Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [32]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [2]
Send PM
Re: Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible that high-def [#permalink]
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
What is the intended meaning of sentence here I picked the right answer but took a while...

What does "that" refer to in option C?

The sentence says that now HD cameras can capture images very well (like a 35 mm film) and project it in a theater.

Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to that(degree of fidelity) of 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible that high-def [#permalink]
Zarrolou wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
What is the intended meaning of sentence here I picked the right answer but took a while...

What does "that" refer to in option C?

The sentence says that now HD cameras can capture images very well (like a 35 mm film) and project it in a theater.

Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to that(degree of fidelity) of 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality.

what does "IT" refer to in this sentence?

Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [0]
Send PM
maaadhu wrote:

Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material

Nothing. This is one of the rare cases in which "it" does not stand for a noun in particular.

It is hard to win without a proper training. This is another example of this kind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
maaadhu wrote:

Nothing. This is one of the rare cases in which "it" does not stand for a noun in particular.

It is hard to win without a proper training. This is another example of this kind.

Zarrlou,

I thought pronouns must have an antecedent. I remember reading this rule in MGMAT sentence correction book.

This sentence might be an exception. Thanks for answering.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [0]
Send PM
maaadhu wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
maaadhu wrote:

Zarrlou,

I thought pronouns must have an antecedent. I remember reading this rule in MGMAT sentence correction book.

This sentence might be an exception. Thanks for answering.

There are some exceptions to that rule. Check this post by Ron about the usage of it: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/adv ... 87-15.html
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Great explanation by Zarrolou!

However, one aspect that I think can be added to the explanation was that options B, D and E change the intended meaning of the original sentence and therefore, can be rejected on this ground too.

First of all, what is the intended meaning of the sentence:
• Recent breakthroughs in technology have made something possible
• Which thing possible?
o that high-definition digital video cameras are able
a. to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to 35-millimeter film
b. and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality
So, the breakthroughs in technologies have made high definition camera able to do two things as mentioned above.

Now, let’s substitute option B, D and E in the original sentence and see how they change the intended meaning:
Option B:
Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible to have high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like that with 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality.

So, this sentence says that breakthroughs in technology have made it possible to have these HD cameras. This may imply one of the following:
• Probably the breakthroughs in technology have made it possible to produce such cameras –
o these cameras probably existed before
o but were not being produced
o and the latest technologies makes it possible to produce them –
• Or the breakthroughs have made it possible to expand their reach –
o these camera were produced even before
o but with the technological breakthroughs, they are now available for everyone to buy them.

So, as we can see that the original sentence says that the technological breakthroughs enhanced the capabilities of HD camera but this sentence talks about possibility of possessing these cameras. Clearly, the original meaning has been distorted in option B.

Option D:
Recent breakthroughs in technology have made possible high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality

This sentence says that recent breakthroughs have made possible HD DV cameras that can do some stuff.
The meaning conveyed by this sentence is same as that conveyed by option B above.
The original sentence said it is possible that HD TV cameras are able to do some stuff.
Option D says that HD TV cameras that can do some stuff are now possible.
So, the focus has shifted from ability to existence/production.

Option E distorts the meaning in a similar way.

So notice how subtle changes in placement and wording can have such a big impact on the meaning communicated by the sentence. So make sure that you understand the meaning communicated by each choice and ask yourself – Is this what the author wanted to communicate?

- Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
(A) it possible that high-definition digital video cameras are able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to
(B) it possible to have high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like that with
(C) it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to that of
(D) possible high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like
(E) possible high-definition digital video cameras able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to that with

B, & D is out, needs to have 'to'
left w/ A,C & E

A is out -compares to wrong comparison

C & E now...hmmm

Whys is C wrong again? "have made possible (..) cameras able" makes the sentence awkward (no need to use able) doesnt make much sense to me
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
amenon55 wrote:
Whys is C wrong again? "have made possible (..) cameras able" makes the sentence awkward (no need to use able) doesnt make much sense to me

Am assuming you mean..Whys E wrong?

Hope the intended meaning of the sentence is clear: With high-definition digital video cameras, it is possible to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to degree of fidelity of 35-millimeter film

Frankly you don't need to know what degree of fidelity is. It is clearly some property (such as brightness, contrast etc.). So, the way we have brightness of a film, contrast of a film etc., similarly we should have degree of fidelity of a film.

Basically it cannot be degree of fidelity with a film. But that is exactly what E states.

With E, the sentence would be:

Recent breakthroughs in technology have made possible high-definition digital video cameras able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to that with 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible that high-def [#permalink]
Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible that high-definition digital video cameras are able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality.

(A) it possible that high-definition digital video cameras are able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to - it possible that is correct iPostpone That Clause Subjects: It gave us encouragement THAT we scored at all. - Manhattan SC book page 216) - out wrong comparison

(B) it possible to have high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like that with - it possible to have is correct - Postpone Infinitive Subjects: It is futile TO RESIST temptation. - wrong comparison

(C) it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to that of -to capture - correct (watch B) - correct comparison

(D) possible high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like - wrong comparison

(E) possible high-definition digital video cameras able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to that with - wrong comparison
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
nishtil wrote:
Recent breakthroughs in technology have made it possible that high-definition digital video cameras are able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to 35-millimeter film and to project it digitally in theaters with no resulting loss of image quality.

(A) it possible that high-definition digital video cameras are able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to

(B) it possible to have high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like that with

(C) it possible for high-definition digital video cameras to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to that of

(D) possible high-definition digital video cameras that can capture material at a degree of fidelity almost like

(E) possible high-definition digital video cameras able to capture material with a degree of fidelity that nearly compares to that with

we can use parallelism to go to oa inhere. "to project" need a parallel element, so, only choice a, c and e are left. we need "that of" not "that with" , choice e is gone. choice a has no "that " ,so, is wrong.

I want to say about idiom MAKE IT.

this phrase makes us a lot of trouble. we do not need to remember this idiom to go to choice oa becuase gmat dose not test idiom but meaning/logic.

"make it +adjective +for somebody to do".
"it" is fake object.
this pattern is used to make an idea presented by "for somebody to do" have an characteristic presented by adjective. remember, we do not presented the idea in "that-clause". choice a is not idiomatic.

"make +adjective+noun"=make+ noun+adjective

I make the girl beautiful=I make beautiful the girl, who last night taught me gmat.

this is correct.
however, we need a noun to be fit with the adjective.
"make possible the high definition camara" is not logic. we can not make possible a camera. we make possible making camera. choice d and e is not logic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Can someone explain in second part “and to protect it”...... Here it refers to what ?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
G1212 wrote:
Can someone explain in second part “and to protect it”...... Here it refers to what ?

Hi G1212, it refers to:

to capture material with a degree of fidelity nearly comparable to that of 35-millimeter film

This is one of the cases where the pronoun (it) is used before the antecedent.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses such usage of "it", its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts