Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [370]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [1]
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Welcome to gmatclub.

There’s always a difference from season to season and year to year but I think many of the things can be fairly consistent.

First, I’ll outline your strengths:
1. your background and work experience sound strong. The strengths will be further evaluated based in promotions and raises and basically your performance compared to your peers but on paper is strong

2. The fact that you’re not switching from industry to industry and staying within your space, is also strong

3. Being a US applicant and not depending on the scholarship, is also a strength

Areas of improvement

1. Your score is hovering around the average of the top 25. It would be very helpful to get some higher numbers. It’s a score you can apply with but if you can spend another four or six weeks I wouldn’t do more and push it up 20 or 30 points, you would suddenly become an asset to school looking to improve their average for the class. at this point you are not adding anything at the best case scenario and potentially bringing them down.

2. Why MBA and why full-time.
This is a question some of the more experienced candidates have a hard time answering. Business schools want certain experience range because that is who usually gets hired out of business school. Once you go outside that experience range of about five years, business school value starts diminishing. Nobody wants to be unhappy when you graduate on the school is not able to find a job for you because That’s not the profile they can fill. Not sure if this makes a lot of sense but I hope it does.

PS. You can consider potentially other programs such as part-time or Stanford MSX or Sloan fellows depending on what goals you trying to pursue for someone staying in their career track or in the same industry, those programs work quite well. The admissions criteria are also lower and easier to speak.

Bottom line: do you have what it takes to get into a top 25 program but you can do better if you slightly bump up your score and if you have a tight story that fits the business school mold.

You can improve your application and your overall strategy by connecting and reaching out to current students. Many business schools have ambassadors and students listed on their websites. Hundreds of students. Start reaching out to folks.

PS. Students tend to be poor so offered to buy them a coffee or a lunch and they will be more than happy to share their knowledge. Also you’re probably valuable to them as a referral within the finance space so you should have a pretty good rate of response.

mrstudent1994 wrote:
Hi Everyone - Thinking of applying for the 2027 MBA graduation cycle this fall, and I just took the GMAT Focus yesterday. I did ok for first time, think I could do better if I take it again. Trying to get a sense of what caliber US business schools I could have a chance at (looking at top 25). Any guidance or thoughts on which schools I should target would be very helpful, and any broader feedback on my profile / application (including lack of extracurriculars) would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

US Citizen, Indian-American, Male, 30 yo
Score: 655 GMAT Focus (93rd percentile)
Pre-MBA industry: Private Equity, Investment Banking
Post-MBA industry: Private Equity or Corporate Development
Work Exp: 8 years in total (4 years in investment banking, 4 years private equity)
1. M&A IB Analyst / Associate at Good Mid-Market firm (think Evercore, Houlihan Lokey, etc.)
2. PE Senior Associate at LMM Fund (~$2Bn AUM)

Education:
1. Harvard- 3.4/4 undergraduate GPA

Extracurricular:
1. Don't have many current extracurriculars given demanding job

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello Experts,
Please help me evaluate my profile for top schools in US and Europe

GMATFE 645 (89 %ile)
QR 76 VR 70 DI 94

Male, Indian 33

Education
Undergrad: B.Tech, IIT Guwahati (2008 - 2012). CGPA 6.17
10th -75%
12th -82%

Professional experience:
Worked in international consultancy in infrastructure development for 12 years. I worked on different fields of infrastructure projects such as hydro power, fish landing centres, Reservoir & canal, agricultural mechanization, food processing plants, faecal sludge treatment plants and flood risk management & infrastructure upgradation. I worked in different territories of the world such as Gurugram, Afghanistan, Gandhinagar, Visakhapatnam, Ghana etc. My major achievements include a hydropower project as a project engineer in Afghanistan in 2015 wherein I guided the supervisors and labour in site activities and commissioning a reservoir project of worth US$ 40 M at Visakhapatnam, India within the estimated cost where I led a team of 14 people. I prepared feasibility and engineering reports for two projects in Ghana funded by EXIM bank, India and the African Development Bank where I led a team of 8 people. The projects are related to agricultural mechanization, Food processing plants amounting to US$ 150 M and faecal sludge treatment plants.

In the short term, I aim to secure a full-time position in a reputable consulting firm where I can apply my newly acquired skills and knowledge to drive business growth and help clients achieve their strategic objectives. My long-term career goal is to become a trusted advisor to business leaders, helping them navigate complex challenges.

A total of 144 months of work experience by August 2024.

Achievements
Qualified for IIT JEE with an All-India Rank of 2889, top 0.7% out of 450,000 applicants.

Qualified for AIEEE with an All-India Rank within the top 0.5% out of 900,000 candidates.

Conferred with an award from the Union Minister of Water Resources in recognition of contribution towards the successful
completion of the Salma Dam Project in Afghanistan.

Other Experience

Drainage Network Design for Bamundi Village, Guwahati, on behalf of IIT as part of social responsibility

Conducted Parliamentary Standing Committee Event in 2017 for Members of Parliament, industry experts, Secretaries, and
Bureaucrats on the Water Resources in Visakhapatnam

Extra Curricular
Participant of swachhta pakhwada, a special initiative on cleanliness by Govt. of India
Games, Listening to Music, Yoga
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM

abhi7900 wrote:
Hello Experts,

GMATFE 645 (89 %ile)
QR 76 VR 70 DI 94

Male, Indian 33

Education
10th -75%
12th -82%

Professional experience:
Worked in international consultancy in infrastructure development for 12 years. I worked on different fields of infrastructure projects such as hydro power, fish landing centres, Reservoir & canal, agricultural mechanization, food processing plants, faecal sludge treatment plants and flood risk management & infrastructure upgradation. I worked in different territories of the world such as Gurugram, Afghanistan, Gandhinagar, Visakhapatnam, Ghana etc. My major achievements include a hydropower project as a project engineer in Afghanistan in 2015 wherein I guided the supervisors and labour in site activities and commissioning a reservoir project of worth US$ 40 M at Visakhapatnam, India within the estimated cost where I led a team of 14 people. I prepared feasibility and engineering reports for two projects in Ghana funded by EXIM bank, India and the African Development Bank where I led a team of 8 people. The projects are related to agricultural mechanization, Food processing plants amounting to US$ 150 M and faecal sludge treatment plants.

In the short term, I aim to secure a full-time position in a reputable consulting firm where I can apply my newly acquired skills and knowledge to drive business growth and help clients achieve their strategic objectives. My long-term career goal is to become a trusted advisor to business leaders, helping them navigate complex challenges.

Achievements
Qualified for IIT JEE with an All-India Rank of 2889, top 0.7% out of 450,000 applicants.

Qualified for AIEEE with an All-India Rank within the top 0.5% out of 900,000 candidates.

Conferred with an award from the Union Minister of Water Resources in recognition of contribution towards the successful

Other Experience

Drainage Network Design for Bamundi Village, Guwahati, on behalf of IIT as part of social responsibility

Conducted Parliamentary Standing Committee Event in 2017 for Members of Parliament, industry experts, Secretaries, and

Extra Curricular
Participant of swachhta pakhwada, a special initiative on cleanliness by Govt. of India

­abhi7900 Hi, you have a fairly unique profile but at the same time you come with a lot of experience, more than ideal for the flagship MBA programs in the US and the EU.For older applicants, schools are concerned about two things: employability in non-native geography and academic ability.

Regarding academic ability, your IIT pedigree works well for you, but your GPA isn't great. I would suggest that if you are targeting top business schools, you will need to improve your GMAT score further. An 80-85 percentile or above in the Q and V section is what will make your case stronger. Target as high as possible.

As for employability, demonstrate a steep career progression. You will need to do your due diligence and understand which schools would best help you get closer to your goals in consulting. Don't just rely on statistics, speak with alumni and professionals/recruiters in the industry to understand how your unique background in infrastructure development can make you an asset for consulting companies and in what kind of projects. List your transferrable skills. The more research you do to create a solid goals strategy, the more convincing your answers in the essays and interviews will be. Dont expect someone else to do this research for you. 

If you are serious about getting an MBA, you have a lot of work lined ahead for you.

