Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619011 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: People should be held accountable for their own behavior, and if holdi [#permalink]
Same Good Kid wrote:
Selected B.The whole paragraph and the conclusion supports the assumption that people have control over their behaviour.

Posted from my mobile device

I disagree. the second sentence can be interpreted as assuming the opposite: that there exists a class of behavior that people don't control

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 03 Oct 2019, 02:58.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 03 Oct 2019, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
examPAL Representative
Send PM
Re: People should be held accountable for their own behavior, and if holdi [#permalink]
Larissa29 wrote:
I think it is D.
Does anyone know the solution?

This is confusing. While is definitely true, it can't really be described as a "conclusion": it is directly repeating the second sentence. in other words, it is part of the argument, not its conclusion.
examPAL Representative
Send PM
answer A.

A is the only answer which describes a conclusion : something that isn't stated in the argument, but which we can learn from the argument.
If people shouldn't be punished for behavior that is out of their control, then it follows that people shouldn't be punished for other people's behavior.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
Send PM
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Same Good Kid wrote:
Selected B.The whole paragraph and the conclusion supports the assumption that people have control over their behaviour.

I disagree. the second sentence can be interpreted as assuming the opposite: that there exists a class of behavior that people don't control

Sure David, I see the angle.
Is there an official explanation that we all can look upto and learn?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
answer A.

A is the only answer which describes a conclusion : something that isn't stated in the argument, but which we can learn from the argument.
If people shouldn't be punished for behavior that is out of their control, then it follows that people shouldn't be punished for other people's behavior.

Hi David, can you please explain why E cannot be the answer??
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel is the OA correct? In my opinion, there is no way it’s (B). I personally don’t like any of them.

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619011 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
nightblade354 wrote:
Bunuel is the OA correct? In my opinion, there is no way it’s (B). I personally don’t like any of them

Yes, according to the source the OA is B. No OE though.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Bunuel is the OA correct? In my opinion, there is no way it’s (B). I personally don’t like any of them

Yes, according to the source the OA is B. No OE though.

Then this question BLOWS. There’s no justifiable way to say (B) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
People should be held accountable for their own behavior, and if holding people accountable for their own behavior entails capital punishment, then so be it. However, no person should be held accountable for behavior over which he or she had no control.

Which of the following is the most logical conclusion of the argument above?

A) People should not be held accountable for the behavior of other people.
Not correct. The stem doesn't mention the behavior of other people in specific. This is creating a generalization which is enough to eliminate it.

B) People have control over their own behavior.
Not correct. The stem can definitely be interpreted in a manner which implies that people sometimes have no control over their behavior and so they shouldn't be held accountable for those in specific. Think of self-defense maybe.

Quick edit: I just read that the OA is B. Don't really understand why though.

c) People cannot control the behavior of other people.
Not correct. Again, the stem doesn't mention other people anywhere.

D) Behavior that cannot be controlled should not be punished.
Correct. This is precisely what adding up two and two from the stem gives you.

E) People have control over behavior that is subject to capital punishment
Not correct. Makes an unnecessary generalization.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts