GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2020, 19:27
Ikica wrote:
Hi,
I live in a country that doesn't have a GMAT licence, and I was planning on travelling abroad yo take the test.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that for a couple of months because of Corona virus.
Does anyone know if GMAT from home will be available worldwide?
Hi Ikica,

I hope that they make it available to anyone who is unable to take the GMAT because of current or future disruptions. This is what they say on mba.com:
Quote:
The alternative test will be available in impacted markets, outside of mainland China.

I thought that the exception must be related to the fact that China tries to control content on the Internet. That is, there must be some kind of approval process that the GMAT needs to go through.
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2020, 20:34
Yes. GMAC has waived cancelations fees. Let me know if you don’t think it applies to your situation.

See here: https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-qu ... ce-changes

basecamper09 wrote:
bb wrote:
You’re welcome to test but I am 99.999 sure that a MAC with boot camp will run GRE and GMAT at home just fine... I’ve been using a Mac with Boot Camp for the last six years with three different Mac laptops. I have never had any issues with Windows based software. Things work just fine.

PS. The keyboard is not perfect for windows but it’s very minor

Posted from my mobile device

Do you think there will be an option to withdraw from the existing GMAT slot and register for the home version, instead? obviously not expecting any refund in the differential amount owing to the cheaper at-home version because they never return anything once it is out of your pocket but atleast they should be allowing people to do take the Interim GMAT by cancelling the actual version?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2020, 23:28
Thank you for your answer.
I'm from Serbia, and Serbia doesn't have a GMAT licence for five years now.
My main concern is that they don't even see my country as a market because in regular circumstances I wouldn't be able to take yhe test from here.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 09:33
hey guys,
does anybody know when booking for online gmat will open? it looks like there are no news yet
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 10:06
Giacomino98 wrote:
hey guys,
does anybody know when booking for online gmat will open? it looks like there are no news yet

The website says that the registration will open by end of April. I am waiting to hear some news as well.
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 10:09
shameekv1989 wrote:
Giacomino98 wrote:
hey guys,

The website says that the registration will open by end of April. I am waiting to hear some news as well.

How useful will that be in India then? our lockdown will open by mid/end of this month anyway..
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 10:44
Kritisood wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
Giacomino98 wrote:
hey guys,

How useful will that be in India then? our lockdown will open by mid/end of this month anyway..

It does not appear that GMAC announced the registration date for the GMAT. It seems that the registration date at the end of April only refers to the Online Executive Assessment.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 16:32
Just got a message from PearsonVue canceling my late april appointment.. hope the GMAT at home will be put in place shortly!

Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 17:11
Top Contributor
The fact that another week has passed with no real updates from GMAC is concerning to say the least. I would assume that the employees there are in the process of accepting bids from the various online proctoring companies, coding the software for the exam itself, debating the price point for the "interim" GMAT without AWA (team $195!), and transitioning to work-at-home orders like 95% of us in the US (and worldwide).

Meanwhile, the At-Home GRE has been running--if not smoothly--for the last few weeks.
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 17:18
mcelroytutoring wrote:
The fact that another week has passed with no real updates from GMAC is concerning to say the least. I would assume that the employees there are in the process of accepting bids from the various online proctoring companies, coding the software for the exam itself, debating the price point for the "interim" GMAT without AWA (team $195!), and transitioning to work-at-home orders like 95% of us in the US (and worldwide).

Meanwhile, the At-Home GRE has been running--if not smoothly--for the last few weeks.

mcelroytutoring
Have you heard of any experiences from GRE people who have given At-Home tests? And if so, how has it been so far? Any particular issues that you have heard might be good to know?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Apr 2020, 17:48
Top Contributor
shameekv1989 wrote:
Have you heard of any experiences from GRE people who have given At-Home tests? And if so, how has it been so far? Any particular issues that you have heard might be good to know?

Funny you should mention...I took the At-Home GRE as an experiment myself just last night, in fact! My main recommendation is to make sure that you have a strong internet connection, preferably a wired ethernet connection, because I had a wireless connection that kept getting "disconnected," turning what should have been a 4-hour test into a 6-hour ordeal of getting booted from the test and trying to re-establish a connection with the proctor / restart the test from where I left off. I even had to reboot my entire computer twice and log back into the test through my ProctorU account, where luckily, my work was saved up until the point of disconnection.

The good news, though, is that I got it to work on a MacBook Air running a free copy of Windows via Bootcamp, meaning that Mac users should have to spend exactly $0 (other than the cost of the test itself, of course) to get their computers ready for the At-Home GRE.

Hopefully the Interim GMAT is the same.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 06 Apr 2020, 17:42.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Apr 2020, 17:48, edited 3 times in total.
Board of Directors
D
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 17:46
Top Contributor
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 17:46
Jfd wrote:
Just got a message from PearsonVue canceling my late april appointment.. hope the GMAT at home will be put in place shortly!

I also just got an Email that they've cancelled my April 18th exam. It was in Boston, which was kind of expected.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 17:50
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Funny you should mention...I took the At-Home GRE as an experiment myself just last night, in fact! My main recommendation is to make sure that you have a strong internet connection, preferably a wired ethernet connection, because I had a wireless connection that kept getting "disconnected," turning what should have been a 4-hour test into a 6-hour ordeal of getting booted from the test and trying to re-establish a connection with the proctor / restart the test from where I left off. I even had to reboot my entire computer twice and log back into the test through my ProctorU account, where luckily, my work was saved up until the point of disconnection.

The good news, though, is that I got it to work on a MacBook Air running a free copy of Windows via Bootcamp, meaning that Mac users should have to spend exactly $0 (other than the cost of the test itself, of course) to get their computers ready for the At-Home GRE.

Thanks for the update. Very good points to know.
Do you know what's your internet bandwidth?
Beside the internet disconnection, how did you like the experience? Any noticeable difference compared to at-center GRE?
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 17:59
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

mcelroytutoring :- Thanks for the points. Though Can you clarify these points :-

i) When you rebooted or when you lost the connection, how was Proctor still able to monitor you? I mean there should be someway they can monitor you when you are in the midst of the test right?

ii) Did you face any issues/distractions from the Proctor during the test?

iii) Were you allowed to move from your place? And what about the breaks? Do we need to be in front of camera all the time? As in, in the test center you have someone watching you. You are not allowed to take a look at the notes etc.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 18:50
Top Contributor
shameekv1989 wrote:
i) When you rebooted or when you lost the connection, how was Proctor still able to monitor you? I mean there should be someway they can monitor you when you are in the midst of the test right?

Obviously, when I rebooted my computer, the webcam briefly shut off and the proctor was not able to monitor me. However, I was anxious to reboot and log back in, so I was only "off camera" for a few minutes, but no, I was not monitored the entire time.

shameekv1989 wrote:

No, not at all. The proctors (I had 3 of them) were barely noticeable and would talk to you at the very beginning (both through the computer audio and the chat feature), and that was about it.

shameekv1989 wrote:
iii) Were you allowed to move from your place? And what about the breaks? Do we need to be in front of camera all the time? As in, in the test center you have someone watching you. You are not allowed to take a look at the notes etc.

Yes, you need to be in front of the camera the entire time other than the 10-minute break, and show the proctor all 4 corners of your room and your entire desk area. My daughter has a bookshelf that he made me cover with a bedsheet.

At the end of the exam, you have to erase your whiteboard in view of the proctor.
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 19:04
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Obviously, when I rebooted my computer, the webcam briefly shut off and the proctor was not able to monitor me. However, I was anxious to reboot and log back in, so I was only "off camera" for a few minutes, but no, I was not monitored the entire time.

shameekv1989 wrote:

No, not at all. The proctors (I had 3 of them) were barely noticeable and would talk to you at the very beginning (both through the computer audio and the chat feature), and that was about it.

shameekv1989 wrote:

Yes, you need to be in front of the camera the entire time other than the 10-minute break, and show the proctor all 4 corners of your room and your entire desk area. My daughter has a bookshelf that he made me cover with a bedsheet.

At the end of the exam, you have to erase your whiteboard in view of the proctor.

Are there any guidelines/time limits by which one needs to be back in the system logged in if one loses the connection? What if I lose an internet connection and not being able to connect back? How long would they wait for me to reconnect? Is there anything stated by ETS, on how they would address such issues?

I ask because in some countries/places, it is common to lose electricity/ internet connection for a long time.
Wharton Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 04:09
While I have not taken the GRE using ProctorU, I have taken a few online classes that used ProctorU for the exams and can share my experience with it.

To take the test with ProctorU, you have to have a computer or laptop that has a webcam and strong internet connection. I remember having to show the proctor, my laptop screen by holding it up to a mirror, having to show all four corners of the room, and my sitting arrangement. In addition, they initiated remote access of my computer so they could check for any programs etc that might be running. Once that is all done, you can sit down and take the exam.

Personally, I hated this experience as I was much more conscious of the fact that someone was watching me the entire time, and I was extra cautious of where my hands were at any point to ensure that they proctor did not think I was cheating. Also I had to worry about where my wife was at any given time because you were not allowed to have any other person in the room with you. Honestly, if given a choice, I would prefer to take the test in a testing center as ironically I would feel more comfortable and relaxed there vs at home with someone watching me the entire time.

Happy to answer any questions or clarify anything. Best of luck to those taking the test.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 05:14
xprometheusx wrote:
While I have not taken the GRE using ProctorU, I have taken a few online classes that used ProctorU for the exams and can share my experience with it.

To take the test with ProctorU, you have to have a computer or laptop that has a webcam and strong internet connection. I remember having to show the proctor, my laptop screen by holding it up to a mirror, having to show all four corners of the room, and my sitting arrangement. In addition, they initiated remote access of my computer so they could check for any programs etc that might be running. Once that is all done, you can sit down and take the exam.

Personally, I hated this experience as I was much more conscious of the fact that someone was watching me the entire time, and I was extra cautious of where my hands were at any point to ensure that they proctor did not think I was cheating. Also I had to worry about where my wife was at any given time because you were not allowed to have any other person in the room with you. Honestly, if given a choice, I would prefer to take the test in a testing center as ironically I would feel more comfortable and relaxed there vs at home with someone watching me the entire time.

Happy to answer any questions or clarify anything. Best of luck to those taking the test.

Hi,

Could you explain what would be the alternative to the scratchpad for the online version of the exam? Could we use an empty notebook ?

Thanks
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 09:03
ZM308 wrote:
Jfd wrote:

I also just got an Email that they've cancelled my April 18th exam. It was in Boston, which was kind of expected.

Tried to reschedule (again) and the first available date in Montreal is mid-june, which would imply that any round 3 admission would be off the table for me...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2020, 09:03

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  97    Next  [ 1923 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep