Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 07 Jun 2020, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Board of Directors
D
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 02:02
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
Thanks again Ari!

Looks like GRE at home starts tomorrow, Fri March 27th. Is anyone taking the GRE soon? Would love to get a perspective and feedback about the test. Let know if you are taking it within a week!

It seems it will tKe 10-15 days to get a score. Anyone know why it takes that long?

All notes must be taken on an erasable surface. (I was wondering about that).

It seems photos will be shared with the schools. That’s the case with GMAT too but I always forget that.

Posted from my mobile device

And before ending the exam you MUST delete in front of the proctor.

:blushing
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 03:25
carcass wrote:
bb wrote:
Thanks again Ari!

Looks like GRE at home starts tomorrow, Fri March 27th. Is anyone taking the GRE soon? Would love to get a perspective and feedback about the test. Let know if you are taking it within a week!

It seems it will tKe 10-15 days to get a score. Anyone know why it takes that long?

It seems photos will be shared with the schools. That’s the case with GMAT too but I always forget that.

And before ending the exam you MUST delete in front of the proctor.

:blushing

I think that you can view your unofficial scores right after the exam but the official scores with AWA scores are only available in 10-15 days. Scores will be sent to the schools 5 days after the exam but may take 10-15 days to reach.
I gave a GRE mock and it asked me to report the scores or cancel it. Interesting thing to note was that you can not see your score before canceling it so you have to decide on how you performed during the test unlike GMAT where you can see the score and then decide.

Not sure if you get an unofficial score report as you do in GMAT.

I think I will be taking it in the next 2 weeks depending on availability. Almost 50% of the verbal test is RC. Adcoms are already encouraging me to take the home edition GRE test. Almost everyone I reached out to has replied with that in the emails.
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 03:29
Top Contributor
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 05:16
To be honest, I find it laughable that GMAC is willing to risk the integrity of their scores and question database for some short term gain ($$).

If someone wants to record questions, this will happen regardless of the measures in place. I can easily place a camera inside a closet or something and the instructor will not be able to see it, for example. Also, notes made during the test can easily be reconstructed to questions.
I guess there will be limited pool of questions in the new/temporary internet based GMAT test, because of the risk of publication of official test questions? In that case, it will only be a matter of time before you can find the official questions on the internet.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 08:16
bb wrote:
Thanks again Ari!

I have updated the main post with the link to the video recording of the actual webinar. I received an email with the link of the same. People can go and watch it to get more details and answers to viewers specific qs.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 08:56
In the PPT shared, in the page 4, last point ETS says "The score report does not indicate how the test was delivered. Scores should be treated the same regardless of delivery method"
I infer from this statement of ETS that there will not be any indication whatsoever on the score report that the exam was taken online. Also I can infer that the online test will have same validity (5 years period) and credibility in the eyes of admission committees, as it's difficult to identify that the test is delivered online.
What are your predictions for the GMAT? Will GMAC give the same validity (5 years)? Will the B-schools see it any differently? (since missing AWA and Nomenclature of "Interim GMAT" will make it easier for the B-Schools to distinguish.) :?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 09:07
What are your predictions for the GMAT? Will GMAC give the same validity (5 years)? Will the B-schools see it any differently? (since missing AWA and Nomenclature of "Interim GMAT" will make it easier for the B-Schools to distinguish.)

To continue my argument (CR type analysis)

Which Test taker would buy such an inferior product from GMAC? Rather he/she would wait for his/her turn to attend the test centre-based test?

So, to compete with ETS in the market, what justifies GMAC's decision to offer an inferior "interim" product? I would call it an interim (inferior) product as it removes the AWA section which is still part of original GMAT, unless GMAC removes AWA from test centre exams too (wherever the exam is conducted in centres as of now).

So, unless GMAC makes this interim product stand up next to the original as indistinguishable, the goal of GMAC to capture or expand it's market will not materialize. It is like an MBA program offering an MBA degree with "ONLINE" tag on the diploma over an Online MBA program delivering the indistinguishable MBA (like it's full-time program) - always a more attractive proposition.

Any thoughts into the plan-goal framework mindset of GMAC???
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 09:11
Who are the 'score recipients'? Do the recipients entail the universities to which a person taking the GRE sends the test scores to? If the video/ images is sent to these recipients, won't they ( the schools) already know that the exam has taken place at home and not at a test centre?
Attachments

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 10.36.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 10.36.11 PM.png [ 333.89 KiB | Viewed 1898 times ]

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.98
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Mar 2020, 21:15
Hey guys, just to update everyone who does not know already, GMAT is geared up to conduct an at-home online test from mid April.

The excerpt from mba.com is as follows:-

"Interim GMAT™ Exam - Available Online Mid-April
We all recognize this is a challenging time for testing with test center closures around the world. To help you, we are preparing an alternative GMAT™ exam available online.

This interim GMAT exam will provide a comparable structure, number of items, and scoring as delivered in test centers. The Quant, Verbal and IR sections (no AWA section) will have the same number of items and the same time for completion. This will allow us to maintain the same score scale for both the Section Scores and Total Score.

The check-in and security protocols will be modified to accommodate online delivery and remote proctors will be used to manage test integrity.

The alternative test will be available in impacted markets, outside of mainland China. GMAC is continuing to work with the Chinese government authorities to present appropriate, alternative solutions for test takers in mainland China.

In light of the current unprecedented situation, this interim solution will be offered at a lower price point than the standard GMAT exam to support our test takers and schools during this difficult time.

Additional details coming soon. "

Now, since there is no AWA section in this version, how are those schools which require the AWA section mandatorily going about this version? For instance, LBS has clearly written in its MIM application that candidates are required to submit their AWA scores.

Originally posted by willacethis on 27 Mar 2020, 19:48.
Last edited by willacethis on 28 Mar 2020, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 21:01
Moderator note: split off the GRE discussion into a separate topic:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gre-at-home- ... 19619.html
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 21:04
Actually very few programs have allowed applicants to skip AWA or IR sections. Pretty much 100% of the MBA programs did, so it is not anything "special" that LBS requires it per se for the MiM or other degrees. I am afraid they can't have it at the moment and I am sure that they, like the other 1,000 MBA programs in the world will relax their requirements for the AWA during these times for as long as GMAT at Home exists and does not include the AWA.... I would not worry about it for now ;)

willacethis wrote:
Hey guys, just to update everyone who does not know already, GMAT is geared up to conduct an at-home online test from mid April.

The excerpt from mba.com is as follows:-

"Interim GMAT™ Exam - Available Online Mid-April
We all recognize this is a challenging time for testing with test center closures around the world. To help you, we are preparing an alternative GMAT™ exam available online.

This interim GMAT exam will provide a comparable structure, number of items, and scoring as delivered in test centers. The Quant, Verbal and IR sections (no AWA section) will have the same number of items and the same time for completion. This will allow us to maintain the same score scale for both the Section Scores and Total Score.

The check-in and security protocols will be modified to accommodate online delivery and remote proctors will be used to manage test integrity.

The alternative test will be available in impacted markets, outside of mainland China. GMAC is continuing to work with the Chinese government authorities to present appropriate, alternative solutions for test takers in mainland China.

In light of the current unprecedented situation, this interim solution will be offered at a lower price point than the standard GMAT exam to support our test takers and schools during this difficult time.

Additional details coming soon. "

Now, since there is no AWA section in this version, how are those schools which require the AWA section mandatorily going about this version? For instance, LBS, has clearly written in its MIM application that candidates are required to submit their AWA scores.

V

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 21:07
Score recipients are the Universities/Schools that you designate during the test or after to receive your score.

Yes, they will see on the images and the video that you are taking the test at home. (The test will also be marked with a code to indicate that it was taken at home for GMAT BUT not marked for GRE). I presume/suspect that the reason GRE are sending the images and video is for admissions committee to just have that in case they wanted it for reference just in case. I am not sure really why they would need to reference it. I think it is mostly to make the admissions committee feel better it was a "clean" test.... just a guess. But also I guess you are arguing correctly that it is irrelevant that the GRE is not marked that it was taken at home - the AdCom will see it on the video or just the mere fact that the test score/report includes a big video attached to it would indicate it is a home-made test :)

770GMAT wrote:
Who are the 'score recipients'? Do the recipients entail the universities to which a person taking the GRE sends the test scores to? If the video/ images is sent to these recipients, won't they ( the schools) already know that the exam has taken place at home and not at a test centre?

B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 21:12
Assuming that R1 dates don’t change- for Indian B schools and the world’s, is it a good decision to take the at home GMAT? Or push the GMAT to May end and hope centres have opened by then?

I wish to apply to R1 in Indian B schools

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 21:16
Sorry I have missed all the good ideas from yesterday.... I think GMAC is making it sound like it is an interim solution and it is not here to stay. They will do it for as long as they have to but as soon as test centers reopen or there is a date when they will reopen, GMAC will likely cancel this interim idea. The test scores however will be valid and my guess they will remain valid for 5 years like the other previously taken tests. There is no reason to make them shorter validity.... I don't see any reason at least.

However, if one has been studying for the GMAT for a few months and they are ready to take it, I would take the Interim GMAT. I think waiting and idling will be frustrating and has a pretty chance eating into one's score. The reason GMAC is doing it is that:
1) there are large numbers of people who are ready and willing to take the test
2) they actually don't know how long the pandemic will last and this is the best interim solution they can think of. Worst case for them, the test centers reopen before they introduce this thing and they don't have to introduce it

Mayor wrote:
What are your predictions for the GMAT? Will GMAC give the same validity (5 years)? Will the B-schools see it any differently? (since missing AWA and Nomenclature of "Interim GMAT" will make it easier for the B-Schools to distinguish.)

To continue my argument (CR type analysis)

Which Test taker would buy such an inferior product from GMAC? Rather he/she would wait for his/her turn to attend the test centre-based test?

So, to compete with ETS in the market, what justifies GMAC's decision to offer an inferior "interim" product? I would call it an interim (inferior) product as it removes the AWA section which is still part of original GMAT, unless GMAC removes AWA from test centre exams too (wherever the exam is conducted in centres as of now).

So, unless GMAC makes this interim product stand up next to the original as indistinguishable, the goal of GMAC to capture or expand it's market will not materialize. It is like an MBA program offering an MBA degree with "ONLINE" tag on the diploma over an Online MBA program delivering the indistinguishable MBA (like it's full-time program) - always a more attractive proposition.

Any thoughts into the plan-goal framework mindset of GMAC???

V

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 21:21
If you are ready, you should take the test. I would not delay due to the location/format.

P.S. India is not one of the countries that is on the list for GRE at this time for the GMAT at Home (though I suspect it will likely be an option sometime in April) but I hope it will be on the GMAT's list.

Bhavz10 wrote:
Assuming that R1 dates don’t change- for Indian B schools and the world’s, is it a good decision to take the at home GMAT? Or push the GMAT to May end and hope centres have opened by then?

B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 3
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 02:16
Hi all! do you have any idea on what "interim" means in this case?
Interim - the process or the score? I hope one does not have to retake the test at real test centre later anyways
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 06:46
bb wrote:
If you are ready, you should take the test. I would not delay due to the location/format.

P.S. India is not one of the countries that is on the list for GRE at this time for the GMAT at Home (though I suspect it will likely be an option sometime in April) but I hope it will be on the GMAT's list.

Bhavz10 wrote:

GMAC will do include India for the so called ' interim GMAT ' in the list ( unlike GRE ) I have got the information from one of the top GMAT US instructor in Reddit but no one knows clearly how much value or weight-age 'll be given compared to usual test center GMAT . Though ETS has told that for GRE , they will not differentiate anything Home GRE with Usual GRE but for GMAT absence of AWA will give a notion to school that it's ' Interim GMAT ' . So as an honest test taker I can not compromise with the value of exam. If there will be less value given , less students will seat for definitely .

Official Mocks 1 : 710
Official Mocks 2 : 670
Official Mocks 3 : 590
Official Mocks 5 : 710
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 07:37
A self-proclaimed top instructor on reddit is not a reliable source :-) it may be true but it is not because some on reddit said it..... Nothing has been shared about the locations the GMAT will be a available at or not available at except Greater China will be excluded (my guess due to laws). I too hope that it is included by omission. Ideally I would get an official confirmation.

soumya170293 wrote:
bb wrote:

Bhavz10 wrote:

GMAC will do include India for the so called ' interim GMAT ' in the list ( unlike GRE ) I have got the information from one of the top GMAT US instructor in Reddit but no one knows clearly how much value or weight-age 'll be given compared to usual test center GMAT . Though ETS has told that for GRE , they will not differentiate anything Home GRE with Usual GRE but for GMAT absence of AWA will give a notion to school that it's ' Interim GMAT ' . So as an honest test taker I can not compromise with the value of exam. If there will be less value given , less students will seat for definitely .

V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 07:44
BoburMirzo26 wrote:
Hi all! do you have any idea on what "interim" means in this case?
Interim - the process or the score? I hope one does not have to retake the test at real test centre later anyways

Interim solution while the test centers are closed and the Shelter in Place orders are in effect. It will not be available once the test centers reopen.

P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Mar 2020, 11:31
Top Contributor
I also plan to take the GMAT at home (GMAT attempt #6!) on my MacBook Air with Windows 10 installed on a 36 GB hard-drive partition via Bootcamp, as well as the At-Home GRE using the same method, with a PC laptop as a backup just in case.

I will get back to you if there are any compatibility / tech issues--if not, then I will post a step-by-step "how to" for all the Mac users out there.

I find it hard to believe that this "interim" solution will not end up becoming permanent...

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 29 Mar 2020, 11:03.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 29 Mar 2020, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2020, 11:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  67    Next  [ 1336 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep