Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:37 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74327 [381]
Given Kudos: 20635
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q167 V157
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Theprince wrote:
Hello All,

I am applying for fall 2024 intake.
Gmat score - 750
cgpa 8.82/10 mechanical engineering.
worked in a manufacturing industry (fortune 500 company )as a FEA analyst for 3.5 years and before that I have start up experience of 1year.
My main goal of doing an MBA is use it as a stepping stone to move to consulting industry.
right now i am in application phase

so my confusion is - Right now i am searching for a job in consultancy as it will be a good idea to have some past experience. My idea is this will help in post mba job search. so right now i have a gap of 3 months in work ex should i explain it to adcom via optional essay or not.
because, in some of the adcom sessions, I have heard that if the gap is short 3-4 months no need to mention as it will seek unnecessary attention.
what should i do? any suggestions?
or the gap is going to affect negatively as it's in the application phase?

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..

Hello Theprince,

It is a good idea to address a gap even if it is short 3-month one. This way, the Ad Com will not be double guessing the reason for it; we do not think that the gap will have any major negative impact on your application; however, it would be best if you could minimize it.

All the best!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
sudutt-h wrote:
Hi!
I am currently preparing for Round 2 for Fall 2024 Intake and wanted to have my profile reviewed. I am not yet sure about which schools would align with my profile and how to prepare for their applications and scholarships, so any advice would be appreciated!

Background and nationality:
25 year old male, from India.

Education:
10th - ICSE board, 94%
12th - ISC board, 94.8%
Entrance exams - All India Rank 284 (out of 1.2 million applicants, JEE Advanced)
Undergrad - IIT KGP, Dual Degree CSE, 7.79/10

GMAT:
720 (Q50, V38)

Work experience and leadership:
Working in Accenture Japan, currently at 1.5 years (2+ till matriculation) .
Completed three internships successfully (May-July 2018, May 2019-Apr 2020, May-July 2021)
Member of Computer Science Department Society for 2017-2020, President for the year 2019-2020.
Organised up.AI, one of India's earliest summits to promote AI for social good, in October 2018.
Student mentor for four first-year UG students under Student Welfare Group for 2018-2019.
Captain of the Infosec team, of the IIT KGP contingent to the Inter IIT Tech Meet 2019, held at IIT Roorkee. Participated again in 2020 as a member.

Extra-curriculars:
Was an NCC Cadet (Air Wing) from 2016 to 2018 under "3 Bengal Tech Air Squadron NCC"
Passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N4 in December 2022 (128/180)
Can speak in four languages (Marathi, Hindi, English, Japanese)
Participated in a couple of crypto hackathons (November 2021, February 2022)
Participated in multiple CTFs (Capture-the-flag) events during college.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the above. What aspects should I be focusing in my choice of schools & their applications?

sudutt-h

Why do you want to apply for an MBA so early in your career? You are the kind of applicant whose profile can only improve with time and experience. Given your academic background and international experience in your first job, I believe you have a strong chance of gaining admission to M7 schools, INSEAD, or LBS in 2-3 years. At present, you don't have the ideal amount of work experience for a top business school. If you're considering a move to India in near future, you could explore ISB as an option.

Feel free to have an open discussion with me about your prospects.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap our discussion hours for our applicants

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Send PM
Expert Reply
sudutt-h wrote:
Hi!
I am currently preparing for Round 2 for Fall 2024 Intake and wanted to have my profile reviewed. I am not yet sure about which schools would align with my profile and how to prepare for their applications and scholarships, so any advice would be appreciated!

Education:
10th - ICSE board, 94%
12th - ISC board, 94.8%
Entrance exams - All India Rank 284 (out of 1.2 million applicants, JEE Advanced)

GMAT:
720 (Q50, V38)

Completed three internships successfully (May-July 2018, May 2019-Apr 2020, May-July 2021)
Member of Computer Science Department Society for 2017-2020, President for the year 2019-2020.
Organised up.AI, one of India's earliest summits to promote AI for social good, in October 2018.
Student mentor for four first-year UG students under Student Welfare Group for 2018-2019.
Captain of the Infosec team, of the IIT KGP contingent to the Inter IIT Tech Meet 2019, held at IIT Roorkee. Participated again in 2020 as a member.

Extra-curriculars:
Was an NCC Cadet (Air Wing) from 2016 to 2018 under "3 Bengal Tech Air Squadron NCC"
Passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N4 in December 2022 (128/180)

Please let me know if there are any problems with the above. What aspects should I be focusing in my choice of schools & their applications?

Hello sudutt-h,

Thanks for writing in.

First things first, you have a lot going for you with the IIT pedigree, international exposure at work, and leadership experiences during your extra-curricular engagements. Practically speaking, you should delay your MBA plans by a year at least; this will provide you time to garner an additional year of work. experience, a leadership role at work, additional talking points with regard to professional projects, and time to further improve your GMAT score and target the US top ~15 programs.

Our experience is fairly low at the moment; the ideal situation would be to build the profile and apply post that. If you absolutely cannot wait, an alternate plan will need to be chalked out.

All the best!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
sudutt-h wrote:
Hi!

Education:
10th - ICSE board, 94%
12th - ISC board, 94.8%

GMAT:
720 (Q50, V38)

Extra-curriculars:

👋 Hey sudutt-h,

Here is what I would suggest:

📈 Strengths:

➡️ Strong Academic Foundation: Your JEE rank is stellar; placing 284th out of 1.2 million is a commendable achievement.
➡️ IIT Pedigree: IITs are known globally, and holding a dual degree from IIT KGP in Computer Science stands out.
➡️ International Exposure: Working in Accenture Japan adds a global dimension to your profile, which B-schools appreciate. Your proficiency in Japanese, as evidenced by your JLPT score, further emphasizes this point.
➡️ Leadership & Initiatives: Serving as the president of the Computer Science Department Society, organizing the AI summit, and captaining the Infosec team exhibit strong leadership and organizational skills.
➡️ Diverse Skillset: Participation in crypto hackathons and CTF events highlights your practical tech skills.

🔍 Areas to Enhance:

➡️ GMAT Score: While 720 is competitive, the GMAT average for top-tier schools is higher, especially for Indian applicants.
➡️ Clarity of Goals: With your diverse experiences, it's essential to articulate a coherent story explaining why you want an MBA and how it fits into your future plans.

🌐 Recommendations:

➡️ Differentiate Yourself: Emphasize your unique experiences in Japan, your leadership roles, and tech initiatives to set yourself apart from the typical Indian IT applicant.
➡️ Post-MBA Goals: Clearly define your short-term and long-term goals. Considering your tech background, are you aiming for product management roles in FAANG companies? Or perhaps tech consulting or even fintech?
➡️ Community Engagement: Schools value community involvement. If possible, engage more deeply with initiatives in Japan or online communities centered around tech-for-good.
➡️ School Selection: Based on your profile, consider applying to a mix of top-tier, mid-tier, and safety schools. Examples include: Columbia, Wharton, Tuck, Ross, Darden, Tepper, Cornell, and Kellogg.
➡️ Scholarships: Once you've shortlisted your schools, research their scholarship opportunities. Some have separate applications, while others automatically consider all applicants.
➡️ Tailor your essays to show fit and how you'll contribute to the program.
In summary, your profile is robust, but crafting a compelling story that ties everything together will be crucial.
➡️ Tailor your applications to highlight your strengths and how you align with each school's values and culture.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

👉 Click Here to Set-Up a FREE Call 👈
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
sudutt-h wrote:
Hi!

Education:
10th - ICSE board, 94%
12th - ISC board, 94.8%

GMAT:
720 (Q50, V38)

Extra-curriculars:

sudutt-h, some feedback on your profile and plans:

1. The academic arc is good, given the IIT pedigree and 10/12th scores. GMAT is fine, but might be a bit on the lower side for some (particularly M7/T-10) schools considering the Indian Male applicant perspective. In general, targeting 10-20+ points above the school's average helps. While your international/ consulting work-ex could potentially offset this concern, it's something to keep in mind.

2. Pre-MBA consulting experience and the association with Accenture are positive factors. Mapping transferable skills to your post MBA goals can help, assuming you are clear on the target sector/ function/ role you'd like to be in post MBA. This would also impact which schools you should consider and eventually prioritize.

3. MBA programs typically require atleast 2 years work-ex at joining, and while you may satisfy that criteria, the less work-ex would be a challenge when applying this year. If you're open to applying in the next or following year, several ways to strengthen your profile can be found here: https://admitstreet.com/blog/how-to-improve-mba-profile/
Alternatively, there are other programs such as MiM, Masters etc. which typically have candidates with 0-2 year work-ex pre-course. Something to think about based on your timelines and priorities.

Hope this helps a bit. feel free to reach out through the link below for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum | Admissions Interviewer
W:https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.46
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ,

How much does it affect my application if I have a 2 months gap and I am unemployed at the time of applying to a masters in European schools ?
I currently have 15 months of experience and I am applying for programs which do not require any work experience.

Thanks
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Archie100,

I hope you are doing good. Having a short gap in your employment when applying for master's programs in European schools should not significantly affect your application, especially if you can provide a reasonable explanation for the gap.

If you have a valid reason for the two-month gap in your employment, such as personal reasons, relocation, or taking some time off for a specific purpose like preparing for your master's application, it's important to be transparent about this in your application. Admissions committees generally understand that brief employment gaps can occur for legitimate reasons.

Admissions committees consider your entire application holistically. Your academic achievements, test scores, recommendation letters, statement of purpose, and other aspects of your profile are important. If your overall profile is strong and you have compelling reasons for the brief unemployment gap, it is unlikely to be a major issue.

As you mentioned, the master's programs you are applying to do not require work experience. This means that you are not at a disadvantage for lacking work experience, and the focus will likely be more on your academic and personal qualifications.

If the program includes interviews as part of the admission process, be prepared to discuss your employment gap. Be honest and concise in explaining the reason for the gap and how you have used the time productively.

In summary, a short employment gap of two months should not significantly harm your chances of admission to master's programs in European schools, especially if you provide a reasonable explanation and can demonstrate that you've used the time effectively to enhance your qualifications or address personal matters. Admissions committees understand that life circumstances can vary, and they typically take a holistic view of applicants' profiles.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation call with us to discuss your gap and give a fair evaluation of your chances of admission to your desired schools.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Archie100 wrote:
Hi ,

How much does it affect my application if I have a 2 months gap and I am unemployed at the time of applying to a masters in European schools ?
I currently have 15 months of experience and I am applying for programs which do not require any work experience.

Thanks
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello sudutt-h,

I hope you are doing good. Your profile is strong and well-rounded, which is a good starting point for applying to top-tier business schools. Speaking about your academics, your academic achievements, including your rank in the JEE Advanced entrance exam and your performance at IIT KGP, demonstrate your intellectual capabilities. A GMAT score of 720 (Q50, V38) is competitive for many top MBA programs.

Coming to your work experience, your experience is relatively short at 1.5 years (with 2+ years expected by matriculation), the fact that you are working at Accenture Japan could be a unique and valuable aspect of your profile. Highlight the international exposure and any significant achievements or leadership roles you've taken on during your time there.

Your leadership roles in the Computer Science Department Society, your role as the President, and your involvement in organizing up.AI demonstrate your leadership skills and the ability to take initiative. The NCC experience adds to your leadership background. These experiences will be valuable when highlighting your ability to contribute to MBA programs. Your proficiency in multiple languages, including Japanese, can be a significant asset, especially if you plan to leverage this skill in your future career or if you are interested in schools with strong ties to Asia. As an Indian applicant with international work experience in Japan, you add diversity to the applicant pool, which many schools value.

Research MBA programs that align with your goals and interests. Consider schools known for their strengths in technology, consulting, or international business, given your background and career aspirations. Reach out to alumni or current students to gain insights into the school's culture and opportunities. Also, look into scholarship opportunities at the schools you are interested in. Your academic and leadership achievements make you a competitive candidate for scholarships.

Be clear about your post-MBA career goals. How does an MBA fit into your long-term plans? Admissions committees want to see a clear and logical connection between your past experiences, your MBA, and your future aspirations. Tailor your application essays, interviews, and recommendations to each school. Showcase how your unique experiences and skills will contribute to the specific program's community and culture.

Craft a compelling resume and essays that tell your story coherently, highlighting your strengths, experiences, and what you can bring to the MBA program.

Overall, your profile is strong, and with careful school selection and a well-prepared application, you have a good chance of gaining admission to top MBA programs. Be authentic in your application, showcasing your unique qualities and contributions.

Good luck with your applications!

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation call with our profile experts to discuss your profile better and help you with shortlisting top B-schools.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

sudutt-h wrote:
Hi!

Education:
10th - ICSE board, 94%
12th - ISC board, 94.8%

GMAT:
720 (Q50, V38)

Extra-curriculars:

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Archie100 wrote:
Hi ,

Thanks

Archie100 - for Masters programs, since they typically accept candidates with 0-2 years work-ex, your gap shouldn't be a cause for concern. Be transparent in the application though, showing your career progression, mentioning the gap and importantly any progress (e.g. courses you did, skills you picked up etc.) during those months. This would help alleviate any (less likely) concerns about the gap.

Since you haven't mentioned your undergrad/ GMAT scores, work-ex details etc. I'm unable to comment on those aspects. However those would matter much more.

Regards,
Arvind
W:https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for HEC-Yale M2M Program

Background:

Nationality: Indian
Current Year: 3rd Year of B.Tech in Computer Science and Data Science
University: Mumbai University

Academic Achievements:

Current GPA: 3.30
GRE Score: 311 (Planning to retake for improvement)

Research and Publications:

Applied for a patent in South Africa
Two research papers published in Scopus-indexed journals
Statistics project under a professor at UC Davis

Internship and Work Experience:

Research Intern at TCS-Research for 2 months
Two meaningful internships in Quantitative Finance at startups
Research Assistant in a personal capacity under Dr. Maxime Pouokam, UC Davis

Extracurricular Activities:

Founded and led two Data Science committees in college- conducting hackathons, workshops, raising around 5000 dollars, teaching various domains to a group of 60 students.
Actively involved in research and innovation, including patent applications

I am seeking an evaluation of my profile to assess my chances of admission to the HEC-Yale M2M Program.

Your insights and advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 973 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
agreeable_swimmer wrote:
Profile Evaluation for HEC-Yale M2M Program

Background:

Nationality: Indian
Current Year: 3rd Year of B.Tech in Computer Science and Data Science
University: Mumbai University

Academic Achievements:

Current GPA: 3.30
GRE Score: 311 (Planning to retake for improvement)

Research and Publications:

Applied for a patent in South Africa
Two research papers published in Scopus-indexed journals
Statistics project under a professor at UC Davis

Internship and Work Experience:

Research Intern at TCS-Research for 2 months
Two meaningful internships in Quantitative Finance at startups
Research Assistant in a personal capacity under Dr. Maxime Pouokam, UC Davis

Extracurricular Activities:

Founded and led two Data Science committees in college- conducting hackathons, workshops, raising around 5000 dollars, teaching various domains to a group of 60 students.
Actively involved in research and innovation, including patent applications

I am seeking an evaluation of my profile to assess my chances of admission to the HEC-Yale M2M Program.

Your insights and advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

GRE might need improvement but I think we could work with this profile/

Great ECs, Accomplishments are definitely amazing and I believe that you can get more out of this profile as this definitely lies in the above average pool! Will also depend when are you planning to apply?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V36
GRE 1: Q162 V161
GPA: 3.34
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your opinions. I'm applying for R2 deadlines and need guidance on my profile.

Background:

Indian-American female (Raised in US so not international), 25. Undergrad: Top 20 Private School (Think Cornell, Rice, Vanderbilt etc.)

Work Experience:

About 3 years in large energy technology company. I am part of a three year engineering management rotational program so I've had experience in operations engineering, sales engineering and finance.

Undergrad Stats:

Major: Chemical Engineering, GPA: 3.34

GRE: 323 (161 V 162 Q). I think this is my best score.

Post MBA Goals:

Strategy Consulting with a focus on sustainability

MBA Targets: Ross, Darden, Tepper, Anderson, Stern and CBS.

Extracurriculars: Part of a mentorship program to encourage girls to pursue STEM, heavily involved in recruiting for my program. I was the president of my AICHE chapter at my school and involved in other clubs too.

Please let me know how I stand, thank you.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
sashok98 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your opinions. I'm applying for R2 deadlines and need guidance on my profile.

Background:

Indian-American female (Raised in US so not international), 25. Undergrad: Top 20 Private School (Think Cornell, Rice, Vanderbilt etc.)

Work Experience:

About 3 years in large energy technology company. I am part of a three year engineering management rotational program so I've had experience in operations engineering, sales engineering and finance.

Undergrad Stats:

Post MBA Goals:

Extracurriculars: Part of a mentorship program to encourage girls to pursue STEM, heavily involved in recruiting for my program. I was the president of my AICHE chapter at my school and involved in other clubs too.

👋 Hey sashok98,

I came across your profile evaluation query on the forum and thought I'd reach out to offer some assistance from my own experience.

So here is what I would suggest:

Your profile presents a mix of solid academics, professional experience, and a clear vision for post-MBA goals. Let's discuss each component:

Strengths:

➡️ Diverse Work Experience 🛠️: Your rotational program in a large energy technology company has given you varied exposure from operations engineering to sales engineering and finance. This diverse experience is valuable and showcases adaptability.

➡️ Extracurricular Activities 🌟: Your involvement in mentoring girls in STEM is commendable. It provides a strong narrative of giving back and pushing for gender equity in the field. Your leadership role as the president of the AICHE chapter and participation in other clubs further strengthens this facet.

➡️ Post-MBA Goals 🎯: Strategy Consulting with a focus on sustainability aligns well with your background in energy technology and your interest in sustainability, making it a coherent narrative.

Areas for Consideration & Suggestions:

➡️ GRE Score 📈: While your score of 323 is decent, it's slightly on the lower side for some of your target schools, especially Stern and CBS. If possible, consider retaking the GRE. If not, make sure other parts of your application shine to compensate.

➡️ Undergraduate GPA 📊: A 3.34 GPA in Chemical Engineering from a top school is respectable. However, emphasizing challenging coursework, projects, or any upward trend can provide context.

➡️ Essay & Story Crafting 📜: Narrate how your experiences in the energy tech domain, combined with your extracurriculars, have influenced your aspiration for sustainability-focused strategy consulting. Your background, combined with your desire to promote sustainability, is an engaging story.

➡️ Letter of Recommendation (LOR) 💌: Seek recommendations from those who've observed your professional growth, especially during the rotational program. This can offer an external validation of your achievements and potential.

Recommendations for Application:

➡️ Program Research 📘: Ensure you research each program's unique offerings related to sustainability and strategy consulting. Tailor your application and essays to highlight why each school aligns with your goals.

➡️ Networking 🤝: Engage with current students or alumni from your target schools. Their insights can provide valuable direction and even strengthen your application.

Outlook on MBA Targets 🏫:
➡️ Dream: Tepper, Ross, Darden, Stern, CBS
➡️ Competitive: Duke, UNC, USC Marshall

To wrap up, you have a compelling profile. Focusing on crafting a strong narrative, polishing your essays, and making connections at your target schools can significantly enhance your chances.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Or DM for help!

👉 Click Here to Schedule a FREE Call 👈
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Send PM
sashok98 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Background:

Work Experience:

Undergrad Stats:

Post MBA Goals:

sashok98: a few q's before sharing some feedback:

1. Were there any role progressions/ promotions within your rotation program? A bit of context (respecting confidentiality) around your work-activities would be great.
2. In your roles, were you involved in any client-facing/ external work, or were these more internal roles?
3. Have you worked on any sustainability projects, at or outside your company?

Regards,
Arvind
W:https://admitstreet.com| E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 8.56
Send PM
Hi! I recently gave my first attempt of GMAT. I am quite overwhelmed with all the information about admissions and schools. I want to get some clarity on where does my profile stand.

This is my first post on GMAT Club. So do let me know if this post should go elsewhere.

GMAT: 720 (Q51 V36 IR7)

About me
Indian, Engineer, Male

UG Details

University: BITS Pilani
Degree: B.E. Electrical and Electronics (Graduated in Aug 2020)
CGPA: 8.56 / 10
POR: Treasurer, IEEE Chapter

Work Experience

Full time
  • Full stack founding engineer at a fintech startup (Sep 2022 - present)
  • Software Development Engineer at a unicorn (Mar 2022 - Aug 2022)
  • Member Technical Staff at a fortune 100 company (Sep 2020 - Feb 2022)

Part time
  • Software consulting for three startups so far

Extra curricular activities
None

Post MBA Goals

• Global exposure
  • Consulting / Product / Strategy roles in the fintech space

Preferred MBA Programs

I am at a very early stage in my school research. Ideally I would prefer a shorter, full time program. such as the tech MBA programs at Stern and Cornell. Post MBA I want to work in Fintech, so programs at Oxford and LBS that offer a specialisation in Finance also seem quite appealing to me. Having said that, if there is a possibility that I can get into an M7 program with few changes to my profile, I will take that any day.

I have worked extensively with international folks in almost all my roles so far. I think these experiences should supplement my post MBA goal of global exposure quite well.
  • Current job – The entire team is based in London. I have had multiple opportunities to interact with users and stakeholders from several European countries
  • Fortune 100 – I worked with teams in the US, Canada and Germany
  • Part time – Companies in Dubai and Singapore

Similarly, I think I will be able to define my motivations for Product, Strategy and Consulting roles well with my career trajectory so far.

I know that my GMAT Score is not adequate considering I am a part of the over represented pool. If necessary, I will retake the GMAT exam.

Some specific questions

• How to shortlist schools? My GMAT score, work experience is not too far off of the class profiles of some of the top programs. But I don't quite understand how to factor in my demographic disadvantage while self-evaluating my chances.
  • Do my post MBA goals make sense?
  • What aspects should I focus on in my choice of schools & their applications?

Please let me know if there are any problems with the above. Any suggestions, comments, questions are welcome.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
yashtotla wrote:
Hi! I recently gave my first attempt of GMAT. I am quite overwhelmed with all the information about admissions and schools. I want to get some clarity on where does my profile stand.

This is my first post on GMAT Club. So do let me know if this post should go elsewhere.

GMAT: 720 (Q51 V36 IR7)

About me
Indian, Engineer, Male

UG Details

University: BITS Pilani
Degree: B.E. Electrical and Electronics (Graduated in Aug 2020)
CGPA: 8.56 / 10
POR: Treasurer, IEEE Chapter

Work Experience

Full time
  • Full stack founding engineer at a fintech startup (Sep 2022 - present)
  • Software Development Engineer at a unicorn (Mar 2022 - Aug 2022)
  • Member Technical Staff at a fortune 100 company (Sep 2020 - Feb 2022)

Part time
  • Software consulting for three startups so far

Extra curricular activities
None

Post MBA Goals

• Global exposure
  • Consulting / Product / Strategy roles in the fintech space

Preferred MBA Programs

I am at a very early stage in my school research. Ideally I would prefer a shorter, full time program. such as the tech MBA programs at Stern and Cornell. Post MBA I want to work in Fintech, so programs at Oxford and LBS that offer a specialisation in Finance also seem quite appealing to me. Having said that, if there is a possibility that I can get into an M7 program with few changes to my profile, I will take that any day.

I have worked extensively with international folks in almost all my roles so far. I think these experiences should supplement my post MBA goal of global exposure quite well.
  • Current job – The entire team is based in London. I have had multiple opportunities to interact with users and stakeholders from several European countries
  • Fortune 100 – I worked with teams in the US, Canada and Germany
  • Part time – Companies in Dubai and Singapore

Similarly, I think I will be able to define my motivations for Product, Strategy and Consulting roles well with my career trajectory so far.

I know that my GMAT Score is not adequate considering I am a part of the over represented pool. If necessary, I will retake the GMAT exam.

Some specific questions

• How to shortlist schools? My GMAT score, work experience is not too far off of the class profiles of some of the top programs. But I don't quite understand how to factor in my demographic disadvantage while self-evaluating my chances.
  • Do my post MBA goals make sense?
  • What aspects should I focus on in my choice of schools & their applications?

Please let me know if there are any problems with the above. Any suggestions, comments, questions are welcome.

👋 Hey yashtotla,

I came across your profile evaluation query on the forum and thought I'd reach out to offer some assistance from my own experience.

Strengths:

➡️ Diverse Work Experience 🛠️: Your work at a fintech startup, a unicorn company, and a Fortune 100 shows a good trajectory in a short time. It's rare to see such diversity within a span of just a few years, which bodes well for your applications.

➡️ International Exposure 🌍: Having collaborated with teams across the US, Canada, Germany, Dubai, Singapore, and Europe provides a solid foundation for your post-MBA goal of gaining global exposure.

➡️ Technical Background 💻: Your role as a full-stack engineer in fintech and your consulting for startups highlight technical proficiency. Such experiences can position you well for roles in product management or strategy in fintech post-MBA.

➡️ Academic Pedigree 📘: BITS Pilani is a well-recognized institution, and a CGPA of 8.56 is commendable. Your position as the Treasurer for the IEEE Chapter further augments your leadership in academic pursuits.

Areas for Consideration & Suggestions:

➡️ GMAT Score 📈: While a score of 720 is incredible, but remember that GMAT is just 25% of your whole application so you would also need to craft a solid application which can showcase the impact you made during your work ex, extra-curriculars, and startup experience, etc.

➡️ Extracurricular Activities 🌟: The absence of significant extracurricular activities might create a gap. It’s not just about what you've achieved professionally; business schools value holistic profiles. Consider getting involved in community service or volunteeting outside of work.

➡️ Application Narrative 📜: With a technical background, ensure your essays and recommendations weave a compelling story about your transition into strategy/consulting roles in fintech. Your work experiences can be valuable here.

➡️ M7 Schools 🎓: Getting into an M7 school is highly competitive. You may stand a chance, but ensure you're also applying to a good mix of schools including target, competitive, and safety options.

Answers to Specific Questions:

Shortlisting Schools 🏫: When factoring in demographic disadvantage, understand that many top schools have numerous applications from the same pool. This is why they seek uniqueness in stories and experiences. Dive deep into each program's culture, teaching methodology, and employment reports. Align these with your goals.

Post MBA Goals 🎯: Your goals make sense given your background, but clarity is crucial. Whether you lean towards consulting, product, or strategy, ensure that the roles you aspire for are clearly articulated in fintech.

Focus Areas 🔍: Emphasize your international exposure, highlight your progression and achievements at work, and demonstrate your understanding and passion for fintech. For applications, each essay, recommendation, and interview should weave into your overall story and aspirations.

Outlook on MBA Targets 🏫:

➡️ Dream: Oxford, LBS, Wharton, Booth
➡️ Competitive: Duke, Kellogg, Tech MBA programs at Stern and Cornell
➡️ Safe: Foster, Boston, Babson

To conclude, you have a solid profile with good potential. Create a compelling narrative, and diving deep into extracurriculars can further strengthen your application.

Or DM for help!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Experts,
Please help me evaluate my profile for US Top 10 (Cornell Johnson) and other schools in Europe.

GMAT 700
Q 49 V 35
IR 5 AWA 5

Male, Indian 27

Professional Summary:
Job 1 : Mechanical Engineer in Dubai (UAE): Voltas Limited (Construction) (July 2019-Oct-2020) 15 months
Roles: Project Bidding, Budgeting, Tendering and Estimation

6 month buffer in moving back to India to find jobs in Covid.

Job 2: Consultant (EY) (July 2021)-Present
Engagement 1: Handling the merger of 7 Indian subsidiaries of Tata Steel.
Engagement 2: Handling SAP Projects for a Fortune 500 client (Tata Steel) and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (36 months experience in this job by July '2024).

A total of 51 months of work experience by July 2024.

Extra Curriculars in Undergrad
1. Leader (AIESEC)- Partnered with local orgs and helped them raise projects which were worked upon by foreign interns. This helped companies increase their cultural diversity. Projects raised were worth ($20000+)
We organized events themed around the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
(Youth Speak Forum-A common platform for college students to interact with industry titans.)

2. Team Lead-ISHRAE-We won a grant ($1500) to design an environment friendly cooling system and created a working prototype. This was from among a team of 100+ teams that applied for the grant throughout the country.

Extra Curriculars in my current job:
EY-Foundation - Mentoring students from underprivileged backgrounds in deciding their future action plans by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce).
Toastmasters International:- Was part of this club while working in Dubai. I do engage with local entities (India) as a part time member.

Educational Summary
Undergrad: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (2015-19) from a tier 1 college in India. CGPA 7.96; GPA 3.33. (KIIT Bhubaneswar)
10th (ICSE)-86%
12th (ICSE)-79% (Science)

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to generalist roles initially to get an idea of the market.
I look forward to transitioning into senior strategy consulting roles. Operations interest me too.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
scrantonstrangler wrote:
Hi Experts,
Please help me evaluate my profile for US Top 10 (Cornell Johnson) and other schools in Europe.

GMAT 700
Q 49 V 35
IR 5 AWA 5

Male, Indian 27

Professional Summary:
Job 1 : Mechanical Engineer in Dubai (UAE): Voltas Limited (Construction) (July 2019-Oct-2020) 15 months
Roles: Project Bidding, Budgeting, Tendering and Estimation

6 month buffer in moving back to India to find jobs in Covid.

Job 2: Consultant (EY) (July 2021)-Present
Engagement 1: Handling the merger of 7 Indian subsidiaries of Tata Steel.
Engagement 2: Handling SAP Projects for a Fortune 500 client (Tata Steel) and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (36 months experience in this job by July '2024).

A total of 51 months of work experience by July 2024.

Extra Curriculars in Undergrad
1. Leader (AIESEC)- Partnered with local orgs and helped them raise projects which were worked upon by foreign interns. This helped companies increase their cultural diversity. Projects raised were worth ($20000+)
We organized events themed around the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
(Youth Speak Forum-A common platform for college students to interact with industry titans.)

2. Team Lead-ISHRAE-We won a grant ($1500) to design an environment friendly cooling system and created a working prototype. This was from among a team of 100+ teams that applied for the grant throughout the country.

Extra Curriculars in my current job:
EY-Foundation - Mentoring students from underprivileged backgrounds in deciding their future action plans by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce).
Toastmasters International:- Was part of this club while working in Dubai. I do engage with local entities (India) as a part time member.

Educational Summary
Undergrad: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (2015-19) from a tier 1 college in India. CGPA 7.96; GPA 3.33. (KIIT Bhubaneswar)
10th (ICSE)-86%
12th (ICSE)-79% (Science)

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to generalist roles initially to get an idea of the market.
I look forward to transitioning into senior strategy consulting roles. Operations interest me too.

👋 Hey scrantonstrangler,

💼 Strong Professional Trajectory:

➡️ Working in a high-paced environment like Dubai with Voltas Limited, especially in roles such as Project Bidding and Tendering, is a significant asset.

➡️ Your engagements, especially the merger of Tata Steel's subsidiaries and handling massive SAP Projects, are impressive. The rapid promotions within a short span speak volumes about your competence.

➡️ Having worked in Dubai and handled projects across different geographies like SE Asia, Canada, and Europe gives you a global edge. This is especially valuable for international MBA programs.

➡️ Graduating from a Tier-1 college like KIIT Bhubaneswar in Mechanical Engineering showcases your academic rigour.

🌍 Meaningful Extra-Curriculars:

➡️ AIESEC Leadership: Your involvement in raising projects worth $20,000+ and contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals demonstrates significant impact and initiative.

➡️ ISHRAE Initiative: Leading a team that secured a competitive grant and designing an eco-friendly cooling system is noteworthy. 🍃

➡️ Mentoring underprivileged students aligns with EY's ethos of building a better working world. Your Toastmasters involvement indicates strong communication and leadership skills.

🚧 Areas of Improvement:

➡️ GMAT Score: While 700 is commendable, raising it slightly could further solidify your chances at not just Cornell Johnson, but also at M.Ross, Kellogg, Darden and other top-tier schools.

🎯 School-wise Chances and Recommendations:

➡️ Dream: Cornell, Kellogg, Darden, INSEAD, HEC Paris
➡️ Competitive: Duke, NYU, Imperial, M.Ross, Tuck, McCombs
➡️ Safe: G.Foster, Boston, Babson

💡 Recommendation:

Your post-MBA goals of breaking into MBB firms resonate with your consulting experience. Make sure to articulate in your essays how an MBA will bridge your current role at EY to strategy roles at MBB. The clearer this narrative, the more compelling your application! 🚀✨

Or DM for help!

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21  ...  24