GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

     November 23, 2018

     November 23, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 321
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Jul 2018, 13:12
16
14
Hey guys,

I´ve realized that the verbal section of the GMAT does come much easier to me than quant and so I thought I might share a couple of things that helped me so far.
I don´t claim that I have invented all of the strategies below and videos from Veritas Prep and GmatNinja on their respective YT channels helped me a lot!

Below collection of thoughts is what was helpful for me, if you disagree on certain things please let me know as this creates a more holistic picture overall.

Although this might appear very simple, its really helpful:

Write down the respective choices a,b,c,d,e on your scratchpaper and cross out an answerchoice once you have eliminated it. Especially if you are forced to reread a passage or sentence this is going to prove very helpful and saves valuable time.

1. CR

If you read a certain passage make sure you try to identify the respective argument and the flaws it might contain. Once you read the question, try to think some 10-15 sec. about whether you already have an answer in mind. This is going to help you structure your thoughts as well as to avoid some of the trap answers the GMAT be might trowing at you.

For strenghten/weaken questions, try to create the inverse of the respective argument in your head. This is going to help you understand the significance of an argument and you might often find the correct solution considering the results incase its opposite were to be true.


2. SC

Make sure you focus on the right decision points, just because some phrase does not sound right does not mean its wrong. Especially for the harder questions it is very helpful to look for flaws in the meaning and not only focus on the grammar or style.

Once you have identified and error try to look for answer choices which repeat this mistake. Often you can eliminate between 2-3 answer choices by spotting one error!

Don´t overlook the non underlined portion! Especially in longer SC sentences one easily gets caught up in the underlines portion and the part of the sentence that comes before it. However, often the end of the sentence contains valueable information about the tense or the meaning and should not be overlooked.


3. RC

I personally became much better at RC once I started reading the passages carefully. While there are some strategies out there which tell you too scim through everything that has not wroked too well for me. By saying carefully I don´t encourage you to focus on every detail, but make sure to get an understanding of the meaning and the context of the respective passage. Ideally try to understand the authors perspective as this comes up in questions quite frequently.

Especially for non-native speakers:

Try to increase your exposure to English texts, ideally via high quality newspapers, scientific articles or books. This is going to make you more comfortable with reading in general and ideally also increases your vocabulary. Once you become comfortable try to increase you reading pace as you go along articles and see up to what pace you are still able to get the meaning out what you are reading.

TOEFL

I know this is not part of the GMAT, however as this might be relevant for a large number of international students I am going to link the TOEFEL requirements of various popular schools below:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-score- ... 80110.html


I hope this post is helpful for a couple of you guys struggeling with verbal. As I go along in my studies I will try to edit and add further tips and tricks to this article.

Best regards,
Chris
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)


Originally posted by Arro44 on 22 Jun 2018, 01:21.
Last edited by Arro44 on 08 Jul 2018, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 128
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:09
Thanks, this is succinct and precise.
_________________

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 321
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 11:29
abhinav770 wrote:
Thanks, this is succinct and precise.


Thank you for the encouragement!

If you feel like there is content missing or you would like me to add detail to a couple of points please let me know.

Regards,
Chris
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16937
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 11:16
Thanks for sharing these!
Did you take your GMAT and got the score that you are happy with?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 321
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 10:32
bb wrote:
Thanks for sharing these!
Did you take your GMAT and got the score that you are happy with?


I have not taken my GMAT yet, the split between my quant (35-40) and my verbal (40-46) results is still too big.
However, this forum has been a great ressource with regards to improving upon my weaknesses and the community is very open and helpful.
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1313
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 23:35
Arro44 wrote:
bb wrote:
Thanks for sharing these!
Did you take your GMAT and got the score that you are happy with?


I have not taken my GMAT yet, the split between my quant (35-40) and my verbal (40-46) results is still too big.
However, this forum has been a great ressource with regards to improving upon my weaknesses and the community is very open and helpful.


Your Verbal score so amazing. I wish I could be as good as you in Verbal. RC eats me totally during tests. Some times I do good in CR some time I do good in RC. But both do not come out good together. :(
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 478
Location: India
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 09:29
Arro44 wrote:
Hey guys,

I´ve realized that the verbal section of the GMAT does come much easier to me than quant and so I thought I might share a couple of things that helped me so far.
I don´t claim that I have invented all of the strategies below and videos from Veritas Prep and GmatNinja on their respective YT channels helped me a lot!

Below collection of thoughts is what was helpful for me, if you disagree on certain things please let me know as this creates a more holistic picture overall.

Although this might appear very simple, its really helpful:

Write down the respective choices a,b,c,d,e on your scratchpaper and cross out an answerchoice once you have eliminated it. Especially if you are forced to reread a passage or sentence this is going to prove very helpful and saves valuable time.

1. CR

If you read a certain passage make sure you try to identify the respective argument and the flaws it might contain. Once you read the question, try to think some 10-15 sec. about whether you already have an answer in mind. This is going to help you structure your thoughts as well as to avoid some of the trap answers the GMAT be might trowing at you.

For strenghten/weaken questions, try to create the inverse of the respective argument in your head. This is going to help you understand the significance of an argument and you might often find the correct solution considering the results incase its opposite were to be true.


2. SC

Make sure you focus on the right decision points, just because some phrase does not sound right does not mean its wrong. Especially for the harder questions it is very helpful to look for flaws in the meaning and not only focus on the grammar or style.

Once you have identified and error try to look for answer choices which repeat this mistake. Often you can eliminate between 2-3 answer choices by spotting one error!

Don´t overlook the non underlined portion! Especially in longer SC sentences one easily gets caught up in the underlines portion and the part of the sentence that comes before it. However, often the end of the sentence contains valueable information about the tense or the meaning and should not be overlooked.


3. RC

I personally became much better at RC once I started reading the passages carefully. While there are some strategies out there which tell you too scim through everything that has not wroked too well for me. By saying carefully I don´t encourage you to focus on every detail, but make sure to get an understanding of the meaning and the context of the respective passage. Ideally try to understand the authors perspective as this comes up in questions quite frequently.

Especially for non-native speakers:

Try to increase your exposure to English texts, ideally via high quality newspapers, scientific articles or books. This is going to make you more comfortable with reading in general and ideally also increases your vocabulary. Once you become comfortable try to increase you reading pace as you go along articles and see up to what pace you are still able to get the meaning out what you are reading.

TOEFL

I know this is not part of the GMAT, however as this might be relevant for a large number of international students I am going to link the TOEFEL requirements of various popular schools below:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-score- ... 80110.html


I hope this post is helpful for a couple of you guys struggeling with verbal. As I go along in my studies I will try to edit and add further tips and tricks to this article.

Best regards,
Chris


Great Post Chris :clap:

Keep Posting. :thumbup:
_________________

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 321
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 02:04
AkshdeepS wrote:
Arro44 wrote:
bb wrote:
Thanks for sharing these!
Did you take your GMAT and got the score that you are happy with?


I have not taken my GMAT yet, the split between my quant (35-40) and my verbal (40-46) results is still too big.
However, this forum has been a great ressource with regards to improving upon my weaknesses and the community is very open and helpful.


Your Verbal score so amazing. I wish I could be as good as you in Verbal. RC eats me totally during tests. Some times I do good in CR some time I do good in RC. But both do not come out good together. :(


While it might be a difficult road, I am sure you will get there my friend.

I will try to take some time this sunday to expand upon the RC section of this post, maybe that can be of help to you.

All the best,
Chris
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 10:05
Arro44 wrote:

While it might be a difficult road, I am sure you will get there my friend.

I will try to take some time this sunday to expand upon the RC section of this post, maybe that can be of help to you.

All the best,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Incredible Verbal scores!
Looking forward to your RC post. My accuracy has been 60% in RC. Any guideline is much appreciated.

Stay blessed.
Thanks.
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 321
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 15:36
2
1
Gents,

it took me far longer than initially planned but here we go:

Mindset

Try to change your approach towards RC, while it is challenging, keep in mind that the answer is "literally" in front of you.

Whereas SC and CR questions throw a lot of rocks our way and are full of traps, many RC detail questions can be answered simply by finding the right passage in the text.

Furthermore, getting a general understanding o f the text and the authors idea is often all you need for answering those inference questions.

Notes:

I don´t view this point as black and white.
While notes can be very helpful for some they might be detrimental for others.

Notes can help you to keep the most important aspects of a passage in mind.
You are not only creating something for later reference but by writing something you are also reinforcing the information in your thoughts.
Additionally, notes can help you to track important information in long, convoluted passages.

However, everytime you stop to take notes you not only lose time but you might have problems to get back into the passage mentally.
Every interruption might potentially stop your train of thougt.

Therefore, in terms of amount and detail of note go with whatever feels comfortable for you. However, I think you should try out different styles of note taking to see what feels natural for you.

Moreover, some things like the general structure is always a good thing to put on paper.

Easy/Hard passage:

Do not try to judge your passage based on how hard or how easy it might feel. The GMAT has set of questions with varying diffculties for most texts. Hence, you might encounter "easy" questions on a hard text and vice versa.

Practice makes perfect:

I know you have heard that, I might have said it myself a dozen times. :)

Try to increase your exposure to English, ideally high quality writing. The more you read, the more comfortable you will become when attacking RC passages.

Please let me know incase you want me to provide a couple of theads, books and newspapers that I consider helpful for RC.

Feedback is always welcome!

All the best for your prep,
Chris
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2018, 15:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Verbal - Strategies, tips & tricks

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.