GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Location: India
GPA: 2.8
Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 09:23
Background and nationality: Indian

Age: 25 years

Undergrad Information: Bachelors in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from College of Engineering Pune with a CGPA of 6.56/10

GMAT: Will take the GMAT on 25th Sept 2019, however, my practice scores have been between 600-640 so not expecting any miracles.

Work experience and leadership: Total 7 years of work experience
1. Started my first startup in the education domain at the age of 18 and ran it for 4 consecutive years while studying engineering simultaneously. Built a team of 50+ members who were working for my startup and had a total turnover of INR 7.5 million over the 4 years. Conducted various Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) projects as a part of the company. My startup was featured in over 7 newspapers and was also introduced for radio shows etc.
2. Started an NGO at the age of 20 and headed it for a year and got featured in various newspapers.
3. Started my second startup during my last year of engineering and continued to grow the company with a 100% increase in revenue year on year. Currently, my turnover is INR 10 million for the last financial year.

Community and others:
1. TEDx speaker
2. Won a B plan competition in the final year of Engineering.
3. Guinness world record holder for the most number of people solving the rubrics cube simultaneously
4. Member of Business Network International (BNI) for the last 2 years and have helped fellow members grow their business.

Post MBA goals: Operations Consulting - Have been heading Operations for all the startups I have started till date. Have focused on operations efficiency, production efficiency and also doubled production output for my current startup with minor changes in machinery and manpower.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2007
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 10:40
MayurAhuja wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian

Age: 25 years

Undergrad Information: Bachelors in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from College of Engineering Pune with a CGPA of 6.56/10

GMAT: Will take the GMAT on 25th Sept 2019, however, my practice scores have been between 600-640 so not expecting any miracles.

Work experience and leadership: Total 7 years of work experience
1. Started my first startup in the education domain at the age of 18 and ran it for 4 consecutive years while studying engineering simultaneously. Built a team of 50+ members who were working for my startup and had a total turnover of INR 7.5 million over the 4 years. Conducted various Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) projects as a part of the company. My startup was featured in over 7 newspapers and was also introduced for radio shows etc.
2. Started an NGO at the age of 20 and headed it for a year and got featured in various newspapers.
3. Started my second startup during my last year of engineering and continued to grow the company with a 100% increase in revenue year on year. Currently, my turnover is INR 10 million for the last financial year.

Community and others:
1. TEDx speaker
2. Won a B plan competition in the final year of Engineering.
3. Guinness world record holder for the most number of people solving the rubrics cube simultaneously
4. Member of Business Network International (BNI) for the last 2 years and have helped fellow members grow their business.

Post MBA goals: Operations Consulting - Have been heading Operations for all the startups I have started till date. Have focused on operations efficiency, production efficiency and also doubled production output for my current startup with minor changes in machinery and manpower.


Hi,

A combination of low GPA + low GMAT will be very, very hard to beat. Otherwise, your work experience sounds interesting. Since you were in an operations role, were you also managing the top line (as founders are generally involved in every aspect of the startup).

Being a TedX speaker sounds cool. You seem to have a spike story hidden there.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 12:21
Hello All !

Please evaluate my profile and let me know the chances of getting in.

Nationality : Indian
Gender : Male
Age : 27 years
Class X : 95%
CLass 12 : 88%
BE in Mechanical engineering (Thapar University, Patiala): 7.52/10 --> Is 8.00 CGPA a stringent criteria for admission into Rotman?
GMAT Score : 700 (Q50 V34 IR6 AWA6)

Overall 50 Months of experience
32 Months in Management Consulting (Analytics for Pharma companies) - ZS
18 Months in IT Consulting

Participated in CSR initiatives from company side and few other local Social initiatives.

Short Term MBA Goal: Continue in the Consulting domain with more focus on Strategy, international exposure
Long Term MBA Goal: Become a key opinion leader in Pharma sector

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Prabal
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 02:29
Hi Experts

Please evaluate my profile-

Origin - Indian
Age - 28
Graduation - BA (hons) in Spanish from Delhi University - 65% score
Post graduation- MA in Spanish Literature from Jawaharlal Nehru University - 5.87 Grade point
Work Experience- 4+ years in Digital Marketing (Started working for a firm with business in Mexico hence using my knowledge of Spanish. Later changed job and now working for India market for past 2 years hence no use of Spanish)
Current Job Role- Middle Management in a digital advertising agency.
Volunteer Experience - English teaching volunteer for 2 years during college with a non-profit
Fellowship - 1 year in Public Relations with a non-profit
GMAT Score - 600 (Q45 V28)

Pain Point - Low GMAT Score and less time to improve that.

Kindly help and suggest. Does my profile even stand a chance.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 38
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2019, 06:53
Hi!
I am a 25 y/o Male from India

Educational Background -
B.tech (Mechanical Engineering) - 7.84/10 or 70.9%
12th standard - 70.33%
10th standard - 9.4/10 or 89.30%

Work Experience -
36 months in Infosys Ltd.
Current designation - Senior Systems Engineer(Might get a promotion in the next quarter)
I am an SAP PI consultant/SAP UI developer with prior experience working as a SAP ABAP Developer.
I have worked on development/implementation projects only(No back-end support work till date)
I have worked on projects related to energy and manufacturing sectors till now(I feel it does not even matter as my work hardly changes from project to project)
I don`t have a leadership role but in the absence of my lead, I am the one coordinating the daily activities and dividing tasks among my teammates.
I have also received an award at work recently.

Extra-Curriculars -
I was chosen to be a part of the Self-governance team during the training period at Infosys after undergoing a selection process(A total of 10 people were chosen out of a batch of 450)
I was a part of an NGO for a couple of years. The NGO was dedicated to uplifting the unfortunate strata of the society, especially orphan children, by providing them with free education and a place to stay
I was part of the organizing teams for some fests(even a national level fest) during the college years

GMAT - 700(Q50,V35), Planning to reappear in the first week of Nov. and targetting 740+.

Is my profile competitive enough to give it a shot or should I wait it out for a couple of years and then try?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 12:21
Good day,
I am in a bit of dilemma regarding whether to apply or not. My GMAT is low. Would request an honest review of my profile:

Nationality: Indian
Gender/Age: 29/Male
Work- Marine Engineer
Designation - Second Assistant Engineer

GMAT: 620 (Q48,v28,ir8)
TOEFL : 101

Class X - 92.1 (ICSE)
Class XII - 86.5 (ISC) - Math/Bio
BE (Mechanical) - 7.90/10 (Bhilai Institute of Technology) (top 20 percent of the batch)
Pre Sea Training - A+ Grade (from one of India's premier maritime institutes for GME)

Summer Internships -
1. L&T ECC - project on process layout & time work analysis exceeded expectations of then GM, Assembly Shop
2. RSP, SAIL - project on time work management & cost analysis also exceeded expectations of DGM, Mechanical Shop.

Professional Qualifications:
MEO COC IV, issued by Ministry of Shipping, GOI according to UN's International Maritime Organisation's STCW regulations Manila Convention 2010. (pass percent less than 7 pc my time)
MEO COC IV, Certificate of Equivalence issued by Consulate of Marshall Islands
MEO COC III, Certificate of Equivalence issued by Consulate of Marshall Islands.
MEO COC II, issued by Ministry of Shipping (one oral left expected to be issued in first half 2020)

Full Member, International Association of Marine Surveyors & Consultants, Geneva

Work experience - 5.6 years
Sector - Maritime (Marine Engineer)
Company - ASP Ships, Melbourne (I work on behalf of ASP Crew Management Singapore and Ship Management, India)
Work - Have worked in dry bulk carriers and cruise. Vessels chartered by some of the biggest chartering firms in the world - Panocean S.Korea, Pacific Basin HK, J.Lauritzen Copenhagen, Oldendoff Germany, Kuok family of HK, Rinat Akhmetov's (Ukraine's richest person) Midinvest, etc..

Foreign Experience
Worked in 85 destinations in 26 countries with members from 8 nationalities

Professional Achievements:
Part of Company's takeover team. Recently took over 10 mil USD vessel for Abo Shoten Ltd, Japan.
Have carried out pipeline modifications (kind of architectural changes) to suit latest IMO regulations and got it ClassNK (Japanese Classification Society) approved in first attempt. (Did it at the age of 27)
Carried out critical jobs in dry-docks and lead engine team in completing high risk jobs. (for example: In Jan 2019, vessel stopped near s.atlantic due to Main Engine malfunction. Vsl carrying perishable cargo worth 1.4 mil USD. 40 knots gale approaching from stern. Led a team to find and rectify fault at engine temperatures excess of 180 degC in 3 hours. Similar job in normal engine temp takes 4-5 hours)
Other Misc...

Academic Achievements:
Pre Sea Training - Best Outgoing Cadet GME 19 batch,2012-13
Engineering -
Won a lot of events in techfests - IIT B, IIT Kgp, NIT raipur & NIT rourkela
Best robotics design in Kshitij 2009 (IIT Kgp)
Was Central India student co-ordinator for Robotics workshops, Kharagpur Robosoccer Students Group (IIT Kgp)
Overall Student Co-ordinator, Urja 2KXi - Central India's biggest college fest by a student club, 2011 (From marketing to sponsorship to operations - held meetings with IBM India, SECL (a subsidiary of COAL India), CREDA, PCRA, Coca Cola Central India GM, etc.

Co-founder, Verve Technologies - one of Central India's first student startups in robotics. This was in pre Startup era of India. As the core team disbanded (left for Germany n US to do masters. One got UN funding for masters coz of one of his designs) the firm collapsed in 2015 i think. I left it in 2012-13.

Apart from these a few others.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Location: India
Schools: Rotman '22
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 11:45
Age: 32
Male
India


Academic background:
I am a dual degree Biotech Masers student from IIT Varanasi, GPA: 6.95
Dropped out of reputed PhD from Germany after 1 year, that was 5 years ago because I didnt like the course structure.

GMAT:
Will take next week, consistently scoring 730-740 range across various mock tests.

Work and research experience:
2 years of research experience in genetics
Worked in India for 2 years as Developer of applications and assessing various business problems in an infrastructure company which is subsidiary of a investment firm.
Currently working in Oracle as data scientist to assess business risk which involves the partners, clients, transactions, market forecast, automation of various business critical jobs. Usually work as individual contributor for many projects and leads a team of few to execute few other projects and move them to operations for routine management.

Extra curricular Activities:
Constantly participating in social activities organised by company, apart from that I spend my time teaching usually science related courses. Participating in data science related events. Used to be constantly in top ranks in state level and national level exams like olympiads as such( Long long time ago if that matters)

I want to continue working in Risk related work and expose myself to various domains such as finance and business development in startups or venture firms(far fetched dream).


I know my profile is very inconsistent with experience spread across various domains, I hope it can play to my strength and get me into a reputable course like Rotman.

Currently my life is standstill. Any kind of help on how to crack into reputable MBA for future would be much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2019
Posts: 4
Location: India
Schools: ISB '21 (I)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 4
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 01:15
Hello People,

Would be really grateful if someone could evaluate my profile-

10th Standard (2009)- 88%
12th Standard (2011)- 88%
BA Hons English (2011-2014)- Delhi University, BA Hons English- 64.5% (1s division)
MA English, Faculty of Arts, Delhi University- 61% (1st Division)
These translate to a 4.0 each on the GPA scale.
GMAT Score- 720: 47 Quant, 42 Verbal, AWA- 6.0, IR- 6
Work Experience- August 2016-August 2018: Account Analyst and then Account Strategist at Yahoo. Owner advertiser accounts in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
August 2018-Present: Working at an established travel startup as the content manager. Head branding communications and content strategy. Have received 2 appraisals and one promotion in the space of one year.
Extra-Curricular: Guitarist, have played semi-professionally. DJ and have worked as label manager for an electronic music label.
Reason for MBA- Wish to move to more challenging roles in better companies in the domain of growth/strategy/marketing.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2007
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 09:48
bsidd wrote:
Good day,
I am in a bit of dilemma regarding whether to apply or not. My GMAT is low. Would request an honest review of my profile:

Nationality: Indian
Gender/Age: 29/Male
Work- Marine Engineer
Designation - Second Assistant Engineer

GMAT: 620 (Q48,v28,ir8)
TOEFL : 101

Class X - 92.1 (ICSE)
Class XII - 86.5 (ISC) - Math/Bio
BE (Mechanical) - 7.90/10 (Bhilai Institute of Technology) (top 20 percent of the batch)
Pre Sea Training - A+ Grade (from one of India's premier maritime institutes for GME)

Summer Internships -
1. L&T ECC - project on process layout & time work analysis exceeded expectations of then GM, Assembly Shop
2. RSP, SAIL - project on time work management & cost analysis also exceeded expectations of DGM, Mechanical Shop.

Professional Qualifications:
MEO COC IV, issued by Ministry of Shipping, GOI according to UN's International Maritime Organisation's STCW regulations Manila Convention 2010. (pass percent less than 7 pc my time)
MEO COC IV, Certificate of Equivalence issued by Consulate of Marshall Islands
MEO COC III, Certificate of Equivalence issued by Consulate of Marshall Islands.
MEO COC II, issued by Ministry of Shipping (one oral left expected to be issued in first half 2020)

Full Member, International Association of Marine Surveyors & Consultants, Geneva

Work experience - 5.6 years
Sector - Maritime (Marine Engineer)
Company - ASP Ships, Melbourne (I work on behalf of ASP Crew Management Singapore and Ship Management, India)
Work - Have worked in dry bulk carriers and cruise. Vessels chartered by some of the biggest chartering firms in the world - Panocean S.Korea, Pacific Basin HK, J.Lauritzen Copenhagen, Oldendoff Germany, Kuok family of HK, Rinat Akhmetov's (Ukraine's richest person) Midinvest, etc..

Foreign Experience
Worked in 85 destinations in 26 countries with members from 8 nationalities

Professional Achievements:
Part of Company's takeover team. Recently took over 10 mil USD vessel for Abo Shoten Ltd, Japan.
Have carried out pipeline modifications (kind of architectural changes) to suit latest IMO regulations and got it ClassNK (Japanese Classification Society) approved in first attempt. (Did it at the age of 27)
Carried out critical jobs in dry-docks and lead engine team in completing high risk jobs. (for example: In Jan 2019, vessel stopped near s.atlantic due to Main Engine malfunction. Vsl carrying perishable cargo worth 1.4 mil USD. 40 knots gale approaching from stern. Led a team to find and rectify fault at engine temperatures excess of 180 degC in 3 hours. Similar job in normal engine temp takes 4-5 hours)
Other Misc...

Academic Achievements:
Pre Sea Training - Best Outgoing Cadet GME 19 batch,2012-13
Engineering -
Won a lot of events in techfests - IIT B, IIT Kgp, NIT raipur & NIT rourkela
Best robotics design in Kshitij 2009 (IIT Kgp)
Was Central India student co-ordinator for Robotics workshops, Kharagpur Robosoccer Students Group (IIT Kgp)
Overall Student Co-ordinator, Urja 2KXi - Central India's biggest college fest by a student club, 2011 (From marketing to sponsorship to operations - held meetings with IBM India, SECL (a subsidiary of COAL India), CREDA, PCRA, Coca Cola Central India GM, etc.

Co-founder, Verve Technologies - one of Central India's first student startups in robotics. This was in pre Startup era of India. As the core team disbanded (left for Germany n US to do masters. One got UN funding for masters coz of one of his designs) the firm collapsed in 2015 i think. I left it in 2012-13.

Apart from these a few others.


Hi,

Just saw your message is still unanswered. Everything else being good in your profile, the GMAT definitely can be improved. The GMAT is the weakest link and you should try to get a 700 and above to present a competitive application at Rotman or even other top MBA programs in Canada
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2007
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 10:01
youngun wrote:
Hello People,

Would be really grateful if someone could evaluate my profile-

10th Standard (2009)- 88%
12th Standard (2011)- 88%
BA Hons English (2011-2014)- Delhi University, BA Hons English- 64.5% (1s division)
MA English, Faculty of Arts, Delhi University- 61% (1st Division)
These translate to a 4.0 each on the GPA scale.
GMAT Score- 720: 47 Quant, 42 Verbal, AWA- 6.0, IR- 6
Work Experience- August 2016-August 2018: Account Analyst and then Account Strategist at Yahoo. Owner advertiser accounts in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
August 2018-Present: Working at an established travel startup as the content manager. Head branding communications and content strategy. Have received 2 appraisals and one promotion in the space of one year.
Extra-Curricular: Guitarist, have played semi-professionally. DJ and have worked as label manager for an electronic music label.
Reason for MBA- Wish to move to more challenging roles in better companies in the domain of growth/strategy/marketing.


Hi Youngun,
1. focus upon the business aspects of your work profile in your application. You should demonstrate that you have a decent understanding of business through your role as a client account owner. I am not clear whether your current role allow you to work on the business side. Do expand on what you do.
2. Your goals have to be very clear. The b-schools will expect you to lay out a clear career path before them. I see that you still need to build on this area.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 21:03
Request experts to review my profile and chances for getting in.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 30
GMAT 720 (Q51, V35)

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering (Production and Industrial engineering) from one of the NITs
MBA from one of the top 3 IIMs
Looking to do a second MBA

Work Experience: Total 5+ years
Job 1 - Automotive MNC (21 months)

Job 2 - Investment Banking (31 months)
Focused on Consumer and Consumer Tech sector

Job 3 - Private Equity Fund (12+ months)
Mid-market PE fund with focus on resource efficiency, clean energy, renewable

Extra curriculars - Decent extra curriculars, volunteering experience

Post MBA Goal - Continue my passion for investing by working in a larger PE shop
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2017
Posts: 55
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 21:06
xitizsharma wrote:
Request experts to review my profile and chances for getting in.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 30
GMAT 720 (Q51, V35)

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering (Production and Industrial engineering) from one of the NITs
MBA from one of the top 3 IIMs
Looking to do a second MBA

Work Experience: Total 5+ years
Job 1 - Automotive MNC (21 months)

Job 2 - Investment Banking (31 months)
Focused on Consumer and Consumer Tech sector

Job 3 - Private Equity Fund (12+ months)
Mid-market PE fund with focus on resource efficiency, clean energy, renewable

Extra curriculars - Decent extra curriculars, volunteering experience

Post MBA Goal - Continue my passion for investing by working in a larger PE shop


Impressive profile, but given you already have an mba and you are at 30, adcom would expect you to break into executive roles. Why do you want to go to rotman? You could easily apply to the likes of Kelloggs and Duke.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Location: China
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.27
Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Nov 2019, 22:48
Hi everyone, I'm a Chinese applicant interested in MBA programs in Canada entry 2020. Here is my profile:

Background and nationality: Chinese Male
Undergrad Information: Undergraduate degree in top 4 universities in China, majored in financial management, GPA 3.28/4(around 3.5/4 in last two years)
TOEFL:108(Speaking:23, Reading:28, Listening:30,Writing:27)
GMAT: 750 (Verbal:40, Quant:51, AWA:5.5, IR:7)
Work experience and leadership: 4.5 years working experience in investmen banking departments in securities firms in China, focusing on execution of fixed-income products, such as asset-backed securities and corporate bonds. The career track I have is normal in the industry. I got promoted from analyst to associate and from team member to team leader(project based). One concern is that I have been in 4 companies in the 4.5 years, majorly because the management I reported to was not stable, which is not uncommon in chinese capital market, especially securities firms.
Community and others: nothing special, had some volunteer experiences in university
Post MBA goals: Immigrate to Canada and work in finance industry. Working in IB in canada seems unlikely to happen for international student like me, so maybe there will be a transition. I'm now very much interested in Investment.

Besides evaluating my profile, do you have any other suggestions regarding B-school selection in Canada?I do believe I need a 2 year program to have some time and internships to prepare myself, so I'm consdering Schulich and Degroote(Co-op) as well. And for budget reason, is UofCalgary Haskayne a good option?(If work in Calgary, I may expect a finance related position in other industries)

Thanks!

Originally posted by PhilipLiu on 18 Nov 2019, 22:43.
Last edited by PhilipLiu on 18 Nov 2019, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2017
Posts: 55
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 22:46
PhilipLiu wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm a Chinese applicant interested in MBA programs in Canada entry 2020. Here is my profile:

Background and nationality: China
Undergrad Information: Undergraduate degree in top4 universities in China, majored in financial management, GPA 3.28/4(around 3.5/4 in last two years)
TOEFL:108(Speaking:23, Reading:28, Listening:30,Writing:27)
GMAT: 750 (Verbal:40, Quant:51, AWA:5.5, IR:7)
Work experience and leadership: 4.5 years working experience in investmen banking departments in securities firms in China, focusing on execution of fixed-income products, such as asset-backed securities and corporate bonds. The career track I have is normal in the industry. I got promoted from analyst to associate and from team member to team leader(project based). One concern is that I have been in 4 companies in the 4.5 years, majorly because the management I reported to was not stable, which is not uncommon in chinese capital market, especially securities firms.
Community and others: nothing special, had some volunteer experiences in university
Post MBA goals: Immigrate to Canada and work in finance industry. Working in IB in canada seems unlikely to happen for international student like me, so maybe there will be a transition. I'm now very much interested in Investment.

Besides evaluating my profile, do you have any other suggestions regarding B-school selection in Canada?I do believe I need a 2 year program to have some time and internships to prepare myself, so I'm consdering Schulich and Degroote(Co-op) as well. And for budget reason, is UofCalgary Haskayne a good option?(If work in Calgary, I may expect a finance related position in other industries)

Thanks!


Your gmat score is really good. However, you need to make your profile equally good too. You should try for rotman and ivey and there is a possibility that you can get a scholarship.

Posted from my mobile device
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 641
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:41
Hi PhilipLiu,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I like your career progression and academic background. That said, I would like to see a really strong narrative that speaks to your leadership and your need for an MBA. Coupling your background with a stellar narrative will provide a high probability of a successful application cycle.

While Canada's finance industry is not as competitive as the US', the industry is still competitive and school brand. For that reason, I recommend you target the likes of Rotman, Ivey, Smith, Schulich.

I am happy to speak further about your plans. When ready, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan


PhilipLiu wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm a Chinese applicant interested in MBA programs in Canada entry 2020. Here is my profile:

Background and nationality: Chinese Male
Undergrad Information: Undergraduate degree in top 4 universities in China, majored in financial management, GPA 3.28/4(around 3.5/4 in last two years)
TOEFL:108(Speaking:23, Reading:28, Listening:30,Writing:27)
GMAT: 750 (Verbal:40, Quant:51, AWA:5.5, IR:7)
Work experience and leadership: 4.5 years working experience in investmen banking departments in securities firms in China, focusing on execution of fixed-income products, such as asset-backed securities and corporate bonds. The career track I have is normal in the industry. I got promoted from analyst to associate and from team member to team leader(project based). One concern is that I have been in 4 companies in the 4.5 years, majorly because the management I reported to was not stable, which is not uncommon in chinese capital market, especially securities firms.
Community and others: nothing special, had some volunteer experiences in university
Post MBA goals: Immigrate to Canada and work in finance industry. Working in IB in canada seems unlikely to happen for international student like me, so maybe there will be a transition. I'm now very much interested in Investment.

Besides evaluating my profile, do you have any other suggestions regarding B-school selection in Canada?I do believe I need a 2 year program to have some time and internships to prepare myself, so I'm consdering Schulich and Degroote(Co-op) as well. And for budget reason, is UofCalgary Haskayne a good option?(If work in Calgary, I may expect a finance related position in other industries)

Thanks!

_________________
Join our Minutes to Admission Weekly newsletter, were, in a 5-min video, we share admissions insights that help you stand out. To sign up for the FREE newsletter, register here. Or copy and paste the URL in your browser: https://www.siaadmissions.com/minutes-to-admission


Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 1.6
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 00:54
Background and nationality: India
Age: 29
Undergrad Information: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering CGPA 7.387/10

GMAT: 710 (Verbal:37, Quant:50, AWA:4.5, IR:7)
Work experience and leadership: 7 years working experience in Govt owned defense manufacturing firm in Supply Chain management and project management. (Two Promotions)
Hobbies: lead vocalist for university band, head of musical club of the University, have some volunteer experiences.

Post MBA goals: Strategy/General consulting.

Kindly evaluate the profile.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 May 2019
Posts: 14
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 09:15
Hi, Please do a check on my profile.

Gender: Male
Age: 26
Nationality: Indian
CGPA: 6.47/10
Degree: BE Computer Science (CSVTU Chhattisgarh)
Experience:5 year
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)
( planning to retake and expect 730)

Work Profile: from 2016-now

Work for Konsole Group (PR company) as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Planned and execute various PR activity for Chhattisgarh state Government.

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh


As Entrepreneur:
Co Founder of Mr Tiffin (2014-16)
( Currently holding only 10% stake)

Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen that serves 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000


Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me. Some are now being part of OLA and UBER.

Goals:
Short Term: I want to change my career towards e commerce strategy and consultancy

Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 13:19
Hi Experts,

I am 28 year old Indian women working as a Senior Quality Analyst in an IT Firm. By the time I matriculate I will have 6+ years of Experience.

GMAT score 630(Q49, V26) IR - 6

Graduation : 81% (B.Tech in Electronics and Communication)
12th : 87% Central board of Secondary Education.
10th : 91.2% Central Board of Secondary Education.

Some of my profile highlights

Academics:
Have received 0.1% certificate in 10th for scoring among top 0.1% students in India CBSE
Was awarded 30% scholarship for retaining top 10 spot in engineering for 4 years

Professional:
Promotion in the first year of joining first company
Awarded in current company twice for suggesting process changes and implementing them for Quality team
Worked at Client location for a year and was awarded star of the quarter there
Have received several spot awards and Young Achiever award in first company

Extra Curricular:
Organised cultural and technical fest during graduation.
Was part of the college blog team to cover events
Actively participated in college events for dance
Was awarded at International Level competition in Art during ICSQCC summit.

Please evaluate my chances of getting through a Rotman School of Management. Open to suggestions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 18:19
Hi everyone, I'm a Hong Kong applicant interested in MBA programs in Canada entry 2020. Here is my profile:

Background and nationality: Hong Kong Male 30 yrs old
Undergrad Information: Undergraduate degree in Accounting and Master degree in law (Both obtained in Hong Kong)
Other qualification: CFA charterholder, Certified FRM
Work experience and leadership: 4 years in HSBC commercial banking as Relationship Manager, 2 years of experience in the largest Asset Management firm in China as Risk Manager with two junior staff under my management, 1.5 years exp in a family office as senior associate (mainly dealing with private equity investments)
GMAT: N/A (Understand that I could waive GMAT as I am a CFA charterholder, is there any disadvantage not to take GMAT exam?)
Community and others: as a volunteer to share CFA study experience to some CFA candidates
Post MBA goals: the key factor is to immigrate to Canada and I wish to work in finance or banking industry.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2007
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 02:49
divakergarg wrote:
Background and nationality: India
Age: 29
Undergrad Information: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering CGPA 7.387/10

GMAT: 710 (Verbal:37, Quant:50, AWA:4.5, IR:7)
Work experience and leadership: 7 years working experience in Govt owned defense manufacturing firm in Supply Chain management and project management. (Two Promotions)
Hobbies: lead vocalist for university band, head of musical club of the University, have some volunteer experiences.

Post MBA goals: Strategy/General consulting.

Kindly evaluate the profile.



Hi,

You have a nice profile. A 7-year work experience is quite substantial - you must be able to bring out the achievements/ impact/ leadership through your resume and the LORs. The essay requires you to tell stories outside your work- so they really are looking for multi-faceted personalities. I am not quite sure about your career goal- You must talk to current students and find out more about the consulting opportunities available for students- also consider getting into an operations role post MBA.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2019, 02:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    Next  [ 354 posts ] 

Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: jbatra, redskull1, hsingh3030






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne