Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [66]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Send PM
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks [#permalink]
abhinav770 wrote:
Thanks, this is succinct and precise.

Thank you for the encouragement!

If you feel like there is content missing or you would like me to add detail to a couple of points please let me know.

Regards,
Chris
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing these!
Did you take your GMAT and got the score that you are happy with?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

I have not taken my GMAT yet, the split between my quant (35-40) and my verbal (40-46) results is still too big.
However, this forum has been a great ressource with regards to improving upon my weaknesses and the community is very open and helpful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Arro44 wrote:
bb wrote:

I have not taken my GMAT yet, the split between my quant (35-40) and my verbal (40-46) results is still too big.
However, this forum has been a great ressource with regards to improving upon my weaknesses and the community is very open and helpful.

Your Verbal score so amazing. I wish I could be as good as you in Verbal. RC eats me totally during tests. Some times I do good in CR some time I do good in RC. But both do not come out good together. :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Arro44 wrote:
Hey guys,

I´ve realized that the verbal section of the GMAT does come much easier to me than quant and so I thought I might share a couple of things that helped me so far.
I don´t claim that I have invented all of the strategies below and videos from Veritas Prep and GmatNinja on their respective YT channels helped me a lot!

Below collection of thoughts is what was helpful for me, if you disagree on certain things please let me know as this creates a more holistic picture overall.

Although this might appear very simple, its really helpful:

Write down the respective choices a,b,c,d,e on your scratchpaper and cross out an answerchoice once you have eliminated it. Especially if you are forced to reread a passage or sentence this is going to prove very helpful and saves valuable time.

1. CR

If you read a certain passage make sure you try to identify the respective argument and the flaws it might contain. Once you read the question, try to think some 10-15 sec. about whether you already have an answer in mind. This is going to help you structure your thoughts as well as to avoid some of the trap answers the GMAT be might trowing at you.

For strenghten/weaken questions, try to create the inverse of the respective argument in your head. This is going to help you understand the significance of an argument and you might often find the correct solution considering the results incase its opposite were to be true.

2. SC

Make sure you focus on the right decision points, just because some phrase does not sound right does not mean its wrong. Especially for the harder questions it is very helpful to look for flaws in the meaning and not only focus on the grammar or style.

Once you have identified and error try to look for answer choices which repeat this mistake. Often you can eliminate between 2-3 answer choices by spotting one error!

Don´t overlook the non underlined portion! Especially in longer SC sentences one easily gets caught up in the underlines portion and the part of the sentence that comes before it. However, often the end of the sentence contains valueable information about the tense or the meaning and should not be overlooked.

3. RC

I personally became much better at RC once I started reading the passages carefully. While there are some strategies out there which tell you too scim through everything that has not wroked too well for me. By saying carefully I don´t encourage you to focus on every detail, but make sure to get an understanding of the meaning and the context of the respective passage. Ideally try to understand the authors perspective as this comes up in questions quite frequently.

Especially for non-native speakers:

Try to increase your exposure to English texts, ideally via high quality newspapers, scientific articles or books. This is going to make you more comfortable with reading in general and ideally also increases your vocabulary. Once you become comfortable try to increase you reading pace as you go along articles and see up to what pace you are still able to get the meaning out what you are reading.

TOEFL

I know this is not part of the GMAT, however as this might be relevant for a large number of international students I am going to link the TOEFEL requirements of various popular schools below:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-score- ... 80110.html

I hope this post is helpful for a couple of you guys struggeling with verbal. As I go along in my studies I will try to edit and add further tips and tricks to this article.

Best regards,
Chris

Great Post Chris :clap:

Keep Posting. :thumbup:
Director
Director
Send PM
AkshdeepS wrote:
Arro44 wrote:
bb wrote:

Your Verbal score so amazing. I wish I could be as good as you in Verbal. RC eats me totally during tests. Some times I do good in CR some time I do good in RC. But both do not come out good together. :(

While it might be a difficult road, I am sure you will get there my friend.

I will try to take some time this sunday to expand upon the RC section of this post, maybe that can be of help to you.

All the best,
Chris
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Arro44 wrote:

While it might be a difficult road, I am sure you will get there my friend.

I will try to take some time this sunday to expand upon the RC section of this post, maybe that can be of help to you.

All the best,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Incredible Verbal scores!
Looking forward to your RC post. My accuracy has been 60% in RC. Any guideline is much appreciated.

Stay blessed.
Thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hey friends,

as I vowed to keep this topic up to date I am currently looking for new ideas/segments to focus on.

At the top of my head, CR, as well as practice materials or a recommendation of good verbal threads & experts, comes to mind.
Please let me know what you would prefer or if you would like to see something else entirely.

Best regards,
Chris
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
As some people on the chat have asked for it, I have updated the SC section slightly and also added a sample question for practice purposes.

I am super happy about the positive feedback I have received so far for this collection.
However, I am still striving to improve upon certain topics, so please feel free to reach out if you would like to read more about a topic you might be struggling with.

Best regards & have a great weekend,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Thank you so much, Chris, for this. This is very clear and concise.
Would love if you could post a similar post for quants as well.
Director
Director
Send PM
kavach wrote:
Thank you so much, Chris, for this. This is very clear and concise.
Would love if you could post a similar post for quants as well.

Thank you, I do appreciate the feedback.
However, concerning quant I do lack the knowledge to create a similar post I am afraid. :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:
Send PM
This is very concise and helpful. I am currently struggling a lot with my verbal (V 30-35), where as I easily score well in quant (Q 47-50).

Hope I am able to apply these successfully :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks for the post.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Arro44 wrote:

For strengthen/weaken questions, try to create the inverse of the respective argument in your head. This is going to help you understand the significance of an argument and you might often find the correct solution considering the results in case its opposite were to be true.

Hi good sir, would you mind explaining this with an example please?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts