Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [370]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q158 V155

GRE 2: Q163 V159

GRE 3: Q163 V159
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello thinkvision,

I hope you are doing good. Your profile is quite impressive, with a diverse set of experiences in finance, entrepreneurship, and leadership roles. To begin with your academics, a 690 is a decent score; aiming for a higher GMAT score could strengthen your application, especially for competitive programs. If you have the time and resources, consider retaking the GMAT to enhance your chances.

If you are considering top MBA programs with a January intake, it's crucial to evaluate your priorities. While applying in the first round can be advantageous, ensure that you can submit a strong application. If you feel that a slightly higher GMAT score would significantly boost your application, it might be worth retaking the GMAT and applying in the subsequent rounds.

January intake programs often have smaller class sizes, which can foster close-knit communities. However, the career opportunities and recruiting timelines may differ compared to the regular intake. Research the specific programs and consider your post-MBA goals when deciding on the intake.

Your diverse background, leadership roles, and entrepreneurial experiences make you a compelling candidate. However, the competitiveness of these programs means that a higher GMAT score could further enhance your chances. Aim for a well-balanced application, showcasing your unique experiences and how they align with your post-MBA goals.

Kellogg and CBS J-term:
Kellogg's one-year MBA program and Columbia's J-term are excellent options, especially if you prefer a shorter program. Both are prestigious institutions, and your background could be valuable in their programs. Evaluate the program structures, cultures, and how well they align with your goals before applying.

Masters in Finance (MIM):
Considering your extensive work experience, a specialized master's program in finance may not align with your goals as closely as an MBA. MBA programs offer a broader skill set and network, which may be more beneficial for your future plans in venture capital, hedge funds, or private equity.

Consider retaking the GMAT if you believe a higher score would significantly strengthen your application. Your rich professional background and entrepreneurial experiences will be valuable assets in the application process.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week. We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now with Alums and Current students of top B-schools!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

thinkvision wrote:
Hi All, Need help on the review of my profile and on a couple of questions.

Profile: 32 years, Male, Indian, Chartered Accountant (2014), Company Secretary (2015), CFA (US) Level 2 (2019), B.Comm. (Open) - Delhi University, MBA (Distance Learning) - Symbiosis Pune

GMAT: 690(Q50/V32). Planning to re-take.

Professional background (in chronological order):
1. 2 years ~ Goldman Sachs, Bangalore, India in Finance
2. 3 years ~ Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Gurgaon, India in the Deal Advisory
3. 1 year ~ Boutique Investment Banking firm
4. 2 years ~ COO at legal fintech (co-founded with the founder, raised three rounds, scaled it to a 60-member team, sector leader)
5. 6 months ~ CEO & Co-founder at cross-border fintech (bootstrapped, had to shut it down last month because of an RBI regulation)

In addition, I also did a venture in the food industry at the age of 22. Exited it after running for 2 years.

Total Work experience: ~8.5 years

Extra- Curricular
- Winner of national elocution competition and law quiz while pursuing CS
- Winner of various competitions at Goldman Sachs and PwC

MBA Plan
- MBA from one of the top 20 universities globally
- Preference for 1 year MBA given my age
- US, UK or EU

Why MBA?
- I had two stints in entrepreneurship and in the areas in which I wanted to create an impact. A comprehensive MBA will broaden my perspective on approaching problems.

Plan post-MBA: Want to work on the fund side for a few years (venture capital, hedge fund, restructuring, private equity). Eventually starting something of my own.

Questions:
1. Should I focus on improving my GMAT score at the moment or apply to the first round of January intake at INSEAD, HEC, and IMD?
2. How different is a January intake program from a regular Aug intake? Specifically the ROI?
3. Chances at INSEAD, HEC, Said Oxford, LBS, Judge, and IMD with a 690?
4. I also heard that Kellogg runs a 1 year program and CBS J-term. Worth applying and chances?
5. In addition, what is the value of a MIM or Masters in Finance from Booth or MIT, given my age.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
thinkvision wrote:
Hi All, Need help on the review of my profile and on a couple of questions.

Profile: 32 years, Male, Indian, Chartered Accountant (2014), Company Secretary (2015), CFA (US) Level 2 (2019), B.Comm. (Open) - Delhi University, MBA (Distance Learning) - Symbiosis Pune

GMAT: 690(Q50/V32). Planning to re-take.

Professional background (in chronological order):
1. 2 years ~ Goldman Sachs, Bangalore, India in Finance
2. 3 years ~ Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Gurgaon, India in the Deal Advisory
3. 1 year ~ Boutique Investment Banking firm
4. 2 years ~ COO at legal fintech (co-founded with the founder, raised three rounds, scaled it to a 60-member team, sector leader)
5. 6 months ~ CEO & Co-founder at cross-border fintech (bootstrapped, had to shut it down last month because of an RBI regulation)

In addition, I also did a venture in the food industry at the age of 22. Exited it after running for 2 years.

Total Work experience: ~8.5 years

Extra- Curricular
- Winner of national elocution competition and law quiz while pursuing CS
- Winner of various competitions at Goldman Sachs and PwC

MBA Plan
- MBA from one of the top 20 universities globally
- Preference for 1 year MBA given my age
- US, UK or EU

Why MBA?
- I had two stints in entrepreneurship and in the areas in which I wanted to create an impact. A comprehensive MBA will broaden my perspective on approaching problems.

Plan post-MBA: Want to work on the fund side for a few years (venture capital, hedge fund, restructuring, private equity). Eventually starting something of my own.

Questions:
1. Should I focus on improving my GMAT score at the moment or apply to the first round of January intake at INSEAD, HEC, and IMD?
2. How different is a January intake program from a regular Aug intake? Specifically the ROI?
3. Chances at INSEAD, HEC, Said Oxford, LBS, Judge, and IMD with a 690?
4. I also heard that Kellogg runs a 1 year program and CBS J-term. Worth applying and chances?
5. In addition, what is the value of a MIM or Masters in Finance from Booth or MIT, given my age.

Hi Thinkvision,

You have a great work profile with a wide range of experience in the finance industry and with career progression/ increasing responsibilities at work. The entrepreneurial experience sounds solid especially scaling your fintech. Having career goals that are connected with your work experience in some way will help show that you are focused and have a career vision in mind while building your career path.
Coming to your questions- You have selected the best European MBA programs so no one can fault that. You must go through their employment reports and understand if these b-schools can facilitate the post MBA career / geography you are after. It will also be of help to talk to current students and recent alumni to get a better sense of these post MBA employment opportunities.
A 690 GMAT score does put you atleast 10-20 points below an Indian male applicant's average GMAT (I know I just wrote average :roll: ). I suggest a retake as it always helps to apply with a higher GMAT score. This holds true because you also have your eyes set on the American MBA programs where the GMAT score requirements normally tend to be higher. The USC iBear MBA will be another program to look into in the US.
Coming to a desire for another masters- I haven't particularly checked these two programs out, but typically, MIM or MFin programs tend to attract younger applicants. Now at 32 years of age and with substantial work experience under your belt, you would want to go to a classroom where you learn from your classmates' experience and you are not the one always contributing to their learning. This is a very important consideration as most MBA programs rely a good deal on peer learning. So, you'd want to be in a class that intellectually stimulates you. I have had many MBA applicants in the past who have preferred doing an MBA in Europe vis-a-vis one in the US, because the average class age is a little higher in the European MBA programs. That said, people also do a 2-year MBA in the US with 8 years' experience. So the region where you get your MBA from is a matter of your personal preference.
Regarding MBA v/s master's - it depends on what kind of education suites your future career path 3- 10 years after MBA. An MBA program could be better if you wish to rise up in the corporate ladder and need a good balance of leadership skills along with a business foundation. I would ask- as you already have so many qualifications in finance, do you need another one to achieve your career goals or do you need a more rounded education (learn about strategy/ marketing/ leadership/ global network etc.) which you may need as you advance in your career towards leadership roles, and this would be better attained through an MBA?

Hope that makes sense.

Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Profile evaluation: https://mbadecoder.com/services/free-pr ... valuation/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi guys, Indian - 28 Male, 5 Years Work Experience (2018-2024). 8 Months Internship. 7 Months Gap (4 and 3 Months separately)
GMAT - 700. GPA 2.7/4.0 (Architecture) Work Experience in Design, Project Management and Service Consulting. Fortune 500 Companies. International Exposure.

Universities Applied - Georgetown, Simon Rochester, Notre Dame Mendoza, Scheller, Vanderbilt Owen, William and Mary, George Washington.

I have worked with a consultant on the following. I wanted to apply to McCombs, Tepper, Kelley and Cornell Johnson - But was advised against.

Currently contemplating GFE (90+ Percentile Score), Increasing community engagement to add leadership exposure.

Do you think I have been advised incorrectly or do you suggest I do work on a better GFE score and try again next R1. If I do get the score, 695+ do you see a realistic chance at a T15/ T20?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
What do you mean when you say I have worked with a consultant on the following, do you mean the above schools? What you have going for you is that your work experience is in architecture which is unique. I'm wondering what you mean by international exposure. What kind of organizational impact have you made? What kind of recommendations could you submit, could they point to initiative and leadership? For me that's a big factor in your decision. Do you have any hobbies, or any community involvement at all? If you have leadership and some type of well roundedness you can demonstrate then you might want to go for some of those schools. Consider doing the executive assessment if the GFE doesn't work out. That would give you a lot of schools to go for and I think that if your application is strong your recommendations are strong then at least they won't have to be worried about your test score. I wouldn't recommend applying to a school with more than a 680 average GMAT with your current score. But the executive assessment, and sometimes the GRE are not involved with the class profile which sort of presents an opportunity to you. Last round I had a client with a weak leadership record and a 710 take the EA he's at McCombs. You need to really sell the crap out of your work experience and show how it would add incremental value to the classroom. Figure that part out.

divynshpGMAT wrote:
Hi guys, Indian - 28 Male, 5 Years Work Experience (2018-2024). 8 Months Internship. 7 Months Gap (4 and 3 Months separately)
GMAT - 700. GPA 2.7/4.0 (Architecture) Work Experience in Design, Project Management and Service Consulting. Fortune 500 Companies. International Exposure.

Universities Applied - Georgetown, Simon Rochester, Notre Dame Mendoza, Scheller, Vanderbilt Owen, William and Mary, George Washington.

I have worked with a consultant on the following. I wanted to apply to McCombs, Tepper, Kelley and Cornell Johnson - But was advised against.

Currently contemplating GFE (90+ Percentile Score), Increasing community engagement to add leadership exposure.

Do you think I have been advised incorrectly or do you suggest I do work on a better GFE score and try again next R1. If I do get the score, 695+ do you see a realistic chance at a T15/ T20?
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello divynshpGMAT,

I hope you are doing well. Admission decisions are complex, influenced by various factors. Your profile seems to have a mix of strengths and areas that may need improvement. Your profile showcases strengths such as 5 years of Fortune 500 work experience, a competitive GMAT score of 700, and positive international exposure.

However, there are areas for improvement, including a GPA of 2.7/4.0 in architecture and two employment gaps. University selection is crucial, considering factors like competitiveness, essays, recommendations, and interviews. Recommendations include considering a GMAT retake for enhancement, increasing community engagement and leadership exposure, and reevaluating university choices based on career goals.

It's essential to weigh your options carefully and consider your long-term career goals. If you decide to reapply, ensure that your application reflects your growth and achievements. Ultimately, the decision to reapply should align with your career aspirations and the improvements you can make to your application.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week. We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now with Alums and Current students of top B-Schools.

divynshpGMAT wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Good tool, but needs significant update provided the ranking, admissions criteria, global business landscape, competition and GMAT/GRE avg have gone up significantly.
Requesting to kindly look into this once please - bb, souvik101990
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Indeed! Makes for a unique narrative.
vamkrispk wrote:
Is public sector banking in India a unique work experience?
i mean there are may be 10 people (thats a crazy high estimate) applying to M7 B Schools from this industry

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q85 V80 DI76
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 4: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
The tool seems to be a good instrument to gauge chances for getting an admit. It would be really nice if the tool could display more colleges spread across different regions. If that is too much then probably some drop down to select a region and within that region what are the chances to get into those b-schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I’m an auditor at cag (government job) with 680 gmat, in the past I was academic manager.
What are my chances in good bschools, and which bschool should I target?

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello SivapriyaM,

I hope you are doing well. Your GMAT score of 680 is competitive, and your background as an auditor at CAG with previous experience as an academic manager adds diversity to your profile. However, getting into top business schools depends on various factors beyond just the GMAT score. Admissions committees consider your professional experience, leadership potential, letters of recommendation, essays, and extracurricular activities.

Here are some steps you can take to enhance your chances:

Highlight Leadership and Achievements:
Emphasize your leadership roles and significant achievements in your current and past positions. Showcase how your experience has prepared you for a top MBA program.

Craft a Strong Application Essay:
Use your essays to articulate your career goals, explain why you want an MBA, and demonstrate how the specific program aligns with your aspirations. Connect your past experiences to your future goals.

Secure Strong Letters of Recommendation:
Obtain letters of recommendation from colleagues or supervisors who can speak to your skills, accomplishments, and potential for success in an MBA program.

Engage in Extracurricular Activities:
Participate in extracurricular activities that demonstrate your leadership, teamwork, and impact beyond the workplace.

Research and Target Schools:
Identify business schools that align with your career goals, values, and strengths. Consider schools that have strong programs in finance, management, or any other area relevant to your career.

Considering your background, here are some top business schools you might want to target:

Indian School of Business (ISB):
ISB is a well-regarded business school in India and may be a good fit given your background and goals.

NUS Business School, National University of Singapore:
NUS is known for its strong business programs and is located in a hub of business activity in Asia.

INSEAD:
INSEAD is a globally recognized business school with campuses in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. It has a diverse and highly regarded MBA program.

London Business School (LBS):
LBS is a top-ranked business school in Europe and offers a diverse and internationally-focused MBA program.

Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University:
Kellogg is known for its strong finance and management programs, and it could be a good fit depending on your career goals.

Remember to thoroughly research each school, attend information sessions, and connect with current students or alumni to gain insights into the programs and tailor your application accordingly. It's essential to demonstrate a strong fit between your goals and what each school has to offer.

Good luck!

Book a free profile evaluation call now with our experts.
Testimonials
Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com

SivapriyaM wrote:
I’m an auditor at cag (government job) with 680 gmat, in the past I was academic manager.
What are my chances in good bschools, and which bschool should I target?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GRE 1: Q168 V159
GPA: ???-
Send PM
Hi, please evaluate my profile:
X - 90.42 (ICSE)
XII - 83.08 (State Board)
BCom - 73.52 (State Uni- Top 10 college)
MCom - 80 (State Uni - Top 10 college)

College extra curriculars:
1. Head of the marketing dept of the MUN club, Jt. Secretary of the Management Club, Editor - English of the Annual College Magazine, Head of PR of the Marketing Club
2. Won story writing contests, academic prizes for individual subjects, trophy for the being the best writer of college, published 2 research papers

Work experience: 4.5 years
I have a career gap of 5 months as my parents were unwell and I had to leave my job to look after them both. Wanted to understand how this will impact my profile.

Industry: Digital and Mainline marketing
Company: Ogilvy, FCB (India offices)
Impact: Worked on Retail, finance and FMCG brands.
Current position - Account Manager
Led the end to end execution of campaigns
Was the key spoc on the accounts managed
Came up with strategy/ideas/insights for campaigns managed
Led a team of 3 solution driven executives

Other Hobbies:
1. MMA - Certified Black Belt
2. Writing - Blog with over 40K followers on Instagram, published in several anthologies

Goals: To transition over to the brand side as a brand manager post an MBA

Current GRE score - 325

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q86 V86 DI85
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a profile evaluation for deferred admissions this year:

Schools: HBS (2+2), Stanford GSB, Wharton (Moelis), Columbia, MIT Sloan.

Country of citizenship: Italy
Currently enrolled in a double master's degree, graduating this summer from both degrees.

Internship and/or work experience
Almost 5 years of part-time working experience in marketing (all 5 in Italy), of which 4 in consulting. All my experience is in small-size companies (this might be my main weakness). On the other hand, this allowed me to take much more responsibilities and develop entrepreneurship and expertise in several industries and functions. I also have entrepreneurship experience, having had a leadership role for one year in a tech startup that I've cofounded.

Company Z | Venture Capital - Will join soon (London, UK)
This is not a job, but I'll join the VC as advisor. It will be a huge opportunity for learning.

University of South Carolina - Research Assistant (USA) - 3 months part-time
Research assitant for a well-known professor of business administration.

Company A | Fintech Start-up - Co-Founder and Head of Growth - 13 months part-time (Remote, Worldwide)
I was responsible for the business, growth, and marketing strategy. We pitched to Y Combinator and Sequoia Capital.
(achievements here are good, but I don't want to share them publicly for confidentiality)

Company B | Consulting Boutique - Consultant–Digital Advertising Specialist - 13 months part-time (Italy)
Worked for two consulting firms owned by the corporation. Provided strategic and marketing consulting, relationships with clients, and advertising management for all the clients of the two firms. In charge of the training of junior consultants.
• Autonomously designed, developed, and implemented an advertising automation system that increased budget efficiency by 598% in the first month, saving 25.000€ annually.
• Managed and brought a minor business branch from 24,8% to 87,3% project margin through advertising automation and changes in the branch’s commercial strategies, while decreasing clients’ churn rate by 60%.
• Oversaw a +50.000€/month advertising budget and spent on digital channels, being responsible for the advertising strategies and spending of all the +100 clients of the two consulting firms.

Company C | Consulting Boutique - Consultant–Marketing Specialist - 30 months part-time (Italy)
Provided strategy and consultation for marketing projects working with local, national, and international brands.
• Planned and implemented digital marketing and advertising strategies for clients in fashion, food, retail and B2B industries.
• Managed relationships with clients for consulting, leading to 90% contract renewal, with 3 significant upsells.

Company D | Winery - Junior Marketing Specialist - 20 months part-time (Italy)
Completed apprenticeship in marketing and the daily management of the firm. Participated in various activities, such as new product development, financial management, e-commerce management, and sales.
• Developed the whole online presence of the winery (e-commerce, marketplaces, and social media) in the first 6 months.

School, major, GPA
Master’s Degree: I’m currently enrolled in a Double Master’s Degree program:
- MSc in Management at Bocconi University (4.0 GPA) - Projected final grade: "Summa cum laude"
- Master of International Business at the Darla Moore School of Business: University of South Carolina (4.0 GPA).
This summer I’ll get both degrees.

- Bachelor: BSc in Digital marketing from a not-ranked (and not great) university. Good GPA 27.7/30 (Italian grading system), final grade 107/110.

GMAT
I'll take the GMAT FE in 10 days, I aim for 705+, and not less than the 95th percentile. The last official mock scores were 675, 695, 685, 715.

International exposure and languages
- Italian native speaker
- 1-year experience in the international startup I co-founded (the team was from 4 different continents).
- I'm spending 1 year in the US for my double degree.
- Passed the HSK1 test (1st level of Chinese language).
- Intermediate level of Spanish.

Leadership experience:
- Team leader for the Global Case Competition at Harvard, representing my business school (2-3 months) [2024]
- Project manager for a real strategy consulting project for a Fortune 100 company - led a team of 14 people (3 months) [2023]
- Head of growth at the startup I co-founded (13 months) [2022]
- Team lead for several projects during my experience in consulting at "Company B" [2022]
- Automotive professional master - Team Leader of the project work (3 months) [2021]
- Start-Up Weekend - Team Leader of the Start-up during the competition. (1 weekend) [2019]

Community involvement:
- Pro-bono consultant and volunteer in a cultural association (musical association),
- Volunteer academic tutor for middle school students with learning disabilities (project in collaboration with Harvard),
- Volunteer at an orphan assistance center.

Career Goals:
My goal after the MBA is to run my own company or to work in venture capitals / private equity.

Unique background factors:
- A lot of work experience, considering that I'm a deferred applicant,
- Entrepreneurial experience (Start-up and VC),
- Double master's degree in two different countries (US and Italy),
- Maybe my nationality (Italian), I'm not sure.

Essays:
Essays will be focused on entrepreneurship, start-up experience, and the fact that I worked during all my studies to grow professionally and be financially independent.

I'm overall proud of what I have done, but these schools (and the deferred admission programs in particular!) are so competitive. Do you think I have a shot?

Thank you in advance!

:)­­­­
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Marcof11,

I hope you are doing well. Your profile for deferred MBA admissions is strong and competitive. Highlighting your strengths, like your double Master's degrees with exceptional GPAs, diverse work experience including entrepreneurship and leadership roles, and international exposure, will be crucial. 

Focus on achieving a high GMAT score above your target and tailor your essays to showcase your unique experiences and aspirations in alignment with each program's specific values.

Specific to Schools:
  • HBS 2+2: They prioritize applicants with unique paths and diverse backgrounds. Your international experience, entrepreneurial ventures, and potential for leadership within business operations could be a good fit.
  • Stanford GSB: Their focus on "changing the world through innovation and entrepreneurship" aligns with your goals and experience.
  • Wharton Moelis: This program specifically seeks entrepreneurs and future business leaders. Your experience and career aspirations make you a strong candidate.
  • Columbia & MIT Sloan: These programs are more traditional but still value diverse backgrounds and experiences. Highlight your unique strengths and how you can contribute to their communities.
You have a strong profile with several compelling aspects that would be attractive to deferred admissions programs. Your academic achievements, diverse work experience, leadership involvement, and entrepreneurial spirit present a well-rounded applicant.

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE PROFILE EVALUATION CALL WITH ALUMS AND CURRENT STUDENTS OF TOP B-SCHOOLS!

Testimonials

MBA and Beyond
Marcof11 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a profile evaluation for deferred admissions this year:

Schools: HBS (2+2), Stanford GSB, Wharton (Moelis), Columbia, MIT Sloan.

Country of citizenship: Italy
Currently enrolled in a double master's degree, graduating this summer from both degrees.

Internship and/or work experience
Almost 5 years of part-time working experience in marketing (all 5 in Italy), of which 4 in consulting. All my experience is in small-size companies (this might be my main weakness). On the other hand, this allowed me to take much more responsibilities and develop entrepreneurship and expertise in several industries and functions. I also have entrepreneurship experience, having had a leadership role for one year in a tech startup that I've cofounded.

Company Z | Venture Capital - Will join soon (London, UK)
This is not a job, but I'll join the VC as advisor. It will be a huge opportunity for learning.

University of South Carolina - Research Assistant (USA) - 3 months part-time
Research assitant for a well-known professor of business administration.

Company A | Fintech Start-up - Co-Founder and Head of Growth - 13 months part-time (Remote, Worldwide)
I was responsible for the business, growth, and marketing strategy. We pitched to Y Combinator and Sequoia Capital.
(achievements here are good, but I don't want to share them publicly for confidentiality)

Company B | Consulting Boutique - Consultant–Digital Advertising Specialist - 13 months part-time (Italy)
Worked for two consulting firms owned by the corporation. Provided strategic and marketing consulting, relationships with clients, and advertising management for all the clients of the two firms. In charge of the training of junior consultants.
• Autonomously designed, developed, and implemented an advertising automation system that increased budget efficiency by 598% in the first month, saving 25.000€ annually.
• Managed and brought a minor business branch from 24,8% to 87,3% project margin through advertising automation and changes in the branch’s commercial strategies, while decreasing clients’ churn rate by 60%.
• Oversaw a +50.000€/month advertising budget and spent on digital channels, being responsible for the advertising strategies and spending of all the +100 clients of the two consulting firms.

Company C | Consulting Boutique - Consultant–Marketing Specialist - 30 months part-time (Italy)
Provided strategy and consultation for marketing projects working with local, national, and international brands.
• Planned and implemented digital marketing and advertising strategies for clients in fashion, food, retail and B2B industries.
• Managed relationships with clients for consulting, leading to 90% contract renewal, with 3 significant upsells.

Company D | Winery - Junior Marketing Specialist - 20 months part-time (Italy)
Completed apprenticeship in marketing and the daily management of the firm. Participated in various activities, such as new product development, financial management, e-commerce management, and sales.
• Developed the whole online presence of the winery (e-commerce, marketplaces, and social media) in the first 6 months.

School, major, GPA
Master’s Degree: I’m currently enrolled in a Double Master’s Degree program:
- MSc in Management at Bocconi University (4.0 GPA) - Projected final grade: "Summa cum laude"
- Master of International Business at the Darla Moore School of Business: University of South Carolina (4.0 GPA).
This summer I’ll get both degrees.

- Bachelor: BSc in Digital marketing from a not-ranked (and not great) university. Good GPA 27.7/30 (Italian grading system), final grade 107/110.

GMAT
I'll take the GMAT FE in 10 days, I aim for 705+, and not less than the 95th percentile. The last official mock scores were 675, 695, 685, 715.

International exposure and languages
- Italian native speaker
- 1-year experience in the international startup I co-founded (the team was from 4 different continents).
- I'm spending 1 year in the US for my double degree.
- Passed the HSK1 test (1st level of Chinese language).
- Intermediate level of Spanish.

Leadership experience:
- Team leader for the Global Case Competition at Harvard, representing my business school (2-3 months) [2024]
- Project manager for a real strategy consulting project for a Fortune 100 company - led a team of 14 people (3 months) [2023]
- Head of growth at the startup I co-founded (13 months) [2022]
- Team lead for several projects during my experience in consulting at "Company B" [2022]
- Automotive professional master - Team Leader of the project work (3 months) [2021]
- Start-Up Weekend - Team Leader of the Start-up during the competition. (1 weekend) [2019]

Community involvement:
- Pro-bono consultant and volunteer in a cultural association (musical association),
- Volunteer academic tutor for middle school students with learning disabilities (project in collaboration with Harvard),
- Volunteer at an orphan assistance center.

Career Goals:
My goal after the MBA is to run my own company or to work in venture capitals / private equity.

Unique background factors:
- A lot of work experience, considering that I'm a deferred applicant,
- Entrepreneurial experience (Start-up and VC),
- Double master's degree in two different countries (US and Italy),
- Maybe my nationality (Italian), I'm not sure.

Essays:
Essays will be focused on entrepreneurship, start-up experience, and the fact that I worked during all my studies to grow professionally and be financially independent.

I'm overall proud of what I have done, but these schools (and the deferred admission programs in particular!) are so competitive. Do you think I have a shot?

Thank you in advance!

:)­­­­

­­­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Profile:
BSc Business Administration and Management - Bocconi University
GPA: 27.04
Exchange: Nova Sbe
Work Experience: One internship in Administration and Finance division in a SMEs
NO GMAT

Choices:
Msc Administration, Financial Management and Control (AFC) - Bocconi University    (taught in Italian )
MiM ESCP --> with finance specializations 
MSc Finance and Accounting - Imperial College 
Master of Arts in Accounting and Corporate Finance (MACfin) - St. Gallen 
MSc Finance - Warwick Business School
MSc Finance - Dhuram
MSc Finance - Bayes Business School (City University of London)

Future Plan: Finance Field (IB, M&A, Wealth Management, Asset Management....)
Locations: Zurich, London, Milan..

Considering my profile and future goals, which program do you recommend in terms of reputation, prestige, and exit opportunities?

Alternatively, do you recommend any reputable alternatives that do not require the GMAT?

Thanks in Advance!!

­
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Italic2024

I hope you are doing well. With your Bocconi background and finance goals, several programs stand out without a GMAT requirement.

Bocconi's Msc Administration, Financial Management and Control (AFC) is a strong option. It leverages your existing network and focuses on areas relevant to M&A and corporate finance. However, keep in mind it's taught in Italian.

ESCP's MiM program with a finance specialization offers a great alternative. Its global reputation and flexibility allow you to tailor your studies to specific areas like investment banking or wealth management.

For location preferences, consider the MSc Finance programs at Warwick Business School and Bayes Business School (City University of London). Both are highly respected programs with strong alumni networks in their respective financial hubs (UK and London).

Ultimately, the best program depends on your language comfort level, desired finance focus, and the importance of career services and alumni networks. To strengthen your application, highlight your finance internship and relevant coursework. If applicable, showcase any language skills beyond English, particularly for ESCP. 

Click here to Schedule your free profile analysis with alums and current students of top B-schools!

Testimonials

MBA and Beyond
Quote:

Italic2024Profile:
BSc Business Administration and Management - Bocconi University
GPA: 27.04
Exchange: Nova Sbe
Work Experience: One internship in Administration and Finance division in a SMEs
NO GMAT

Choices:
Msc Administration, Financial Management and Control (AFC) - Bocconi University    (taught in Italian )
MiM ESCP --> with finance specializations 
MSc Finance and Accounting - Imperial College 
Master of Arts in Accounting and Corporate Finance (MACfin) - St. Gallen 
MSc Finance - Warwick Business School
MSc Finance - Dhuram
MSc Finance - Bayes Business School (City University of London)

Future Plan: Finance Field (IB, M&A, Wealth Management, Asset Management....)
Locations: Zurich, London, Milan..

Considering my profile and future goals, which program do you recommend in terms of reputation, prestige, and exit opportunities?

Alternatively, do you recommend any reputable alternatives that do not require the GMAT?

Thanks in Advance!!

­

­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q85 V80 DI76
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 4: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
­Hi, please evaluate my profile:
X - 90% (ICSE)
XII - 90% (ISC)
B.tech - 64% (Private college affiliated to State university)
Post graduate diploma - 80% (Top institute)

Profile: Indian, Engineer, Male

1. Participated in college events (yoga event, tech fest, cultural fest)
2. Participated in workshops related to tech after college hours

First job--->
Role - Project Engineer
Company: a prestigious Government organization
Industry: Government/Education management/ IT
Impact: Managed and conducted national level exams and developed student portal which was used pan India

Second job--->
Role - Software Engineer (got one promotion)
Company: a USA-based MNC
Industry: IT/ Oil and Gas
Impact: Developed software features that reduced client cost significantly, that assisted site engineer, and that provided user better insights for his refinery

Currently on a break for past 1 year. Didn't want to work in tech anymore and wanted to focus on GMAT as well as experienced a mental and physcial burnout. How will this break in career impact my application?

Goals: Post-mba want to work in Financial services/Banking
Current GMAT FE score - 615 (5th attempt) - 80th percentile

I want to know that what bschools should I target? I am interested in both 1 year and 2 year programs. I am also open for any location.

Should I apply now in round 3 or wait till September 2024 for round 1?

Feel free to add your 2cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
­Is this tool based on Focus edition scores?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello cigarboy,

I hope you are doing well. Your profile has a lot of potential for strong MBA applications. Your high scores in early education and your postgraduate diploma from a top institute showcase your academic strengths. The experience you gained across a prestigious government organization and a US MNC in IT demonstrates both adaptability and a global perspective. Your work with national exams, the student portal, and cost-saving software features highlight your leadership and problem-solving skills. You also have a clear goal of transitioning into financial services/banking.

There are a couple of areas to focus on for improvement. While your GMAT score is decent, aiming for a score closer to the average of your target schools (ideally above 700) would strengthen your application. In your essays, address the break in your career. Explain how you used the time productively, whether it was GMAT prep or taking care of yourself after burnout.

When considering schools, you have options for both 1-year and 2-year programs. For 1-year programs, some top choices include the University of Chicago Booth (Executive MBA), Columbia Business School (Executive MBA), MIT Sloan (EMBA), and Kellogg School of Management (Executive MBA). For 2-year programs, target schools with strong alumni networks in financial services, such as Columbia, NYU Stern, Wharton, Chicago Booth, and MIT Sloan. Look into schools with dedicated programs in financial services too, like Duke's Fuqua School of Business (Financial Markets).

Your openness to locations is a big advantage! It gives you a wider range of schools to consider. Applying in Round 1 gives you the best shot at the most competitive programs. Use the next few months to improve your GMAT score and refine your application essays. However, some schools have strong Round 3 programs, so research specific deadlines if you can't significantly improve your GMAT score by then.

Here are some additional tips:
1. Network with alumni from your target schools to get a feel for the program culture and application expectations.
2. Highlight the transferable skills you have from your engineering background that would be valuable in financial services, like analytical thinking and problem-solving.

Overall, your profile has a strong foundation for an MBA application, with a clear career switch goal. Focus on strengthening your GMAT score and crafting compelling essays to showcase your potential for success in a financial services/banking MBA program.

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE PROFILE EVALUATION CALL WITH OUR PROFILE EXPERTS

Testimonials

MBA and Beyond
Quote:

cigarboy­Hi, please evaluate my profile:
X - 90% (ICSE)
XII - 90% (ISC)
B.tech - 64% (Private college affiliated to State university)
Post graduate diploma - 80% (Top institute)

Profile: Indian, Engineer, Male

1. Participated in college events (yoga event, tech fest, cultural fest)
2. Participated in workshops related to tech after college hours

First job--->
Role - Project Engineer
Company: a prestigious Government organization
Industry: Government/Education management/ IT
Impact: Managed and conducted national level exams and developed student portal which was used pan India

Second job--->
Role - Software Engineer (got one promotion)
Company: a USA-based MNC
Industry: IT/ Oil and Gas
Impact: Developed software features that reduced client cost significantly, that assisted site engineer, and that provided user better insights for his refinery

Currently on a break for past 1 year. Didn't want to work in tech anymore and wanted to focus on GMAT as well as experienced a mental and physcial burnout. How will this break in career impact my application?

Goals: Post-mba want to work in Financial services/Banking
Current GMAT FE score - 615 (5th attempt) - 80th percentile

I want to know that what bschools should I target? I am interested in both 1 year and 2 year programs. I am also open for any location.

Should I apply now in round 3 or wait till September 2024 for round 1?

Feel free to add your 2cents.

­
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23