Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 13:10 It is currently 12 May 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 808 [15]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1785 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Researchers recently discovered an unusually high concentration of har [#permalink]
Can you explain why C is not the correct choice ..
I was stuck between b and c
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Re: Researchers recently discovered an unusually high concentration of har [#permalink]
Kudos
Well, I put B in the contender, but then I rejected B because of the word "significant health effects", the increased levels of harmful metals were insufficent to result in significant health effects, but it actually can result in unsignificant health effects or health effects in general, therefore, the residents should have the filter system installed in their homes. Then this choice should strengthen the plan

Please correct my reasoning above. Thanks!
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [2]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Researchers recently discovered an unusually high concentration of har [#permalink]
Kudos
lybeaver wrote:
Well, I put B in the contender, but then I rejected B because of the word "significant health effects", the increased levels of harmful metals were insufficent to result in significant health effects, but it actually can result in unsignificant health effects or health effects in general, therefore, the residents should have the filter system installed in their homes. Then this choice should strengthen the plan

lybeaver, It's good to be watchful!
However, Let's Deep-dive!
Conclusion:
    New WaterFlterSystem filters almost all ---------> All the residents SHOULD have the WaterFlterSystem installed in their homes, regardless of expense.

Pre-Think:
    Assumption: The increased levels of harmful metals are harmful ENOUGH to cause adverse effects on health.

B. The increased levels of harmful metals were insufficient to result in significant health effects.
    If the increased levels of harmful metals were INSUFFICIENT to result in significant health effects, then WHY should the residents NEED to install it.
    - That too, at whatever expense.

To answer your query:
Quote:
it actually CAN result in insignificant health effects or health effects in general, therefore, the residents should have the filter system installed in their homes. Then this choice should strengthen the plan
    Notice the passage states that the increased levels are INSUFFICIENT to result in significant health effects.
    Implying, - it actually CAN result in insignificant health effects or health effects in general., is an inference mistake of the answer choice.
      Did OptionB states that the increased levels of harmful metals were sufficient ENOUGH to affect in health effects OR health effects in general? NO.
    Look at this way:
      If one does NOT study diligently and work hard --------> One would fail.
        Does it imply?
      if one DOES study diligently and work hard --------> One will DEFINITELY pass.
        NO. It's NOT necessarily conclusive. There might be other factors such as test-taking ability, test-surroundings, mindset, mental condition, etc.

You did an error of mistaken-negation of a conditional statement.
      If X ------> Y
        ----- does NOT imply ----->
          If NOT X ------> NOT Y
    Moreover,
      Something CAN does NOT necessarily mean it ACTUALLY does, unless backed by the coherent answer choice. - Capacity vs Certainty

Even if increased levels CAN result in insignificant health effects, the effects are STILL insignificant. - Unlikely to cause adverse health hazard/issue.

TakeAway:
    You lose this Q not because you did not know how a weakener works (Infact, I believe you very well do!) , but because you did an inference mistake from a right-answer choice. - An unintended yet, costly mistake in GMAT.
    Always ASPIRE to find 4 incorrect answer choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Xylan: Thanks so much! Your explanation is an eye opener!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 219 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
IMO B

Conclusion : residents should install filters due to increased metals .

If the increased metals have no negative health impact , then why we should filter them .

We do not need filter at all.

So B is correct answer .

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
I was down to B and E and chose E in the end. Could someone please tell me why E was eliminated?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
What is the source of this question?

There is no mention of the information - that the level of contamination has increased. It just says that high level of contamination is found.

So, option B suggesting the "increased" contamination seems out of context while option C which states that the other contamination can also be part of the water seems like something to weaken the conclusion but again it doesn't talk about the fact if the filter can help with those.

So, the argument of installing the filter based on the fact that almost all harmful contamination is removed by it is shaky at its core.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
XyLan wrote:
lybeaver wrote:

lybeaver, It's good to be watchful!
However, Let's Deep-dive!
Conclusion:
    New WaterFlterSystem filters almost all ---------> All the residents SHOULD have the WaterFlterSystem installed in their homes, regardless of expense.

Pre-Think:
    Assumption: The increased levels of harmful metals are harmful ENOUGH to cause adverse effects on health.

B. The increased levels of harmful metals were insufficient to result in significant health effects.
    If the increased levels of harmful metals were INSUFFICIENT to result in significant health effects, then WHY should the residents NEED to install it.
    - That too, at whatever expense.

To answer your query:
Quote:
it actually CAN result in insignificant health effects or health effects in general, therefore, the residents should have the filter system installed in their homes. Then this choice should strengthen the plan
    Notice the passage states that the increased levels are INSUFFICIENT to result in significant health effects.
    Implying, - it actually CAN result in insignificant health effects or health effects in general., is an inference mistake of the answer choice.
      Did OptionB states that the increased levels of harmful metals were sufficient ENOUGH to affect in health effects OR health effects in general? NO.
    Look at this way:
      If one does NOT study diligently and work hard --------> One would fail.
        Does it imply?
      if one DOES study diligently and work hard --------> One will DEFINITELY pass.
        NO. It's NOT necessarily conclusive. There might be other factors such as test-taking ability, test-surroundings, mindset, mental condition, etc.

You did an error of mistaken-negation of a conditional statement.
      If X ------> Y
        ----- does NOT imply ----->
          If NOT X ------> NOT Y
    Moreover,
      Something CAN does NOT necessarily mean it ACTUALLY does, unless backed by the coherent answer choice. - Capacity vs Certainty

Even if increased levels CAN result in insignificant health effects, the effects are STILL insignificant. - Unlikely to cause adverse health hazard/issue.

TakeAway:
    You lose this Q not because you did not know how a weakener works (Infact, I believe you very well do!) , but because you did an inference mistake from a right-answer choice. - An unintended yet, costly mistake in GMAT.
    Always ASPIRE to find 4 incorrect answer choices.

Sorry, but I am not able yo find - "increased level" - causing harm statement in the passage. Rather it says - High level contamination - > causes harm - > filter helps - > install filter. So we should attack premise - filter helps.

What am I doing wrong here?

Please guide me.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts