Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Research data indicate that there is a great deal of poverty in the Un [#permalink]
Moderators workout SajjadAhmad please correct the Spolier OAs in the Passage Questions as Spoiler OAs are different in two portions .
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32922 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Research data indicate that there is a great deal of poverty in the Un [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi

I have just verified, OAs are same in both areas.

Thanks

LoneSurvivor wrote:
Moderators workout SajjadAhmad please correct the Spolier OAs in the Passage Questions as Spoiler OAs are different in two portions .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Research data indicate that there is a great deal of poverty in the Un [#permalink]
Quote:
1. The passage suggests that the United States government’s policy towards providing wage supplements to parents whose wages are low is
(A) considered ill advised by most economists who have studied the issue
(B) based on assumptions about the appropriate sources of family income
(C) under revision in response to criticism from some policy analysts
(D) capable of eliminating wage inequality but not of raising incomes for both women and men
(E) applicable to single-parent families headed by women but not to single-parent families headed by men

GMATNinja How is B correct? The assumption is an independent one and the government's policy is not based on this assumption. Shouldn't the answer instead be D (I eliminated other four)?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
admission2020 wrote:
Quote:
1. The passage suggests that the United States government’s policy towards providing wage supplements to parents whose wages are low is
(B) based on assumptions about the appropriate sources of family income
(D) capable of eliminating wage inequality but not of raising incomes for both women and men
(E) applicable to single-parent families headed by women but not to single-parent families headed by men

GMATNinja How is B correct? The assumption is an independent one and the government's policy is not based on this assumption. Shouldn't the answer instead be D (I eliminated other four)?

Take another look at the relevant piece of the passage:
Quote:
[The policy analysts] challenge the government’s assumption that a family’s income should depend primarily on wages and urge the government to provide generous wage supplements (child and housing allowances) to single parents whose wages are low.

The phrase "the government's assumption" tells of that the government is, indeed, the entity assuming that "a family’s income should depend primarily on wages." Based on this assumption, the government currently does not provide generous wage supplements to single parents whose wages are low. While independent policy analysts are challenging this assumption, the assumption itself comes from the government and informs the government's current policy. (B) is the correct answer.

Now look at (D):
Quote:

As stated above, the government currently does not provide generous wage supplements, so there is no evidence in the passage to support that the policy impacts either wage inequality or income level at all. In addition, such supplements would not necessarily be capable of eliminating wage inequality -- other measures, such as enforcing equal pay laws and shifting to the comparable worth standard, are noted in the passage as potential avenues toward that goal. The policy analysts are urging the government to provide wage supplements not to address wage inequality, but to solve the issue of "low wages coupled with single parenthood, regardless of sex."

For these reasons, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Is question 2 supposed to be correct. The policy analysts are not mentioned in line 8. They obviously support govt subsidies but that is not in line 8.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Send PM
Titir wrote:
A. considered ill advised by most economists who have studied the issue
No such mention in the passage
B. based on assumptions about the appropriate sources of family income
"As a solution, they challenge the government's assumption that a family’s income should depend primarily on wages and urge the government to provide generous wage supplements
(child and housing allowances) to single parents whose wages are low."

C. under revision in response to criticism from some policy analysts
The passage mentions that Analysts have urged government to provide wage supplements. No mention whether givernment has already accepted the proposal and revising the policy.
D. capable of eliminating wage inequality but not of raising incomes for both women and men
" These policy analysts believe that the problem is not caused primarily by wage inequity but rather by low wages coupled with single parent hood, regardless of sex. As a
solution, they challenge the government's assumption that a family’s income should depend primarily on wages and urge the government to provide generous wage supplements
(child and housing allowances) to single parents whose wages are low."

E. applicable to single-parent families headed by women but not to single-parent families headed by men
"urge the government to provide generous wage supplements (child and housing allowances) to single parents whose wages are low."

Even tho I didnt understand B correctly, i found out that it was easier to eliminate the choices. which then left B and i was surprized that i was correct.
the phrase "sources of income" did throw me off which i understood reading this post.....so thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Sir EducationAisle

For Q1, I picked option D. I understood why option B is the right answer, but am not able to figure out why D is wrong. Is it because of the word "virtually"? By using this word is the passage trying to say that it hasn't happened yet but might or might not happen?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Research data indicate that there is a great deal of poverty in the Un [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vishalcv wrote:
Hello Sir EducationAisle

For Q1, I picked option D. I understood why option B is the right answer, but am not able to figure out why D is wrong. Is it because of the word "virtually"? By using this word is the passage trying to say that it hasn't happened yet but might or might not happen?

Hi Vishal, you might want to go thru GMATNinja's reply here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Paraphrasing:
1. Research data indicate that
Problem: poverty single parent families headed by women.
Could be reason: women’s wages are only 60 percent of men.

2. Some economists believe that
Promote : enforcement of existing equal pay laws
Equal Pay law claims: doing the same jobs be paid the same.

Other economists argue that
Promote: Comparable worth standard

3. Some policy analysts assert that,
Contrast view: many single parent families headed by women would remain in poverty
Reason: because many men earn wages that are below the poverty line.
Believes: the problem is not wage inequity but (low wages + single parenthood)

Solution by Policy Analysts:
challenge the government’s assumption that a family’s income should depend primarily on wages
and
urge the government to provide generous wage supplements to single parents whose wages are low.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The passage suggests that
the United States government’s policy towards providing wage supplements to parents
whose wages are low is

Suggest that = Solution presented by Policy Analysts
Correct option B: (based on assumptions about the appropriate sources of family income)
as mentioned above, as it deals with single parents (irrespective of sex) whose wages are low and

Wrong: government consider ill advise by most economist, is illogical to support the passage suggestion
Wrong: “under revision” – not mentioned in the passage, can be consider – OFS
(D) capable of eliminating wage inequality
but not of raising incomes for both women and men
Wrong: this is regarding some economist believe and some economist not, but does not support any to policy providing wage supplements to parents
(E) applicable to single-parent families headed by women
but not to single-parent families headed by men
Wrong: suggestion from policy analysist deals with single parent (irrespective of sex), not specifically to only women or men

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Which of the following is most clearly an example of the policy
advocated by the policy analysts mentioned in line 8?

Some policy analysts assert that,
Contrast view to other economists: many single parent families headed by women would remain in poverty
Reason: because many men earn wages that are below the poverty line.
Believes: the problem is not wage inequity but (low wages + single parenthood)

Correct option (E)
A government provides
large rent subsidies to single parents
whose wages are less than half the average worker’s wage.
Correct: Deals with low wages + single parenthood (irrespective of sex)

(A) A government provides training to women
who wish to move out of occupations in which women are concentrated.
Wrong: Deals only with Women
(B) A government supports research that analyzes
the connection between wage inequality and
poverty among single-parent families headed by women.
Wrong: Deals only with Women
(C) A government surveys
wages annually to make certain that
women and men in the same jobs receive the same pay.
Wrong: Promotes comparable worth pay, this is contrast to some policy analysts view
(D) A government
analyzes jobs in terms of the education and responsibility they require and
publishes a list of jobs that should be considered equivalent for wage purposes.
Wrong: Out of scope

3.According to the passage,
some economists believe that,
in the United States, there would be smaller differences between
the wages of women and men who do the same jobs if

“Some economists believe that rigorous enforcement of existing equal pay laws would substantially decrease this wage inequity.”
Correct Option:
(A) equal pay laws were enforced more fully

(B) more stringent equal pay laws were passed
Wrong: does not speaks about stringent or were passed
(C) a more rigorous comparable worth standard were developed and applied
Wrong: Stem has meaning error, this stem as mentioned in the passage
- does not believe but argue!
- Highlights about standards to be developed and applied, not about already available to be implement.
Other economists argue that
a comparable worth standard, which would mandate that women and men in any jobs that require comparable training and responsibility be paid the same,
should be applied instead

(D) more men entered the occupations in which women are concentrated
Wrong: Out of scope
(E) women received the same kind and amount of job training that men receive
Wrong: concentrates only on requirement of training for women, not about pay or policy implementation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Referring to the line - "Since gender concentration exists (for example, 80 percent of clerical workers are women), other economists argue that a comparable worth standard, which would mandate that women and men in any jobs that require comparable training and responsibility be paid the same, should be applied instead"

what is wrong with option E of Q3?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 3

rashwiniyer wrote:
Referring to the line - "Since gender concentration exists (for example, 80 percent of clerical workers are women), other economists argue that a comparable worth standard, which would mandate that women and men in any jobs that require comparable training and responsibility be paid the same, should be applied instead"

what is wrong with option E of Q3?

According to the bit of the passage that you've quoted, "comparable worth" means that people who are ALREADY in different jobs that require the same amount of training should be paid the same. For instance, if it takes six months to become a clerk and six months to become a taxi driver, then clerks and taxi drivers should be paid equally.

So, no one in the passage is arguing that "women [should receive] the same kind and amount of job training that men receive," as stated in (E). They just think that women who ALREADY have the same amount of training as men should be paid equally, even if they are working in different roles.

(E) is out for question 3.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts