GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jul 2020, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 14:37
mcelroytutoring wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hi Mcelroytutoring,

I am giving my GRE at home shortly and was hoping you could answer a few qs regarding your experience.
Can you please tell me if one can scribble for solutions in a GMAT type booklet which is laminated and written with a dry erase marker? I have bought a small white board but I dont want to use it as Ill waste a lot of time erasing it during the test as the space is limited.

Also, did you notice any interruptions caused by the proctors? As in if you cover your face while writing or lean on the desk? I also have a tendency to read portions of the RC passages out loud (not too loud but like mumble to myself), will that be a problem?

Finally, did you see an experimental section on the exam or a research section? Were you intimated which is which or did this seem like the normal exam with 5 sections? + experimental section?

How did you do in this exam? Do you find this experience easier than the test center or more chaotic?

Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate your input.
Ari Banerjee

Yes, you can use a blank, laminated sheet instead of a dry-erase board. The proctors were not too strict, other than the fact that I had to be on camera all times and show them my wrists, ears, glasses, etc.

I did well, but not my best. The score wasn't quite up to my high standards, but the conditions were not optimal, and I treated it mostly as an experiment anyway, so I'm OK with that. My entire family was home at the time (obviously), and although my wife tried to keep the kids on the quiet side, we have 3 of them, including a 2-year old, and as any parent knows, you can only do so much. ; ) Before the exam, my internet connection was diagnosed as "sub-optimal" in my daughter's room, the only suitable room for the exam (which also happens to have the worst wireless reception in the house), so the exam ended up taking 50% longer than it should have (see picture below).

Did I miss the relative quiet of the testing center? Yeah, a little--but that's simply not an option. However, taking it at home was also supremely cool, despite all the technical snafus, and I can see it being perfect for someone who lives alone in a quiet apartment with a fast, reliable, wired internet connection--or someone who has access to a quiet hotel room or office with similar amenities.

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. Btw how do you get the final score? Am I allowed to take a screen shot of the final score to share it with universities since the official score will take 10-15 days?

Btw, can one go to the bathroom in the one minute break if they really have to? After giving so many GMAT exams I’m almost habitual to use the rest room after 1 hour haha I always end up drinking too much water in the breaks.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 15:17
Top Contributor
ari.banerjee wrote:

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. Btw how do you get the final score? Am I allowed to take a screen shot of the final score to share it with universities since the official score will take 10-15 days?

Btw, can one go to the bathroom in the one minute break if they really have to? After giving so many GMAT exams I’m almost habitual to use the rest room after 1 hour haha I always end up drinking too much water in the breaks.

You receive the unofficial score immediately after the exam (and clicking "Report Score"), minus the AW score of course. You can't take a screenshot because screenshooting is disabled during the exam.

You are NOT allowed to leave your seat during the 1-minute breaks, but I suppose that in the worst-case, "gotta-go" scenario you could turn off your computer (or just your router) between sections, then try to log back on after your bathroom trip--giving the appearance that you have never left your seat, but actually leaving you just enough time to run to the bathroom. I actually kind of wish I had done that, since the first 2 hours of my test took over 3 hours, and I was definitely uncomfortable toward the end of the 2nd multiple-choice section.

For all I know, though, GMAC's proctoring service could institute completely different rules and regulations for the Interim GMAT. The At-Home GRE is simply all we have to go off at this point.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: LBS '22 (WL)
GPA: 3.83
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 06:13
Has anybody heard from GMAC about when they'll allow registrations for the at-home testing and when it's supposed to be available?
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Apr 2020, 15:43
nyc20 - Expect it to be in the third week of April (April 22 onwards, will update when we get the official word). I just received an invite from the GMAC to attend an info session on April 17th to know more about the mechanics of the Interim GMAT (designed for test prep companies). We will definitely field all these questions and more there.

-Rajat

Originally posted by egmat on 09 Apr 2020, 14:11.
Last edited by egmat on 09 Apr 2020, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 14:15
egmat wrote:
nyc20 - Expect it to be in the third week of April. I just received an invite from the GMAC for an info session on the Interim GMAT for test prep companies on April 17th. We will definitely field all these questions and more there.

-Rajat

Please do remind them to tag those questions used in Home Edition so that they won't use the same questions in the future test administrations after the pandemic / HomeEdition is over. They should release those HomeEdition questions in another publication as we love official questions.
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 15:47
zhanbo - I will definitely pass the message, though I doubt they would oblige. We are talking about releasing hundreds of questions and the most (to my recollection) that the GMAC has released in a single year in the recent past is about ~200 for OG2020.

-Rajat
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2020, 10:45
Got a mail from mba.com today where it says:
"We all recognize this is a challenging time for testing with test center closures around the world. To help, GMAC is offering GMAT™ Online. This will be an interim, proctored GMAT™ exam so that you can meet the current application cycle deadlines.
GMAT Online is primarily for those of you who have had your GMAT appointment cancelled due to COVID-19 and have immediate b-school application deadlines. The interim exam will provide an alternative option so that you can meet those deadlines and continue your goals. .

GMAT Online has a comparable structure and identical scoring algorithm and methodology as the test center GMAT™ exam. The interim exam will have the same number of items and time for completion across the Quant, Verbal and IR sections (no AWA section).

Also, we want to make the exam as flexible as possible for you. GMAT Online will be accessible on either a MAC or PC. Plus, we are working on adding accommodations to assist those with special needs. "

Here is my take : since we know that this is an interim exam option , so probably the at home exam is going to be only for candidates who have upcoming deadlines only and on case to case basis GMAC may extend this option for all students as well.
There is a possibility that people who would be registering for this exam would probably have to select the schools in advance at the of exam registration. :|
Given the condition of system requirement ,the question of using bootcamp on mac is ruled out for now. :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Health Care)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2020, 19:05
Archit3110 I think you're overinferring a bit from what they said. Yes, they said that the exam will be "primarily" for those who are trying to meet the upcoming deadlines, but they are not concluding that it won't be valid for other people who are taking the exam with the hopes of it being valid for a longer timeline.

I really just do not see why GMAC would only render these tests valid for perhaps the next year or so (rather than keep them valid for the next 5 years per usual). As I believe an instructor stated somewhere, the "At-Home" score will likely be comparable to what you would get at a test center on average, simply because people will have other distractions at home that are not prevalent at test centers (e.g., roommates, less robust of an exam setup, no noise cancelling headphones, etc.) Also, I'd argue some might score higher at a test center, because that psychological feeling of being in such a high-stakes environment could propel one to be more laser-focused than usual on gameday (take me as an example: I scored 60 pts higher a month ago on the actual test than any practice test I had ever taken).

I think GMAC has to understand that performance on the GMAT can be a very momentum-based test. A lot of people peak through excessive amounts of reps and practice - a simple example of this is the mental math one gains from memorizing calculations such as what 6^3 is or what the 45-45-90 degree triangles' dimensions are. If you delay a certain subset of test takers the ability to take the exam (e.g., people applying to MBAs in 2+ years, such as myself), you are actually really screwing them over. Because if we have to wait another two to three months before we can take an exam that we are ready to take right now, there is a high probability that we will not be at our peak areas. Or, something at work could come up and result in people like us having to revert away from the test, and then those key advantages I just described to you from doing mass amounts of practice are lost, thus lowering the score.

It's a murky situation for sure because people on the outside looking in could say "that's so unfair that they get to take it at home - I bet they score better!" or perhaps they may just not like that someone scores their GMAT score in a way that appears 'nontraditional' to what has been typically done-yet, these are unprecedented times, so audibles have to be called. I am extremely interested in what GMAC will say to us in the coming days, to say the least. :cool:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 07:20
Roonsta
What I posted is just my point of view on the mail I had got from mba.com , as its too early to comment or assume on what may or may not happen with the at home exam option as nothing as such is official yet and I do hope that GMAC does allow and make this test available for everyone and does not put any special condition. :)

Roonsta wrote:
Archit3110 I think you're overinferring a bit from what they said. Yes, they said that the exam will be "primarily" for those who are trying to meet the upcoming deadlines, but they are not concluding that it won't be valid for other people who are taking the exam with the hopes of it being valid for a longer timeline.

I really just do not see why GMAC would only render these tests valid for perhaps the next year or so (rather than keep them valid for the next 5 years per usual). As I believe an instructor stated somewhere, the "At-Home" score will likely be comparable to what you would get at a test center on average, simply because people will have other distractions at home that are not prevalent at test centers (e.g., roommates, less robust of an exam setup, no noise cancelling headphones, etc.) Also, I'd argue some might score higher at a test center, because that psychological feeling of being in such a high-stakes environment could propel one to be more laser-focused than usual on gameday (take me as an example: I scored 60 pts higher a month ago on the actual test than any practice test I had ever taken).

I think GMAC has to understand that performance on the GMAT can be a very momentum-based test. A lot of people peak through excessive amounts of reps and practice - a simple example of this is the mental math one gains from memorizing calculations such as what 6^3 is or what the 45-45-90 degree triangles' dimensions are. If you delay a certain subset of test takers the ability to take the exam (e.g., people applying to MBAs in 2+ years, such as myself), you are actually really screwing them over. Because if we have to wait another two to three months before we can take an exam that we are ready to take right now, there is a high probability that we will not be at our peak areas. Or, something at work could come up and result in people like us having to revert away from the test, and then those key advantages I just described to you from doing mass amounts of practice are lost, thus lowering the score.

It's a murky situation for sure because people on the outside looking in could say "that's so unfair that they get to take it at home - I bet they score better!" or perhaps they may just not like that someone scores their GMAT score in a way that appears 'nontraditional' to what has been typically done-yet, these are unprecedented times, so audibles have to be called. I am extremely interested in what GMAC will say to us in the coming days, to say the least. :cool:
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 08:31
Did everyone get an email for an invitation to the webinar on April 17?

[Webinar] Introducing the Online GMAT™ for Test Takers on April 17

Quote:
Due to the impact of COVID-19 on test center locations around the world, we will offer a GMAT online alternative exam to test takers. Join us on Friday, April 17 at noon (ET) to learn more about the details for the online exam.

This webinar is for candidates who will take the interim Online GMAT to apply to graduate business programs. Topics will include:

• Alternative exam structure and scoring
• Test registration pricing and process
• Computer requirements and test security
• Test preparation recommendations

This is your opportunity to have your questions answered by the makers of the GMAT exam. If you have any questions that you would like to be answered during the webinar, submit your questions here.

PS. April 17 is the date of the webinar, I don’t think that’s the date of the home test opening. My guess GMAT at home will start the following Monday, April 20.

Schools: Rotman '22, Jones '22
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 08:39
I think the registration will start on 30th April.

There was an update on mba.com on 10th April.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 08:42
[quote="jbatra"]I think the registration will start on 30th April.

There was an update on mba.com on 10th April.

Yes. They said end of April... and I think your prediction is likely more accurate than mine :lol:

I am guessing we will know by the 17th what date it will be.
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 08:45
bb wrote:

Quote:
Due to the impact of COVID-19 on test center locations around the world, we will offer a GMAT online alternative exam to test takers. Join us on Friday, April 17 at noon (ET) to learn more about the details for the online exam.

This webinar is for candidates who will take the interim Online GMAT to apply to graduate business programs. Topics will include:

This is your opportunity to have your questions answered by the makers of the GMAT exam. If you have any questions that you would like to be answered during the webinar, submit your questions here.

PS. April 17 is the date of the webinar, I don’t think that’s the date of the home test opening. My guess GMAT at home will start the following Monday, April 20.

I did not. My GMAT scheduled for mid-April was cancelled, so I am not sure who the target recipients of the email were.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 08:48
Weird.... you would think you would be the target audience. It it does not seem like this is for a special audience. Sometimes GMAT runs webinars for test prep companies only and sometimes we get invited to those but this just seems like a webinar for everyone....

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 08:50
bb wrote:

Quote:

I had a Gmat scheduled for the end of March and didn't get the email.
Why do you guys think that they will go as far as opening registrations only at the end of the month?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2020, 08:34
I just got an email from GMAC about the webinar on April 17th. I did not have any scheduled test. I guess everyone who took the test last year should have received an email.

Also, I took the "at home" GRE test for the sake of experiment. Will share my thoughts in the dedicated thread.

Happy Easter everyone!

--

UPDATE: I wrote a debrief about my GRE "at home" experience. Happy reading. Let me know if you have questions.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 11 Apr 2020, 13:33.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 12 Apr 2020, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 15:48
I stand corrected. I think this is the second time I got tricked by the “wonderful” page that combines GMAT and EA timelines. The official page https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus still says that the NEW gmat will be available mid-April. (I wonder if my April 20th prediction is on target as the result).

EA is still end of April.
https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus

P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 17:40
bb, I opine that GMAC might be making the interim test available as early as April 20th (the Monday after the webinar). I apply common sense to their statement that "interim GMAT without AWA and at lower price point will be available mid-April".
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Apr 2020, 15:21
Top Contributor
To recap what we know as of right now: on Friday 4/17/20 at 12 noon EST, GMAC will be holding a webinar about the online, at-home, Online GMAT (formerly “Interim GMAT") that was already promised (“mid-April release”) weeks ago, of which we know little to nothing yet, other than the fact that there will be no AMA.

We are witnessing in real time the usual foot dragging and general corporate incompetence that I have come to expect from GMAC.

Meanwhile, the At-Home GRE has been successfully operating for the last 3 weeks. :|

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 11 Apr 2020, 20:44.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 13 Apr 2020, 15:21, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 20:50
Well said and summarized. Thank you.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
To recap what we know as of right now: on Friday 4/17/20 at 12 noon EST, GMAC will be holding a webinar about the online, at-home, “interim” exam that was already promised (“mid-April release”) weeks ago, of which we know little to nothing yet, other than the fact that there will be no AMA.

We are witnessing in real time the usual foot dragging and general corporate incompetence that I would have expected from GMAC.

Meanwhile, the At-Home GRE has been successfully operating for the last 3 weeks. :|

Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2020, 20:50

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  92    Next  [ 1830 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep