisp and clear meaning without any error.
C is the only option that conveys the author’s intent and is the winner.

V

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 00:48
I have posted the official explanation HERE

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 09:46
generis wrote:

Hello, I know I have not attempted this question during the 24 hour window but I will mention my approach anyway.
At first read there seems to be no issue in the sentence so you should just move on to answer choices.
Between A and B, "so low" vs "low enough" is not necessarily a breaking point as per me. Both should be okay so let's just move forward.
After reading option C, you should ask yourself: do you really need the phrase fell so low or whatever it is? The moment you ask this you should go to the word plummeting and realise you don't need this phrase at all.
Eliminate A B D.
Between C and E, C is more concise. E also commits the mistake of "they".
Hence C.
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 11:21
TheNightKing wrote:

Hello, I know I have not attempted this question during the 24 hour window but I will mention my approach anyway.
At first read there seems to be no issue in the sentence so you should just move on to answer choices.
Between A and B, "so low" vs "low enough" is not necessarily a breaking point as per me. Both should be okay so let's just move forward.
After reading option C, you should ask yourself: do you really need the phrase fell so low or whatever it is? The moment you ask this you should go to the word plummeting and realise you don't need this phrase at all.
Eliminate A B D.
Hence C.

TheNightKing , maybe I confused people.

I welcome posts at any time!

The 24-hour mark (when the OA is revealed) is simply the cutoff for absolute eligibility for kudos.

It is still possible to get kudos after that; such kudos depend on many factors.

I hope people do keep posting answers if they feel inclined to do so.
(Not non-explanatory answers.)
Posting answers is one of the best ways to learn, and others may benefit from different strategies and phrasing.

I did not articulate what you wrote in the highlighted part, although I thought about its content as I was writing.
What you wrote is spot on.

In addition, when you could not decide quickly whether A and B were correct, you moved on.
I use this strategy. It works for many people. It is very efficient.
And a subsequent answer choice may suggest why other answers might be or are wrong, just as C did in this question.

P.S. Option E suggests that the plummeting rates rather than the owner closed the roadway.
In a roundabout way, that connection is true. But (C) is better: a person closes down the business.
Option E is redundant, too.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 11:50
generis wrote:
TheNightKing wrote:

Eliminate A B D.
Hence C.

TheNightKing , maybe I confused people.

I welcome posts at any time!

The 24-hour mark (when the OA is revealed) is simply the cutoff for absolute eligibility for kudos.

It is still possible to get kudos after that; such kudos depend on many factors.

I hope people do keep posting answers if they feel inclined to do so.
(Not non-explanatory answers.)
Posting answers is one of the best ways to learn, and others may benefit from different strategies and phrasing.

I did not articulate what you wrote in the highlighted part, although I thought about its content as I was writing.
What you wrote is spot on.

In addition, when you could not decide quickly whether A and B were correct, you moved on.
I use this strategy. It works for many people. It is very efficient.
And a subsequent answer choice may suggest why other answers might be or are wrong, just as C did in this question.

P.S. Option E suggests that the plummeting rates rather than the owner closed the roadway.
In a roundabout way, that connection is true. But (C) is better: a person closes down the business.
Option E is redundant, too.

generis
Sure Sir. My only reason to mention the "24 hour window" is the fact that it is more fun when you don't know the OA and everyone is trying to figure out what the right answer is :)
Otherwise, Whenever someone has a good approach or someone feels that s/he can contribute to the forum should go ahead and post. And I am fairly confident you will award kudos to everyone who deserves.

And Thank you for your kind words :)
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 13:54
generis GMATNinja daagh

I want to share my doubt on the redundancy point of option (A) and how there appears to be a big difference in meaning between (A) and (B).

Quote:
(A) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

(B) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races forced the owner to close the speedway.

Isn't there a subtle yet important difference in meaning between the two ?

(A) ->The track was closed because the plummeting figures crossed a certain threshold and not just because of falling attendance figures alone.

(B) -> The track was closed because the figures started plummeting.

I understand that 'plummeting' means a big dip, still option (A) adds a trigger point (for closing the racing circuit) in addition to plummeting figures.

Based on this reasoning, I chose (A). (It makes more sense to convey a meaning that someone would close something down once their threshold has been met)

Any comments will be most appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2019, 13:54

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics