GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 15:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 21:48
Are there any debriefs of people that took the GRE exam at home?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 21:54
jsound996 wrote:
Are there any debriefs of people that took the GRE exam at home?

Yes, go and read the last few pages of this discussion :roll:

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: NUS '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 22:39
Hi Guys,
I have a question if anyone can address would be great.
My testing center is Pearson Vue Mumbai, India. I had booked GMAT for 25th April as the lock-down was announced till 15th April. Now lock-down has been extended to 30th April and there are no dates available as of now in May for me to re-schedule. Should I cancel my test and wait for launch of GMAT at home? When are they launching GMAT at home? Will I get a full refund if I cancel my test now? I want to give my GMAT as early as possible, what should be the best thing I should do now.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 22:42
mayur278 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a question if anyone can address would be great.
My testing center is Pearson Vue Mumbai, India. I had booked GMAT for 25th April as the lock-down was announced till 15th April. Now lock-down has been extended to 30th April and there are no dates available as of now in May for me to re-schedule. Should I cancel my test and wait for launch of GMAT at home? When are they launching GMAT at home? Will I get a full refund if I cancel my test now? I want to give my GMAT as early as possible, what should be the best thing I should do now.

It is good you asked because it is all in this discussion. All the questions you have asked ... just look at the first post and then second and so on...

Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 15:22
Top Contributor
At least GMAC had the common sense to drop the clunky "Interim GMAT" title in favor of the far more obvious (and better!) "Online GMAT," which suggests that it's not actually temporary, but instead here to stay.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 15:31
Or like every bureaucratic organization they will have multiple names referring to the same product to cause confusion and misunderstanding among both its employees and customers. ;)

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 15:43
mcelroytutoring wrote:
At least GMAC had the common sense to drop the clunky "Interim GMAT" title in favor of the far more obvious (and better!) "Online GMAT," which suggests that it's not actually temporary, but instead here to stay.

mcelroytutoring

Can you share the link? I don't have the email and probably won't get.

Thanks!

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 16:02
Top Contributor
TheNightKing wrote:

mcelroytutoring

Can you share the link? I don't have the email and probably won't get.

Thanks!

Sure, here you go:

https://start.mba.com/gmat-alt
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 04:36
Hey guys,

So I took the GRE at home version after about 1.5 weeks of preparation this weekend and it did not go well.

There were tons of glitches and major interruptions. Something that everyone will have to embrace in this format I guess. The following are my recommendations if anyone is planning to take the GRE at home or GMAT at home version.

1. Get mozilla firefox asap. Google chrome doesn't work with ProctorU very well. They have to run their own extension on the browser and it gives you a lot of trouble. For instance, I had a monitor hooked upto my personal laptop and an external Logitech camera. Google kept trying to connect to my laptop webcam and not my external webcam. This involved an hour of trouble shooting by their technician and one guy almost said that I dont have appropriate equipment for the exam. I showed him that my external webcam works just fine on Skype and then after almost an hour of delibration and installing firefox, they got the exam started. I was already tired by that time.

2. Do not underestimate GRE nor the marathon of an exam that it is. It is long and fatigue gets you by the end of the exam. I had a migraine and could barely keep my eyes open. The whole ordeal took me 6.5 hrs in place of 3.45 hrs. The two essay sections are very long and the experimental section is another lengthy addition to the exam.

In short, please practice with essays when you give the mocks. Only Kaplan gives you 5 sections (including experimental ones) for the mock exams and I'd recommend practicing with Kaplan exams.

3. GRE quant is very hard.

The mock exams made the GRE quant look so easy but the final exam was brutal. I'd say harder than GMAT quant. I dont know if ETS made the GRE harder for the home edition or not but the qs were nowhere near the difficulty I faced during my mock exams. I can say the same for my verbal section as well. The passages were extremely dense and long. I guess this is where GRE differs from GMAT in the sense that its not adaptive and GRE score purely depends on how many qs you can get correct. So you dont benefit from getting a harder section in the exam.

My scores leading upto the exams were;

1. 322 (Q162-V160)
2. 326 (Q166-V 160) and
3. 326 (Q166- V160).

But my final exam score was 311 (Q159 and V 152). I believe that the technical difficulties def played a role in hampering my score. I underperformed by a huge margin.

Contrary to the feelings of most people on this forum regarding taking the exam from home, I think I prefer the exam center experience over home anyday. It's also very distracting when the proctors try to chat with you during the exam and ask you to constantly remain in the camera at all times.

Concluding remarks:

Make sure that you are prepared for the ponderous, interminable and protracted version of the GRE exam, especially if you have been studying for GMAT and making the switch just to take advantage of the at home version and meet your deadlines. If you can wait this Covid-19 crisis out and go write it in the test centers then please do so. I'd still recommend the shorter GMAT version over this long test anyday.
Download firefox and be ready.
Finally, practice all the sections of the GRE in your mock exams, including the two essays and do not skip any sections.

Hope my debrief helps you and you dont make the same mistakes I made. Good luck with your exams and I hope everyone stays safe!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 06:32
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

So I took the GRE at home version after about 1.5 weeks of preparation this weekend and it did not go well.

There were tons of glitches and major interruptions. Something that everyone will have to embrace in this format I guess. The following are my recommendations if anyone is planning to take the GRE at home or GMAT at home version.

1. Get mozilla firefox asap. Google chrome doesn't work with ProctorU very well. They have to run their own extension on the browser and it gives you a lot of trouble. For instance, I had a monitor hooked upto my personal laptop and an external Logitech camera. Google kept trying to connect to my laptop webcam and not my external webcam. This involved an hour of trouble shooting by their technician and one guy almost said that I dont have appropriate equipment for the exam. I showed him that my external webcam works just fine on Skype and then after almost an hour of delibration and installing firefox, they got the exam started. I was already tired by that time.

2. Do not underestimate GRE nor the marathon of an exam that it is. It is long and fatigue gets you by the end of the exam. I had a migraine and could barely keep my eyes open. The whole ordeal took me 6.5 hrs in place of 3.45 hrs. The two essay sections are very long and the experimental section is another lengthy addition to the exam.

In short, please practice with essays when you give the mocks. Only Kaplan gives you 5 sections (including experimental ones) for the mock exams and I'd recommend practicing with Kaplan exams.

The mock exams made the GRE quant look so easy but the final exam was brutal. I'd say harder than GMAT quant. I dont know if ETS made the GRE harder for the home edition or not but the qs were nowhere near the difficulty I faced during my mock exams. I can say the same for my verbal section as well. The passages were extremely dense and long. I guess this is where GRE differs from GMAT in the sense that its not adaptive and GRE score purely depends on how many qs you can get correct. So you dont benefit from getting a harder section in the exam.

1. 322 (Q162-V160)
2. 326 (Q166-V 160) and
3. 326 (Q166- V160).

But my final exam score was 311 (Q159 and V 152). I believe that the technical difficulties def played a role in hampering my score. I underperformed by a huge margin.

Contrary to the feelings of most people on this forum regarding taking the exam from home, I think I prefer the exam center experience over home anyday. It's also very distracting when the proctors try to chat with you during the exam and ask you to constantly remain in the camera at all times.

Concluding remarks:

Make sure that you are prepared for the ponderous, interminable and protracted version of the GRE exam, especially if you have been studying for GMAT and making the switch just to take advantage of the at home version and meet your deadlines. If you can wait this Covid-19 crisis out and go write it in the test centers then please do so. I'd still recommend the shorter GMAT version over this long test anyday.
Finally, practice all the sections of the GRE in your mock exams, including the two essays and do not skip any sections.

Hope my debrief helps you and you dont make the same mistakes I made. Good luck with your exams and I hope everyone stays safe!

Were you asked to always keep your hands visible to the webcam while taking notes? How could they be sure that while taking notes you hadn't a cheat sheet below? Or a mobile phone?

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 07:14
xzip03 wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

1. 322 (Q162-V160)
2. 326 (Q166-V 160) and
3. 326 (Q166- V160).

Concluding remarks:

Were you asked to always keep your hands visible to the webcam while taking notes? How could they be sure that while taking notes you hadn't a cheat sheet below? Or a mobile phone?

Hi xzip03,

So I would be really surprised if any one is successful in cheating. The exam is remotely controlled by the proctor. They take control over your screen and monitor it at all time.

Before the exam begins, you do a complete scan of the exam room. They ask you to show your desk, walls, cover any bookshelves with blankets etc. Very thorough and I doubt if anyone can get away with installing a camera. Evene wall hangings and posters are being asked to cover up. They made me show them my desk and the shelves and everything. So there is no way you could get a cheat sheet. Also, I bought a white board from staples so you can only fit 2 problems at one time before you have to erase it and make room for new qs.

The scan happens again after your 10 minute break and the clock just doesn't stop and the exam does not automatically begin. Thats why it takes this long. Proctors are usually very nice. They dont care about your hands they just want your face to be visible at all times and inside the video box where you are being recorded.

Hope this helps and ask me anything you need to know and I'll be happy to answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 07:23
Thank you for the detailed feedback. Super useful!

I just bought a white board...now, I have to think twice if I should take the Home Edition!

ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

1. 322 (Q162-V160)
2. 326 (Q166-V 160) and
3. 326 (Q166- V160).

Concluding remarks:

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 07:28
zhanbo wrote:
Thank you for the detailed feedback. Super useful!

I just bought a white board...now, I have to think twice if I should take the Home Edition!

ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

1. 322 (Q162-V160)
2. 326 (Q166-V 160) and
3. 326 (Q166- V160).

Concluding remarks:

Hi Zhanbo,

You are welcome. As you’ve previously taken the GRE and scored really high on it I don’t anticipate you facing any difficulties as such. I was just thrown off by how long the whole exam was. And it was my bad experience which may just have been one case out of many. You may not experience any delays, esp if you download the Firefox browser.

Good luck on your exam and I’m wishing you well :)

Hopefully your account of the exam will be a lot better than mine.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 07:43
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

Thank you!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 07:45
bb wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

Holy ****!

Kellogg waived the test requirement.

How many applications will be submitted now?

More information here: http://blogs.kellogg.northwestern.edu/i ... dium=email
Attachments

Kellog.PNG
Kellog.PNG [ 77.97 KiB | Viewed 3791 times ]

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 07:58
Kellogg is also offering to reconsider applications of those who were denied and WL. An email went out to all of those folks.

Attachment:
kellogg-email.jpeg
kellogg-email.jpeg [ 24.73 KiB | Viewed 3743 times ]

ari.banerjee wrote:
bb wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hey guys,

Holy ****!

Kellogg waived the test requirement.

How many applications will be submitted now?

More information here: http://blogs.kellogg.northwestern.edu/i ... dium=email

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 08:03
Registrations are now OPEN for the Online GMAT!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 08:06
Shadi123 wrote:
Registrations are now OPEN for the Online GMAT!

Awesome! Thanks for reporting!!!
When is the first day you can take the GMAT at home online interim test???

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Apr 2020, 08:24
More information here:

https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online

They've priced it at 200$ haha I was pretty close with 195$...

"The total exam time is approximately 3 hours -- 2 hours 45 minutes for the exam and an additional 15 minutes to check into the online proctored system. You will be allowed one, optional 5-minute break before you begin the Integrated Reasoning section. "

1 break of 5 mins :shock: thats it?

Retesting
At this time the GMAT™ Online Exam can only be taken once. Currently, score cancellations and retakes will not be available, with the exception of verified technical issues.

The GMAT™ Online Exam will not count toward your yearly nor lifetime exam attempt limits.

Originally posted by ari.banerjee on 14 Apr 2020, 08:06.
Last edited by ari.banerjee on 14 Apr 2020, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GRE 1: Q168 V154

GRE 2: Q169 V152
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 08:09
Appointment dates are available beginning April 20, 2020 until June 15, 2020. We will continue to monitor conditions and look to add future appointment dates as needed.

Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2020, 08:09

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  97    Next  [ 1923 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep