|All Reviews > willacethis's Reviews|
Joined: Jan 18, 2018
650 Q49 V30
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by post count [?]
Before I started using the E-gmat's verbal live prep course, I had used Magoosh premium subscription, manhattan verbal guides, and the Powerscore CR bible for my verbal preparation, so basically, I had a fair idea of the content tested in the verbal section.
I was scoring in the low 30(s) on the official mock tests. However, I was almost never confident about my answers in SC, I was stuck between 2 choices for almost 40% of 600 level questions questions and almost all 700 questions, and I was usually lost during the RC section.
For someone who had basic knowledge about the content but who struggled to apply those concepts, my set of pros and cons for the course are as follows:-
1. E-gmat has absolutely nailed the idea of what GMAT wants to test. The meaning based approach in every element of the test is what one needs to perform better on the test and E-gmat's course is built on that idea. After taking the course, I started primarily focusing on taking my time and comprehending the information that was presented to me and I can't stress on how important that is, especially on the harder questions.
2. The structured approach by E-gmat for every section provides you with a toolkit to attack any type of question with confidence. It is very essential to have a strategy for individual question types to avoid last-minute hiccups, to be confident about your preparation, and to save some precious time.
3. The course is very comprehensive. I have never seen a course that is nearly as comprehensive as E-gmat when it comes to SC. They have dealt with almost everything that can be tested.
4. Brilliant instructors who know how to impart their knowledge to you.
5. The course is optimized for non-natives and it is very helpful to build your verbal (and English in some cases) knowledge for the GMAT and the world beyond that.
6. Seamless live classes which were very interactive.
7. In the course, there was a section about how to read stuff on the GMAT. It can be a game changer was those who need to channelize their brain for the GMAT and leave behind some counterproductive reading habits. For instance, as someone who has only taken Indian competitive exam, I was highly motivated to skim through the RC passages and finish reading them as soon as possible. E-gmat certainly helped me to break this habit and to read the GMAT way.
8. The scholaranium has some great GMAT-like questions to practice.
9. Value for money.
10. E-gmat provides you with amazing, personalized strategy to prepare for the test and to approach the test on the D-day.
1. As someone who was already scoring in the 30s, who had basic idea of the content, and who had solved and deeply analysed some 150 questions in the verbal official guides, I don't think the live sessions added much value to me. The idea was to do some questions live using the E-gmat approach and to build the discussion on them. However, in all the sessions, I thought that the fact that I already registered while going through the online course or had practiced while solving a scolaranium question was reinstated. If you resonate with my type of profile, I highly recommend that you go for the online verbal course rather than the live prep course. However, if you are struggling with the foundational knowledge, you should go for the latter.
2. As per my experience, the query resolution system on the E-gmat forum is not very robust. I would give a shoutout to Magoosh here for almost always resolving my question with a very comprehensive solution within 24 hours. I don't know if it happened just with me but the queries I wrote on e-gmat forum were solved in a week or more, and once, a query was resolved after a month.
Verdict: I think the pros of the course far-outweigh the cons and I don't regret my investment in the course at all. If you are thinking about the current verbal score I hold, it is solely because of how I deviated from the devised strategy on the test-day because of test anxiety and not at all because of anything provided by E-gmat.