Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Schools: Ivey
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make co [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Rouna,

The second ‘computers’ is a resumptive modifier of the first ‘computers’. Therefore, there is no difference between them. That is not an issue here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make co [#permalink]
Kudos
What I think of this question is that It test use of AS vs LIKE.
Here situation is futuristic in nature so we go for LIKE.
So option A and B out.
Now among the remaining options C,D,And E, D and E are redundant for use of WHETHER so my choice Will be C.
Expert can you correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
WinWinMBA wrote:
Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make computers that can understand English and other human languages, recognize objects, and reason as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these.

Quote:
(A) as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these

There are quite a few things wrong with the option A. I definitely wouldn't frame a good sentence with "such as these" to refer back to examples?
Parallelism issue between diagnose and deciding. And then computer think like an expert. The usage of does is inappropriate here.

Quote:
(B) as an expert does, which may be used for purposes such as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

The same problem as A from Option A. Now we have a new problem caused by "which". What is "which" referring to?

Quote:
(C) like an expert—computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

So the problem with initial half is solved. We clearly have computers used for such purposes. looks Solid.

Quote:
(D) like an expert, the use of which would be for purposes like the diagnosis of equipment breakdowns or the decision whether or not a loan should be authorized

I mean come on. We all should know by now that "Like" is not used to introduce examples in GMAT and "whether or not" is redundant.

Quote:
(E) like an expert, to be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan or not, or the like

I would just say it is a hot mess. Look for errors highlighted.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
WinWinMBA wrote:
Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make computers that can understand English and other human languages, recognize objects, and reason as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these.

(A) as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these

(B) as an expert does, which may be used for purposes such as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

(C) like an expert—computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

(D) like an expert, the use of which would be for purposes like the diagnosis of equipment breakdowns or the decision whether or not a loan should be authorized

(E) like an expert, to be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan or not, or the like

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 189: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition, 2009

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 95
Page: 263

My Take****
(A) as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these (as for comparison is wrong)

(B) as an expert does, which may be used for purposes such as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan (as for comparison is wrong)

(C) like an expert—computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan (correct Like for comparison and such as for list/ examples)

(D) like an expert, the use of which would be for purposes like the diagnosis of equipment breakdowns or the decision whether or not a loan should be authorized (never use like for giving examples)

(E) like an expert, to be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan or not, or the like (Construction is awkward)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM

Meaning: computer could reason as an expert could do. This computer will be used for many purposes

(A) as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these - parallel issue

(B) as an expert does, which may be used for purposes such as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan - not sure which refer to

(C) like an expert—computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan absolute phrase. OK

(D) like an expert, the use of which would be for purposes like the diagnosis of equipment breakdowns or the decision whether or not a loan should be authorized - not clear which refers to what

(E) like an expert, to be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan or not, or the like - parallel issue

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 189: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

[textarea] Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition, 2009[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make co [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
We’ve had a few QOTDs lately that feature dashes, including this one. We also discussed dashes in this YouTube webinar on GMAT punctuation. The short version: for the most part, you really don’t want to worry too much about the dashes, since the presence or absence of a dash will almost never be the deciding factor on actual GMAT questions. There are almost always more important things going on in GMAT SC questions that include dashes – and this one is no exception.

Quote:
(A) as an expert does--computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these

If you completely ignore the dash, you can still eliminate (A) quickly and easily. The word “or” is a parallelism trigger, suggesting that we have a list of several items, and those items need to be structurally and logically parallel.

But in this case, they definitely aren’t parallel: “computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these…” That’s a hot mess: “to diagnose” is a verb, “deciding” is presumably a noun (gerund), and “other purposes” is also a noun… but even then, it seems like we would need a “for” in front of “other purposes.” Clearly a mess, and that’s enough to eliminate (A).

A far less important issue: the phrase “such as these” seems like a waste of words. I don’t think it’s WRONG, exactly, and I wouldn’t eliminate (A) based on that issue alone. But it’s not awesome.

For whatever it’s worth: I’m OK in principle with the beginning of the underlined portion. The word “does” has plenty of uses in English, but in this case (and in this one), it basically replaces a verb (sort of like a pronoun, but for verbs). So we have “…computers that can… reason as an expert [reasons].” That makes sense.

I’m also OK with the use of the dash, just in case you’re wondering about that, too. The stuff after the dash just gives us a more detailed description of the computer. Fair enough.

Anyway, the parallelism issue IS a really big problem, so (A) is definitely out.

Quote:

The parallelism is better in (B): “purposes such as diagnosingor deciding…” Looks much better than (A)!

The problem is the word “which.” In most cases, “which” begins a phrase that modifies the preceding noun – or, at the very least, a noun that’s in really, really close proximity to the phrase beginning with “which.” And in this case, “which may be used for purpose such as diagnosing equipment breakdowns…” seems to be modifying “as an expert does”, and that makes no sense at all. The phrase beginning with “which” needs to describe the computer, not the phrase “as an expert does.”

So (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(C) like an expert--computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

The parallelism is also really good in (C): “purposes such as diagnosingor deciding…” Great. And as discussed in (A) above, the dash is also completely fine, since the thing that follows is just a nice description of the computer.

You might be wondering about the use of “like” here. And as you probably know, “like” is generally used to compare two nouns on the GMAT, and “as” is used in situations like these to compare two nouns performing two actions. Consider the following:

1. Like a moldy piece of fruit, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → correct, since the noun “a moldy piece of fruit” is being compared with another noun, “Donald Trump”, and “like” compares two nouns

2. Like a moldy piece of fruit does, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → wrong, since the sentence is now structured as “like (noun verb), (noun verb)”, so we’re comparing two clauses (i.e., two nouns with two verbs) – and “like” can only compare two nouns, not two clauses

3. As a moldy piece of fruit does, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → correct, since we can use “as” to compare two clauses (two nouns with two verbs)… even if it sounds kinda goofy

So it turns out that the use of “like” in (C) is fine: we’re comparing “computers” with “an expert”, and both of those things are nouns, as they are in example #1. (Note that the use of “as” in (A) was also acceptable, because “as” was used to compare two nouns with two verbs: “computers can reason… as an expert does…” That's the same setup as example #3.)

Anyway, I don’t see any problems in (C), so let’s keep it.

Quote:

The first “like” is fine (“like an expert”), as discussed in the explanation for (C). The second “like”, however, is a problem: the GMAT generally frowns upon the use of “like” to introduce examples, and “such as” is generally preferred. (At least one official exception exists, but “like” is used to introduce examples in all five answer choices, so it’s a non-issue in that case. In every official question that gives us a choice between “like” and “such as”, “such as” is correct.)

There are other problems with (D). The phrase “whether or not” is generally considered redundant on the GMAT, and has never appeared in a correct answer, at least not to my knowledge. There’s also a modifier placement problem: the phrase “the use of which…” seems to modify “an expert”, and that makes no sense, since “an expert” is not being used for “the diagnosis of equipment.”

So we have plenty of good reasons to get rid of (D).

Quote:

This one is a hot mess. “Whether or not” is generally considered redundant, as we mentioned in (D). “Or the like” makes no sense at all, and I can’t imagine that the GMAT would ever be OK with that phrase. And the parallelism is spectacularly bad: “to be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan or not, or the like.”

So we can eliminate (E), and we’re stuck with (C).

Hi Charles GMATNinja,
I am very much clear with your explanation, however in your analysis u have given an example:-
As a moldy piece of fruit does, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → correct,

Is this really correct or should we write - As a moldy piece of fruit has, Donald Trump has fine orange hair.

Also, can you please clarify when we could use do/did to refer the previous verb & when we have to use the have/had/will etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Send PM
a) Computers that can reason as an expert does
vs
b) Computers that can reason like an expert
How to know what is being compared to what?
option (a) seems fine to me computer that can reason as an expert can reason
option (b) looks little less appealing (what are we comparing computers that can reason to expert?) we can argue that like is used to compare nouns so it compares computer to an expert.
But I always end up getting confused, Experts please help.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
visheshgarg01 wrote:
a) Computers that can reason as an expert does
vs
b) Computers that can reason like an expert
How to know what is being compared to what?
option (a) seems fine to me computer that can reason as an expert can reason
option (b) looks little less appealing (what are we comparing computers that can reason to expert?) we can argue that like is used to compare nouns so it compares computer to an expert.
But I always end up getting confused, Experts please help.

Your understanding seems to be on a solid footing Vishesh! Both as and like are correct in this sentence.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses "as" vs "like", its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
Quote:
There are other problems with (D). The phrase “whether or not” is generally considered redundant on the GMAT, and has never appeared in a correct answer, at least not to my knowledge. There’s also a modifier placement problem: the phrase “the use of which…” seems to modify “an expert”, and that makes no sense, since “an expert” is not being used for “the diagnosis of equipment.”

GMATNinja - Thanks for the very detailed response. Quick one on this, isn't "the use of which" a Noun + Noun modifier which tends to be quite flexible and can jump over words to modify a noun that is far off, enabling it to modify "computers" here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos