Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [33]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32000 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V49
GMAT 2: 790 Q51 V50 (Online)
Send PM
Research has shown that shoppers who purchase garments in a "luxury" [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
would you please revisit explanation of A? how can this be a weakener ? It is written "unlikely"

You're completely correct--I think the post you were referencing accidentally took the counterposition to (A). As (A) stands, it is a good thing for sales of angora if the angora rabbit isn't threatened by the new disease. However, rather than acting as a real strengthener to the argument, (A) is actually an assumption. This difference is subtle, as assumptions do fundamentally support an argument, but essentially you can think of (A) as a prerequisite the conclusion's success (this must be true, or the conclusion will be in serious trouble) but not really as an active contributor to its success (because knowing that there are angora rabbits doesn't actually offer any evidence to support the contention that people will substitute angora for cashmere).

Now, why is B incorrect?

Option (B) falls victim to the same error as option (A). This new information is pretty important to the argument, as if the opposite is true--that people can tell the difference between cashmere and angora--then it casts doubt on the conclusion, which relies (again) on the idea that people will willingly substitute angora products for cashmere products. However, while knowing from (B) that the two materials are hard for most people to distinguish from one another makes this conclusion believable, it doesn't really help the conclusion as much as (D). For one thing, most people don't buy cashmere or angora, meaning that even if most people can't tell the difference, the minority of people who actually buy items made of these materials might still be able to distinguish between them. Also, even if we assume they can't practically tell the difference between cashmere and angora, that's not great evidence that they'll buy angora instead--it just opens up the possibility. So while it does somewhat help the conclusion, it's easy to conceive of an answer that does a better job.

Option (D) does that better job in two ways: it discusses buyers of luxury fabrics specifically, and it tells us that for those buyers, cashmere and angora occupy a similar niche. This makes it very believable that an increase in cashmere prices will push would-be cashmere buyers into buying angora and so positively supports the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools: ISB '23 (WL)
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Research has shown that shoppers who purchase garments in a "luxury" [#permalink]
Hi carcass chetan2u mikemcgarry

Reason to eliminate B given in Magoosh's OA: People can confuse cashmere (C) with fake cashmere and buy ithe fake one more.. what? How can we even imply that? All we have been told that people cant tell the difference between 'cashmere (C) and angora (A)'. Also passage says that 'disease has significantly reduced the amount of C available on the market'

Doesn't customers 'not able to differentiate C and A
AND
C being less on the market'
DIRECTLY imply that people would purchase A more?

I am not saying that D is incorrect. I agree that if people have same reasons to buy both C and A, they might purchase A more in absence of C.
But B says 'most' and D doesn't tell anything about the fraction of users citing similar reasons to purchase.
B is stronger.

Kindly shed some light. Thanks
School Moderator - LBS Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Research has shown that shoppers who purchase garments in a "luxury" [#permalink]
ManishKM1 wrote:
Research has shown that shoppers who purchase garments in a "luxury" material, such as cashmere or angora, are likely to purchase garments in more than one other luxury materials, as well. A recent livestock disease has significantly reduced the amount of cashmere available on the market. This, in turn, has driven up the prices of the cashmere products still available for purchase. We can therefore conclude that more people will be buying angora items of clothing this year than they did in previous years.

Which of the following, if true, best supports the claim that more people will be buying angora clothing this year?

A) Any disease that affects a bovid such as the cashmere goat is unlikely to cross the biological order line and affect lagomorphs such as the angora rabbit.
B) Most consumers cannot tell the difference between cashmere and angora, which are both expensive and similar in texture.
C) When the price of one luxury item sharply rises, many other luxury items see a slight increase in price.
D) In a recent study, shoppers who had recently purchased a garment in a luxury material cited similar reasons for buying angora as buying cashmere.
E) The sales of luxury items are far less sensitive to price fluctuations than are most inexpensive staple items.

Thinking about A, that does not make sense. If it were true that it was unlikely - what implications would that have for the conclusion? None really. We need something that relates to the conclusion.

Moving on to B, which is quite tricky! It touches upon both cashemere and angora, and say that they are similar. Thoug, if this were tru, what would that mean? Nothing really. It does not indicate anything about the willingness to purchase.

C does nothing but weakens the argument if true.

D is what we are looking for. Lets say that the reasons are the structure mentioned before. If this was true - than it is more likely that they will buy angora.

E is irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: Research has shown that shoppers who purchase garments in a "luxury" [#permalink]
This is a very loose ended question for supporting a claim. Although D is the correct answer, which I got correct through the process of elimination. All the options need some amount of assumption, with D being the least in that bracket.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts