Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 23:05 It is currently 09 May 2024, 23:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73126 [0]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:
TheNightKing wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
It will also be interesting to find out the price point of the at-home aka "Interim" GMAT, since GMAC has indicated that it will cost less than the regular GMAT

I assume they will simply revert the price hike, bringing the price back to 250$.

Well, the GRE currently costs $205, and the At-Home GRE is the same price, so $195 would be even better from a competitive perspective, in my opinion--and it would encourage more students to try the "Interim" aka At-Home GMAT.

After all, the GMAT is significantly shorter (about 20%) without the AWA, so why not discount the price of the At-Home GMAT significantly as well? It's probably wishful thinking, but a lower price could actually mean a higher profit, if the cost differential compels more students to register for the at-home exam.

We shall see soon! : )

I personally don't think GMAC would even want to compete against ETS on price, as they increased their price from $250 to $275 just recently. If they ever wanted to compete on price they would have decreased or at least kept it at $250 (considering that gre costs $205), instead of increasing it to $275.
My thinking is at-home GMAT will be around $230~250.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73126 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ZM308, Are you bringing up some good points. I haven’t thought about it from the long term standpoint. I’m not sure if GMAT is thinking about it that way but I would pay extra to take a shorter test and not have AWA. Even six months ago I would’ve been happy to pay 350 bucks to take a shorter test. Would you not? I would also pay another extra hundred bucks to take the test at home. Now I will be able to do it for less... so far so good.

I don’t really know why they are reducing the price. The interim GMAT is now shorter and cheaper. It will be a challenge to bring back the longer and more expensive GMAT... who wants that?

Which brings me to believe that they may be competing with GRE, just like they have reduced the length of the test to make GMAT shorter than the GRE. I think they will try to match the price so I am in the sub $200 camp :-)

Anyone sees the point of dropping AWA or Price? The only reason and catch I could come up with, is that it will be short validity such as one year. I don’t want to start rumors. This is just a wild guess so don’t repeat it as truth. But this is the only reason I can think of why they would reduce the price.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
bb wrote:
ZM308, Are you bringing up some good points. I haven’t thought about it from the long term standpoint. I’m not sure if GMAT is thinking about it that way but I would pay extra to take a shorter test and not have AWA. Even six months ago I would’ve been happy to pay 350 bucks to take a shorter test. Would you not? I would also pay another extra hundred bucks to take the test at home. Now I will be able to do it for less... so far so good.

I don’t really know why they are reducing the price. The interim GMAT is now shorter and cheaper. It will be a challenge to bring back the longer and more expensive GMAT... who wants that?

Which brings me to believe that they may be competing with GRE, just like they have reduced the length of the test to make GMAT shorter than the GRE. I think they will try to match the price so I am in the sub $200 camp :-)

Anyone sees the point of dropping AWA or Price? The only reason and catch I could come up with, is that it will be short validity such as one year. I don’t want to start rumors. This is just a wild guess so don’t repeat it as truth. But this is the only reason I can think of why they would reduce the price.

I predict that it will be 199$ bb ;)

When a little dog (GRE) keeps barking and barking and bothering the big dog (GMAT) there comes a time when ever so often the BIG DOG has no more of it and rips the little dogs head off lol

I think gmat will try to rip GREs head off with this price reduction and shows who belongs in the B school testing market hence ending GREs little dog syndrome lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Here are some interesting facts about both companies in 2017

ETS revenue was $1.4B
GMAC revenue was $0.1B

So... ETS is a juggernaut compared to GMAC. Also, I find the quality of ETS services (except for questions in the exam) MUCH better than anything offered by GMAC. Let's consider support line. You can reach out to ETS support via online chat, phone call, or email. There are only a call or email options to reach GMAC's support, and I do not know about you guys, but I called GMAC a handful of times and my experience was terrible. That makes me wonder who is after whom in this particular situation. Also, ETS seems to have a much better product overall: the menu of the GRE software is nicer than the GMAT's one, ETS has fewer maintenance windows, and so on)

From my shy business experience, it really seems that one test making company is leading the game and another is desperately catching up.

These are my 2 cents.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 30 Mar 2020, 19:40.
Last edited by bb on 31 Mar 2020, 11:27, edited 2 times in total.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2423 [2]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mykrasovski wrote:

ETS revenue was $1.4B
GMAC revenue was $0.1B

So... ETS is a juggernaut compared to GMAC. Also, I find the quality of ETS services MUCH better than anything offered by GMAC. Let's consider support line. You can reach out to ETS support via online chat, phone call, or email. There are only a call or email options to reach GMAC's support, and I do not know about you guys, but I called GMAC a handful of times and my experience was terrible. That makes me wonder who is after whom in this particular situation. Also, ETS seems to have a much better product overall: the menu of the GRE software is nicer than the GMAT's one, ETS has fewer maintenance windows, and so on)

From my shy business experience, it really seems that one test making company is leading the game and another is desperately catching up.

These are my 2 cents.

I agree with all of this, and the numbers don't lie. However, the GRE is significantly easier than the GMAT overall, so the GMAT is more respected by top business schools.

If you're applying to graduate business schools, then I would look at the GRE as "the test you should take if you can't score above 50th percentile on the GMAT." So yes, ETS is the real juggernaut, revenue-wise, but the GMAT still has pole position when it comes to business school admissions. Taking the GRE is fine for all other types of grad school apps, but for b-school it still carries somewhat of a stigma, imo.

For example, you can earn a perfect 170/170 score on GRE Verbal with 4 questions wrong. If you get 4 wrong on GMAT Verbal, then it's 44/51.

Same with GRE Quant--you can earn a perfect 170 score with up to 3 wrong, which never happens on GMAT Quant (your best hope would be 50/51).

Finally, the fact that there is no lifetime limit on GRE retakes removes some of the "wow" factor from impressive GRE scores. Compare that to the GMAT, which has a lifetime limit of 8 exams per person, and you can see why most business schools still prefer the GMAT.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Mar 2020, 20:32.
Last edited by bb on 31 Mar 2020, 11:26, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 469
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:
Krishishere wrote:
End of GMAT's credibility.

All those "security measures" are simply too weak. Think of all the procedures in the test centers to prevent cheating. They are non-existent in home edition.

In s "Home", people can set up a spy camera to capture screens. This alone is fatal blow to the credibility of GRE / TOEFL / GMAT. If students can have access to the current pool of test questions, their scores can improve 30 points, 32 points, or 330 points, respectively, to start with!

I dont believe cheating in home GMAT is as easy as it is assumed. It is not a college exam setup where one or two instructors keep an eye out on students.There will be one person dedicated to you mapping out your movements as you solve timed questions which you cannot miss at any cost. Like really who has to ability to risk it by looking ways to cheat?!! Eye movement can be tracked, suspicious behaviour can be noticed and later your money could go waste and score be cancelled- the risk is way too high! In other exams one can allot time to questions as per their will, go to and fro b/w questions on diff pages, but in GMAT the whole ballgame is different, there is only 2 mins/Q. Im sure the screen will be monitored for privacy so not only screenshot will be prohibited but also an attempt at it will be notified to the IP owner.

Plus risk of losing internet connectivity in between, electricity cut off at home for some odd reason, back up taking time to turn on etc etc is more high at home and GMAC won't be responsible unlike it would be in the test centre, where there is uninterrupted connection available in most cases!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mykrasovski wrote:

ETS revenue was $1.4B
GMAC revenue was $0.1B

So... ETS is a juggernaut compared to GMAC. Also, I find the quality of ETS services (except for questions in the exam) MUCH better than anything offered by GMAC. Let's consider support line. You can reach out to ETS support via online chat, phone call, or email. There are only a call or email options to reach GMAC's support, and I do not know about you guys, but I called GMAC a handful of times and my experience was terrible. That makes me wonder who is after whom in this particular situation. Also, ETS seems to have a much better product overall: the menu of the GRE software is nicer than the GMAT's one, ETS has fewer maintenance windows, and so on)

These are my 2 cents.

They are all valid points. I meant ETS is still very small when it comes to Business school applications. Majority still prefer GMAT over GRE, although that is changing every year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
bb wrote:
I think the idea is that they will be considered equal... so you feel they should not be?

PearlRay wrote:
There is no piece of information about how Business school adcoms are going to digest applicants with a "Interim GMAT" Score vs the students who have already taken the GMAT at a test center. How are they going to be compared ?

I feel there shouldn't be any problem, only that the testing conditions in both the cases differ. Personally I would be more at peace and control my nerves if I gave from home.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lnm87 wrote:
bb wrote:
lnm87 wrote:

May be Uber flying taxi :tongue_opt2
Corona has made us too creative.

Well... you have to innovate once in a while esp during times like these. Unprecedented events require unprecedented responses... it would not be such a big deal if we all knew what to do. It is like a question on the GMAT you have never seen and have no clue how to solve and the clock is ticking. What are you going to do? You are going to get creative or otherwise, pick an answer choice and leave it to a 20% chance.

Being flexible and creative make sense in GMAT. Just to point out if GMAC/ETS comes up with home based tests in India, applicants here might face problems with bandwidth. Point to note that Govt. of India has asked Netflix/Amazon streaming service to postpone their programs as, probably, its causing huge downfall in internet speed since people are sitting at home(all states under lockdown now and will be most likely extended).

India has lowest internet speeds among major economies which is not motivating.

Hopefully COVID-19 is not adaptive as GMAT. :tongue_opt3 biggest concern, a dropped internet connection during home exam, and another is Mac compatibility for non window users!
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2423 [2]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
valencia27 wrote:
biggest concern, a dropped internet connection during home exam, and another is Mac compatibility for non window users! [/color]

I’m 95% sure that the Interim GMAT will work on a Mac running a free copy of Windows via Bootcamp (same with the At-Home GRE), and plan to test out this theory by taking both the at-home GRE (ProctorU + ETS secure test browser) and GMAT exams (? + ?) on my MacBook Air ASAP...with a backup PC laptop nearby just in case.

Of course, it depends on what testing software and which proctoring company GMAC decides to use/partner with—which we still don’t know the details of yet.
In the meantime, keep checking https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus for updates straight from GMAC, the maker of the GMAT.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 31 Mar 2020, 21:07.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 31 Mar 2020, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73126 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You’re welcome to test but I am 99.999 sure that a MAC with boot camp will run GRE and GMAT at home just fine... I’ve been using a Mac with Boot Camp for the last six years with three different Mac laptops. I have never had any issues with Windows based software. Things work just fine.

PS. The keyboard is not perfect for windows but it’s very minor

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Let’s say you are planning on going to business school after the Fall of 2021. By than, the pandemic should be contained and we will continue our lives as usual. If you take the GMAT at home version, do you think any MBA programs will value the test performance any differently than the version offered at the test center? I know the at home edition will exclude the essay portion of the exam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
valencia27 wrote:
biggest concern, a dropped internet connection during home exam, and another is Mac compatibility for non window users! [/color]

I’m 95% sure that the Interim GMAT will work on a Mac running a free copy of Windows via Bootcamp (same with the At-Home GRE), and plan to test out this theory by taking both the at-home GRE (ProctorU + ETS secure test browser) and GMAT exams (? + ?) on my MacBook Air ASAP...with a backup PC laptop nearby just in case.

Of course, it depends on what testing software and which proctoring company GMAC decides to use/partner with—which we still don’t know the details of yet.
In the meantime, keep checking https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus for updates straight from GMAC, the maker of the GMAT.

Thanks for the info, heard about this bootcamp thing, never tried it. Will look into it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi,
I live in a country that doesn't have a GMAT licence, and I was planning on travelling abroad yo take the test.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that for a couple of months because of Corona virus.
Does anyone know if GMAT from home will be available worldwide?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi,
I live in a country that doesn't have a GMAT licence, and I was planning on travelling abroad yo take the test.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that for a couple of months because of Corona virus.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ikica wrote:
Hi,

Which country are you from? I think GMAT has only indicated that it’s not be available in China as of now so I’d say that you have a pretty good chance, unless some other political regulations prohibit the same.

As long as you have a reliable internet connection and meet the requirements, you should be ok. Wait for gmat to release more details and you will know for sure very soon!

I’m wishing that you do !!! BTW, why don’t you try the GRE instead?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: NUS
Send PM
bb wrote:
You’re welcome to test but I am 99.999 sure that a MAC with boot camp will run GRE and GMAT at home just fine... I’ve been using a Mac with Boot Camp for the last six years with three different Mac laptops. I have never had any issues with Windows based software. Things work just fine.

PS. The keyboard is not perfect for windows but it’s very minor

Do you think there will be an option to withdraw from the existing GMAT slot and register for the home version, instead? obviously not expecting any refund in the differential amount owing to the cheaper at-home version because they never return anything once it is out of your pocket but atleast they should be allowing people to do take the Interim GMAT by cancelling the actual version?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  183