Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
hey guys,
does anybody know when booking for online gmat will open? it looks like there are no news yet
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Giacomino98 wrote:
hey guys,
does anybody know when booking for online gmat will open? it looks like there are no news yet

The website says that the registration will open by end of April. I am waiting to hear some news as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
shameekv1989 wrote:
Giacomino98 wrote:
hey guys,

The website says that the registration will open by end of April. I am waiting to hear some news as well.

How useful will that be in India then? our lockdown will open by mid/end of this month anyway..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kritisood wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
Giacomino98 wrote:
hey guys,

How useful will that be in India then? our lockdown will open by mid/end of this month anyway..

It does not appear that GMAC announced the registration date for the GMAT. It seems that the registration date at the end of April only refers to the Online Executive Assessment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Just got a message from PearsonVue canceling my late april appointment.. hope the GMAT at home will be put in place shortly!

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The fact that another week has passed with no real updates from GMAC is concerning to say the least. I would assume that the employees there are in the process of accepting bids from the various online proctoring companies, coding the software for the exam itself, debating the price point for the "interim" GMAT without AWA (team $195!), and transitioning to work-at-home orders like 95% of us in the US (and worldwide).

Meanwhile, the At-Home GRE has been running--if not smoothly--for the last few weeks.
Director
Director
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
The fact that another week has passed with no real updates from GMAC is concerning to say the least. I would assume that the employees there are in the process of accepting bids from the various online proctoring companies, coding the software for the exam itself, debating the price point for the "interim" GMAT without AWA (team $195!), and transitioning to work-at-home orders like 95% of us in the US (and worldwide).

Meanwhile, the At-Home GRE has been running--if not smoothly--for the last few weeks.

mcelroytutoring
Have you heard of any experiences from GRE people who have given At-Home tests? And if so, how has it been so far? Any particular issues that you have heard might be good to know?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shameekv1989 wrote:
Have you heard of any experiences from GRE people who have given At-Home tests? And if so, how has it been so far? Any particular issues that you have heard might be good to know?

Funny you should mention...I took the At-Home GRE as an experiment myself just last night, in fact! My main recommendation is to make sure that you have a strong internet connection, preferably a wired ethernet connection, because I had a wireless connection that kept getting "disconnected," turning what should have been a 4-hour test into a 6-hour ordeal of getting booted from the test and trying to re-establish a connection with the proctor / restart the test from where I left off. I even had to reboot my entire computer twice and log back into the test through my ProctorU account, where luckily, my work was saved up until the point of disconnection.

The good news, though, is that I got it to work on a MacBook Air running a free copy of Windows via Bootcamp, meaning that Mac users should have to spend exactly $0 (other than the cost of the test itself, of course) to get their computers ready for the At-Home GRE.

Hopefully the Interim GMAT is the same.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 06 Apr 2020, 18:42.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Apr 2020, 18:48, edited 3 times in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32865 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Top Contributor
True . Good news for MAC users.

However, people reported during the exam: chat freezing and several re-boots
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Jfd wrote:
Just got a message from PearsonVue canceling my late april appointment.. hope the GMAT at home will be put in place shortly!

I also just got an Email that they've cancelled my April 18th exam. It was in Boston, which was kind of expected.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Funny you should mention...I took the At-Home GRE as an experiment myself just last night, in fact! My main recommendation is to make sure that you have a strong internet connection, preferably a wired ethernet connection, because I had a wireless connection that kept getting "disconnected," turning what should have been a 4-hour test into a 6-hour ordeal of getting booted from the test and trying to re-establish a connection with the proctor / restart the test from where I left off. I even had to reboot my entire computer twice and log back into the test through my ProctorU account, where luckily, my work was saved up until the point of disconnection.

The good news, though, is that I got it to work on a MacBook Air running a free copy of Windows via Bootcamp, meaning that Mac users should have to spend exactly $0 (other than the cost of the test itself, of course) to get their computers ready for the At-Home GRE.

Thanks for the update. Very good points to know.
Do you know what's your internet bandwidth?
Beside the internet disconnection, how did you like the experience? Any noticeable difference compared to at-center GRE?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

mcelroytutoring :- Thanks for the points. Though Can you clarify these points :-

i) When you rebooted or when you lost the connection, how was Proctor still able to monitor you? I mean there should be someway they can monitor you when you are in the midst of the test right?

ii) Did you face any issues/distractions from the Proctor during the test?

iii) Were you allowed to move from your place? And what about the breaks? Do we need to be in front of camera all the time? As in, in the test center you have someone watching you. You are not allowed to take a look at the notes etc.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shameekv1989 wrote:
i) When you rebooted or when you lost the connection, how was Proctor still able to monitor you? I mean there should be someway they can monitor you when you are in the midst of the test right?

Obviously, when I rebooted my computer, the webcam briefly shut off and the proctor was not able to monitor me. However, I was anxious to reboot and log back in, so I was only "off camera" for a few minutes, but no, I was not monitored the entire time.

shameekv1989 wrote:

No, not at all. The proctors (I had 3 of them) were barely noticeable and would talk to you at the very beginning (both through the computer audio and the chat feature), and that was about it.

shameekv1989 wrote:
iii) Were you allowed to move from your place? And what about the breaks? Do we need to be in front of camera all the time? As in, in the test center you have someone watching you. You are not allowed to take a look at the notes etc.

Yes, you need to be in front of the camera the entire time other than the 10-minute break, and show the proctor all 4 corners of your room and your entire desk area. My daughter has a bookshelf that he made me cover with a bedsheet.

At the end of the exam, you have to erase your whiteboard in view of the proctor.
Director
Director
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Obviously, when I rebooted my computer, the webcam briefly shut off and the proctor was not able to monitor me. However, I was anxious to reboot and log back in, so I was only "off camera" for a few minutes, but no, I was not monitored the entire time.

shameekv1989 wrote:

No, not at all. The proctors (I had 3 of them) were barely noticeable and would talk to you at the very beginning (both through the computer audio and the chat feature), and that was about it.

shameekv1989 wrote:

Yes, you need to be in front of the camera the entire time other than the 10-minute break, and show the proctor all 4 corners of your room and your entire desk area. My daughter has a bookshelf that he made me cover with a bedsheet.

At the end of the exam, you have to erase your whiteboard in view of the proctor.

Are there any guidelines/time limits by which one needs to be back in the system logged in if one loses the connection? What if I lose an internet connection and not being able to connect back? How long would they wait for me to reconnect? Is there anything stated by ETS, on how they would address such issues?

I ask because in some countries/places, it is common to lose electricity/ internet connection for a long time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
Kudos
While I have not taken the GRE using ProctorU, I have taken a few online classes that used ProctorU for the exams and can share my experience with it.

To take the test with ProctorU, you have to have a computer or laptop that has a webcam and strong internet connection. I remember having to show the proctor, my laptop screen by holding it up to a mirror, having to show all four corners of the room, and my sitting arrangement. In addition, they initiated remote access of my computer so they could check for any programs etc that might be running. Once that is all done, you can sit down and take the exam.

Personally, I hated this experience as I was much more conscious of the fact that someone was watching me the entire time, and I was extra cautious of where my hands were at any point to ensure that they proctor did not think I was cheating. Also I had to worry about where my wife was at any given time because you were not allowed to have any other person in the room with you. Honestly, if given a choice, I would prefer to take the test in a testing center as ironically I would feel more comfortable and relaxed there vs at home with someone watching me the entire time.

Happy to answer any questions or clarify anything. Best of luck to those taking the test.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
xprometheusx wrote:
While I have not taken the GRE using ProctorU, I have taken a few online classes that used ProctorU for the exams and can share my experience with it.

To take the test with ProctorU, you have to have a computer or laptop that has a webcam and strong internet connection. I remember having to show the proctor, my laptop screen by holding it up to a mirror, having to show all four corners of the room, and my sitting arrangement. In addition, they initiated remote access of my computer so they could check for any programs etc that might be running. Once that is all done, you can sit down and take the exam.

Personally, I hated this experience as I was much more conscious of the fact that someone was watching me the entire time, and I was extra cautious of where my hands were at any point to ensure that they proctor did not think I was cheating. Also I had to worry about where my wife was at any given time because you were not allowed to have any other person in the room with you. Honestly, if given a choice, I would prefer to take the test in a testing center as ironically I would feel more comfortable and relaxed there vs at home with someone watching me the entire time.

Happy to answer any questions or clarify anything. Best of luck to those taking the test.

Hi,

Could you explain what would be the alternative to the scratchpad for the online version of the exam? Could we use an empty notebook ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
ZM308 wrote:
Jfd wrote:

I also just got an Email that they've cancelled my April 18th exam. It was in Boston, which was kind of expected.

Tried to reschedule (again) and the first available date is mid-june, which would imply that any round 3 admission would be off the table for me...

Originally posted by Jfd on 07 Apr 2020, 10:03.
Last edited by Jfd on 21 Aug 2020, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  183