Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: HEC Dec"18
GMAT Date: 02-04-2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Request to rate my AWA [#permalink]
abdb wrote:
Hi Bharat,

Many thanks for your feedback. I have now changed the structure of the AWA. Can you please provide feedback on this. I intend to use this structure on my actual test day - 5 days from now! Look forward to your response.

The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper.
“Commuter use of the new subway train is exceeding the transit company’s projections. However, commuter use of the shuttle buses that transport people to the subway stations is below the projected volume. If the transit company expects commuters to ride the shuttle buses to the subway rather than drive there, it must either reduce the shuttle bus fares or increase the price of parking at the subway stations.”

Discuss how well reasoned...

The argument mentions that the subway train is used by more people than was projected but the number of commuters of shuttle buses is below expectations. While the argument has some merit in suggesting reducing fares of shuttle buses or increasing the price of parking at subway stations, they may not have the desired effect of increasing commuters riding the shuttle.
The argument assumes that all subway commuters would fall into two categories of (a) commuters driving to the stations or (b) commuters riding shuttle buses. However, there might be alternative means of transport such as buses operated by the government that people may be using. Hence, increasing parking price or reducing the fare of shuttle buses might not be fruitful. In addition, it would be useful to understand the price sensitivity of the shuttle service. It is possible that demand is highly inelastic, i.e. change in fares does not lead to a significant change in the number of commuters. Any evidence in this regard will be helpful to strengthen or weaken the argument.
Moreover, the real reason behind the unpopularity of shuttle service must be known. It is possible that the shuttles are too crowded, are not reliable, or just too infrequent for people to keep waiting for them. Hence, it will be helpful to evaluate the real cause of the relatively low commuter numbers. A survey of regular commuters of the subway might reveal the true cause and help devise effective solutions to the problem.
Also, as the argument mentions that commuters of the subway and the shuttle are above / below projections, it is important to understand the basis of these projections. It is possible that a key underlying assumption of the projections may have changed. For instance, if the projection is based on the assumption that >50% of the people will take the shuttle to the station, this might have been impacted due to recent improvements in public transport system or the recent popularity of “car pools” among colleagues
Hence, while the argument suggests solutions to solve the problem at hand, it does not fully explore the real causes. Hence, it is important to bring out the underlying causes such as quality of the shuttle service, the competition from local transportation, etc. and then suggest solutions, addressing the real cause of the problem.

Great improvement!!!

I feel the essay a bit short. Try to write approx. 500 word essay. I think that would be ideal.
It is better to have 4/5 simpler sentences than complex sentences.

Use keywords generously.
Practice everyday with one/two essays. And give yourself time(2-3 mins) for reading the essay in the exam so that you can check grammar, punctuation and correct any other silly mistakes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Bharat, another one I wrote today. Lemme knw ur thoughts on this.

"In the first four years that Montoya has served as mayor of the city of San Perdito, the population has decreased
and the unemployment rate has increased. Two businesses have closed for each new business
that has opened. Under Varro, who served as mayor for four years before Montoya, the unemployment rate
decreased and the population increased. Clearly, the residents of San Perdito would be best served if they voted
Montoya out of office and reelected Varro."
Discuss how well reasoned ... etc.

The argument is not very well reasoned. It states that the unemployment rates have increased under mayor Montoya and people in the city will be served better by the previous mayor, Varro, under whom the unemployment rate declined. The argument assumes that the unemployment is the single most important indicator of the performance of a mayor. It does not consider other factors such as crime, security, healthcare, sanitation etc. While suggesting that Varro will be the best choice for the city as the new mayor the argument does not provide any information on the performance of Varro in the last four years. Also, while mentioning the unemployment rate, it does not consider other factors which might have impacted the economics of the city. These may include national level security, foreign investment environment, economic situation of the country, etc.
While the unemployment rate may have increased, the actual number of jobs might have risen (since population declined). Any evidence that the actual number of jobs increased will weaken the argument whereas contrary evidence will strengthen the argument. Hence, providing the actual numbers will help to evaluate the argument better. Also, while businesses may have closed at a rate double than that of the ones opened, it is not an exhaustive indicator of economic activity. It is possible that the economy of the city is more oriented towards the tertiary sector and people are winding up their businesses only to take up jobs. Also, the role of agriculture in the economy of the city also needs to be assessed to gain a better understanding of the economy.
The argument also does not consider external factors such as the stage of the economic cycle in the last four years, the foreign investment environment, national security and political issues, etc. all of which may have led to a poor economic performance despite measures taken by the mayor’s government
Any evidence on other factors than the economy, such as crime rate, literacy, healthcare, sanitation etc. will be important to understand the performance of the mayor. It is possible that while the economy would not have done remarkably well in the last four years. Other areas such as the ones mentioned above may have witnessed significant improvement. Hence, it is essential to look at the social welfare factors to better evaluate the claim in the argument.
Finally, it is important to understand the credentials of Varro to become the mayor in the new elections. The argument does not provide any information on Varro’s performance in the last four years and his ability to contest elections. It is possible that he would have done poorly in a weak socio-economic environment in the last four years too and hence may not be the best choice for the post.
Thus, the argument has a weak line of reasoning and is unconvincing. To determine the best choice for the mayor’s post, it may be useful to conduct a survey. Also, data on other factors will help to make the argument more logically sound and help answer the questions raised due to assumptions. Thus, a well-rounded analysis must be done to argue who should be the best choice for the mayor’s position.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abdb wrote:
Thanks Bharat, another one I wrote today. Lemme knw ur thoughts on this.

"In the first four years that Montoya has served as mayor of the city of San Perdito, the population has decreased
and the unemployment rate has increased. Two businesses have closed for each new business
that has opened. Under Varro, who served as mayor for four years before Montoya, the unemployment rate
decreased and the population increased. Clearly, the residents of San Perdito would be best served if they voted
Montoya out of office and reelected Varro."
Discuss how well reasoned ... etc.

The argument is not very well reasoned. It states that the unemployment rates have increased under mayor Montoya and people in the city will be served better by the previous mayor, Varro, under whom the unemployment rate declined. The argument assumes that the unemployment is the single most important indicator of the performance of a mayor. It does not consider other factors such as crime, security, healthcare, sanitation etc. While suggesting that Varro will be the best choice for the city as the new mayor the argument does not provide any information on the performance of Varro in the last four years. Also, while mentioning the unemployment rate, it does not consider other factors which might have impacted the economics of the city. These may include national level security, foreign investment environment, economic situation of the country, etc.
While the unemployment rate may have increased, the actual number of jobs might have risen (since population declined). Any evidence that the actual number of jobs increased will weaken the argument whereas contrary evidence will strengthen the argument. Hence, providing the actual numbers will help to evaluate the argument better. Also, while businesses may have closed at a rate double than that of the ones opened, it is not an exhaustive indicator of economic activity. It is possible that the economy of the city is more oriented towards the tertiary sector and people are winding up their businesses only to take up jobs. Also, the role of agriculture in the economy of the city also needs to be assessed to gain a better understanding of the economy.
The argument also does not consider external factors such as the stage of the economic cycle in the last four years, the foreign investment environment, national security and political issues, etc. all of which may have led to a poor economic performance despite measures taken by the mayor’s government
Any evidence on other factors than the economy, such as crime rate, literacy, healthcare, sanitation etc. will be important to understand the performance of the mayor. It is possible that while the economy would not have done remarkably well in the last four years. Other areas such as the ones mentioned above may have witnessed significant improvement. Hence, it is essential to look at the social welfare factors to better evaluate the claim in the argument.
Finally, it is important to understand the credentials of Varro to become the mayor in the new elections. The argument does not provide any information on Varro’s performance in the last four years and his ability to contest elections. It is possible that he would have done poorly in a weak socio-economic environment in the last four years too and hence may not be the best choice for the post.
Thus, the argument has a weak line of reasoning and is unconvincing. To determine the best choice for the mayor’s post, it may be useful to conduct a survey. Also, data on other factors will help to make the argument more logically sound and help answer the questions raised due to assumptions. Thus, a well-rounded analysis must be done to argue who should be the best choice for the mayor’s position.

Overall it is decent. But there is always room for improvement.

I personally felt that the first paragraph is not in a way it has to be. I suggest you to first paraphrase the argument and state author's line of reasoning- This tells the reader that you have understood the argument. Then state flaws and say the argument is flawed.
Starting with the sentence-The argument is not very well reasoned.- disappointed me. Because everyone know that the argument is flawed. Moreover, after the sentence you did not state why it is flawed immediately. You have paraphrased the argument.
Make sure that each sentence is connected to the previous/next sentence logically. I mean, when you read the essay, it has to be in a flow.

Anyway no worries..
AWA score is the one that schools use to check whether you or somebody else wrote the essays.
So keep it simple. Don't worry much about AWA(if you score 4.5 or 5) and concentrate more on the other sections which are crucial.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
just received my official score report...elated to see a 6/6 on AWA (in addition to the 740, I already saw in my unofficial report too)...thank you so much bharat!

Let me know if I can be of help to you. Many thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts