Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
Concentration: Economics, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V29
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
philippians467 wrote:
Hello,

I would appreciate an honest profile evaluation. Thanks in advance.

Background and nationality
- Canadian, 25 Years old, Male

Undergrad Information
- University of Waterloo (Canada), Major in Mathematics, GPA 3.0 (could round to 3.3 if counting only 3rd and 4th-year level courses)

GMAT: 710~730

Work experience
- total of 1.5 years in co-op (mostly IT, data analytics roles) during undergrad (I'm aware only post-graduate experience is relevant; still planning on showing my co-op experience in resume)
- 2 years as an actuarial associate at an insurance corporation (largest provincial insurance board in Canada)
- 3 months+ as an operation analyst at the back office of one of the Big Five's investment bank divisions (current role)

Community and others
- youth mentor for underprivileged children in the GTA
- enjoy blogging; showcasing my writing/interests (investing, fin-tech, mental health, programming) through blogging

Post-MBA goals (multiple)
- short term: move into front-office at an investment bank (IB associate, corporate banking, equity research, sales and trading)
- long term: leadership role at a fin-tech company

Misc
- I enjoy working on side projects (programming an investment-management robo-advisor, designing and launching a marketing campaign for community volunteer work)

Thanks!

You have solid work experience with a great gmat score(for UofT). Would require potentially a 730+ for top schools in the states. UofT gmat usually has an average of 665-670. As long as it’s above that you have a shot. Yours is potentially 40 points higher which gives you an edge. Im sure you would be selected for an interview. As long as you nail the interview and focus on writing great essays with references to back you have your work cut out.

GPA could be held against you but being from Waterloo myself, math faculty is no joke so the GPA being on the lower side is understandable. If you have specific questions ask.

Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Need a profile review for my application to Rotman. Applying in R3
1. Work experience of 84 months at start of program.
2. GMAT 700, V35.q49

3. Experience in retail banking with Citibank as a Relationship Manager, handling ultra HNI wealth management and commercial banking portfolio of SME companies. Key deliverable is revenue generation, client relationship management, acquisition of new accounts, work with multiple internal units for closing in on clients queries. Current revenue delivery in excess of Rs15 million p.a. and have grown the same by almost 900% in last 4.5 years with Citibank.

4. Have toastmaster experience in extra curricular while working and lots of activities during undegrad, heading multiple committees of intercollege events.

5. Engineering degree with CPI of 7/10 and Post Graduate Diploma in Banking with 8.5/10. Xth and XIIth with 84.8% and 80.8% respectively.

6. Post MBA goal is Consulting

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I wanted your advice on my profile and whether the mba programs i am targeting for the 2021 admit realistic and within my reach. (IE not in the dream school category).
My target schools are Columbia, Kellogg, Michigan ross, Berkeley haas and tuck.

I am a bachelors of commerce graduate with 6.4/7 cgpa from hr college in mumbai (Mumbai University) and a gmat score of 740.

I worked full time while in college , 2 years in an equity research and mutual fund sale firm and 1 year articleship as i was pursuing CA at that time. ( cleared 2 out of the three levels but finals are left which i will not give)

I am a US CFA charterholder and US CMA certificate holder. Have also completed US CPA and US CAIA (chartered alternative investment analyst).
I have been working past 3 years in a mid sized accountancy firm based in small city in rajasthan, india.
I had to shift to rajasthan due to severe family emergencies therefore started working there as my presence was required for family.
I left my job after two years as i found a wonderful opportunity in mineral and mining and have started my own venture in partnership.
Though it can be managed and is stagnant while in the state , i wanted to make it a wholly export unit and establish in strategic locations across couple of countries like in canada and portugal and run it as a more corporate and an organized business organisation, much different from how mining is run in this state.
Therefore i planned on pursuing an mba which will help me manage and organize my business in the manner i want to run it and expand it.
I am ready to invest and grill myself for a 2 year mba in order to take the maximum out of it. 

On the extra curricular activity note, i am a registered mumber of the heartfulness organisation (for meditation) for the past 4 years. Travelled all across the country and have organised various seminars and workshops, played a big part in the green initiative and planted by myself about 40 plus trees. Have also organised meditation sessions for army personnel in my state and have also successfully implemented heartfulness for kids in various schools wherein we are training teachers on how to plant this seed right from a very young age in students.
While in college, one of my most proudest moment was when i lead an NSS team ( national service scheme) and did something out of box by forming a union for the domestic help who were in very bad condition in mumbai so that the local police as well as the members themselves can protect the right of others and to make sure that they are not exploited, due to this the police area head and i had an exclusive coverage as well.
Despite my work experience, the thing i am concerned about is my international exposure in job. That is an area i lack.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.98
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Indian Male

2012-2013
Diploma in Economics - Distinction - London School of Economics (London, UK)

2012-2016
BBA (Finance) - GPA 3.99/4 - Distinction - Hult International Business School (Boston,USA; San Francisco, USA; Shanghai, China; Dubai, UAE)
Valedictorian/Dean's List for 6 continuous terms/On boards of Hult Consulting and Finance Clubs
Interned at a Consulting firm in Boston & at an Asset Management Firm in London

GMAT: 720 (Q49/V39)

Work Experience:

2013-2015
BAT Team Leader
Bloomberg L.P. (London, UK)
Led the EMEA BAT Analytics Team.

2015-2017
Senior Associate Consultant
TISX Global (Boutique Financial Consulting) (Mumbai, India)
Strategy Consulting for SMEs.

2017-2020
Lead Principle - M&A, ECM
TISX Global (Boutique Financial Consulting) (Kolkata, India)
Led M&A and ECM assignments amounting to INR 1.73 Billion.

Target Post Rotman:
Investment Banking or Asset Management (Impact Investing/Real Estate)

Have seen several application with GMAT scores over 720 being rejected by Rotman. What are my chances here?
Also, what about the "fit" in terms of what Rotman requires of its students/applicants?

My motivations for Rotman - Right in the centre of the Canadian financial services industry. Easy immigration policies of Canada. Top tier 2 year MBA in Canada. Have already attended a couple of classes by Rotman faculty at Hult, were impressive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Deleted

Originally posted by IAMUTD20 on 21 Apr 2020, 13:32.
Last edited by IAMUTD20 on 06 Jun 2020, 06:42, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
Send PM
Hey Guys!

Got my admit today! Is there a chat group for the 2021 intake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM

Originally posted by premranjan002 on 19 May 2020, 08:13.
Last edited by premranjan002 on 10 Jun 2020, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.18
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ,
Thanks for this evaluation

Background and nationality: Engineer - India

Undergrad Information:(B.tech from VIT Vellore 7.95 CGPA )

GMAT:700

Work experience and leadership: KPMG Audit - 8 months, Cubastion consulting - 14 months (technical), JPM automation - 10 months

Leadership - Startup founder - Scribbleyourownstory -Led the end-to-end process from planning and conceptualizing the end product, recruiting freelance designers to creating
marketing and sales channels for the notebooks.
• Manufactured two set of designer registers selling a total quantity of 13,000 generating a revenue of Rs. 5,85,000.

Community and others: 1 year NGO experience

Post MBA goals: Consulting and long term entrepreneurship

Anything else?[/b][/quote]: 99.01 CAT percentile 2017, 98.89 percentile 2019

Thanks in Advance
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi @kansalharsh950206,

Rotman is a good pick when it comes to Consulting as a post-MBA goal. 10% of the class of 2019 went for consulting roles. And Toronoto is a great city for Entrepreneurs (since Entrepreneurship is your long-rem goal)

With a GMAT score of 700 (which is well above the average), I see a good chance for you to make it to Rotman. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool. Make sure you highlight diversity of experience in your application. You can easily use your startup experience to your advantage.

One quick question: Including your startup experience, what is the total no. of work experience that you'll have at the time of matriculation?

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin
kansalharsh950206 wrote:
Hi ,
Thanks for this evaluation

Background and nationality: Engineer - India

Undergrad Information:(B.tech from VIT Vellore 7.95 CGPA )

GMAT:700

Work experience and leadership: KPMG Audit - 8 months, Cubastion consulting - 14 months (technical), JPM automation - 10 months

Leadership - Startup founder - Scribbleyourownstory -Led the end-to-end process from planning and conceptualizing the end product, recruiting freelance designers to creating
marketing and sales channels for the notebooks.
• Manufactured two set of designer registers selling a total quantity of 13,000 generating a revenue of Rs. 5,85,000.

Community and others: 1 year NGO experience

Post MBA goals: Consulting and long term entrepreneurship

Anything else?[/b]
: 99.01 CAT percentile 2017, 98.89 percentile 2019

Thanks in Advance[/quote]

Originally posted by MBAnBConsulting on 10 Jun 2020, 03:37.
Last edited by MBAnBConsulting on 10 Jun 2020, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Hi premranjan002,

Your GMAT score of 690 is good enough. However, I'd need to learn more about your work experience in order to evaluate your chances better. It would be essential to understand your post-MBA goals as well.

Rotman highly values 'diversity' and 'business for social good'. Make sure you highlight these values in your application and connect them to your experience. It would also be useful to just introspect and come up with the gaps in your profile that you think an MBA from Rotman will help you. Once you have this sorted- What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
[url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/shantanu-sharma-b7938431/]Linkedin[/url
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.18
Send PM
Hi MBAnBConsulting / Shantanu

Thanks for the evaluation. Actually i did my startup alongside my job. yes i ll make sure to include it in my essay write up , but i don't think i can put it as additional work ex years.Hiwever it was a 13 months venture .

Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
[Hi @kansalharsh950206,

I get it :) I had a similar case when I was writing my application for b-schools. I ran my startup alongside my regular job for a few months too. And yes you can't mention it as additional work experience, but there are ways you can portray examples from both (job and startup) in your application, which would definitely count as additional experience (just not numerically), and that really gives you an edge over other applicants in the pool.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call with you this weekend to discuss your profile further, feel free to url=https://www.mbaandbeyond.com/calendly?utm_source=gmatclub&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=jun10_1]Schedule a call[/url] as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

quote="kansalharsh950206"]Hi MBAnBConsulting / Shantanu

Thanks for the evaluation. Actually i did my startup alongside my job. yes i ll make sure to include it in my essay write up , but i don't think i can put it as additional work ex years.Hiwever it was a 13 months venture .

Regards.[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '24
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone please review my profile for Rotman?

Indian, male, 25 years.

10th - 90.92%
12th - 88.5% -- top 1% of State (among the top 0.01% performers in engineering entrance)
Graduation (Engineering) - 8.4 CGPA -- University of Mumbai -- top 10% of the batch. -- -- an alumnus of one of the oldest engineering colleges in India (it was founded in 1887 so a vintage of 133 years). My undergrad school has been a B-school feeder for all the top B schools in India. A few extra-curricular activities spread across 4 years and 2 internships. Also, got an opportunity to present my technical paper at a national level technical conference organized by the largest research and development organization in India (CSIR).

Work Exp - 03 years (as of June 2020) in Financial Consulting spread across 2 organizations (1st being the oldest rating agency in India and 2nd is one of the Big4's) - 1 promotion + increase in the scope of work + experience in catering to C-Suite requirements. I have been handling and managing the projects as an individual contributor.

7-month work experience in the Middle East + Consulted international financial institutions from India.
Individual projects -
Helped an NGO to set up its operations and initial funding requirements.
Currently helping a few MSMEs in reorganizing, rebranding, product placement, and product pricing.

GMAT Scores across mocks
Kaplan Mock 1 - 680 (Q49, V34)
Kaplan Mock 2 - 590 (Q46, V25)
Kaplan Mock 3 - 670 (Q46, V36)
Kaplan Mock 4 - 660 (Q48, V33)
Veritas Mock 1 - 670 (Q49, V33)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM