Last visit was: 15 Jun 2024, 14:54 It is currently 15 Jun 2024, 14:54
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73638 [374]
Given Kudos: 19105
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 691 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tennessee
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
605 Q76 V84 DI80
GMAT Focus 2:
615 Q78 V86 DI78
GPA: 3.62
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
First generation college student wouldn't make me anymore competitive right? I'm a white US male so seems about as middle in the pack as they come in terms of representation.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73638 [0]
Send PM
What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Fish181 wrote:
First generation college student wouldn't make me anymore competitive right? I'm a white US male so seems about as middle in the pack as they come in terms of representation.

First generation college student would indeed make you more firepower so to speak. Because it is easier for people who have college educated parents to have priority and education and go through the college process, and also likely going through it more comfortably. The fact that you are first generation college student, speaks to your determination and perseverance.

Business schools actually identify specific demographic as a category. And they try to increase the category representation as well. So you can use the option of under represented

Make sure you click on advanced options to get a more detailed overview. You can also choose individual programs to get more in-depth analysis.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Requesting profile evaluation

24F, European, not French residing in France. Speak 5 languages including Russian and Arabic.

GMAT 740

GPA 3.0, Economics major from Bocconi university

3 YOE in finance, multiple promotions now relationship manager at S&P 500 company

Extracurriculars: some students clubs while in university, some charity activities linked to my company and some extracurricular leadership activities linked to event’s organisation within my company.

Target schools: Columbia, NYU, Yale, Harvard, Wharton, Dartmouth, Princeton, INSEAD, HEC

Ultimate goal: change careers to work for a sovereign wealth fund.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM

Gio99 wrote:
Requesting profile evaluation

24F, European, not French residing in France. Speak 5 languages including Russian and Arabic.

GMAT 740

GPA 3.0, Economics major from Bocconi university

3 YOE in finance, multiple promotions now relationship manager at S&P 500 company

Extracurriculars: some students clubs while in university, some charity activities linked to my company and some extracurricular leadership activities linked to event’s organisation within my company.

Target schools: Columbia, NYU, Yale, Harvard, Wharton, Dartmouth, Princeton, INSEAD, HEC

Ultimate goal: change careers to work for a sovereign wealth fund.

@Gio99 ­- interesting profile overall. Some thoughts and clarifications:

1. Your GMAT is strong. While GPA (assuming 4-point scale) could be a tad bit low for some top B-schools, the GMAT and work-ex could help compensate. 

2. Would like to understand your work-ex better: were the promotions all within the same company, or were there transitions? Which sub-domains/ topics within finance have you worked on? Have you led team(s)?

3. In terms of post-MBA goals, are you looking to stay within the same function but transition to a SWF, or are there other dimensions you're looking to change? While it'd be speculatory at this point to assess chances at specific schools, some top B-schools for Finance careers, along with latest official hiring stats are here

4. EC's seem diverse, and could offer good talking points for essays. Aim to highlight how you evolved from these activities, and ideally how these would help the school and the broader community going forward.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to have a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | HEC Paris MBA & Ex-Alumni Interviewer
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedInSchedule a free chat­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
555 Q75 V81 DI77
Send PM
I tried checking values for Foster's business school. It shows that Foster Applicant Priorities is: 60%GMAT & Demographics
But as per youtube videos of interviews with their admission officers, they said they are don't give a huge weightage to GMAT and they even have a test waiver now. So where is this 60% weightage, being shown by this tool, coming from ?­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Request a profile evaluation:
28M, Indian( Permanent Residency in USA, no work sponsorship required).
Undergrad : 7.1/10 B.E in Computer Science not from IITs/NITs etc ( Anna University, Chennai).
Grad school : 3.5/4 M.S in Comp Science from top 15 program in USA.
Gmat focus: I got a 725, will probably retake as I am targeting 2025 and honestly it was fun.
Work Ex:
3 years in Top 10 US Bank as Software Analyst in the Anti-Money Laundering space, promoted to Product owner for internal application before moving back to India. Have top tier Recommendation from the head of the division.

Currently : 2 years in one of the Big4 Consulting, India, as Consultant and now Senior Consultant , working in Financial Services and Banking sector specifically helping Banks transform their tech. Have a recommendation from a Partner, so should be top tier as well.

ECs:
Personal: Coding club head in undergrad, was part of my local Community Emergency Response Team(CERT) while in the States, volunteer at a local temple helping in preparing food and cleaning,
Professional: Part of my company volunteer org, helping local charities in distributing food to the underprivileged.

Post-MBA goals: My goal is to stay in Banking, so take up a product role in a bank, my dad is part of the C-suite in a bank and he is my mentor, I would like to rise up to become a CEO for a bank taking a tech first approach.

Target School: INSEAD,Cornell,GSB, MIT.

Thanks!­
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow! we’re retaking 725 😂👍
Congrats on an awesome score. Only if you feel like it… most people walking out of the test center feel they can do better. I definitely did. But I was too poor to pay another 250.

You have a strong profile and staying within the same industry strengthens it further. Schools want people to succeed and it’s easier to succeed if you’re not switching industries and leverage your former experience.

I think you main focus should be connecting with current students and alumni to learn about their success and failures and understand how you can position your profile. Will give you valuable details and information for both applications and recruiting.

the second step to focus on right now would be researching positions and opportunities you would like to pursue. The strengthens your candidacy if you can come in and say this is what I want to do and this is where I want to work. That makes you determined and shows you as a planner and someone who is driven.

PS. I’m not sure that INSEAD fits your goals. Nothing wrong but it doesn’t seem to be leveraging your strengths, including your green card. I think you can definitely add booth and Wharton and Darden. Really any M1 program would be a good target and then you can sprinkle it with some reach and top 10 or top 15 programs to get some options for scholarships. Nobody ever thinks about financial aid when they apply and have big dreams but everyone starts pinching their wallets when it comes to paying deposit and tuition And wishing that maybe they should’ve considered the scholarship 😇

mark0wnik0v wrote:
Undergrad : 7.1/10 B.E in Computer Science not from IITs/NITs etc ( Anna University, Chennai).
Gmat focus: I got a 725, will probably retake as I am targeting 2025 and honestly it was fun.
Work Ex:
3 years in Top 10 US Bank as Software Analyst in the Anti-Money Laundering space, promoted to Product owner for internal application before moving back to India. Have top tier Recommendation from the head of the division.

Currently : 2 years in one of the Big4 Consulting, India, as Consultant and now Senior Consultant , working in Financial Services and Banking sector specifically helping Banks transform their tech. Have a recommendation from a Partner, so should be top tier as well.

ECs:
Personal: Coding club head in undergrad, was part of my local Community Emergency Response Team(CERT) while in the States, volunteer at a local temple helping in preparing food and cleaning,
Professional: Part of my company volunteer org, helping local charities in distributing food to the underprivileged.

Post-MBA goals: My goal is to stay in Banking, so take up a product role in a bank, my dad is part of the C-suite in a bank and he is my mentor, I would like to rise up to become a CEO for a bank taking a tech first approach.

Thanks!­

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 691 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM

mark0wnik0v wrote:
Work Ex:

ECs:

Thanks!­

­mark0wnik0v  Congratulations on your excellent result! There is little point in retaking the GMAT after a score of 725, but if you feel you have it in you, definitely go ahead!

I like that you're clear about your goals in banking, and it's great that you have the right mentors and connections. Your permanent residence in the US and your bachelor's degree are significant advantages and strong reasons to do an MBA in the US, but they could also serve as a safety net if you decide to do a one-year MBA at INSEAD and want to keep the US open as an option for later. Use the next few months to find out which school appeals to you the most in terms of various factors, and use your insights to enhance your applications.

Feel free to speak should you want professional advice

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alumna, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mark0wnik0v wrote:
Work Ex:

ECs:

Thanks!­

@mark0wnik0v ­- some thoughts on your profile and plans:

1. Your GMAT, GPA/ pedigree and US residency are strong angles. The professional arc is interesting, given the big-4 and banking/ tech experience. 

2. Since you already have exposure to Product roles within Banking, the justification/ rationale for an MBA and your career trajectory would have to be strong. I would suggest taking a look at these top MBA programs for finance roles (along with latest hiring stats) as a starting point, to then narrow down based on factors such as these.

3. Extracurriculars present decent angles. Any recent and consistent involvement would be valued, given B-schools look for potential value-add to their clubs and the broader community.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out thro' the links below for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.comLinkedIn ­
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
You seem to have a good profile.  Academics - above average at the undergrad level.  Solid at the grad level. Good GMAT. International work experience - these are all going to bat for you.

What will work against you - the tech. flavour in your work background.

Regardless, if you've created significant impact at work, and that is justified by associated promotions/pay raises/lors, then you can consider 2 or 3 M7 applications, including GSB and MIT.

INSEAD and Cornell should be good applications.

Reach out if you want to chat more: https://bit.ly/GM_AugAcd_Profile_Evaluation

Best,
Karthik
mark0wnik0v wrote:
Work Ex:

ECs:

Thanks!­

­
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Schools: Duke Fuqua
GMAT Focus 1:
585 Q76 V81 DI80
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
­Do we know if the GMAT scoring is legacy or Focus?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
jpazdern wrote:
­Do we know if the GMAT scoring is legacy or Focus?

This is legacy for now as scores end in 0’s
PS. We are working on the new updated tool for the Focus.

If you need to convert your score you can use this calculator

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-focus-s ... 18782.html

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while, and this community is amazing.

I am thinking about pursuing an MBA in the US, but I'm unsure how strong my profile is, where I should apply, and which schools are the best for international acceptance and full-ride scholarships or at least very generous ones (I can't afford much, lol).

Here is my profile:

Education:

Graduated in Civil Engineering from UFMG (a top 5 school in Brazil)

Completed an exchange program at Montana State University with a federal full-ride scholarship

Postgraduate degree (a mix of a certificate + a professional master's, but not exactly - 1.5 years of study) from Fundação Dom Cabral, one of the best business schools in Brazil

Work Experience:

2.5 years at one of the largest publicly listed construction/real estate companies

Currently in a management position for almost 5 years at a smaller but locally leading real estate development company

Certifications and Volunteer Work:

PMP certification

Extensive volunteer work (English teacher, Excel teacher, PMI volunteer, etc.)

Academic Performance:

GPA at UFMG (Brazilian undergrad): 3.34 (estimated, as it is graded out of 100)

GPA at MSU (exchange student for spring, summer, and fall): 3.67

GPA at FDC (postgraduate business school): 3.64

GMAT:

Just started studying but aiming for a score of 720-750

Just FYI, I am from Brazil.

What do you guys think? Besides a strong SOP, essays, and recommendation letters, how can I improve my profile? Should I apply for any M7 schools?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23