Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 13:47 It is currently 14 May 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73202 [371]
Given Kudos: 18960
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello Priy22,

I hope you are doing good. You have a competitive profile for top business schools, and with the right application strategy, you can aim for admission to some of the best MBA programs in the world. Your strong academic record in 10th, 12th, and B.Tech, along with an All India Rank of 148 in GATE, demonstrates your academic prowess. A GMAT score of 720 is competitive and should meet the requirements of most top business schools.

Speaking about your work experience, eight years of work experience in a prominent PSU like Indian Oil Corp. Ltd. is a significant asset. Your role as a Production Manager in the Operations Department indicates leadership and management experience. Your leadership roles as Vice-President at the College editorial Board and your achievements in sports showcase your well-rounded personality and leadership skills. Hobbies like writing poetry, painting, and singing add depth to your profile.

Be prepared to explain in your application why you started an MBA at NITIE but didn't complete it. Admissions committees will want to understand the rationale behind your decision to leave the program. While your background in Chemical Engineering and experience at Indian Oil Corp. is valuable, it's essential to highlight how an MBA will enhance your skills and help you transition to a new career path.

Your essays and letters of recommendation will be crucial in conveying your story, career goals, and why you're a strong fit for each specific school. Take the time to craft compelling narratives.

Considering your profile, here are some top business schools that you can target:

1. Harvard Business School (HBS): HBS values diversity and leadership, and your extensive work experience can be a strong asset.

2. Stanford Graduate School of Business: Stanford GSB looks for candidates who have made a significant impact and have a clear vision for the future, both of which you can showcase in your application.

3. Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania: Wharton is known for its strong finance program, and your background in Chemical Engineering and experience at Indian Oil Corp. could be aligned with their offerings.

4. Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University: Kellogg values teamwork and collaboration, which aligns well with your leadership roles and sports achievements.

5. Tuck School of Business, Dartmouth College: Tuck has a close-knit community and may appreciate your leadership experience and diverse background.

6. Sloan School of Management, MIT: MIT Sloan is known for its emphasis on innovation and technology, which could be a good fit if you want to leverage your engineering background.

7. Indian School of Business (ISB): For a school in India, ISB is highly reputable and may be a good option, given your background and goals.

Remember that the application process is highly competitive, and each school has its unique culture and criteria for admission. Tailor your application to each institution's strengths and values, and use your essays to explain your career goals and how an MBA from their program will help you achieve them.

Good luck with your applications!

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week. We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Priy22 wrote:
Hello Experts! Kindly evaluate my profile for TOP business schools and kindly suggest what prospective colleges I can get through:

Priyanka Rana
10th : 94%
12th : 89.8%
Graduation: B.Tech in Chemical Engineering (BIT, Sindri - State govt. college) - 8.6 CGPA
GMAT : 720
work exp : 8 years as of this date.
Company: Indian Oil Corp. Ltd. (PSU)
Currently working as a PRODUCTION MANAGER (Operations Dept.)

Achievements & Co-curriculars:
- Overall 2nd topper in my branch in B.Tech
- Secured All India Rank 148 in GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) among 16000+ candidates.
- Started MBA at NITIE (National Institute of Industrial Engineering) but could not continue the course. Joined job at Indian Oil Corp. Ltd. immediately to gain industrial exposure and work ex.
- Vice-President at College editorial Board SARJANA
-Bagged several medals and awards in sports. Athlete of the year award in my corporation IOCL.

Hobbies: Writing poetries, Painting, Singing, Basketball, Table tennis etc.

Thanks !
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Priy22 wrote:
Hello Experts! Kindly evaluate my profile for TOP business schools and kindly suggest what prospective colleges I can get through:

Priyanka Rana
Graduation: B.Tech in Chemical Engineering (BIT, Sindri - State govt. college) - 8.6 CGPA

- Secured All India Rank 148 in GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) among 16000+ candidates.
- Started MBA at NITIE (National Institute of Industrial Engineering) but could not continue the course. Joined job at Indian Oil Corp. Ltd. immediately to gain industrial exposure and work ex.
-Bagged several medals and awards in sports. Athlete of the year award in my corporation IOCL.

Thanks !

👋 Hey Priy22,

Here is a detailed profile evaluation for you!

Academic & Professional Credentials: Your robust educational performance, especially your B.Tech CGPA of 8.6 from BIT Sindri, reflects a commendable intellectual aptitude. 🎓 The GMAT score of 720 is highly competitive for top B-schools and strengthens your profile. Your tenure at IOCL, especially as a Production Manager, establishes your expertise in a demanding industry sector. 🏭

Distinct Achievements: Securing an All India Rank 148 in GATE is a remarkable testament to your analytical abilities, especially considering the vast pool of aspirants. 🥇

Extracurricular Activities: Holding the Vice-President position of the college editorial board signifies leadership and organisational abilities. 📚 Your sports accolades not only reveal physical tenacity but showcase dedication and team spirit. 🏀

Areas for improvement: Though your GMAT score is impressive, you would be needing more than that, as it is just 1/4th of your application and the rest depends on your work ex, extracurriculars, volunteer experience, achievements, and projects, etc. You need to craft a compelling essay as the admissions committee need to understand why you would be a better fit for their school/

School Recommendations:

🌟 Dream: Cornell, Kellogg, Columbia, INSEAD, HEC Paris, Tuck, LBS
🔵 Competitive: ISB, Imperial, Warwick, Duke, NYU Stern
🟢 Safe: Foster, Babson, Manchester, IESEG

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

👉 Click Here to Set-Up a FREE Call 👈
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Priy22 wrote:

Priyanka Rana

Thanks !

Priy22 - interesting profile. A few q's before providing feedback:

1.How has your progression been at IOC i.e. any promotions or changes in responsibilities?
2. What are your post MBA goals i.e. target sector, function/ role? And do you have a preference for any geography/ country?

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer
W:https://admitstreet.com| E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I have got 2 promotions, production engineer --> assistant manager --> production manager. I look after all operational work of my plant which involves a lot of on-site (field) work.
Post MBA I wish to go into consultancy and work in future prospects of energy sector like renewable energy etc. Currently I work in petroleum refining sector. Prefer to study in USA and UK colleges.

Please suggest and guide me !
Director
Director
Send PM
Priy22 wrote:
I have got 2 promotions, production engineer --> assistant manager --> production manager. I look after all operational work of my plant which involves a lot of on-site (field) work.
Post MBA I wish to go into consultancy and work in future prospects of energy sector like renewable energy etc. Currently I work in petroleum refining sector. Prefer to study in USA and UK colleges.

Please suggest and guide me !

Priy22: thanks for the update.

1. Your academics (10th/12th) and GPA are strong. The GMAT is fine (you didn't mention the split though: a 75th percentile or better in each section would be good), but if you are looking at the "ambitious" schools (list in point 4 below), a 730+ can help. Generally, targeting 10-20 points above a school's average is recommended, given the Indian applicant perspective. The ECs and achievements offer good talking points for essays.

2. Your professional arc is interesting, given the promotions and exposure to energy & operations. Highlighting the transferable skills can help position you for your target roles in consulting. Have clear and concise answers to: why MBA, why now, why you (i.e. vs others), why consulting. These points can help craft strong essays. Also having a plan B (for anyone targeting consulting, given its competitive nature) helps.

3. Consulting firms hiring from B-schools generally prefer younger chaps (with 2-4 years pre-mba work-ex), as they can be placed on generalist projects across sectors. However, more experienced candidates (e.g. like you with an energy background, armed with the MBA) can target specific roles within the (energy) vertical of a consulting firm, or a boutique firm focused on energy consulting. Researching about the firms you would like to work in and their hiring patterns can help.

4. While I'm not comfortable recommending schools based on this initial assessment (I still don't know many of your personal preferences which would impact the list), pls consider this as an initial list of schools to research further and prioritize. These have good alumni presence in consulting, and some are in energy-focused geographies as well.

US: M7 (particularly Booth, Kellogg), Fuqua, Tuck, Ross, Rice, Texas McCombs, Foster, Emory
UK/ Europe: INSEAD, LBS, IESE, HEC, Oxbridge, ESADE

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
W:https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 641 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Priy22 wrote:

Priyanka Rana

Thanks !

Priy22

Your profile is impressive and resonates with me on a personal level. As a woman who has also worked in a production environment, I understand the challenges and rewards that come with developing industrialization plans, creating industrialization specifications, testing plans, troubleshooting process problems, and collaborating with teams at all levels to ensure successful operations.

For your applications, I advise you to construct a strong narrative that showcases your career progression resulting from hard work and perseverance. 8 years in a professional setting is a substantial duration, so present a variety of examples highlighting leadership, empathy, diversity initiatives, teamwork, and other relevant aspects of your profile.

Utilize anecdotes from your professional life to demonstrate your diverse skills (analytical, leadership, and empathetic). Showcase how you motivated teams on the shop floors, expedited projects, achieved desired outcomes, resolved conflicts with persuasive abilities, influenced management decisions through keen observations and insights, and generated value for your team and organization as a whole. Highlight your bias for action and conscientious decision-making capabilities.

Your ECs are alright. But I suggest that you think deeper and analyze whether you have missed considering any mundane/ unobvious/ subtle initiatives you may have taken through the years ( travel, learning a new language, certain diversity initiatives at work, for example, raising your voice against gender discrimination, voicing strong opinions for diversity in the workforce, providing financial or moral support to someone in need, teaching the underprivileged kids, organizing diversity talks or off-site activities for better collaboration among teams, and so on). In my experience, I have seen that applicant struggle to recall in the early stages of application how they contributed toward the betterment of their community. It could take a little introspection to unravel it all.

Typically Supply Chain and Operations leadership tracks are the most suitable goals for people from backgrounds like yours. Just so you know, if you get into the right school, MBBs actively seek individuals with strong Ops experience for management consulting roles in the Ops and strategy Consulting practices. Other roles that you may want to explore are Supply Chain Analytics, Product or Network Planning and Strategy, or Corporate Finance (if you like finance) at small to medium-sized startups. Please feel free to reach out to me to learn more about these options as this is also my area of specialization.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap our discussion hours for our applicants

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Hey all, A bit of a non traditional profile here-

I’m an HLS grad with 5 years of biglaw M&a with a bit of IP lit. I did engineering UG at MIT (pretty bad gpa, low 3s, engineering was hard for me lol). Currently am late 30s

I took the past few years off to pursue a passion project in art. Had a few pieces featured in some fairly big shows.

Life circumstances have changed and I want to get back into the professional grind. I always played around with the idea of B school, and even applied to do the jd/mba at H but was rejected likely due to bad Ug gpa and not enough work exp. I figure my work exp is sufficient now, and I have an 8 year old GMAT of 760 (I’ll probably have to retake but my guess is it shouldn’t drop lower than mid 700s). And putting aside whether b school is even a good idea for me at this point, what schools do you fine people think I’d have a shot at? Many thanks and looking forward to your responses!

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
juzam wrote:

I’m an HLS grad with 5 years of biglaw M&a with a bit of IP lit. I did engineering UG at MIT (pretty bad gpa, low 3s, engineering was hard for me lol). Currently am late 30s

I took the past few years off to pursue a passion project in art. Had a few pieces featured in some fairly big shows.

Life circumstances have changed and I want to get back into the professional grind. I always played around with the idea of B school, and even applied to do the jd/mba at H but was rejected likely due to bad Ug gpa and not enough work exp. I figure my work exp is sufficient now, and I have an 8 year old GMAT of 760 (I’ll probably have to retake but my guess is it shouldn’t drop lower than mid 700s). And putting aside whether b school is even a good idea for me at this point, what schools do you fine people think I’d have a shot at? Many thanks and looking forward to your responses!

👋 Hey juzam,

Academic & Professional Credentials: With an engineering UG from MIT and HLS graduation 📚, your journey is notable. The MIT GPA might be lower, but HLS showcases determination and prowess 🚀.

Experience: 5 years in M&A biglaw, leading 20+ major M&A deals, with a $5B+ value 📊, elevates your profile. Dabbling in IP lit shows your adaptability 🔄.

Unique Artistic Angle: The artistic transition is captivating 🎨. Achieving global recognition for 15+ pieces, with awards for three, sets you apart ⭐.

Test Score: An 8-year-old GMAT score of 760 is commendable 📝. Retaking and maintaining mid-700s puts you in top school brackets ✅.

School Suggestions:
➡️ Dream: Darden, Wharton, Booth 🌟
➡️ Competitive: Kellogg, Cornell, Ross🏆
➡️ Safe: Foster, Arizona 🛡️

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Director
Director
Send PM
juzam wrote:

juzam - the UG pedigree and indicative GMAT are good. A few queries before sharing some feedback:

1. Your Biglaw M&A work-ex sounds interesting, have there been any promotions/ progressions? Any key projects you are proud of (to help understand your work profile better)?
2. Have you given some thought on which areas (sectors/ functions) you would like to work in post MBA? Each school has its own strengths, and narrowing down your preferences can be a good starting point.

Regards,
Arvind
Intern
Intern
Send PM
admitStreet wrote:
juzam wrote:

juzam - the UG pedigree and indicative GMAT are good. A few queries before sharing some feedback:

1. Your Biglaw M&A work-ex sounds interesting, have there been any promotions/ progressions? Any key projects you are proud of (to help understand your work profile better)?
2. Have you given some thought on which areas (sectors/ functions) you would like to work in post MBA? Each school has its own strengths, and narrowing down your preferences can be a good starting point.

Regards,
Arvind

Thanks, Arvind! I'd say for my biglaw experience, I hit the standard promo of mid-level associate managing deals (running DD and checking junior's work, turning comments from seniors/partner on docs, taking first stab at some of the major agreements, coordinating and interfacing with all specialists, first point of contact for client, etc.). But tbh, a lawyer's work doesn't usually involve "leadership" in the traditional sense. I could say that I displayed a bit more leadership while doing litigation in taking point on a deposition, and a TON more leadership in my pro bono cases where I was the lead lawyer arguing in front of USCIS. But yeah, the M&A work itself wasn't something I was super proud of, which is unfortunate as I can see it being the most relevant to B-school apps haha.

As for post-MBA, this is where I'm a bit stuck. I mainly don't love legal work, and would rather be thinking big picture or driving workflow. I don't mind a bit of stress, I just don't love the feeling of spinning so many wheels on the smallest minutiae. So I don't think I'd love consulting, and I definitely don't want finance exits as that just seems miserable and the $ wouldn't make it worth it to me (all the bankers and PE guys I worked with would have attested). So I'm a bit stuck as to what I really want. Honestly, a dream scenario is to walk into a director level role at a good company, have a 50-hour or less work week, and make 250+ all in first year. But the more I research, the less likely this type of outcome seems, especially given the terrible job market rn for bschool grads. And I'm pretty confident that if I don't go to b-school, I could get a 200k+ in-house counsel job fairly easily. So I'd have that opportunity cost to consider.

So yeah, sorry for dropping so much on you haha. I'm guessing the answer might be that b-school isn't the best option for me. But if you have any other comments or thoughts, I'd be super grateful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MiMEssay wrote:
juzam wrote:

👋 Hey juzam,

Academic & Professional Credentials: With an engineering UG from MIT and HLS graduation 📚, your journey is notable. The MIT GPA might be lower, but HLS showcases determination and prowess 🚀.

Experience: 5 years in M&A biglaw, leading 20+ major M&A deals, with a $5B+ value 📊, elevates your profile. Dabbling in IP lit shows your adaptability 🔄.

Unique Artistic Angle: The artistic transition is captivating 🎨. Achieving global recognition for 15+ pieces, with awards for three, sets you apart ⭐.

Test Score: An 8-year-old GMAT score of 760 is commendable 📝. Retaking and maintaining mid-700s puts you in top school brackets ✅.

School Suggestions:
➡️ Dream: Darden, Wharton, Booth 🌟
➡️ Competitive: Kellogg, Cornell, Ross🏆
➡️ Safe: Foster, Arizona 🛡️

Thank you! Actually, I also have some geographic limitations and would only potentially break them if it meant a return to Cambridge (HBS) or Stanford. So hearing you on this, do you think I'd have a good shot at a full ride for USC or UCLA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello All,

I am applying for fall 2024 intake.
Gmat score - 750
cgpa 8.82/10 mechanical engineering.
worked in a manufacturing industry (fortune 500 company )as a FEA analyst for 3.5 years and before that I have start up experience of 1year.
My main goal of doing an MBA is use it as a stepping stone to move to consulting industry.
right now i am in application phase

so my confusion is - Right now i am searching for a job in consultancy as it will be a good idea to have some past experience. My idea is this will help in post mba job search. so right now i have a gap of 3 months in work ex should i explain it to adcom via optional essay or not.
because, in some of the adcom sessions, I have heard that if the gap is short 3-4 months no need to mention as it will seek unnecessary attention.
what should i do? any suggestions?
or the gap is going to affect negatively as it's in the application phase?

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 641 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Theprince wrote:
Hello All,

Gmat score - 750
worked in a manufacturing industry (fortune 500 company )as a FEA analyst for 3.5 years and before that I have start up experience of 1year.
My main goal of doing an MBA is use it as a stepping stone to move to consulting industry.

so my confusion is - Right now i am searching for a job in consultancy as it will be a good idea to have some past experience. My idea is this will help in post mba job search. so right now i have a gap of 3 months in work ex should i explain it to adcom via optional essay or not.
because, in some of the adcom sessions, I have heard that if the gap is short 3-4 months no need to mention as it will seek unnecessary attention.

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..

Theprince Hi, are you applying for an MBA because the hunt for a consulting stint has not yielded good results?

If that's the case, a 3-month career gap is not significantly long, and it's understandable from the school's perspective.

If I were to advise you regarding MBA applications (now or later), I would add that you could consider taking on internships or part-time work related to strategy consulting projects during this time. Schools don't place heavy emphasis on whether you have an official consulting job title before an MBA. What matters is that you've taken proactive steps to step out of your comfort zone and gain skills in an industry you intend to pursue post-MBA. Whether it's an internship or project-based part-time experience, these efforts can add substantial value to your application. I've witnessed many individuals take this path and successfully gain admission to top B-Schools.

The employment gap is a dreaded subject for job seekers and MBA applicants alike. Our insecurities surface when we fear being judged. But optimistically speaking, the employment gap can also be seen as an opportunity to pursue passion projects or activities that add meaning to our lives. A conviction to stay productive and learn a new skill during the break or employment gap will serve
well for the MBA profile. Really don't worry about applying with a 3–4-month gap. But present the narrative in a way that shows this was still a period of self-reflection and improvement. I have worked with many MBA applicants with long career gaps. Feel free to connect should you want professional guidance.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap our discussion hours for our applicants

MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Director
Director
Send PM
juzam wrote:
admitStreet wrote:
juzam wrote:

Regards,
Arvind

Thanks, Arvind! I'd say for my biglaw experience, I hit the standard promo of mid-level associate managing deals (running DD and checking junior's work, turning comments from seniors/partner on docs, taking first stab at some of the major agreements, coordinating and interfacing with all specialists, first point of contact for client, etc.). But tbh, a lawyer's work doesn't usually involve "leadership" in the traditional sense. I could say that I displayed a bit more leadership while doing litigation in taking point on a deposition, and a TON more leadership in my pro bono cases where I was the lead lawyer arguing in front of USCIS. But yeah, the M&A work itself wasn't something I was super proud of, which is unfortunate as I can see it being the most relevant to B-school apps haha.

As for post-MBA, this is where I'm a bit stuck. I mainly don't love legal work, and would rather be thinking big picture or driving workflow. I don't mind a bit of stress, I just don't love the feeling of spinning so many wheels on the smallest minutiae. So I don't think I'd love consulting, and I definitely don't want finance exits as that just seems miserable and the $ wouldn't make it worth it to me (all the bankers and PE guys I worked with would have attested). So I'm a bit stuck as to what I really want. Honestly, a dream scenario is to walk into a director level role at a good company, have a 50-hour or less work week, and make 250+ all in first year. But the more I research, the less likely this type of outcome seems, especially given the terrible job market rn for bschool grads. And I'm pretty confident that if I don't go to b-school, I could get a 200k+ in-house counsel job fairly easily. So I'd have that opportunity cost to consider.

So yeah, sorry for dropping so much on you haha. I'm guessing the answer might be that b-school isn't the best option for me. But if you have any other comments or thoughts, I'd be super grateful.

juzam - I'd say that the chances of landing a Director role making 250k+ right out of MBA is low, even for someone with 5 years experience. Would suggest taking a more medium-term view if you're considering an MBA: the intangible factors such as alumni network are not accounted for in dollar terms, for example.

While opportunity cost is certainly to be considered, it's about balancing your preferences to then pick which option offers the bigger upside (long-term) aligned to your long-term goals. This is an introspective process, and time spent thinking about it is well spent. Alternatively, if you are able to obtain a sizeable scholarship, the math might still work.

Hope this helps a bit. If you'd like to have a deeper chat, feel free to reach out.

Regards,
Arvind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBAGuide wrote:
Theprince wrote:
Hello All,

Gmat score - 750

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..

Theprince Hi, are you applying for an MBA because the hunt for a consulting stint has not yielded good results?

If that's the case, a 3-month career gap is not significantly long, and it's understandable from the school's perspective.

If I were to advise you regarding MBA applications (now or later), I would add that you could consider taking on internships or part-time work related to strategy consulting projects during this time. Schools don't place heavy emphasis on whether you have an official consulting job title before an MBA. What matters is that you've taken proactive steps to step out of your comfort zone and gain skills in an industry you intend to pursue post-MBA. Whether it's an internship or project-based part-time experience, these efforts can add substantial value to your application. I've witnessed many individuals take this path and successfully gain admission to top B-Schools.

The employment gap is a dreaded subject for job seekers and MBA applicants alike. Our insecurities surface when we fear being judged. But optimistically speaking, the employment gap can also be seen as an opportunity to pursue passion projects or activities that add meaning to our lives. A conviction to stay productive and learn a new skill during the break or employment gap will serve
well for the MBA profile. Really don't worry about applying with a 3–4-month gap. But present the narrative in a way that shows this was still a period of self-reflection and improvement. I have worked with many MBA applicants with long career gaps. Feel free to connect should you want professional guidance.

MBAGuideConsulting

Thank you for the response!!

NO, My primary plan was to do MBA to switch domain. but at one point i felt it will be good if i can go for consultaning stint for 1 year before joining college. it's true that in last 3 months search has not yeilded a good results.. I used this 2-3 months time to complete related courework and now i am in searching phase..I am open for job/internship so..
how it will look if i opt to in opt explain in optional essay (will it cast negative impression..)
but I feel my question was adressed.. I think if i can explain in proper narrative it won't be a negative/weak point.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Theprince wrote:
Hello All,

Gmat score - 750

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..

👋 Hey Theprince,

Strengths:
➡️ High GMAT Score: A score of 750 positions you favorably against global averages. 🎯
➡️ Technical Expertise: Your experience as an FEA analyst in a Fortune 500 company is commendable. Try quantifying it. 🔧
➡️ Entrepreneurial Flair: Startup experience always stands out, showing initiative and risk-taking. 🚀
➡️ Goal Clarity: The goal to transition to consulting post-MBA is specific and matches your background. 💼

Areas for Improvement & Examples:
➡️ Demonstrate Impact: Go beyond stating roles. E.g., “Led a simulation analysis that resulted in a 15% reduction in materials cost.” 🔍
➡️ Career Gap Justification: If asked, be ready to explain your 3-month gap. It's brief, but has a narrative in place. ⌛
➡️ Consulting Experience: Since you're pivoting to consulting, pre-MBA experience in this field would be valuable. 🔄
➡️ Skills Acquisition: Get certifications like financial modeling or strategic management. 📊
➡️ Enhance Extracurriculars: Show leadership or community involvement that aligns with consultancy values. 🌐

Target Schools:
➡️ Dream: Wharton, Booth, Tuck, Darden, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA Anderson 🏛️
➡️ Competitive: Tepper, Duke Fuqua, Michigan Ross, Cornell, Kellogg 🏫
➡️ Safe: Kelley, Fisher, W.P. Carey 📚

MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Theprince,

I hope you are doing good. Your profile looks strong with a competitive GMAT score, a good CGPA in mechanical engineering, and relevant work experience in a Fortune 500 company as an FEA analyst. Your career goal to transition into the consulting industry after an MBA is also reasonable and well-defined. A score of 750 would help you build a strong profile.

Regarding the three-month gap in your work experience due to your job search for a consulting role, here are some considerations:

Optional Essay: Whether or not to explain the gap in your work experience in the optional essay depends on the context and how it is presented. If you have a compelling reason for the gap (such as actively searching for a consulting role and participating in interviews), it might be a good idea to briefly mention it in the optional essay. This can help to fill in any potential gaps in your application and show the Admissions Committee that you are actively working toward your career goals.

Context Matters: If you believe that your job search efforts and the gap are relevant to your overall narrative and goals, it may be worth addressing. However, if it's a short and common gap in your industry or field, it may not require a detailed explanation.

Focus on Positives: In your explanation, emphasize the proactive steps you've taken during this gap, such as networking, attending relevant events, and preparing for the consulting role. Highlight how this experience aligns with your career aspirations.

Short Gap: A three-month gap is relatively short, and as you mentioned, it might not raise significant concerns. Admissions committees generally understand that job searches, especially for roles in competitive industries like consulting, can take some time.

Interview Preparation: Use this time to further prepare for consulting interviews, if possible. Demonstrating that you are actively working to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge for your target industry can be a positive aspect of your application.

Whether to mention the gap in your work experience in the optional essay ultimately depends on how you frame it and whether you believe it adds value to your application. If you can provide a concise and positive explanation, it may be worth addressing. However, if you believe that the gap is not significant or that it won't impact your overall application, you may choose not to mention it. Remember that the admissions committee is interested in your overall qualifications and potential as an MBA candidate, so focus on showcasing your strengths and alignment with the program's goals.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week. We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Theprince wrote:
Hello All,

Gmat score - 750

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..
Director
Director
Send PM
Theprince wrote:
Hello All,

Gmat score - 750

need guidance !

Thank you in advance..

Theprince - profiles get evaluated holistically. Considering your GMAT score, CGPA (you didn't mention the undergrad college though), and the strength of your work-ex (more details here can help), a 3-4 month gap might not be a big issue, particularly if you use the essays to highlight what you did during these months, what you learned, and how it helped you grow or reaffirm your MBA decision.

Picking up consulting projects (even pro-bono or short-term: there are organizations where you can do this) can also be a great way to signal your proactiveness and interest in consulting.

I am now working with a candidate who had an 8-month gap (at the time of applying) due to an unforeseen exit from the company he co-founded. In this timeframe, he assisted his father wind-up the family business, prepared for GMAT and connected with schools, doing in-depth research. We highlighted these points in the essays, and he has received 2 interview invites so far from top-10 European B-schools. I hope to share his success story soon, but the point is, as long as you have a good profile/ application, can link your experiences/ skills to your goals and showcase progression, I wouldn't worry about a few gap months.

Regards,
Arvind
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  23