That being said, you could consider schools in the Top 20-30 range and maximise your scholarship. I have worked with several older folks who have been admitted to Top 25 schools globally so feel free to speak at a suitable time.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­
Director
Director
Send PM
What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
abhi7900 wrote:
Hello Experts,

GMATFE 645 (89 %ile)
QR 76 VR 70 DI 94

Male, Indian 33

Education
10th -75%
12th -82%

Professional experience:

Achievements

Other Experience

Extra Curricular

abhi7900 - some thoughts on your profile:

1. The IIT pedigree is a plus, while the GPA and GMAT are a bit on the lower side, particularly for some top B-schools. Would suggest a retake if possible to increase your odds.

2. Broadly, Eurpoean schools are open to more experienced candidates than US counterparts. Latest work-ex/ age averages at top B-schools are here

3. Transitioning to consulting as an experienced candidate is a tricky pitch - it's not impossible, but here's some points to keep in mind: (A) consulting firms prefer younger chaps as they're more generalist/ coachable (B) as an experienced candidate, it's crucial to identify transferable skills and consulting firm niches/ boutiques that specialize within those (C) having a strong narrative is important, both to justify an MBA at this juncture and shift to consulting; a plan-B helps too.

Feel free to reach out through the links below for a deeper chat.

­Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello abhi7900,

I hope you are doing well. Your application for top schools in the US and Europe is impressive! That GMAT score is also strong, it shows you've got some serious brainpower for tackling complex problems. And with 12 years under your belt working on international infrastructure projects all over the world, you've clearly got a deep understanding of the field and the ability to adapt to different situations. Leading teams on projects in India and Ghana, sounds like you've got a knack for inspiring and working with others, which is a major plus. Plus, commissioning a whole 40 million dollar reservoir within budget is a serious achievement you can be proud of. The fact that you graduated from IIT Guwahati, a top-notch institute, just adds another layer of shine to your resume. Don't forget those competitive exams you aced and the award you snagged for the Salma Dam project – those show not only your academic chops but also your dedication to getting things done.

There's one area we can work on together: your undergraduate GPA (6.17). In your application essays, you can address this head-on by mentioning if your grades got stronger later on, or by emphasizing the rock-solid foundation you got from IIT. While your professional experience is truly impressive, maybe consider including a couple of extracurricular activities that show you're well-rounded outside of work.

Remember, when it comes to essays and interviews, focus on showcasing your strengths – that GMAT score, your extensive experience, your leadership skills, and those impressive achievements. Be upfront about your GPA and explain things in a way that makes sense, and if you have the time, consider adding some extracurricular activities to your resume. By highlighting your strengths and addressing any weaknesses strategically, you'll be a strong contender for those top programs!

You've got this.
Good Luck!

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE PROFILE ANALYSIS CALL WITH ALUMS AND CURRENT STUDENTS OF TOP B-SCHOOLS!
 Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond
abhi7900 wrote:
Hello Experts,

GMATFE 645 (89 %ile)
QR 76 VR 70 DI 94

Male, Indian 33

Education
10th -75%
12th -82%

Professional experience:

Achievements

Other Experience

Extra Curricular

­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi, my 2024 application cycle has ended with me not getting into the schools I dreamed of and I would like a profile evaluation on whether I should re-apply next year of not. 26M ORM.

School:
- Top 3 Canadian University
- Major in Economics and Computer Science
- 3.0 GPA (took 5 years to graduate due to double major)

GRE:
335 (170Q, 165V)

Work exp:
- Nearing 4 years as a Software Engineer. Last two years working as a Quant Dev. All at the same company. Will have 5 years by 2025.

Volunteering/Extracurricular:
PM/Tech Lead at a edtech start-up serving under-privileged students.
VP of a fraternity in university.

Post MBA goal:
Product at a tech company. (Also considering IB because I enjoy finance).

My school list for 2024 was CBS, Wharton, Tuck, Kellog, Sloan, SOM, and NYU. All R2. I got rejected by all the schools except NYU. Didn't have an interview with any of the schools that rejected me except Tuck. My hesitation with NYU is they are finance heavy and not as well rounded as other schools. I also did not get any money from NYU. I desperately want to use an MBA to switch out of SWE, but I don't think NYU at full price is worth it for me. An M7, however, could both help me switch out of SWE and pay dividends to my career later down the line.

My number 1 choice is CBS. Does my GPA automatically ding me from CBS and other M7 schools? I thought I would at least get an interview, but not getting any interviews hurt my confidence for applying next year. Would applying R1 next year make the difference? Please advise.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
What did the automated tool say by the way? I am curious.

I think you did a good job covering your weaknesses and applying to a number of programs but it seems they did not like something. Did you write an optional essay about your UG? Also, did you have strong reasons for why you were picking a new career path?

Your MBA is really the biggest influence on your first job out of MBA.

Also, maybe a silly question, did you attend school events and talk to any students or alums and network?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

bb wrote:

I think you did a good job covering your weaknesses and applying to a number of programs but it seems they did not like something. Did you write an optional essay about your UG? Also, did you have strong reasons for why you were picking a new career path?

Also, maybe a silly question, did you attend school events and talk to any students or alums and network?

I attended events for CBS, Tuck, and NYU. Reached out to a CBS student and Tuck alumni. Also spoke with the Tuck adcom, which is why I think I got the interview. I do think I have a strong reason for moving to PM (experience on product-facing teams and product roll-outs) and I wrote an optional essay.

If I fill out all the details in the automated tool (solid UG and well-known company for work) I get average probability for CBS. If I do reapplicant I get below average.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sounds like you have done quite a few things right…. Based what you have outlined, I don’t see any big or silly mistakes so to speak. Your GPA is on the lower side but hopefully you had some good reasons for that and you had a strong GRE score. there’s not much room to improve academically, not anything that you can change per se.

This was a competitive year but you seem to have competitive stats. However, not getting interview invites indicates that even a cursory look at your profile it was a pretty clear “no”. Schools review your profile twice. Once it’s a very fast cursory resort when they decide who to interview. They usually have very little time to read your essays and it’s a cursory check to make sure they have enough candidates for each bucket.

I’m honestly stumped….

I think you may benefit from getting deeper and talking to an admission consultant and getting a ding analysis type of a thing. They usually charge for it however. so it may cost you 500 bucks or something like that. Sometimes they can have a pretty clear pointer but another times it’s quite a dissatisfying answer but you will not know until you pay so speak…. Sorry wish I had a good clear answer for you and an easy fix.

PS. We need to change the re-applicant parameter in the tool I think. Reep applicant is not always bad and especially if you have some additional knowledge and improvements to your profile that you can highlight and bring which most often people can. Schools genuinely say and I believe them that they like Reapplicants, But they admit only the ones that show improvement. They like because it shows loyalty and commitment.

makeit2025 wrote:

bb wrote:

I attended events for CBS, Tuck, and NYU. Reached out to a CBS student and Tuck alumni. Also spoke with the Tuck adcom, which is why I think I got the interview. I do think I have a strong reason for moving to PM (experience on product-facing teams and product roll-outs) and I wrote an optional essay.

If I fill out all the details in the automated tool (solid UG and well-known company for work) I get average probability for CBS. If I do reapplicant I get below average.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

abhi7900 wrote:
Hello Experts,

GMATFE 645 (89 %ile)
QR 76 VR 70 DI 94

Male, Indian 33

Education
10th -75%
12th -82%

Professional experience:

Achievements

Other Experience

Extra Curricular

­Dear abhi7900,

Thanks for writing in.

With your IIT background, international exposure, and stable professional career, there is, practically, a lot working for you.

Having said the above, the major issue revolves around your low GPA, as well as, high years of work experience; while the former can be tackled by addressing the real reason, it is the latter that puts us in a tricky spot.

Our suggestion would be simple - spend the next few months connecting with the Admissions Committee at your target schools; get a sense of how enthusiastic they sound about you applying with your high years of experience; if the school sounds unenthusiastic, then there would be no point in applying; in case you are looking for a broad playground that you could look at, your target should be the top 15 schools in Europe and schools ranked between 20-45 in the US. Remember, the chances will be higher in Europe as the European 1 year programs are more open to those with higher years of experience.

In case you wish to discuss your prospects in greater detail, please feel free to get in touch with us.

The video on the following link will also help you with the correct approach for shortlisting schools:

https://www.expertsglobal.com/shortlist ... s-schools/

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
­Hey Guys,
Will be applying for the 2027 MBA graduation cycle this fall and looking for some expert opinion regarding my overall profile. 
I am targeting only the Top 7-8 schools in the US, ex: HBS, Stanford GSB, Wharton, MIT etc.
Any guidance or thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Here are the profile characteristics:

Origin/Gender/Age: Indian, 27, M
Score: Have not given the test yet, but scoring around 700-725 in GMATFE mocks.

Education:
1. Bachelors (B.tech): IIT Delhi - Mathematics, CGPA 7/10 (done as a part of a Dual Degree)
2. Masters (M.tech): IIT Delhi - Mathematics. CGPA 8.8/10 (done as a part of a Dual Degree)
3. CFA Level 1

Work Exp: 3.5 years in total 
1. AI Product at Top Finance-Tech MNC (1yr) : Created AI Credit platform for low scale farmers, 300k onboarded customers, $200k/month of loans, best product prize.
2. Product Lead/Founding Member at a Startup (Current, 2.5yrs): Privacy Centry E-commerce, only product person (50+ people), directly below CTO/CEO, $XM ARR, raised Series A from top VCs.

Extracurricular/Community:
1. State level Lawn Tennis Gold Medal (under 20), had to give up due a medical condition.
2. Mathematics Club Head in College.
3. Co-founder of a small non-profit in the US specifically for Women Empowerment, published articles.
4. Volunteer at a national study group specifically for blind and under-priviledged children.

Context:
1. Medium class background.
2. Studied hard for college entrance but due to a medical condition, had to take a drop year.
3. Had to fight (family) for taking a drop year (opportunity cost), difficult year, cracked IIT next year.
4. Due to medical reasons, low academic performance and low confidence/self-belief during the first 2.5yrs and hence the lower UG CGPA.
5. After 2.5yrs the college, health recovered, got break-throughs in top tech internships, regained confidence, bumped up PG CGPA.
6. Never stopped moving forward.

Future Goals:
1. Making access to financial resources easier for the needy.
2. Could be Tech/VC or founding a startup.­
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there MrMediocre

I see you're aiming for the 2027 MBA cycle and targeting top schools like HBS and Wharton. That's ambitious, and your profile is already strong! Your high CGPA in Mathematics from IIT Delhi is impressive, and your work experience at a top FinTech and a growing startup shows you've got the skills and drive business schools love.  You've even balanced that with social impact through your non-profit and volunteer work. Plus, the story of overcoming a medical condition to achieve success is truly inspiring.

To make your application shine even brighter, let's focus on a few things. 

First, crushing the GMAT/GRE is key. Aiming for a score above the median for your target schools will definitely help you stand out.  

Second, quantifying your impact at the startup with specific details on how you drove growth would be powerful.  Maybe you spearheaded a user acquisition campaign or played a key role in a product launch that skyrocketed sales. Numbers speak volumes! 

The most important piece, though, is your essays. Here's your chance to tell your story and show these schools why you'd be an incredible addition to their program.  Let them see your personality, your passions, and how your experiences connect to your goals of making financial resources more accessible and potentially pursuing a path in Tech/VC or entrepreneurship.

Intrigued by how to craft those winning essays and take your application to the next level?  We offer free profile evaluation calls!  This is your chance to get a detailed analysis of your strengths and areas for improvement from our admissions experts. We'll help you develop a winning strategy and craft an application that grabs the attention of top business schools. Let's chat and see how we can turn your MBA dreams into reality!

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE 1:1 PROFILE ANALYSIS CALL

Testimonials 

MBA and Beyond

MrMediocre wrote:
­Hey Guys,
Will be applying for the 2027 MBA graduation cycle this fall and looking for some expert opinion regarding my overall profile. 
I am targeting only the Top 7-8 schools in the US, ex: HBS, Stanford GSB, Wharton, MIT etc.
Any guidance or thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Here are the profile characteristics:

Origin/Gender/Age: Indian, 27, M
Score: Have not given the test yet, but scoring around 700-725 in GMATFE mocks.

Education:
1. Bachelors (B.tech): IIT Delhi - Mathematics, CGPA 7/10 (done as a part of a Dual Degree)
2. Masters (M.tech): IIT Delhi - Mathematics. CGPA 8.8/10 (done as a part of a Dual Degree)
3. CFA Level 1

Work Exp: 3.5 years in total 
1. AI Product at Top Finance-Tech MNC (1yr) : Created AI Credit platform for low scale farmers, 300k onboarded customers, $200k/month of loans, best product prize.
2. Product Lead/Founding Member at a Startup (Current, 2.5yrs): Privacy Centry E-commerce, only product person (50+ people), directly below CTO/CEO, $XM ARR, raised Series A from top VCs.

Extracurricular/Community:
1. State level Lawn Tennis Gold Medal (under 20), had to give up due a medical condition.
2. Mathematics Club Head in College.
3. Co-founder of a small non-profit in the US specifically for Women Empowerment, published articles.
4. Volunteer at a national study group specifically for blind and under-priviledged children.

Context:
1. Medium class background.
2. Studied hard for college entrance but due to a medical condition, had to take a drop year.
3. Had to fight (family) for taking a drop year (opportunity cost), difficult year, cracked IIT next year.
4. Due to medical reasons, low academic performance and low confidence/self-belief during the first 2.5yrs and hence the lower UG CGPA.
5. After 2.5yrs the college, health recovered, got break-throughs in top tech internships, regained confidence, bumped up PG CGPA.
6. Never stopped moving forward.

Future Goals:
1. Making access to financial resources easier for the needy.
2. Could be Tech/VC or founding a startup.­

­
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello makeit2025,

I hope you are doing well. Your application has a strong foundation. Your double major in Economics and Computer Science showcases valuable analytical and quantitative skills, and your GMAT score with a high quant section highlights this strength. 

Your work experience as a Software Engineer transitioning into a Quant Dev role demonstrates a solid track record and aligns well with your post-MBA goals in product management or investment banking. Additionally, your leadership experience through the EdTech startup and fraternity involvement showcases your well-roundedness.

To maximize your potential for the upcoming application cycle, consider these steps:

1. Leverage your growing work experience by taking on increased responsibility or leadership roles.
2. Focus on crafting compelling essays that highlight your career goals, unique experiences, and leadership potential.
3. Secure strong recommendations that speak to your potential.

A well-crafted application strategy and a balanced school list are crucial for success. By strategically addressing any shortcomings and targeting the right programs, you can significantly increase your chances of getting into an M7 school like CBS.

Ready to build a winning application for next year? Schedule a free profile analysis call with us. We'll help you identify areas for improvement and develop a personalized strategy to get you admitted to your dream school.

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE 1:1 PROFILE ANALYSIS CALL

Testimonials 

MBA and Beyond
​​​​​​​
makeit2025 wrote:
Hi, my 2024 application cycle has ended with me not getting into the schools I dreamed of and I would like a profile evaluation on whether I should re-apply next year of not. 26M ORM.

School:
- Top 3 Canadian University
- Major in Economics and Computer Science
- 3.0 GPA (took 5 years to graduate due to double major)

GRE:
335 (170Q, 165V)

Work exp:
- Nearing 4 years as a Software Engineer. Last two years working as a Quant Dev. All at the same company. Will have 5 years by 2025.

Volunteering/Extracurricular:
PM/Tech Lead at a edtech start-up serving under-privileged students.
VP of a fraternity in university.

Post MBA goal:
Product at a tech company. (Also considering IB because I enjoy finance).

My school list for 2024 was CBS, Wharton, Tuck, Kellog, Sloan, SOM, and NYU. All R2. I got rejected by all the schools except NYU. Didn't have an interview with any of the schools that rejected me except Tuck. My hesitation with NYU is they are finance heavy and not as well rounded as other schools. I also did not get any money from NYU. I desperately want to use an MBA to switch out of SWE, but I don't think NYU at full price is worth it for me. An M7, however, could both help me switch out of SWE and pay dividends to my career later down the line.

My number 1 choice is CBS. Does my GPA automatically ding me from CBS and other M7 schools? I thought I would at least get an interview, but not getting any interviews hurt my confidence for applying next year. Would applying R1 next year make the difference? Please advise.

­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello bb
Is this tool reconfigured for GMAT F.E. or I have to add 45/55 points to my score and enter that score for a proper evaluation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
­Requesting profile evaluation

29F, dual citizen (SE Asia + Canada) residing in Canada

GMAT 710 (Q46, V41, IR8, AWA6)
-I was getting 740-770 in mocks but I have severe test anxiety; debating retake but would need to study new materials for focus?

GPA 3.0 (73%), accounting major from a T10 university in Canada

7 YOE in luxury residential real estate on a top 1% performing team, now managing new home sales division

Extracurriculars: I just started getting involved with organizing a running event in fall for a large charity, also managing several teams as director of the event. Growing interest in fitness and running, having ran several events ranging from 5K to half marathon.
Otherwise, I was extremely active in ECs back in uni to the point of winning an award for student leadership. Held executive positions in 3 clubs ranging from political science to student mentorship.

Target schools (draft to be narrowed down):
UofT Rotman & Western Ivey for Canada
Columbia, NYU, Yale, Dartmouth, Cornell for USA
INSEAD, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge for Europe

Ultimate goal: change careers into tech PM, proven passion in tech since childhood (computer building/tinkering, programmed a tool with 1k+ daily users, UG exchange semester studying comp sci)
Director
Director
Send PM
whomstmd wrote:

-I was getting 740-770 in mocks but I have severe test anxiety; debating retake but would need to study new materials for focus?

7 YOE in luxury residential real estate on a top 1% performing team, now managing new home sales division

Extracurriculars: I just started getting involved with organizing a running event in fall for a large charity, also managing several teams as director of the event. Growing interest in fitness and running, having ran several events ranging from 5K to half marathon.
Otherwise, I was extremely active in ECs back in uni to the point of winning an award for student leadership. Held executive positions in 3 clubs ranging from political science to student mentorship.

Ultimate goal: change careers into tech PM, proven passion in tech since childhood (computer building/tinkering, programmed a tool with 1k+ daily users, UG exchange semester studying comp sci)

@whomstmd ­- interesting profile. Some thoughts and clarifications:

1. The GPA and GMAT are alright - the Quant split seems a bit low though. A higher score could improve chances particularly for UST10 and LBS. FYI, the latest GMAT averages of top B-schools are here

2. Would like to understand your work-ex better e.g. were all the 7 years in one company or were there switches? What functions/ domains were you involved in? Were there promotions?

3. It'd be crucial to have a strong narrative for your career goals i.e. why PM - why didn't you start your career in tech/ PM given your early passion? were you exposed to tech/ PM in your professional roles? what are your transferable skills? etc. Broadly, this part would need good work in the essays. I'd add HEC to the mix, as it places well for PM roles. Some top MBA programs for Tech careers are here. Having a plan-B also helps.

4. EC's are interesting, and could offer talking points for essays. Aim to highlight activities where you're involved consistently and have helped you grow, ideally related to themes that your target B-school(s) value.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply

whomstmd wrote:

­While everything else looks good, I'd like some more clarity on the career goal - b-schools and recruiters will look for some transferable skills from Real estate sales to PM - is there something in your pre MBA career that justifies this change? Are you planning to take up PM roles in tech real estate businesses?
Otherwise, it may seem far fetched to say that you were interested in tech while you were studying 7 years ago but havent dabbled in the field after that and now want to pirsue it as a goal.

Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Schedule a FREE Profile evaluation

­

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 14 Apr 2024, 16:15.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 15 Apr 2024, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

whomstmd wrote:

­
Hello whomstmd,

Thanks for writing in.

Your GPA is on the lower side; this makes it all the more important for you to work on improving your GMAT (especially for schools such as INSEAD, Stern, Yale, and LBS). The good news is that you do have time in hand.

Besides the above, the goals do not appear to be in complete sync; hence, your essays duly need to capture why you are pursuing the goals that you are and how your experience equips you to do the same.

All in all, if you are able to improve your score and put forth a set of compelling essays that tie the different threads in your story together, you will have a good chance.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23