GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 12:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:16) correct 28% (01:22) wrong based on 401 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals, Hospital A received the lowest overall grade based on a patient mortality rate that was nearly twice that of the top-ranked hospital. Mortality rates in five departments (cardiology, oncology, surgery, neurology, and neonatology) were used in the comparison. Clearly, Hospital A provides the lowest quality of care state-wide in these departments.

One reason that the strength of the Patient Advocacy Association’s argument cannot be evaluated is that

(A) The argument makes no mention of deaths of patients seen by multiple departments.

(B) The Patient Advocacy Association has a reputation as a biased third party that does not always objectively weigh the evidence regarding quality of care.

(C) The Patient Advocacy Association has only cited the mortality rate in five departments of the hospitals.

(D) The Patient Advocacy Association has not included data about the underlying health and severity of illness of the individuals served by each of the hospitals.

(E) The Patient Advocacy Association has not included recent trends in mortality rates by hospital.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 22:33
I think it could be C between A and C coz A says it doesn't account for deaths in various depts, bt if it had to check for deaths on other Depts it definitively strengthens the argument. I m nt sure though pls give me yr suggestions too.
Cheers,
Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member
Re: Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 20:49
karthikkaushik91 wrote:
I think it could be C between A and C coz A says it doesn't account for deaths in various depts, bt if it had to check for deaths on other Depts it definitively strengthens the argument. I m nt sure though pls give me yr suggestions too.
Cheers,
Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals, Hospital A received the lowest overall grade based on a patient mortality rate that was nearly twice that of the top-ranked hospital. Mortality rates in five departments (cardiology, oncology, surgery, neurology, and neonatology) were used in the comparison. Clearly, Hospital A provides the lowest quality of care state-wide in these departments.

One reason that the strength of the Patient Advocacy Association’s argument cannot be evaluated is that

(A) The argument makes no mention of deaths of patients seen by multiple departments.

(B) The Patient Advocacy Association has a reputation as a biased third party that does not always objectively weigh the evidence regarding quality of care.

(C) The Patient Advocacy Association has only cited the mortality rate in five departments of the hospitals.

(D) The Patient Advocacy Association has not included data about the underlying health and severity of illness of the individuals served by each of the hospitals.

(E) The Patient Advocacy Association has not included recent trends in mortality rates by hospital.

As per stem, Patient Advocacy Association (PAA) says that A is providing lowest quality of care since it has the highest mortality rate.

Option A - PAA didn't say specific department-wide claim comparison so it is irrelevant in evaluating the argument strength
Option B - In stem PAA has provided an objective evidence (number of deaths) so we even if PAA is biased, it has provided an objective evidence in the Stem.
Option C - We don't have any information other departments except five dept., we can't really claim anything based on this info
Option D - This option is the most relevant to mortality rate. Lets' A - Hospital A is a very famous hospital and all the serious patients are referred to hospital A.
In that case, Hospital A will be treating mostly serious patients having higher death risk.
So to evaluate the PPA claim, we must have this info and we can't evaluate the claim because of this.
Option E - No mention provided about data time. Also Even if we have the info is recent, that won't be helpful in evaluating PAA claim.

Kudos are always welcome.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 12:14
B is about the reputation, but in the question the company still presents the evidence and becomes objective. Therefore, B is incorrect.
D uses the important pattern about the cause of deaths at the hospital. I once have seen a similar question with the same pattern in D.
Director
Director
G
CAT Tests
Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 02:23
Not a great question IMO-Is there really from Veritas? Veritas Prep questions are good usually. Experts.Could you please comment why C is not the answer?
VeritasPrepKarishma
GMATNinja
GMATNinja2
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 13:12
Try my explanation:

D: If you dont know the severity of the cases reported by the two hospitals then one hospital can treat all the easy cases while Hospital A can get all / most of the difficult cases whose severity is significant. So, how would it be fair to say that Hospital A has 2x the death rate and that the other top ranked hospitals are better.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals, &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jun 2018, 13:12

Patient Advocacy Association: In a recent ranking of state hospitals,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap