Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Requesting Evaluation of my ESR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sachin,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though - as well as the data in your ESR - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies? Have you used any other “brands” of CATs/mocks besides the Official CATs?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hi Rich.

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?-2-3 hours a day on working days and 5-6 hours on Sunday
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies? Have you used any other “brands” of CATs/mocks besides the Official CATs?-I have a Magoosh premium subscription.Have taken Manhattan mocks besides the official ones
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?I took the official tests 3(760-q50v42) and 4(740-q49v40) four days and two days before my 2nd attempt.

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?-700+
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?-planning to apply in early action rounds/first rounds this September.Undecided on the schools

Thanks
Sachin

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Sachinpri wrote:
After getting a 650(q50,v27) on my first GMAT online exam ,I took a break of one month to prepare on my weak areas, focussing mostly on Verbal.
I focussed mostly on verbal-reviewing OG questions thoroughly, focussing on SC and CR and taking official mock tests.
On the exam day, I felt like I breezed through the verbal section but I was in for an ugly surprise :(
Got a v23 this time, it looks like the algorithm punished me for getting questions wrong in the initial part of the test. I was not given a chance by the algorithm to recover after a bad performance on the 1st quarter in verbal.
I have been preparing for the GMAT for 3 months, and have given 4 official tests.
I took the last 2 tests in simulated conditions(with masks and ear plugs) and got a 760 and 740 on the tests; there were maybe 3 questions in verbal I had seen previously on the first test but none on the second.
I would really appreciate it if experts could take the time to guide me on where I'm going wrong.
Although my confidence has taken a hit, I still hope guidance in the right areas through analysis of my ESR can help me give one more shot.
Have come too far to give up now. :)

Hello, Sachinpri. I do find myself wondering what went into those thorough reviews of OG questions, since your Verbal performance does not reflect such time spent. If you are reviewing correct answers or, worse, memorizing what makes the answer to a given question correct, then you are missing the point of review. You want to think of the task as your opportunity to be a Verbal question mechanic: you get to take apart an entire question, piece by piece, answer choice by answer choice, and then put everything back together. Just as a mechanic has to clean and inspect each part before reinstalling it, you should be taking the time to comprehend just how a given answer choice operates within the question frame and the information provided in the passage before moving on. Otherwise, you will have lost a valuable chance to set yourself up for success the next time you see a question that may not look the same, but will follow a similar line of logic. To be fair, you missed just two CR questions, so I would ignore the sub-section ranking. However, I would not ignore the average difficulty of the questions, and you seemed to consistently miss low-medium-level questions. At no point did your correct and incorrect dots/segments criss-cross, so the exam seems to have found your ability level pretty well. My guess is that you probably spent a lot of time with Hard questions, when what you should have been doing is devoting time and effort to Easy and Medium questions. Make mistakes there, and you will not reach into the mid-700s, I can assure you. Your accuracy on Easy questions should be at least 80 percent, but 90 can make a world of difference; on Medium, you should be at 75 percent or greater. Until you can reach these benchmarks and consistently meet or exceed them in your practice sets, you have no business worrying about Hard questions. So, yes, I do think it hurt that you missed half the counted questions in the first quarter of the Verbal section, but once you dug that hole for yourself, you did not demonstrate that you should not have been there. SC grammar stands out, since grammatical conventions are the nuts and bolts of the sub-section. You may have to spend more time learning the boring stuff: how to identify subjects and predicates, modifiers, and subject-verb agreement. It appears as though you missed nine counted questions: 4, 1, 1, and 3 by quarter. But you were not missing the right types of questions to walk away with at least a mid-30s score.

By contrast, you appear to have missed the same number of questions in Quant, but they were the right types of questions: 1, 3, 3, and 2 by quarter, all Medium/High by average difficulty. It makes a big difference. (I know of another test-taker who recently reported earning a 50 with just two missed questions, but one of those two was on a dead-average-level question.) I think it is interesting that in the latter half of the section, when you started working faster, probably with an eye on the clock, your accuracy did not really suffer. The best thing you can probably do is to learn to trust your approach to questions, not to attempt to check over everything and make sure you have it just right. In short, I think your Quant is in a pretty decent spot. I am not sure what happened with Counting/Sets/Series on the day. Only you know whether this is consistent with your performance on practice sets or whether you tend to do well on these questions maybe nine times out of ten. If you need to brush up on theory, you need look no further than the Announcements section of the Quantitative main page. However, I suspect that your 49 is readily repeatable, and that with a bit of extra work, you should get to a 50.

Do not read too much into your mock results or your official exam result, and do not put undue pressure on yourself to repeat the results of those high-scoring mocks. Take the time to review those mocks again, without an eye on justifying the correct answer. If you missed a Quant question, for instance, see if you can work out the problem on the spot. If you cannot, or if it takes you a while, look up the problem in the forum and see whether IanStewart or Bunuel has posted a more efficient way of working through that problem. This is what I mean by review. It is not good enough to know how to find an answer to one particular problem if you cannot generalize what you have learned to other problems.

Perhaps you have a few ideas now that may prove helpful to you. Thank you for thinking to ask for my feedback, and thank you for sharing your ESR.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew
Thanks for taking the time out to help analyse my ESR.
I will definitely work on your inputs and try to score better in my next attempt.
However there's one thing that's still nagging me-in the middle two quarters I got about 86 percent of the questions right and it seems like the algorithm didn't give me many difficult questions after my initial performance.It makes me think whether it is important to get questions right initially.
I know that worrying about the complex algorithm too much is not going to help,but just wanted to know if getting things right initially should be a priority before I proceed further.
Would really appreciate your views on this.
Thanks
Sachin

Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Sachinpri wrote:
Hi Andrew
Thanks for taking the time out to help analyse my ESR.
I will definitely work on your inputs and try to score better in my next attempt.
However there's one thing that's still nagging me-in the middle two quarters I got about 86 percent of the questions right and it seems like the algorithm didn't give me many difficult questions after my initial performance.It makes me think whether it is important to get questions right initially.
I know that worrying about the complex algorithm too much is not going to help,but just wanted to know if getting things right initially should be a priority before I proceed further.
Would really appreciate your views on this.
Thanks
Sachin

Hello again, Sachin. Stop trying to game the test. If you place too much emphasis on the first quarter, then you will seize up the next time you sit the exam, take longer than you should to answer those questions, and probably walk away with a similar score and a similar story. The bottom line is that you kept missing questions that were not all too difficult, which is why the test did not throw you harder questions. Yes, the bar might have been set a bit lower after that rough start, but that does not explain why you missed those other five counted questions. Until you can hit accuracy benchmarks consistently, you will keep bouncing around at a lower level and wondering why things did not go your way.

As IanStewart has explained in several threads, the algorithm is not complex at all, but follows basic mathematical principles. He would be a good person to ask if you have follow-up questions on the matter. I have not read any pertinent statements from GMAC™ other than what can be found in the OG. The algorithm itself does not really concern me too much. However it might function, I just want to answer all the questions correctly.

Thank you for following up, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sachin,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Hi Sachinpri

At the outset, we understand the dilemma and the disappointment on the Verbal score.
In fact its a double whammy since its a drop down from V27 to a V23 and another 100 point drop from what you have mentioned in the mock tests.
We suggest to take a couple of days off and get back afresh in another one week.
Starting right away may not be a good idea with the prep.
With a V23, you are at the 31 percentile which indicates a tremendous room to improve. :thumbsup:

Lets look at a couple of things-

-The start hasn't been very good with 4 mistakes, but chances are that the penalty has been brutal due to sequential errors in the first quarter.

-Although, you tried hard to pick up in the second and the third quarter with only one mistake each, it was difficult to recover due the mistakes in the first quarter and the difficulty level of the questions that you got correct has only been slightly raised.

-In the last quarter, with 3 mistakes, you could not raise the graph higher on difficulty and with an average time of 0:52secit seems you have rushed through and again committed sequential errors which has severely affected the score.

You need conceptual clarity on all the 3 sections of verbal(since in none of the sections you have scored above the 80/85th percentile),but don't worry on this bit as its the thorough analysis of the official questions that can help you close the gaps.

The good bit is, your timing on an average has been well managed and you have been good with it in the first three quarters.

Now, the question is what are the next steps ??

Firstly, go through the syllabus and complete understanding the fundamental concepts thoroughly. This is the first step to reboot on the journey.
Why don't you have a look at our free products on the site here and/or go through the Youtube webinars that we have conducted to help you with the concepts?

Then build on the concepts with OG questions, and focus on quality over quantity. May be 10/15 questions a day per topic but please ensure that you have well analyzed them!

Once you have completed the OG analysis, take an official mock test and check the progress.

We would also advise a couple of things on the don'ts-

1. Do not use any unofficial material for practice or self assessment! Use only official materials that is official guide,quant/verbal reviews,official advanced document and official tests from mba.com

2. Do not sideline Quant and consistently prepare from the official advanced document to get back to a minimum of Q50

3.Do not be demotivated by mistakes. Take them as steps of learning and acquire the most from them.

4.Do not straight jump to advanced questions but first improve accuracy in easy(95% and above) and intermediate(85% and above)in verbal with a timer.

5. And finally, do not think of one particular question going incorrect during the test or the mock. Prepare with the understanding and the strategic mindset that its a bunch of 67 questions which you have to strategically move through to get to a great 700+ score.

As a cake of motivation, here is the story of our candidate Prateek who moved the needle from 400 to 770 !

Hope this story reminds you of the achiever within you too :)
Pls let us know if you need any further help and we shall guide you through it.

Crackverbal academics
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sachinpri,

Did you end up retaking your GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Sachinpri wrote:
After getting a 650(q50,v27) on my first GMAT online exam ,I took a break of one month to prepare on my weak areas, focussing mostly on Verbal.
I focussed mostly on verbal-reviewing OG questions thoroughly, focussing on SC and CR and taking official mock tests.
On the exam day, I felt like I breezed through the verbal section but I was in for an ugly surprise :(
Got a v23 this time, it looks like the algorithm punished me for getting questions wrong in the initial part of the test. I was not given a chance by the algorithm to recover after a bad performance on the 1st quarter in verbal.
I have been preparing for the GMAT for 3 months, and have given 4 official tests.
I took the last 2 tests in simulated conditions(with masks and ear plugs) and got a 760 and 740 on the tests; there were maybe 3 questions in verbal I had seen previously on the first test but none on the second.
I would really appreciate it if experts could take the time to guide me on where I'm going wrong.
Although my confidence has taken a hit, I still hope guidance in the right areas through analysis of my ESR can help me give one more shot.
Have come too far to give up now. :)

Hello, Sachinpri. I do find myself wondering what went into those thorough reviews of OG questions, since your Verbal performance does not reflect such time spent. If you are reviewing correct answers or, worse, memorizing what makes the answer to a given question correct, then you are missing the point of review. You want to think of the task as your opportunity to be a Verbal question mechanic: you get to take apart an entire question, piece by piece, answer choice by answer choice, and then put everything back together. Just as a mechanic has to clean and inspect each part before reinstalling it, you should be taking the time to comprehend just how a given answer choice operates within the question frame and the information provided in the passage before moving on. Otherwise, you will have lost a valuable chance to set yourself up for success the next time you see a question that may not look the same, but will follow a similar line of logic. To be fair, you missed just two CR questions, so I would ignore the sub-section ranking. However, I would not ignore the average difficulty of the questions, and you seemed to consistently miss low-medium-level questions. At no point did your correct and incorrect dots/segments criss-cross, so the exam seems to have found your ability level pretty well. My guess is that you probably spent a lot of time with Hard questions, when what you should have been doing is devoting time and effort to Easy and Medium questions. Make mistakes there, and you will not reach into the mid-700s, I can assure you. Your accuracy on Easy questions should be at least 80 percent, but 90 can make a world of difference; on Medium, you should be at 75 percent or greater. Until you can reach these benchmarks and consistently meet or exceed them in your practice sets, you have no business worrying about Hard questions. So, yes, I do think it hurt that you missed half the counted questions in the first quarter of the Verbal section, but once you dug that hole for yourself, you did not demonstrate that you should not have been there. SC grammar stands out, since grammatical conventions are the nuts and bolts of the sub-section. You may have to spend more time learning the boring stuff: how to identify subjects and predicates, modifiers, and subject-verb agreement. It appears as though you missed nine counted questions: 4, 1, 1, and 3 by quarter. But you were not missing the right types of questions to walk away with at least a mid-30s score.

By contrast, you appear to have missed the same number of questions in Quant, but they were the right types of questions: 1, 3, 3, and 2 by quarter, all Medium/High by average difficulty. It makes a big difference. (I know of another test-taker who recently reported earning a 50 with just two missed questions, but one of those two was on a dead-average-level question.) I think it is interesting that in the latter half of the section, when you started working faster, probably with an eye on the clock, your accuracy did not really suffer. The best thing you can probably do is to learn to trust your approach to questions, not to attempt to check over everything and make sure you have it just right. In short, I think your Quant is in a pretty decent spot. I am not sure what happened with Counting/Sets/Series on the day. Only you know whether this is consistent with your performance on practice sets or whether you tend to do well on these questions maybe nine times out of ten. If you need to brush up on theory, you need look no further than the Announcements section of the Quantitative main page. However, I suspect that your 49 is readily repeatable, and that with a bit of extra work, you should get to a 50.

Do not read too much into your mock results or your official exam result, and do not put undue pressure on yourself to repeat the results of those high-scoring mocks. Take the time to review those mocks again, without an eye on justifying the correct answer. If you missed a Quant question, for instance, see if you can work out the problem on the spot. If you cannot, or if it takes you a while, look up the problem in the forum and see whether IanStewart or Bunuel has posted a more efficient way of working through that problem. This is what I mean by review. It is not good enough to know how to find an answer to one particular problem if you cannot generalize what you have learned to other problems.

Perhaps you have a few ideas now that may prove helpful to you. Thank you for thinking to ask for my feedback, and thank you for sharing your ESR.

- Andrew

Dear Andrew,
I retook my GMAT today and got a score of 680(v34q49)
While it may not be a great score, I feel a little positive seeing some progress in my verbal score.
I followed the advice in your past about focussing on the easy and medium level questions first and on the hard questions later.
However with the first round deadlines approaching, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma.
I got a 720 and 760 on the official practice tests 5 and 6,with v38 and v42 respectively and I'm sure I did not see more than 2 repeat questions in either of them.
I still feel I can improve my score a little bit with some effort but I have run out of resources and retaking the test means missing out on Round 1 deadlines.
I would really appreciate it if you could share your views on this.
Thanks in advance.
Sachin
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Requesting Evaluation of my ESR [#permalink]
Have attached my ESR for kind review and feedback by experts.
bb GMATNinja ScottTargetTestPrep CrackVerbal EMPOWERgmatRichC IanStewart AndrewN
Attachments

File comment: My ESR
esr sachin (1).pdf [493.28 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I glanced at your ESR, and it largely looks normal for a test taker at your level -- you're great at Quant, and paced yourself well in that section, and did very well. I'm not surprised you've had several Q50 scores, and I'm sure you can get a Q50 again on the real test without doing any work. In Verbal, you also did very well, and the only issue is that you ran short on time, and didn't perform at your ability level near the end of the test. If you can find a way to speed up slightly in Verbal without compromising your accuracy, your score will go up by a few points. That's easy to say, but hard to do, but maybe you can ask a dedicated Verbal expert for advice about Verbal pacing.

Besides improving your Verbal pacing, I'm not sure you really need to do anything to get into the 720+ range, so you might consider taking another test very soon, because there's a reasonable chance you'll get a better score even without much preparation. Obviously there's no guarantee, but that might give you one more shot at a better GMAT score before first round applications, depending where you're applying.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sachinpri,

After checking out your ESR it did not take long to see that verbal, and more specifically RC and CR are your major issues. With that in mind, here are two articles that you may find helpful:

GMAT Critical Reasoning: 8 Essential Tips

GMAT Reading Comprehension Tips: Top 8 DOs and DON’Ts

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
I glanced at your ESR, and it largely looks normal for a test taker at your level -- you're great at Quant, and paced yourself well in that section, and did very well. I'm not surprised you've had several Q50 scores, and I'm sure you can get a Q50 again on the real test without doing any work. In Verbal, you also did very well, and the only issue is that you ran short on time, and didn't perform at your ability level near the end of the test. If you can find a way to speed up slightly in Verbal without compromising your accuracy, your score will go up by a few points. That's easy to say, but hard to do, but maybe you can ask a dedicated Verbal expert for advice about Verbal pacing.

Besides improving your Verbal pacing, I'm not sure you really need to do anything to get into the 720+ range, so you might consider taking another test very soon, because there's a reasonable chance you'll get a better score even without much preparation. Obviously there's no guarantee, but that might give you one more shot at a better GMAT score before first round applications, depending where you're applying.

Got a 720(q49v39)after retaking the test today.
Thank you so much for your advice.
I owe a lot to this forum.
Will be sharing a debrief soon.

Sachin

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sachinpri wrote:

V23 to V39 is just extraordinary progress.

Hearty congratulations Sachin :thumbsup: .
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sachinpri wrote:
Thank you so much for your advice.

Congratulations! I was sure your score would improve a lot with a retake, but it's great to see that you not only raised your score, but you even reached your score goal -- that's an outstanding result. I'm happy to hear everything worked out so well.
GMAT Club Bot