GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 05:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:41) correct 19% (01:49) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into classrooms at the elementary level, the arithmetic ability of pupils becomes weaker. The calculator is a convenient tool that increases accuracy and is widely used. The use of calculators in school should be limited to high school students. Developmental psychologists have proven that even though a child may seem to grasp a concept fully, that child needs time and practice to integrate it properly if it is to be used as an actual application.

Which of the following, if true, supports the argument's conclusion?

A) Subject matter in the high school syllabus is aimed at developing reasoning and problem-solving logic, and begins to move away from the rudimentary performing of tasks.
B) The systematic approach that working with a calculator demands can assist elementary pupils further in understanding arithmetic method.
C) The functionality of calculators is constantly being improved to include features that apply to a variety of study fields.
D) Almost 75% of the calculators used by elementary school pupils are bought by parents, not by request of their children.
E) In the professional world, many careless errors are committed that could have been prevented if calculators were used.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 09:35
when calculators are allowed into classrooms at the elementary level, the arithmetic ability of pupils becomes weaker.
The calculator is a convenient tool but should be limited to high school students.
Even though a child may seem to grasp a concept fully, that child needs time and practice to integrate it properly.
(This is not the case of high schools where are not concentrating on mere calculations and aimed at logic and concepts. So they are permitted to use calculators)

Which of the following, if true, supports the argument's conclusion?

A) Subject matter in the high school syllabus is aimed at developing reasoning and problem-solving logic, and begins to move away from the rudimentary performing of tasks.(This is inline with our pre-line thinking and the correct answer.)
B) The systematic approach that working with a calculator demands can assist elementary pupils further in understanding arithmetic method.(Weakener-opposite)
C) The functionality of calculators is constantly being improved to include features that apply to a variety of study fields.(OFS)
D) Almost 75% of the calculators used by elementary school pupils are bought by parents, not by request of their children.(OFS)
E) In the professional world, many careless errors are committed that could have been prevented if calculators were used.
(OFS---too broad. this refers whole professional world instead of kids)
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 04:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 04:19

Recent research has shown that when calculators are allowed into

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap