Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ravigupta2912 wrote:
I'm really not understanding the pronoun reference for "it" here in the correct answer choice. To check antecedent, do we have to jump over the prepositional phrase and check the subject of clause? Or can the pronoun "it" here also refer to "furniture".

I know referring to furniture here would not be logical, but i've seen so many eliminations based on pronoun ambiguity where one antecedent was so illogical (yet we didn't ignore it) and the other one made complete sense.

Hi ravigupta2912, in case of pronoun ambiguity, application of following rule often comes in handy:

Pronoun-subject in one clause can be presumed to refer to noun-subject of another clause.

The two clauses here are:
i) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture - The systematic clearing of forests is the noun-subject
ii) it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions - it is the pronoun-subject

So, it refers to The systematic clearing of forests.

Having said that, it's worth noting that pronoun ambiguity should not be the only reason to eliminate an answer choice.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States [#permalink]
parker wrote:
So sneaky of them!

The test writers know that many students who do their homework will see the "not only" trigger and look for a "but also" bookend. If you have the first half of that construction, you should probably have the second. *But* the sneaky twist is that if you have the second half ("but also") you don't necessarily need the first ("not only").

Ex:
She likes not only shaggy puppies, but also short-haired ones. *CORRECT*

He studies a lot, but he also likes to have fun.
*STILL CORRECT*

Great catch mari and daryayurlova on the lack of verb parallelism in two different places in this sentence. "Not only"/"but also" is indeed a parallelism marker, so that knocks off (A) ("create"/"gave" are not in parallel tenses), (B) ("caused" is missing a subject so that clause is not parallel to the first part), and (E) ("created"/"it caused" are not parallel).

That leaves (C) and (D), neither of which contain "not only"-- both choices use "but also" to mean X BUT (also/additionally) Y, which is a perfectly valid usage, though less emphasized in most GMAT curricula.

"But" is still a parallelism marker. Break down C and D to their underlying skeletons:

(C) contains a modifier between those two commas ("creating farmland.furniture), so the core of (C) is really "The clearing, but also..." So what should follow to maintain parallelism? Another noun or noun phrase-- instead we have a verb ("caused")-- the core of (C) would read "the clearing but also caused erosion..."-- that doesn't make any sense! Eliminate.

Try the same thing for (D):
The clearing...created farmland...and gave (stuff)..., but it (the clearing!) also caused erosion.

The underlying structure is
subject verb and verb, but subject also verb.

Parallel and correct!

but what if the sentence is like - She likes not only shaggy puppies, but she also likes short-haired ones
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
but what if the sentence is like - She likes not only shaggy puppies, but she also likes short-haired ones

In which context do you ask this question arya251294?

At the very least, I would say that there is a bit of a redundancy issue here, since a more concise construct would be:

She likes not only shaggy puppies but also short-haired ones.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

(A) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

"did" and "gave" are not parallel to each other. "I did the assignment and gave her candy" is not parallel

(B) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also

"Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive..." sounds much better

(C) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also

it is choppy. What did the "The systematic clearing of forests in the United States" do? Where is the connector between the clearing of the forests and the creating of farmlands?

(D) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

Clear and parallel. Not wordy. The clearing of forests created X and gave customers Y and Z, but it also ...
NOTE: we can use "but it also" without having "not only"... but we cannot have "not only" without "but it also".

(E) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

If you are going to use "not only" you also have to say "but * also"/"but also". Here we used "not only" but NOT "but it also"
* = wildcard
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
hasham222 wrote:
Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

(A) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

(B) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also

(C) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also

(D) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

(E) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

Technology and American Society (2nd Edition)
2 edition
by Gary Cross, Rick Szostak
Published September 22, 2004 by Prentice Hall .
Written in English.

Attachment:
001.png

How would you even understand or know the intended meaning.

One can always think, creating farmland gave x cheap furniture. Because there's more supply of wood now?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States [#permalink]
GMATGuruNY wrote:
imSKR wrote:
[Ok , if " but" is not present then we need "also" to complete the idiom.
not only xx, but also yy- correct
not only xx, also yy -correct
not only xx, yy- wrong

Please confirm.

To my knowledge, no OA from GMAC has included the red construction above.
That said, this construction is quite common outside the GMAT.
A recent sentence in the NY Times:
The Basque club has not only forged a unique identity, it has generated a mind-set among its fans.
My advice: 
If an answer choice with the red construction presents no other issues, hold onto the answer choice.
Eliminate it only if you can find an alternate answer choice that avoids the red construction and is free of errors.

Hi GMATGuruNY - You mentioned per the purple, no OA from GMAC has the following construction : not only xx, yy

Would this question perhaps indicate, the GMAT is okay with not only xx, yy construction ?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-criminal- ... l#p1696841

If so - is my take-away -- "But" does not have to follow the Not Only X ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hello experts sayantanc2k AjiteshArun

I have couple of queries

1. in option A, if we replace gave with give will this option be considered correct? i am asking because sentence construction like this one is not used commonly.

2. i eliminated option B on the basis of following reasoning
in option B , which can not refer back to clause and after but also we do not have any noun to make these two clauses parallel because we do not have any noun outside of not only to carry it over after but also. is this reasoning correct?

Thanks a lot.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kadamhari825 wrote:
Hello experts sayantanc2k AjiteshArun

I have couple of queries

1. in option A, if we replace gave with give will this option be considered correct? i am asking because sentence construction like this one is not used commonly.

2. i eliminated option B on the basis of following reasoning
in option B , which can not refer back to clause and after but also we do not have any noun to make these two clauses parallel because we do not have any noun outside of not only to carry it over after but also. is this reasoning correct?

Thanks a lot.

Hi kadamhari825,

1. That's an interesting question. Normally, when we start with not only, it is to add emphasis. Also, we usually go from "small" to "big". For example:

1a. Not only did they lose the battle, but they also lost the war. ← The first clause is de-emphasised. The war idea is more important.
1b. Not only did they lose the war, but they also lost the battle. ← This is a little strange. It's hard to understand why we would emphasise the battle.

So your question comes down to whether we can look at "create farmland..." and "caused erosion..." as two surprising things, with the second being even more surprising ("bigger") than the first. It sounds a little strange to me, but I can't say whether it is impossible. I think the GMAT also came to the same conclusion, which is probably why they included gave, so that test takers wouldn't have to take a call solely on the basis of not only... (but also).

2. You're absolutely right when you say that option B lacks parallelism.

2a. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create [SUB + VERB] farmland... but also caused [VERB] erosion...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
hasham222 wrote:

Not only is not required in the begining to better convey the contrast therefore out

which usage is not having the right reference and in the end but should be scuceeded by it therefore out

The meaning is off , errorneous usage of giving and it is required in the end therefore out

The meaning is perfect therefore out

giving in the middle is not conveying the right meaning therefore out

THerefore IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
hasham222 wrote:

2 things: 1) X and Y in "Not only X but also Y" must be on the same side. This choice shows a contrast: X is + and Y is - about the clearing of forests. 2) Not only did.. create... but also.. GIVE is correct tense. Did create // Did give vs. Did gave

Same as #1 from (A). Also, "which" incorrectly modifies "farmland." It's the clearing of forests that is giving consumers the benefits.

No verb. OUT

CORRECT. "but also" doesn't need "not only"

Clearing [created] and [gave], but it also [caused] - all parallel

Same as #1 from (A). Also, "giving" is now a non-essential modifier. Makes more sense to be in "X and Y" structure where the give is the Y

Technology and American Society (2nd Edition)
2 edition
by Gary Cross, Rick Szostak
Published September 22, 2004 by Prentice Hall .
Written in English.

Attachment:
001.png
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
"not only ,...but also" is used to show 2 similar ideas.
"but also" is used to show 2 ideas in contrast.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Send PM
In A,D,E - "it" refers to "systematic clearing of forests in USA" which is a clause. So isn't that wrong?

If you refer to a similar question here - "it" cannot refer to "rely on prescriptions to be successful" (which is a clause). So my reasoning was that similar reasoning applies to this question.

Would be grateful if someone can help me. GMATNinja ExpertsGlobal5 egmat VeritasPrepRon EducationAisle
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos